Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
Lyonel Noale
I think that the comments on "Gaya" is more so because people are interpreting it as being similar to saying "Oh, that's so gay" or, similarly, "Oh, that's so retarded." In addition, since this is a rant TOWARDS Gaia, people are going to naturally assume that you're not using 'Gaya' as a compliment and more as an insult.

Just like when people say 'Oh, that's so gay" when referring to something boring/unlikeable, it puts a negative and harmful connotation on the word. As in, being gay is equivalent to being something unwanted.

At least, that's how I'd interpret it. And just because you're gay, it doesn't mean that you can use it as an excuse (for example, when someone uses "You're Retarded" as an insult, and I point out that it's not okay to say that, and then they quickly reply: "Well I have a cousin who's mentally handicapped so I can say it." ...um, no. You can't. Unless you're friends with EVERY SINGLE mentally handicapped individual in the world and have gotten their approval, stop assuming that it's okay. It's not. It sets the word in a negative light, and gives the impression that you see those people in a negative light, as well.)

ON topic: ...man. It's just marketing. It's not really 'sexist.' They can price their items however they want, and besides, it's not as if they said "THIS IS A FEMALE ITEM! FEMALES ONLY!" ...boys can get that too. Stop assuming that pink items are only meant for girls. Goodness gracious.

That aside, though, if it sells more, they'll make it cost more. If there's a greater demand, it'll have a greater value, plain and simple.

First time I heard the word was in an old movie. Gay actually also means happy which isn't negative in anyway. There are even old songs using the word. But people will take an offense on anything online I noticed and jump to conclusions. I don't take offense when people say the word straight just because I like guys. I'm just learning not to say the word because it's always followed by the word stereotypical word homophobe which I have been hurt by before. I figure people should respect each other no matter what they sexual orientation is or what physical or mental disabilities they have to face. I don't think OP should change it because it has many meanings and people are making a bigger deal of the nickname Gaia has adapted over several years. Gaya is a city by the way in India: Gaya India and other meanings of the word: Gaya To me the word gay means happy. To others they can take it in a negative way like the x amount of other stuff that offends people on Gaia now.

On topic, Gaia can price items for as high as $1399 now it seems. Will every Gaian buy new items that only cater to a certain demographic? Probably not. Not that hard for Gaia to sell a variety of items. I mean look at how many recolors we have now. lol

Thirteenth Bilge rat

29,025 Points
  • Fusion Apprentice 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

User Image

So much tumblr assrumbliness in here...

Yeah, they should have been the same price.

Divine Muse

Knight of Britannia
Jayce Reinhardt
Knight of Britannia

Oops, you added more, sorry for two comments. sweatdrop

Again, very good points, and speaks on a topic that is a lot to tackle in this conversation and may be veering slightly off topic, but-- ultimately, it still comes down to people being able to choose. And when everyone says "it's about what sells", well, it really is. Gaia's not giving much of a choice, but at the same time, if that's what people will buy, that's what they're going to sell. It's not right, no. But no one's forcing that style on anyone. The people who like it, like it because they do, and will spend the money on it. And that is who they are. And I don't look at anyone, no matter what they're wearing, and think "you're only wearing that because of society"-- that's not fair and just as judgmental if the person look at someone else for dressing differently and said they were doing it for the attention or something equally ridiculous.

Of course not 100% of the female population likes the same things, and that's super, super important. And it works both ways and every other way you can think of. So let's support everyone's tastes-- we can do that, without citing anything against those that have different ones from ours.

But keep in mind that was an observation and not a condemnation.

Not at all, and again I didn't mean to come across as attacking you. No offense or anything meant.

That's fine, I've just had one to many people misinterpret what I say and then flip out at me/block me so I wanted to clarify I wasn't condemning anyone, merely making an observation.

Cute Transform

16,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Full closet 200
P h ii l l y

The Portraits of a Hare haven't really been as popular as the Doe portraits.
Also. There isn't anything I can think of that would be called 'male-oriented' exclusively anywhere; as male characteristics have become androgynous in this day and age, but males do not seem to want to do the same for "feminine" things lol
Also if you're selling a line of products, of course you try to get the best out of the product with the biggest audience.

"Just give me cool jeans, awesome hair, tattoos, a big weapon, and a beard
and I'm pretty much set to go with whatever the ******** I have."

>Cool jeans
Uh pretty much all jean items then? Like, idk, those ones in CrosStitch are my favorites.
> Awesome Hair
There are a lot of male hairstyles? And there isn't really like... uh how do I put it. Guys' hairstyles tend to all look the same with minute differences that are probably not worth putting the effort into pixels.
>Tattoos
There are a TON of tattoo items on Gaia; idk why you're acting as though there aren't many? (I would enjoy for them to be put back into SkinTyte though)
>A Big Weapon
The Stockings' gun comes to my mind, as well as Dullahan's scythes. Resolute Steel Trooper has a neat looking rifle too.
>Beard
Facial hair options are, I think, in Salon Durem; as well as various items.

*shrugs*

Devoted Heckler

nanquest
Fanny Flaps
Starting off your rant with a nice sprinkle of homophobia really helps your cause.

saying gaya isnt homophobic you dummy

Okay, thank you, you have thoroughly convinced me with that compelling argument.

Fuzzy Pup

Fanny Flaps
nanquest
Fanny Flaps
Starting off your rant with a nice sprinkle of homophobia really helps your cause.

Okay, thank you, you have thoroughly convinced me with that compelling argument.

it wasnt an argument it was me straight up saying ur wrong and thats it

Demonic Lover

Scobre
Maybe you just haven't noticed it, but when people refer to Gaia as "Gaya" it's when they are complaining about something Gaia did wrong, and yes I do think it's negative to use the word "Gay" as negative, as the only place where "Gay" means anything besides Homosexual is textbooks and old old stuff no one's speaking of.

On topic, I think their pricing is ridiculously random, does anyone remember Lulu Saloon?, that limited that looks like a '08 reject?; pricing in Gaia doesn't really means anything x_x I swear they just toss a dice or something lol

Devoted Heckler

nanquest
Fanny Flaps
nanquest
Fanny Flaps

it wasnt an argument it was me straight up saying ur wrong and thats it

Well that's me convinced, you say I'm wrong so that must be the case. Perhaps you should run for political office?

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Lol Gaya... Not the first time we have seen this blatantly paraded around... but lets make a big deal any way... Because this is totally the time and place for it.
Yeah, they funking suck at gender equality... they're greedy shits for not pricing them appropriately and equally for practically the same damn set...
But I think this is the least of the ******** up s**t going on right now.
Gaia's shitty sales tactics are nothing new here.

PK Flash's Datemate

Dangerous Rogue

18,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Informer 100
sterek
I fail to see how it's sexist to price something according to its popularity (both due to the color scheme and the design) just because one is explicitly feminine and the other is masculine. If I need quick gold, I'll naturally buy the girly pink LQI and resell it, because it's where the demand is.

Exploitative gender-based marketing is a thing in the real world because it happens for a) technically identical products (hygiene products, for instance) and b) it targets a population evenly divided between male-identified people and female-identified people. Gaia is a micro-community with a userbase with predominantly feminine avatars; pricing an item higher because more users are likely to want to buy it is just smart marketing.

Agreed, and very well worded. While I would prefer for both items to be priced the same in accordance with previous releases, if Gaia wants to jack up the price of the pink item 100GC it's hardly something I get a say in.

Also agreeing with other people - it's up to you when to use the word gay if you yourself are gay, but you don't get to apply it to something as an insult and be surprised when other people are offended by it.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
SuccuViv
Scobre
Maybe you just haven't noticed it, but when people refer to Gaia as "Gaya" it's when they are complaining about something Gaia did wrong, and yes I do think it's negative to use the word "Gay" as negative, as the only place where "Gay" means anything besides Homosexual is textbooks and old old stuff no one's speaking of.

On topic, I think their pricing is ridiculously random, does anyone remember Lulu Saloon?, that limited that looks like a '08 reject?; pricing in Gaia doesn't really means anything x_x I swear they just toss a dice or something lol

Yeah I haven't. People have been using the word in flash spaces for years with none of them being in negative environments. If used as an attack, it is just as wrong as with any other word. The thing is context in which a word can be used. OP got attacked because of the context of this thread being on stereotypes and Gaya was assumed as a stereotype. If the word is used as an insult then it's a problem with society in general and can be changed just like when some people don't like being called black or the n word. Anyway it's the first I've heard that saying the word gay seems to be as offensive as the n word now. It's still a new definition for the word and I don't consider 100 year things as old old stuff especially with how long humans have been around. So I still like the word meaning happy and rainbows despite the stereotypes people want to give those things. Anyway I think it's more appropriate to tease Gaia, GaiaCom or Gaiaron when referring to them doing things wrong. xd

Yes I laughed when the halo was $1000 last year and knew it wasn't a one time thing despite what admin promised. I'm finding it pointless to expect Gaia to have a positive environment again. It's like I keep seeing people get attacked for what they spend, what they wear, or what they post now. The site is extremely hostile this year. Guys and girls should have equally priced items. It's silly that items for guy items go for more than girl items on Gaia, yet if you go shopping guy shirts are cheaper than girl shirts.

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
MaysiIee
Until guys learn to stop worrying and love wearing skirts there's always going to be more variety in womenswear, and more time and attention devoted to providing it - both online and off. Sorry.

I know far too many men that have embraced this philosophy.

Demonic Lover

Scobre
Yeah I haven't. People have been using the word in flash spaces for years with none of them being in negative environments. If used as an attack, it is just as wrong as with any other word. The thing is context in which a word can be used. OP got attacked because of the context of this thread being on stereotypes and Gaya was assumed as a stereotype. If the word is used as an insult then it's a problem with society in general and can be changed just like when some people don't like being called black or the n word. Anyway it's the first I've heard that saying the word gay seems to be as offensive as the n word now. It's still a new definition for the word and I don't consider 100 year things as old old stuff especially with how long humans have been around. So I still like the word meaning happy and rainbows despite the stereotypes people want to give those things. Anyway I think it's more appropriate to tease Gaia, GaiaCom or Gaiaron when referring to them doing things wrong. xd

Yes I laughed when the halo was $1000 last year and knew it wasn't a one time thing despite what admin promised. I'm finding it pointless to expect Gaia to have a positive environment again. It's like I keep seeing people get attacked for what they spend, what they wear, or what they post now. The site is extremely hostile this year. Guys and girls should have equally priced items. It's silly that items for guy items go for more than girl items on Gaia, yet if you go shopping guy shirts are cheaper than girl shirts.
I'm not saying "Gay" is pejorative like ******, I'm saying that when I've seen people use "man that's so gay" or "Gaya lol did this" they are not speaking about the wonderful fun things Gaia has done or how fun that thing they mentioned was, it's usually used to mean something bad/lame/boring. 100 years is a long time, I'm sure if someone screamed at you "f*****t" you wouldn't think something along the lines of "omg where is the bundle of sticks?" XD;

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Torse
Fanny Flaps
It doesn't matter. I'm gay and if I used the word in that way then I would still be a shitty person.

It's slang from whatever generation 20-somethings and below count as.

OP shouldn't have used the word due to the large number of.. sensitive people on Gaia.
rolleyes

But anywhere else?
You'd come off as someone who's actually creating discrimination by crying foul, when there was none to start with.

I think I normally agree with you on various topics, Ms. Fanny.
But I gotta call this one as nitpicking. At best.
8c

im sorry i really do love u tho

It is called "learning to pick and choose your battles," because you can't fight them all and expect to win every time.
But you are walking on eggshells just posting in the forums at all.
Chances are someone will be offended no matter what, so prepare for that.
Also, If we go through life raising a stink over every little thing that upsets us, where will that lead us? Just some food for thought.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
SuccuViv
Scobre

I'm not saying "Gay" is pejorative like n****r, I'm saying that when I've seen people use "man that's so gay" or "Gaya lol did this" they are not speaking about the wonderful fun things Gaia has done or how fun that thing they mentioned was, it's usually used to mean something bad/lame/boring. 100 years is a long time, I'm sure if someone screamed at you "f*****t" you wouldn't think something along the lines of "omg where is the bundle of sticks?" XD;

So upset that people aren't happy with Gaia? Idk, that's pretty common the community is upset with them now especially since the GGs and 133T thing. It came off as people finding as offensive as that word. Nah I wouldn't return an insult with an insult. I mean if people want to feel offended by it, then they are free to just like how people can be offended by what others wear. I just find it harassment to ask someone to change a post just because it comes off as that way, which the OP wasn't meaning to like asking someone to change their gore avi because of a phobia to blood. Anyway I'm done with this topic because assumptions were indeed made. But yeah it's sad the community is in such an ill state that Gaians can't even suggest more male items without having an attack thread. I miss when you could suggest an item or feature without being attacked.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff