Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shady Bro

39,375 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
I'm in the same situation as you.

I'm a male who uses female bases since most of the items in my invo are better suited on a female avvie and I don't mind having a female base.

It would be very very nice to differentiate avvie gender from actual gender.

kitzu-jama's Partner

I don't see why having this option would hurt anyone. So I say go for it, gaia!

And since gaia avatar items are insanely unbalanced in terms of having more feminine versus masculine and unisex items, I am not surprised guys have been using female avatars. Nor do I feel they should be required to use male avatars if they prefer to use something else.

And having the animal base list your gender as animal on your profile is pretty silly. Hope gaia will allow those users to fix that.

Shaggy Loverboy

I've never really understood why that option existed without any options, really. "Your avi is a girl so that means you're a girl irl too." Yeah...well...no. neutral

I don't ever have that option enabled but I can't see why it would hurt. It would hurt those who think that kind of option would mean Gaia is becoming too "PC" or letting the "SJW" have their way, maybe, but who cares about those type of people anyway?

Player

people just put their real gender in their signature.

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
Who read profiles anymore??

I'm more likely to read a signature than to go out of my way to someones profile.

Wind-up Waffles

We should have more than two choices, though, too, including a No Answer.
I feel like I accidentally stumbled onto Tumblr.

Lashtal's Wife

Advanced Punk

22,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Hellraiser 500
PC Trailer Trash
I feel like I accidentally stumbled onto Tumblr.

I thought I was the only one. rofl

Magical Girl

26,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
This happens most likely because it's convenient to reuse the same data for what base is being used. Implementing a separate section for displayed gender probably requires storing more data.

I don't think the benefits of implementing this would be worth it. People normally just state what their real gender is in their about section or signature.

Divine Muse

Don't we have an option in profiles that we can uncheck the "Show Gender"?

I mean I can take a screenshot of it if people need to see it. . . .

O.G. Firestarter

22,425 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100
I've haven't touched my profile in so long I forgot that even happened.

But yeah, I wish it could be edited separately for your profile and I'd love if it had more options than just "male" and "female" or hiding it entirely.

Playful Pants

The number of women I've had hit on my male mule is funny as tits.

I think what you're saying is a good idea, but I don't think it would fully solve the issue just because not everyone will think to see an avatar then click on the person's profile to find out if their gender matches their avatar.

Aemon Targaryen's Partner

Tiny Lionheart

Free Killz
Diosu
I'm a male, but my avatar looks better with a female base. Unfortunately because my avatar is female it also says MY gender is female. We should be able to choose our own gender in our profile settings regardless of what our avatars are.

OP, you say that your avatar looks better with a female base...
Of course it looks better, since your avatar represents a female and not anything else, I hope, since you wear a skirt and mostly female items on you.

I don't want to start offending anyone, but why would people like you dress up as a female, per say, and then try and imply that you identify urself as a male to society. That's just sounds really confusing.

Yes, OP you are a male, but still your avatar is not representing or demanding, to be a male; hence, why you say that your avi looks better on a female base, with a female gender, with female clothes on.

I don't consider that we need those kind of changes for human bases, in order to not cause gender confusion and wrong things among users...

I don't think your gender should be female, nor male, in your case I don't really know what kind of gender it should be. And I won't start questioning myself that.

Off topic: I do wish we could have adjustable body sizes feature like tentacl, on all of the bases.

Edit: I really hope I won't have to deal with people calling me out for "offending", it's just my own, personal opinion.

A lot of people don't self-identify with their avatars. Their avatar may be a character separate from themselves or it just may be a doll that has no connection to their irl selves at all.

For example, I certainly don't self-identify as a unicorn or a dragon, but I dress my avatar that way on here most of the time. Why do I represent my avatar that way when I don't identify myself that way? Because it's cute, I like the way it looks, and I never really think of my avatar as being another "self" so it doesn't have to be "me". Even before the animal bases were released, I frequently switched between a female and a male avatar not because I'm gender fluid irl, but because I like to try out different items and make a variety of avatars.

Fashionable Shapeshifter

Lucidly
This happens most likely because it's convenient to reuse the same data for what base is being used. Implementing a separate section for displayed gender probably requires storing more data.

I don't think the benefits of implementing this would be worth it. People normally just state what their real gender is in their about section or signature.

i really dont think its as much work as youre implying
changing that option so it displays fill-in information would require as much data storage as it does to display our interests and social media contact information on our profiles. text REALLY doesnt take up that much space on a server. coding-wise, its only the difference between calling for a variable and a string. THIS IS NOT DIFFICULT

furthermore, if the profile is designed to display information about ourselves, and having the avatar gender on our profiles is displaying incorrect information, then it only makes sense to fix it. those of you treating this like a "political issue" should probably take a step back from this and figure out whats got you so riled up about the idea of someone wanting to use the profile options to display their correct personal information

Magical Girl

26,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
panoptes
Lucidly

i really dont think its as much work as youre implying
changing that option so it displays fill-in information would require as much data storage as it does to display our interests and social media contact information on our profiles. text REALLY doesnt take up that much space on a server. coding-wise, its only the difference between calling for a variable and a string. THIS IS NOT DIFFICULT

furthermore, if the profile is designed to display information about ourselves, and having the avatar gender on our profiles is displaying incorrect information, then it only makes sense to fix it. those of you treating this like a "political issue" should probably take a step back from this and figure out whats got you so riled up about the idea of someone wanting to use the profile options to display their correct personal information
Not saying it's too much work. Just not worth it to spend time on. It's pretty unnecessary extra data.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff