Welcome to Gaia! ::

Toothsome Elder

LiaThistle
Soup Dumpling
LiaThistle
I have no idea what it means, either. If that doesn't help.

I'm interested in this "American style," mostly because I see very little similarities between Twain's works and Hemingway's hacks.
Hemingway's hacks?? I respect your opinion gonk

In a nutshell, Twain's style was a sharp departure from European writers working at the same time. Comparatively, his characters are plainspoken and his descriptions are plain as well (lacking embellishment and floweriness). He deliberately wrote about life the way that common people experienced it, in a voice that common people would be familiar with and understand. The most commonly used word to describe the style in comparison to other writers of the time is "spare" with an emphasis on truth.

Hemingway was all about truth. He often retorted in interviews as well as in his own work on writing that his method was to write and write until he wrote something that was plain and true, and then he would erase all that came before that solid truth. Hemingway's descriptions are down to earth and straight to the point. His dialogue is brief but each word is meaningful. He turned Twain's spareness and truthiness up to 11. Compare him with English writers of the time, as well as the writers he and Fitzgerald fostered (Elliot) and you'll immediately see the departure. Other examples include Faulkner, even while he was twisting the s**t out of it (The Sound and the Fury is plainly written but told from fiercely personal perspectives which are still confounding and delighting readers today.) Between what Hemingway did with the style (pumping it up to 11) and what Faulkner did (pushing it to the limit and going beyond it focused on the human perspective) one can chart a trajectory through literary influences all the way through today.

I agree with your assessment of Twain for his most famous works.

I disagree entirely with your assessment of Hemingway.
Firstly, Hemingway wrote no "truth" (more on this in a bit). His style was only successful because of a mass disillusionment, and general dislike of the lofty, languid prose that typified earlier works thanks to the Great War.

Hemingway has no real descriptions. Take Hills Like White Elephants. What's the man look like? What's the girl look like? Note that he describes the main female in it as a "girl," not a woman, and for a while, I thought she was in her early teens. In contrast, the man is never described as a boy, and comes across as much older (when I read it, I placed him in his 30s, and yes, I thought the story was pediophiliac in nature). His only description in the whole story is the first paragraph - the setting. The rest of his writing is similar.

Now, back onto the topic of "truth" and Hemingway. Firstly, you should know better than to trust anyone who claims they speak/write/communicate "truth." This goes for storytelling, politics, religion, sex, everything. Additionaly, Hemingway had an ego - quite a massive one - and given that he claimed his own writing was deeper than it is speaks of that (the "Iceberg Principle," if you are unfamiliar with it). The biggest example that supports both of these is A Farewell to Arms. The story about a dashing young WWI ambulance driver and the British Nurse who falls madly in love with him and dies having their love child.

Oh, by the way, were you aware that in WWI, Hemingway was an ambulance driver, and dated a British Nurse? Who, after the War, sent him a "Dear John" letter?

Truth, huh? Rewriting life into a power fantasy isn't truth - it's ego. See modern comics.

In regards to his dialog, I again point to AFtA:
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."
"No."
"Yes.
"Maybe."
Which occurs, if I remember right, at least twice. This is neither brief (at least one y/n exchange can be cut), nor meaningful.

Hence why I say Hemingway wrote hacks.
I understood your perspective when I wrote "I respect your opinion" and chose not to insert my point of view into what I said for that reason. Have the courtesy to respect mine. I stated only facts. Whether or not you agree with Hemingway's perspective is irrelevant to the information I provided. That is all I will say on the matter.

Dedcadent Pants

Soup Dumpling
I understood your perspective when I wrote "I respect your opinion" and chose not to insert my point of view into what I said for that reason. Have the courtesy to respect mine. I stated only facts. Whether or not you agree with Hemingway's perspective is irrelevant to the information I provided. That is all I will say on the matter.

I will respect your opinion on Hemingway, however, most of what you wrote is opinion. I've bolded everything that is opinion, and italicised everything that can be proven.

Soup Dumpling
Hemingway was all about truth. He often retorted in interviews as well as in his own work on writing that his method was to write and write until he wrote something that was plain and true, and then he would erase all that came before that solid truth. Hemingway's descriptions are down to earth and straight to the point. His dialogue is brief but each word is meaningful. He turned Twain's spareness and truthiness up to 11. Compare him with English writers of the time, as well as the writers he and Fitzgerald fostered (Elliot) and you'll immediately see the departure. Other examples include Faulkner, even while he was twisting the s**t out of it (The Sound and the Fury is plainly written but told from fiercely personal perspectives which are still confounding and delighting readers today.) Between what Hemingway did with the style (pumping it up to 11) and what Faulkner did (pushing it to the limit and going beyond it focused on the human perspective) one can chart a trajectory through literary influences all the way through today.

Please do not confuse opinion with facts. That is why while I respect your opinion, I will provide you with information as to why I think it is mis- or uninformed.

That being said, Hemingway is a perfect example of a person who has no voice. "A reporter jotting down events" (don't remember the source, but that's one way I've seen Hemingway's writing described) is not a voice. So, for now, I disagree with the OP's professors about not having a voice; perhaps the voice is too common, or subdued, and thus comes across as bland.

As such, I second Maltese's request for an excerpt.
You're a writer, so you're probably unique. Write the way you think. Then edit appropriately, but not too much. If you think in a way that is voiceless, then you may want to find your voice in life (metaphorically and psychologically). You seem like you have a writing voice, at least from what you've written here.

Dapper Conversationalist

7,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Swap Meet 100
Tokimeki Darling
▪ ▪ ▪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ғᴏʀɢᴇᴛ. ᴀʟᴡᴀʏs, sᴏᴍᴇᴡʜᴇʀᴇ, sᴏᴍᴇᴏɴᴇ ɪs ғɪɢʜᴛɪɴɢ ғᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ. ▪ ▪ ▪

What I mean is in writing in general. Developing a voice in your writing seems almost effortless for some, and difficult for others. I used my college papers as only an example. Prior to this, I hadn't been critiqued on my lack of voice. I detest papers, particularly because the subject matter rarely, if ever, interests me. But according to my teachers, this lack of voice is a problem.

It made me wonder just how and in what fashion people develop their own unique voice in literature. Writers would not sell books if they lacked voice and the ability to engage the readers. That is more or less what I am inquiring about; How have people developed their own personal voice. Not simply how can I do it for myself. I'm curious to know the methods and processes of growth others have gone through.

▪ ▪ ▪ ᴀs ʟᴏɴɢ ᴀs ʏᴏᴜ ʀᴇᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ ʜᴇʀ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ɴᴏᴛ ᴀʟᴏɴᴇ. ▪ ▪ ▪

Personality.

Take writing a college paper for example, there's a difference in how content is presented you are interested/ passionate about a subject compared to when you aren't. When you aren't content is to the point, and without fluff. When you write something you're passionate about it's a bit easier to see the passion because you typically cover more of the topic at hand.

The same goes for voice. You need to find a style or genre or character that fit how you are comfortable writing. You might also need to relax and just write what comes to your head. Figure out if (in regards to storytelling) if first person, or third person allows more for your voice to come out.

Honestly, writing a few hundred words in a variety of different genres, some in first person, some in third person; you'll eventually find yourself gravitating towards a set. That's where you can develop your voice and bring it into other works.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff