Welcome to Gaia! ::

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Article:

Quote:
A SCHOOL in Nebraska has instructed its teachers to stop addressing students collectively as “boys and girls” when getting their attention in the classroom.
According to independent news website Nebraska Watchdog, the teachers were last week given a training document asking them to refrain from using gendered expressions like “boys and girls”, “you guys” and “ladies and gentlemen” and instead say something like “hey campers” or even more bizarrely “purple penguins.”
The recommendations are part of a list titled “12 steps on the way to gender inclusiveness” developed by an organisation called Gender Spectrum.
The handout also asked teachers to stop asking children to line up in rows of girls and boys, and ask them to line up depending on their preferences: “summer or winter, dogs or cats, skateboards or bikes.”
Step 3 suggests that teachers provide an opportunity for every student to identify a preferred name or pronoun at the beginning of the year and Step 6 asks teachers to inquire when they hear students referencing gender in a binary manner and ask “what makes you say that?” to start a discussion about gender stereotypes.
Lincoln Superintendent Steve Joel said the training manuals were introduced because the school district “wants all children to be successful and not feel like outcasts or be afraid to go to school,” Nebraska Watchdog reports.
According to Mr Joel, the school is currently in the process of rethinking how they use gendered locker rooms and bathrooms.
If teachers are offended by the training material, the are advised meet with their principal to discuss their concerns, Mr Joel said.
The program has received a range of feedback, with some parents praising the school for being inclusive, and other parents condemning the change.

Training document.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/why-teachers-cant-call-kids-boys-and-girls-anymore/story-fngqim8m-1227085105637

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
What the hell is wrong with people? This is ridiculous.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
I know some others that are also very genderless words to use.

SHUT UP BRATS!

All you Monsters.

Okay you bundles of fluff.

Hey Tiny Terrors....

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Getting....headache...too...liberal...now...just ridiculousness...*eye twitch*

Adorable Fisher

If I were a teacher I don't know how I'd feel about this. I am transgender myself, and even I think that goes too far. I know a ton of non-binary youth, and most of them are fine with the "boys and girls" line. Its a part of life. How are we going to prepare youth for real life? The non-binary bubble doesn't exist in the real world, and most people in the real world are convinced that the world only consists of men and women and nothing else. I'm all for people identifying how they want to, but for godsakes. I also think that this system perhaps makes transgender issues less taken seriously.

Dapper Lunatic

I'm all for inclusiveness, gender equality, and complete freedom of gender expression, but this word policing is just silly. It doesn't hurt kids to hear the words "boys and girls." Honestly now...
Alexander J Luthor
What the hell is wrong with people? This is ridiculous.

No it's not. It's inclusiveness and not ostracizing an entire group of people in a place they spend most of their time. The gender binary is a Euro-centric false concept that harms EVERYONE. It leads to sexism and gender roles/stereotypes. All it is is a simple change in language which is NOT a hard thing.

xXFurygeistXx
Getting....headache...too...liberal...now...just ridiculousness...*eye twitch*

So inclusiveness and creating a good, healthy school experienece for kids is a part of liberalism? Good to know that all conservatives are bigots who don't give a s**t about kids. rolleyes

Tipsy Smoker

It will be interesting how things turn out.
MarigoldMari
If I were a teacher I don't know how I'd feel about this. I am transgender myself, and even I think that goes too far. I know a ton of non-binary youth, and most of them are fine with the "boys and girls" line. Its a part of life. How are we going to prepare youth for real life? The non-binary bubble doesn't exist in the real world, and most people in the real world are convinced that the world only consists of men and women and nothing else. I'm all for people identifying how they want to, but for godsakes. I also think that this system perhaps makes transgender issues less taken seriously.

How does asking someone to change their language only slightly "go too far"? That's like when people say using non binary pronouns "goes too far". Are you going to advocate against that now?

Yes the world sucks but to change the world you have to start somewhere and school is the PERFECT place to start.

PS. I can bet the reason your non binary friends accep the term "boys and girls" is because they have to. If they had a chance to make it so no one used binary terms like that I bet they'd jump on it.

Dreaming_Drifter
I'm all for inclusiveness, gender equality, and complete freedom of gender expression, but this word policing is just silly. It doesn't hurt kids to hear the words "boys and girls." Honestly now...

How do you know if it doesn't hurt kids? It's just as bad as refering to all couples as boy and girl couples. It teaches kids that they are abnormal and can hurt them psycologically which is the last thing we want to do seeing as suicide rates are so high in non cishet youth.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
"Line up, ya little ********!"

Dapper Lunatic

Mei tsuki7
How do you know if it doesn't hurt kids? It's just as bad as refering to all couples as boy and girl couples. It teaches kids that they are abnormal and can hurt them psycologically which is the last thing we want to do seeing as suicide rates are so high in non cishet youth.

Admittedly I don't have evidence or proof backing up my opinion, hence why it's just an opinion... though I'd like to see evidence for your claim that the words "boys and girls" are specifically harmful to non-binary students.

Of course, gender-neutral terms probably won't harm students either. In my personal opinion, I just think it's a little excessive.
Mei tsuki7

God ******** dammit, I'm praying your kidding here with this proposed connection...
Dreaming_Drifter
Mei tsuki7

Admittedly I don't have evidence or proof backing up my opinion, hence why it's just an opinion... though I'd like to see evidence for your claim that the words "boys and girls" are specifically harmful to non-binary students.

Of course, gender-neutral terms probably won't harm students either. In my personal opinion, I just think it's a little excessive.

I already explained how it's harmful. It teaches non binary students that they are abnormal which leads to many issues such as low self exteem and suicidal thoughts. Just like refering to all couples as boy and girl couples shows gay kids the same.

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
.... What? That's just silly and accomplishes nothing.

Yes yes, let's just waste time implementing pointless restrictions while ignoring far more important issues in our schools.

King Noob

I love how we have to change our language to cater to a small minority. lol

This is so asinine it just... lol I can't deal.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff