Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Giver

Seriously like the most thought-provoking sci-fi series of all time
genius,
brilliance
{insert arbitrary adjective here}

I'm a huge fan. I'm totally invested in this amazing and intricate sci-fi universe and its like I'm the only one familiar with this universe

Like, its possible that I sometimes meet someone who goes "oh yeah I saw that movie it was terrible!"
OMFG YES IT WAS, ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!!! This amazing book deserves sooooooooooooooo much better than that lame piece of crap crying

sci-fi made a series of it too, decent, but still terrible
I was just watching it and its complete crap, it gets it all wrong

it is possible that this is not meant to be translated into TV question
its also possible that its too awesome for its own good for everybody to have read idea

Have you read it? am I crazy in being so in love with this? Have you read the entire series?
or
Why haven't you read it? Why are you not ordering it right now? Calling up your library to see if they have it right now?

I've read the original 6, and Brian Herbert's: Butlerian Jihad trilogy, sisterhood of dune, Paul of dune, winds of dune. Currently re-reading Chapterhouse: Dune and then getting into Dune 7: Hunters and Sandworms
sorry if I didn't put more effort into this thread,
its just as much about me venting at my loneliness than it is a book discussion
because right now I'm standing in a desert,
nothing but Dunes around me
and no people for as far as the eyes can see
if I don't get help soon,
a giant sandworm is likely to swallow me whole.

PriestessAmy's Princess

Sparkly Bun

I have not yet read it, but it is on my list. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I look forward to it.
^__^

Greedy Giver

Sugar-Coated Accident
I have not yet read it, but it is on my list. I've heard nothing but good things about it and I look forward to it.
^__^
I'm fanatical about it (if you cant tell lol)
and I'm so glad to hear you're looking forward to it! I hope your experience lives up to the hype, and if you do happen to fall in love with the first book, I definitely recommend reading at least the following 5 written by Frank Herbert!! (his son and Kevin J Anderson have continued to write about Dune, bless their hearts, and so far have given us another dozen+ Dune books, with more in the making and it makes me so happy, I think I'll squeal eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! biggrin )

PriestessAmy's Princess

Sparkly Bun

kitti kat
Sugar-Coated Accident
^__^
I'm fanatical about it (if you cant tell lol)
and I'm so glad to hear you're looking forward to it! I hope your experience lives up to the hype, and if you do happen to fall in love with the first book, I definitely recommend reading at least the following 5 written by Frank Herbert!! (his son and Kevin J Anderson have continued to write about Dune, bless their hearts, and so far have given us another dozen+ Dune books, with more in the making and it makes me so happy, I think I'll squeal eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! biggrin )

I have 16 of them; I'm going to try to slate them for next year, but it kind of depends on the length of other things I'm wanting to read. I have a goal I like to hit every year, so I mix shorter books with longer ones.
It's awesome! But, the grammar was funky so sometimes it was difficult for me. But, it was awesome!

And I do think it's hard to translate to film. So much of the book concentrates on what characters are thinking. The whole time I was wondering how a film might capture that. Relaying inner monologues, characters shooting each other weird, "meaningful" glances? Ultimately, they did none of that and it was awkward.

Greedy Giver

LadyTiresias22
It's awesome! But, the grammar was funky so sometimes it was difficult for me. But, it was awesome!

And I do think it's hard to translate to film. So much of the book concentrates on what characters are thinking. The whole time I was wondering how a film might capture that. Relaying inner monologues, characters shooting each other weird, "meaningful" glances? Ultimately, they did none of that and it was awkward.
yeah I've learned a lot of new vocab from these books, either by keeping a dictionary near me when I've read them, phone app or computer tab lol
It also helped that the first book had a glossary of all the made-up words (idk if that was included in every edition)

And I agree, so much relies on inner monologue and hidden intentions and even a simple conversation between two people carries so much complexity that (within the scene) observers don't know half of whats REALLY going on, so how do you expect to let an audience in on it?
Take the bene gesserit for example, they're such complex characters with their other memory, supreme control over their biology and emotions, how do you put that into film? I was watching the sci-fi series and one of the things that bugs me the most is how WRONG WROnG WrOnGGGG they got Jessica! The way the actress portrays her is as some juvenile with no control over her emotions or the way she presents herself to others, wearing her thoughts/feelings on her as transparent as a two-year-old as if she's not at the level of an acolyte, not even someone the bene gessert would even select for their sisterhood! ( "selected for genetics" haha) But then again, it is on TV, and she is ACTING, and that right there inherently ruins everything thats is so awe-inspiring about the sisterhood, reverend mothers in particular.

The Butlerian Jihad trilogy could make for some good movies though... I mean, Frank didn't write them so they're less complex than the original Dune books, but the story is still there, just without some of the organizations that made Dune so awesome and make them impossible to put into film.

Toothsome Elder

Haha, I love the way you worded the topic title. To answer it: Maybe fifteen years ago I checked it out of the library to try to read, but I just couldn't get into it. I got maybe fifty pages in and then threw my hands up. I've never stopped thinking about it though.I will have to try again one of these days.
kitti kat

It also helped that the first book had a glossary of all the made-up words (idk if that was included in every edition)

Yes! My edition was all three parts in one book with a glossary and two chapters about the climate and bene gesserit training. It was great. But the book was close to 1000 pages.

kitte kat

The Butlerian Jihad trilogy could make for some good movies though... I mean, Frank didn't write them so they're less complex than the original Dune books, but the story is still there, just without some of the organizations that made Dune so awesome and make them impossible to put into film.

I will look into this!

Greedy Giver

LadyTiresias22
kitti kat

Yes! My edition was all three parts in one book with a glossary and two chapters about the climate and bene gesserit training. It was great. But the book was close to 1000 pages.

kitte kat

I will look into this!

I have a 90s edition of the first book, and my messiah, children, and god emperor are editions from the 80s, the rest I have are new. Between the first three books I have over 1200 pages, so I imagine having them condensed in one the text is more uniform and smaller (my Dune (1) has very small text but the 80s editions I have are all larger)

And I found myself wondering about this Butlerian Jihad every single time they mentioned it, clearly a turning point in Dune history and filled with interesting events but "What exactly was going on at that time??? Those books were quite lengthy, they answered all the questions I had and then some, definitely good reads if you find yourself as interested in the major events leading up to Paul on Arakis/humanity's journey into space/their "lost Terra" But I'd also say they were probably the most boring for me because they were so action-packed (which seems strange to say so, but they were lacking the depth of philosophical exploration that Frank had in his books, the same can be said for all the Dune books that he didn't write but because I've loved all that I've read so far regardless. And the jury is still out on "Dune 7" Hunters and Sandworms of Dune, supposedly written in accordance with everything Frank had planed for his next book, I haven't yet read them, but all the books that followed his death are at least in part written in accordance with what Frank already laid down in his books and I'm sure just as equally little scraps of paper and sticky notes found on the walls of his office lol)

Greedy Giver

Soup Dumpling
Haha, I love the way you worded the topic title. To answer it: Maybe fifteen years ago I checked it out of the library to try to read, but I just couldn't get into it. I got maybe fifty pages in and then threw my hands up. I've never stopped thinking about it though.I will have to try again one of these days.
I understand 100%
I did the same thing.
I think I got more than 50 pages into it my first attempt, actually I got about 50 pages into Dune Messiah (I was 16), but I think it was the fact that it was such a ******** and I kept getting distracted from the profound insights into the human species/ect/ect/ect/major themes of Frank Herbert, that I probably wasn't able to fully appreciate the subject matter.
When I finally picked it up again last year I was like "OMFG WHY DID I EVER STOP READING THIS?????" and haven't been able to stop ever since (actually, it took A Song of Ice and Fire series to give me any respite, but now that I've finished that epic, I'm afraid I'm loosing myself in Dune once again lol)
I think the big changes and the broadening of the Dune universe that occurs in the fourth book (God Emperor) wouldn't have been something I would have been able to handle back then so I'm kind of glad that I stopped when I couldn't hack it anymore, but even more glad that I got back into it. At 16 I would have expected a book series to be more linear, to have a main character and follow their story, but the Dune series is more a story about the potential of the human race as a whole (not to mention a main theme is the impermanance of everything) and even Paul Atredies can't be considered a "main character" for long.

Greedy Giver

oh hey also, I found a D20-based Dune RP ^.^
you've no idea how thrilled I am to have come across that
but very disappointed that I've nobody to play it with (awwwwww)
Personally I think i'm not ready for it yet. however I am at the moment reading Atlas Shrugged and then after that I will read the Outlander series so after all that I believe I will be ready.

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
I loved Dune. I read the next two books and didn't love them so much so I never read any further.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
my library does not have it in (it keeps being checked out when I try to get it ) , but its on my list of books I will be reading when I get the chance. It is going on hold the next chance I get to get on the library’s website .

Sparkly Prophet

But I HAVE read it!! It was intense, but pretty fantastic. I have several of the other books, but haven't gotten to them yet. And now they're in a box a couple thousand miles away. *sigh*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff