Welcome to Gaia! ::

I wouldn't say that 5 Seconds of Summer is one of my favorite bands, but I am a fan of some of their music. I do believe they are pop punk. They play their own instruments and work just as hard as any other band. I feel like they are overly-judged just because of the context of their fanbase. Why is it that, just because a band is mainly appealing to females, they have to be considered a "bubblegum pop boy band" and constantly compared to One Direction? I love One Direction, but no, they don't play their own instruments, and they aren't the same type of musicians as the boys of 5SOS. Both groups work hard, but they do have their differences.

5SOS became very lucky to have been given the opportunity to open for 1D during tour, but, because of that, many people will forever lump the two groups into the same category. I would personally compare 5SOS to All Time Low, not even just because the two groups have distinct friendships with one another. They are both bands of only males with a primarily female fanbase. Most people don't seem to have a problem calling ATL pop punk? 5SOS may be played on the radio due to their increased popularity, but I do not believe they can be considered a strictly pop band. Their roots and basis of what they wanted to be was a band similar to Blink 182. No, they certainly don't have the same sound necessarily, but they have worked just as hard. So I think it is right to give credit where credit is due.
Not punk at all!!!!!!!!!

Plain pop

A pretty boy, I can maybe play an instrument band
I like 5sos but I think they are more like one direction lol

Dapper Smoker

They fall more into the category of pop and that's about the extent. When I think pop punk, I immediately think All Time Low, Yellowcard, and New Found Glory.
They're easily described as having strong melodic rhythms, harmonizing vocals, occasional strings, somewhat edgey, but soft lyrics, and occasional synthesizing.

High-functioning Phantom

10,575 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Divorced 100
5scauce is not a punk band set yourself on fire like clifford the big red dog's hair

High-functioning Daredevil

15,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
How about we try some demonstrations.

Punk (Slightly NSFW if you've never seen it... I mean to those teenagers that were too young when it came out, also perfect example of a great punk music video.)
blink-182 - What's My Age Again?

Love song, and selling out to an underwear brand? (How much did American Apparel pay to have them say their brand?)
5 Seconds Of Summer - She Looks So Perfect

2000's English Rock (A band I'd pick over the 1D people.)
Arctic Monkeys - Teddy Picker

Another love song? (Is this a reoccuring trend I see?)
5 Seconds Of Summer - Good Girls

Old Punk Rock
The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated

A sob story break-up song for once, but sounds cliché and... Not very sincere. (Such saddness, much cry baby.)
5 Seconds Of Summer - Amnesia

Pop punk break up song. (But could probably be read as emo. Which isn't bad.)
Fall Out Boy - My Heart Is The Worst Kind Of Weapon

And now finally an original song
blink-182 - I Miss You

Versus its douchey cover song
I Miss You - 5 Seconds of Summer

(Which is literally the same thing 1D did with Wheatus when they covered teenage dirtbag. And all the little tweens love 1D but wouldn't know who Wheatus is.)

Example:
Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag

One Direction - Teenage Dirtbag

(Also an Iron Maiden reference that tweens wouldn't understand.)
Best way to explain 5sos is with this.

Bashful Bookworm

11,125 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
4laugh Pop Rock for sure but it could change in the future, especially with their new album coming out this year! yum_puddi yum_strawberry yum_puddi yum_strawberry yum_puddi yum_strawberry yum_puddi

Bashful Bookworm

11,125 Points
  • Runway Supermodel 1000
  • The Sweetest 250
  • The Edgiest 250
okay, the only reason everyone classifies them as a boy band is because of the management over their music, their studio versions of their songs are made to sound like a boy band because they have tour with one direction and it brings more money to their company. If you listen to their live audio from their concerts you will actually see they're more then just pop music. I'd consider them pop-Rock right now, although their new album will be out soon so who knows what might of changed... yum_strawberry yum_strawberry yum_puddi yum_puddi talk2hand talk2hand

15,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
HOLY s**t! I SWEAR THEY'RE LIKE A CLICK FIVE BAND! ... I feel old now... You know, if anyone could remember The Click Five. They made the Just The Girl I'm Looking For song. This one right here.

Dedicated Friend

kawaii_Desu007
Opinions on the genre 5SOS Fits into? I myself am personally a huge fan heart

Hi, fellow 5sosfam!~ 3nodding

15,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
Well I did take some time to listen to some of their new songs. There's no doubt my niece would end up buying the whole album, as usual. While I may say it feels a bit more mature they would probably start to do the changing from innocence to a bit more sleazy. Just a bit. Either way I wasn't too inspired. All I have to say is that they need to fix their synthesizer because it's messing with the actually well done guitar playing. Drums is probably the best in this band. But the lyrics... Yeah, they still lose me faster than an eighty year old man at a video game convention.

After hitting repeat and looking up lyrics for a while I honestly just had to listen to something else. Hopefully nobody else has this problem. Although I have come up with a list of ear cleansers, much like a palate cleanser. Just in case you've had the same troubles as I have.

Rock Cleanser - Vampire Weekend Something light and fun.

Break-up Cleanser - Hot Chip Electronic that can get straight to the point about break up songs.

Punk Cleanser - Green Day A song of the essences of what punk is and should always be.

Extreme Reality Cleanser - John Lennon A song that really doesn't apply to August or October. But when viewed and listened it can have extreme effects. Please view with caution.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff