Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Smoker

Redskins fans threaten Daily Show suit after 'scary' interview

Quote:
RICHMOND, VA (WWBT) -

Some Richmond Redskins fans claim they were ambushed on The Daily Show and are now threatening to sue Comedy Central if the network doesn't take down clips of the show that have now gone viral.

"It got really hostile, really quick," said Redskins fan Charles Barr.

Barr appeared in a Comedy Central segment featuring a Redskins Fan Panel and a Native American Panel.

"That instantly made most of us ask, 'Are we going to be filmed at the same time? Are we going to be in the same building?'" recalls Barr. "They said, 'No. We wouldn't put you across the table from them. It is way too serious for the Daily Show. We wouldn't put you in that kind of situation.'"

Barr was stunned to later be confronted by the panel of Native Americans.

"The hairs stand up on the back on your neck and you're like, 'what is getting ready to happen?'" questioned Barr. "We were scared. It got really heated. There was yelling and screaming. We went on a comedy show, and we knew that going into that it's a comedy show. But I never expected the level of deceit that we got."

Barr's attorney immediately sent a letter to the Daily Show saying, "My clients do not consent to the use of their image. The agreements were procured under false pretenses."

Attorneys for the Daily Show's parent company responded saying in part, "The Native American panel behaved in a dignified and non-threatening manner. The show stands by the piece."

Attorney Chap Petersen represents the fans.

"It's not funny at all," said Petersen. "And they need to be in contact with us, and tell us how they plan to make this right. My clients have been damaged. They have been put on national TV and effectively portrayed as racist in a way that is absolutely unfair."

Barr is prepared to take legal action.

"If it takes us suing them to get us to take the video down," said Barr. "We're not going to stop until the video is down."

The Daily Show did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The clip in question:

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Sounds like Redskins need thicker skins. (I mean the football team fans)

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
I haven't considered The Daily Show to be comedic since Craig Kilborne left. If the show's producers lied to the fans regarding specifics of their appearance, then they have every right to sue and I hope they win their case.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
I haven't considered The Daily Show to be comedic since Craig Kilborne left. If the show's producers lied to the fans regarding specifics of their appearance, then they have every right to sue and I hope they win their case.

I say if these pussies are too afraid to actually sit in the same room with a Native American while wearing sports gear, then it's time for the team to change their ******** name. Partially because it's offensive to assume that a Native American doesn't have the self control not to beat the s**t out of someone who ignorantly supports racism.

Tipsy Smoker

Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

I say if these pussies are too afraid to actually sit in the same room with a Native American while wearing sports gear, then it's time for the team to change their ******** name. Partially because it's offensive to assume that a Native American doesn't have the self control not to beat the s**t out of someone who ignorantly supports racism.
I might not have the self control. I think they were just feeling the shame.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

Not a football fan myself, but I could take on those activists for disseminating misinformation. Earliest example of 'redskin' I've found has nothing to do with an alleged bounty, it is an account by early settlers from 1699: "Ye firste Meetinge House was solid mayde to withstande ye wicked onsaults of ye Red Skins." [sic] The OED says nothing about it denoting a bounty item, nor does it list it as offensive. The activist's description of the Annenberg survey was total BS as well, while the polling center is indeed located in PA, the question was asked via telephone of Indians living in all 48 contiguous states (they do not conduct surveys in AK and HI.) 91% edit: 90% surveyed found the name inoffensive, 1% had no opinion..

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/

I find it amusing that these activists use the term "Indian". Maybe they'll get bored with redskin and move on to changing that.

Tipsy Smoker

Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

Not a football fan myself, but I could take on those activists for disseminating misinformation. Earliest example of 'redskin' I've found has nothing to do with an alleged bounty, it is an account by early settlers from 1699: "Ye firste Meetinge House was solid mayde to withstande ye wicked onsaults of ye Red Skins." [sic] The OED says nothing about it denoting a bounty item, nor does it list it as offensive. The activist's description of the Annenberg survey was total BS as well, while the polling center is indeed located in PA, the question was asked via telephone of Indians living in all 48 contiguous states (they do not conduct surveys in AK and HI.) 91% surveyed found the name inoffensive.

http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/most-indians-say-name-of-washington-redskins-is-acceptable-while-9-percent-call-it-offensive/

I find it amusing that these activists use the term "Indian". Maybe they'll get bored with redskin and move on to changing that.
Learn something new every day.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Chahklet
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

Not a football fan myself, but I could take on those activists for disseminating misinformation. Earliest example of 'redskin' I've found has nothing to do with an alleged bounty, it is an account by early settlers from 1699: "Ye firste Meetinge House was solid mayde to withstande ye wicked onsaults of ye Red Skins." [sic] The OED says nothing about it denoting a bounty item, nor does it list it as offensive. The activist's description of the Annenberg survey was total BS as well, while the polling center is indeed located in PA, the question was asked via telephone of Indians living in all 48 contiguous states (they do not conduct surveys in AK and HI.) 91% surveyed found the name inoffensive.

Learn something new every day.
Did you know that there are a number of primarily Indian schools whose teams are named Redskins?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy#Other_teams_that_use_the_name_Redskins

It's hilarious that one of the principals of these schools thinks it's OK to use the word as long as only Indians are the ones using it. What is the opposing team supposed to call them? How about members of the team itself who are not Indians?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Chahklet
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

I'd just give them that dead eyed stare full of my disappointment.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Chahklet
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

I'd just give them that dead eyed stare full of my disappointment.
I'd love to see you give that look to this Navajo code talker.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

Not a football fan myself, but I could take on those activists for disseminating misinformation. Earliest example of 'redskin' I've found has nothing to do with an alleged bounty, it is an account by early settlers from 1699: "Ye firste Meetinge House was solid mayde to withstande ye wicked onsaults of ye Red Skins." [sic] The OED says nothing about it denoting a bounty item, nor does it list it as offensive. The activist's description of the Annenberg survey was total BS as well, while the polling center is indeed located in PA, the question was asked via telephone of Indians living in all 48 contiguous states (they do not conduct surveys in AK and HI.) 91% edit: 90% surveyed found the name inoffensive, 1% had no opinion..

I knew that was a crock. Redskin is one of those confused derogatory terms. None of my cousins who actually look NA have ever gotten a sunburn once in their lives. Just found a link saying it started with face paint. Don't know the accuracy, but it would make more sense. Leave it to the white man to try and label everyone else with colors.

Indian doesn't bother me because it's only somewhat offensive, and by somewhat I mean hardly at all. The dude thought he was in the Indies when he actually landed on a new continent. We're brown, they're brown. Wildly different culture from the Europeans. White people would see everyone else as savages anyway. It's not a racial term as much as it is a mislabeling.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking
Alexander J Luthor
Ratttking

I knew that was a crock. Redskin is one of those confused derogatory terms. None of my cousins who actually look NA have ever gotten a sunburn once in their lives. Just found a link saying it started with face paint. Don't know the accuracy, but it would make more sense. Leave it to the white man to try and label everyone else with colors.

Indian doesn't bother me because it's only somewhat offensive, and by somewhat I mean hardly at all. The dude thought he was in the Indies when he actually landed on a new continent. We're brown, they're brown. Wildly different culture from the Europeans. White people would see everyone else as savages anyway. It's not a racial term as much as it is a mislabeling.
Lucky, but I hope they use sunscreen nonetheless, melanoma does not discriminate and even black people can get it from too much UV exposure. I've seen Indians who had copper-colored skin, and red and copper are often used interchangeably, as they are with hair. Only hair I've seen that was a true shade of red was achieved via Manic Panic but my old bff was a redhead and her hair was a gorgeous shade of copper.

Interesting, I didn't know the Lenapes painted their faces vermilion - a color also known as Chinese red. Wonder what they used as a pigment. Half the towns and places where I grew up have Lenape names, but the people themselves were forcibly relocated to OK and elsewhere, we didn't learn much about any of them besides Tamanend in schools .

I think the Canadian term First Nations is the best. I never liked the term 'native American" because it implies that the millions of people born here who are not part of a tribe are somehow not native to their country of birth.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Its SUEy Park all over again.

Bashful Businesswoman

We may have to take actual
responsibility for our racist caricatures of an actual often-ignored oppressed group of people?!?!?
Oh noooo someone call 911!!!
1 of the fans said he wouldnt have worn his redskins jacket blaugh lets go NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS ! mrgreen

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff