Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Lunatic

I'd ignore them. What matters is that YOU trust the breeder.

Whether you adopt or purchase a cat is nobody else's business and they shouldn't butt in and try to dictate your personal life. Tell them to ******** off and mind their own business.

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
If someone asks just say you rescued her.

All of my cats honestly are rescues. 3 of them are purebred.

User Image
Lily (the one on the left. Died last Summer. cry )
User Image
User Image

Devoted Inquisitor

Pit Bull Kisses

Why though?

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Pit Bull Kisses

User Image
User Image
User Image

Ahh the top two look like the himalayan my mom rescued when I was younger, we got her from a backyard breeder, we paid 75$ for a kitten we thought was going to die, but we nursed her back to health and had her for 12 years.

I don't feel like I should have to lie about it though and she very obviously isn't a rescue as she's a pretty rare colourpoint as well.
She's a lilac-cream with lynx point striped markings, she's the thin and elegant type of Siamese as well (she's the kitten in my signature, although she is fully grown now).

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Latrans
Pit Bull Kisses

Why though?

People have really strong feeling about buying from breeders. It doesn't matter that she wanted a certain breed. People are still going to think she is an awful person because she bought verses adopt. Is she an awful person? Probably not, but she's still going to be treated like one if she tells people where she got her cat. She can tell them she rescued the cat , she can ignore the fact that she has a second cat, or she can deal with people attacking her for buying from a breeder.

I was in a similar situation before. I'd be asked what kind of dogs I had and when I would say pit bull mixes I would be verbally attacked. It came to a point where I just started saying I had mutts (which they basically are), but then I decided that I wasn't going lie anymore. If someone wants to tell me that I'm putting my kids lives in danger or that I'm going to regret it when my dogs kill someone then fine. They aren't going to make me feel like I'm doing something wrong by owning them. Just like the OP shouldn't feel bad for buying her cat if she feels that was the right decision. Obviously she loves her cat and when it comes down to it that's all that really matters.

9,125 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
AngelBiscuits
Pit Bull Kisses

User Image
User Image
User Image

Ahh the top two look like the himalayan my mom rescued when I was younger, we got her from a backyard breeder, we paid 75$ for a kitten we thought was going to die, but we nursed her back to health and had her for 12 years.

I don't feel like I should have to lie about it though and she very obviously isn't a rescue as she's a pretty rare colourpoint as well.
She's a lilac-cream with lynx point striped markings, she's the thin and elegant type of Siamese as well (she's the kitten in my signature, although she is fully grown now).

I got the top left from the county shelter. She was a former siamese breeding cat. (That's what they shelter told me anyway.) Obviously not a good breeder. The top left my aunt dropped off at my house and begged me to keep. She bred her Balinese even though she knew her husband didn't want kittens. She got rid of all the kittens but that one and her husband said if she didn't get rid of it that day he was going to kill it. The black persian and the Himalayan are ones my other aunt got and then she decided she wanted a dog. She was going to take them to the county shelter where they are so full they probably would have never made it to the adoption floor.

As for your cat, People have really strong feeling about buying from breeders. It doesn't matter if you wanted a certain breed. People are still going to think you are an awful person because you bought verses adopted. Are you an awful person? Probably not, but you still are going to be treated like one if you tell people where you got your cat. You can tell them you rescued the cat , you can ignore the fact that you have a second cat, or you can deal with people attacking you for buying from a breeder. You shouldn't feel bad for buying your cat if you feel that was the right decision. Obviously you love your cat and when it comes down to it that's all that really matters.
(and yes I did just copy and paste my reply to Latrans and change the pronouns.)

Devoted Inquisitor

Pit Bull Kisses
Latrans
Pit Bull Kisses

Why though?

People have really strong feeling about buying from breeders. It doesn't matter that she wanted a certain breed. People are still going to think she is an awful person because she bought verses adopt. Is she an awful person? Probably not, but she's still going to be treated like one if she tells people where she got her cat. She can tell them she rescued the cat , she can ignore the fact that she has a second cat, or she can deal with people attacking her for buying from a breeder.

I was in a similar situation before. I'd be asked what kind of dogs I had and when I would say pit bull mixes I would be verbally attacked. It came to a point where I just started saying I had mutts (which they basically are), but then I decided that I wasn't going lie anymore. If someone wants to tell me that I'm putting my kids lives in danger or that I'm going to regret it when my dogs kill someone then fine. They aren't going to make me feel like I'm doing something wrong by owning them. Just like the OP shouldn't feel bad for buying her cat if she feels that was the right decision. Obviously she loves her cat and when it comes down to it that's all that really matters.

Gotcha.

I guess I've never understood feeling bad about buying the dog or cat you want, and so placating others by lying wouldn't occur to me. Thank you for explaining; it's a solution to the problem people-being-rude, not about where she SHOULD have gotten the animal. Makes sense!

Celestial Dog

People get a little too self-righteous when it comes to adoption vs. breeders sometimes. As long as you got the cat from a responsible breeder, you're fine.

Yes, adoption is super super super important since there are tons of cats out there who need homes, but that doesn't make you a monster for giving a cat bought from a breeder a home.

Dapper Dabbler

Q2k
People get a little too self-righteous when it comes to adoption vs. breeders sometimes. As long as you got the cat from a responsible breeder, you're fine.

Yes, adoption is super super super important since there are tons of cats out there who need homes, but that doesn't make you a monster for giving a cat bought from a breeder a home.
I
Basically, this.
I've adopted all my kitties, but I'm not going to flip out on people who choose to buy from a reputable breeder. I mean, I'd rather people give adoption a try, but if you don't bond with any cats (or dogs) at your local shelter then you can't really force yourself to adopt. That wouldn't be right for anyone involved.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff