Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Thread Flip 150
Hiya~ Shiki here. Lately I've had an idea I've been itching to try, and if I'm going to do it, I might as well ask for input, and see if I can make it work long-term!

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The Idea:
The idea itself is pretty straight forward; the roleplay would utilize Gaia's dice roll mechanic to decide the fate of your stories in the roleplay. Sort of like D&D. It would be used to determine things like:

- who wins a battle when two players/teams are in combat
- mystery outcomes, in which I or another GM would assign numbers to the options
- role assignment in cases where it is needed, in which GM's assign numbers to ranks/classes

In Detail:
Specifically, I'd like to do a medieval/16th century style dragon academy(-ish) roleplay with this idea in use. So things like a player's dragon type would be decided by the dice roll.
It would be a long-term story of being assigned a dragon, learning to fight alongside that dragon, going to war, and then the next generation repeats the cycle. Click the "Spoiler" button below to learn exactly what I have in mind for the dice roll function.

So to explain a bit deeper as to the dice roll (because I know someone is going to be confused), let's say, for example, you're starting out and your dragon is about to hatch. The GM has assigned these types to the following numbers at the start of the roleplay:
roll a 1: water type dragon
roll a 2: stone type dragon
roll a 3: fire type dragon
roll a 4: forest type dragon

Then, when you are ready to post, you will click "post action">"roll dice" > select "four sided dice" from the drop down menu> enter "1" in the box below.
From there, you will post. When you do, you will find a little action box above your post telling you which number you rolled, and in turn, the type of dragon you would receive in this situation. Simple enough!

As for battles, you would roleplay normally up until you and your partner agree it is time to bring the battle to a close. You will both roll a dice (of whatever number sides the GMs have decided on). The one who rolls the higher number, wins the fight~ and you must then roleplay according to the fate the dice have chosen. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

Taking It To You:
So what do you think? Does it sound fun? Would you be willing to take part in a roleplay like this? I want to hear your comments. Lastly, (this may seem like too much to some people) I have an old guild that has become dead for quite some time, and I'd love to turn it into a guild for the idea mentioned above. Personally, I hate roleplaying in a bunch of different settings under just one thread - but that could be just me. What do you think about that? Would it help to make this roleplay into a guild? Or is it unnecessary?
I also want to know what stories you'd like to play out using the dice roll function, and hey, maybe we can go with it? A zombie apocalypse roleplay with the dice roll? Sounds fun to me! Really, let me know what you would do, I'm really itching to use this idea.

Friendly Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Thread Flip 150

Friendly Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Thread Flip 150

Friendly Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Thread Flip 150

Friendly Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Thread Flip 150

Friendly Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Thread Flip 150
This bites emotion_8c I was really looking forward to starting this up
Shikigami-Shiro Kuromasa

*peeps* I'm trying to try more diceroll based stuff

Would everything HAVE to be decided by a roll? Like, you could never come to an agreement with whoever it is that has the character you're currently fighting? I'd assume the majority of them would be pure roll based but sometimes you just want your character to beef it and lose haha.

Would there be a stat system or just a set list of what you can roll? I've always wanted to play a DnD like game but... never have eh heh, I get to nervous to seek a group out. Different stat sheets for dragon and rider, with influences from element hatched and what class they decide/are rolled to take? Are there going to be any 'weighted' rolls - say their stats give them a disposition to be a bowmen, would their class assignment rolls be leaned towards a ranged type?

maybe have a different thread for rolling dice so you don't have to post > get roll > edit post to account for rolled event?

For the actual context of the RP: what kind of world? Medieval is the start but... magitech? Western? Is healthcare based on alchemy, white magic, basic technology? Is it going to be based on the real world or a made up world? Eastern or Western dragons? Social make-up, magic in general, technology level... are they classic 6 limbed, are they actually wyverns, is it one branching type with different elemental affinities... what are the stigmas against certain breeds and elements, what is expected from different dragons and their riders... how intelligent are they? They're of course sentient, but are we talking say, ant hivemind with their linked human and are basically an extension of sorts of the human, are they like a big scaly dog or horse, do they develop mentally at the same rate as humans? How do they age?

I like waffling on about world building please excuse my word barf ;w;

As for a guild - depends on how big you want this to be? Personally I'd be happy focusing on a small group (5?) and having it be a single thread. If there's enough activity and participants move it to a guild or multiple threads? Having separate threads or stuff set up in a guild for people to read and reference to could be neat too instead of trying to cram it all in one thread start page eh?

tl;dr - I'm interested. Hi.

Friendly Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Thread Flip 150
Peekay Love

Hi there~ don't be shy owo I'm actually so happy to see someone show interest in this friggin post, like, FIhNAHlee.

Okei so one thing at a time~ *inhales*

Not everything has to be determined by rolls, if you want something specific to happen for story purposes it can be agreed between the two people that there be a specific end to the battle.

I didn't think of including stat sheets in this, honestly~ I've played only one other roleplay before that was heavily stat-based (it was a guild) but it didn't go down well with others - it was confusing. It was very exciting though. I am thinking about doing something with advantages and the dice roll's multiple dice options. Maybe... Different classes could naturally be "stronger" and have a higher possible roll number when they roll (making it more likely that they will get a higher number than their opponent). What do you think?

I'd prefer having the rolls on the same page as the roleplaying, so that users don't have to go to the effort of posting on a completely different thread just to get an outcome.

As for the world itself... Of course magic will be present but it will not have it's own fighting style (ex: mages/witches/spellcasters/etc.) So, it's more like, if you can gain use of the magic then you can use it to make you more powerful (ex: enchanting weapons with elements, heat-seeking arrows, the player could even create their own special weapon that utilizes specific elements, etc. ) so maybe not magic but... Enchantment? IDK I'm not too creative when it comes to magic stuff. ^-^;

The dragons will be whatever the player wants, western, Asian, European, wyvern, snake-like, it will be up to the player what their dragon appears like. In battle, they could be considered mounts, intelligence gatherers, and the witch/spellcasters of the roleplay - they are able to control this type of "magic" directly through elements and such though having a dragon fight should be a last resort. (in my opinion anyways - they just seem a bit too powerful for a roleplay battle)
Dragons will have the intelligence of a 10-year-old child upon hatching, and soon after (by the first war/major battle) should have matured up to the level of a 30-year-old. Of course, this doesn't change a dragon's personality. They can still be childish, smug, they don't all have to be stern intelligence machines. When a human dies - it's dragon dies. Their souls are bound. They are partners for life.

This brings me to the story, which I don't have developed specifically and am happy to collaborate on a plot line with others, however the basic idea behind this is that specific people in this world are born to live their lives connected to a dragon - they are keepers. They are trusted with the task of protecting the dragon kind as are the dragons to the people. In this sense there are free-roaming dragons as well. A dragon egg that is connected to a human soul will not hatch until it's partner touches the egg. These people, once united with their dragon, have a special sense awakened in them that allows them to sense other people that will some day have this connection as well. This is where the plot - in my mind - could go two different ways: 1.) these dragon-tamer type people are required by law to become an official guard of the crown and are scouted every day by other tamer-type people and once discovered will be brought to the Royal Training Camp where they will live and learn to be a proper guard and work alongside their dragon. 2.) There is a temple dedicated to raising these tamer-type people where others of the same kind spend their lives until they become elders, and leaders of the temple. They protect the line of tamers as in this plot tamers are only born of tamer parents. The goal of training these tamer-type people is to prevent the hunting and murdering of dragons and people by each other. (maybe they don't coexist peacefully)? This is all I've come up with for now. Sorry for smacking you in the face with a wall of text.
Shikigami-Shiro Kuromasa

So say, an archer would have a +2 modifier on their attack roll but when they get into melee it's a -3 penalty, instead of having a big ole stat sheet and algorithms and such? As they train and gain experience and special items they get lil bonuses to their action rolls. Straight up numbers, not fiddling with 'now add your CH and minus 40% of the enemy water res' etc.

Ah, instead of humans being born with their own magic, they manipulate magic items. Dragon body parts are particular powerful and make good money on the black market... humans can become skilled and attuned to any element but never create it on their own, only manipulate. I heard Roc feathers are coming back in fashion for wind related spells! Er, assuming this world has other fantastic beasts besides dragons. I am a sucker for pegasus knights as well as wyvern knights.

Since dragons are so magically charged, their Keeper has a safe and constant means of getting magic to channel and manipulate, meaning they are spectacular fighters. Because having a giant scale armored, sharp clawed flying death machine isn't enough.

Hmm so building from that...

Keepers and dragons that would otherwise be attuned to passive and nonbattle suitable magics are still drafted and battle trained - training to be a seamstress before your dragon hatched? Too bad. While they may be able to squeak in some medic training, they are powerhouses that WILL be the main force of the country - it is your duty and your honor to serve your country and the royal family. The magical might has secured the country as the top dog of the continent, no one being able to match the sheer force dragons and their keepers can bring. Dragons do exist in other parts of the land, but the vast majority of the egg bearing and human linked ones live here.

Of course if one kingdom happens to be oh so powerful, what's stopping the others from banding together? Why should they rest on their laurels and just trust they won't be swarmed and taken over by dragons? oooooo future conflict and intrigue

Shikigami-Shiro Kuromasa rolled 0 4-sided dice: Total: 0 (0-0)

Friendly Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Thread Flip 150
Peekay Love

Something like that, yeah~ I'm thinking though that the only time you have to roll in-battle is when a battle is ending, this way it isn't so complicated on people. For the roll that would determine who wins at the end of a battle, notice how in the die size drop-down menu there's a 4 & 6 sided die? Everyone would start off rolling one 4 sided die for their battles to determine who wins. But let's say... Someone's rp'd 3 training practices? Well then that makes them stronger and so now they roll a 6-sided die - their strength isn't overpowering, but it is stronger, and they have a chance at rolling a larger number then the other person and are more likely to win the battle ^-^ Get what I'm saying? I don't want it to get SUPER complicated with the dice rolls, just a basic system.

As for what determines how people get these higher dice numbers... I think it should be something like the number of in-play trainings or battles won.

Do you like the idea of the Keepers being a part of the country's guard then?
Shikigami-Shiro Kuromasa

So like... OoC the participants decide to end the fight, everyone rolls and depending who gets the higher numbers the outcome is written?

Keepers as part of a conscription would be cool to work with. A militant country where even in times of peace there are constant drills and tournaments, general shows of power that the merchants that trade in the kingdom speak off as they travel. A country with very charismatic royal family, it's people devoted to the royal blood.

While not outright exclusive of others there's still the slight looking-down-the-nose at those not born in the country. Afterall, the dragon chooses the human, no matter where they were born. And Keepers are always drafted for the Royal Army. It's unheard of that a Keeper does not accept their honorable post!

Though that's not to say all eggs gets to meet and hatch. Or that some Keepers meet tragic early ends at the hands of the royal family's enemies. It's such a shame they died before they could realise what a great role they were taking as part of the country's defenders, even if they were of outside blood.

Friendly Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Thread Flip 150
Peekay Love

Great! Sounds like we're on the same page then. Alright, so I guess now one of us can set up the rp thread and we can get started~ Would you like me to or do you want to get it started?
Shikigami-Shiro Kuromasa

I would recommend you start the threads since if I end up flaking out or otherwise not participating you have full control over the threads and the first page of posts. Perhaps also make a new OoC/Recruitment thread instead of using this one? Get a few more solid details up in the OP, name some places in the world and throw up a brief reserve/profile? Cause I love messing with profiles and trying to decide which character to throw into the world haha

Friendly Phantom

6,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Thread Flip 150
Peekay Love

Okay. Would you like to write the introductory story/prelude? You seem to be good at those things and I like the way you word things.
Shikigami-Shiro Kuromasa

Haha sure, I'm not that hot on making up names, so if you have any suggestions or even want to throw out an Eastern/Western influence to draw on that'd be swell. I just got some mopping and stuff to do, but it's only 5.30pm, plenty of time to burn

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff