Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Drink Bleach

Twenty-eight preschoolers and two adults mistakenly drank bleach at snack time at a New Jersey day care center on Thursday and were taken to a hospital after some complained their stomachs were burning.

The children, aged 3 and 4, and adult staff members of the Growing Tree Learning Center in downtown Jersey City were transported in five ambulances to the Jersey City Medical Center after a late-morning call to 911, said Mark Rabson, a hospital spokesman. He said some complained of light-headedness, others of upset stomachs.

By mid afternoon, all 30 were in stable condition and were being discharged, Rabson said.

"There was a poisoning and many children were injured," he said, adding the children were walking on their own or were being carried out by their parents and "have smiles on their faces."

Keith Kearney, executive director of United Cerebral Palsy of Hudson County, which runs the day care center that is open to all community members and serves 65 children from infants to age 4, said he had heard no reports of injuries and that the hospital visits were a precaution.

"We had an incident where one of the staff in the kitchen used the cleaning solution bottle to pour water for some of the children," Kearney said.

"It was a repurposed plastic milk jug with a bleach water solution we use to wipe down surfaces. The label we had on the bottle wasn’t large enough to guard against it," he said.

The children and staff were having a morning snack of water and fruit when an adult noticed a faint bleach smell and reported it immediately, he said.

The 911 call kicked off a mass casualty emergency response by the hospital, which called in extra doctors and nurses and worked closely with paramedics, police and fire units.

They gave the victims liquids like water and milk to dilute the poison rather than inducing vomiting "because it would burn on the way back up again," Rabson said.

OMG

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
They didn't notice until their stomachs started burning? Bleach has a pretty distinct smell, and though I've never tasted it, I would imagine it's nothing like milk. o_o

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
God- ********...

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

DOES NO ONE ******** USE THESE ANYMORE!?

Even if they're giving these kids fat-free skim milk it wouldn't look or smell like BLEACH. Nor would it look like water. AND WHO GETS WATER FROM A MILK JUG?

Holy frick, someone better get fired for this ridiculous level of stupid being displayed.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
All of these people should be fired and/or sued. Goddammit.

Kawaii Shoujo

Once again we have a clear case of negligence and absolute stupidity emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm emotion_facepalm

Beloved Lunatic

How the hell did the adults not smell that?

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Protip: Use empty bleach bottles to store cleaning solution and mark it as Diluted Bleach... >_>;

Undead Enchantress

Oh good. Ruin people's lives even before they hit formal schooling. That's the way to kill your future. crying

Adorable Lunatic

Don't be so quick to judge the caretakers.
When I was three, I accidentally drank bleach myself.
My mother was giving my favorite cup a thorough cleaning and I, seeing my cup in the sink and associating it with something good to drink, took a big drink of it. It tasted terrible, but my reflex action was to swallow it.
That certainly wasn't my mother's fault.

My guess is the caretakers made sure all the kids had a drink before they took their own. Thus, they didn't notice the mistake until the kids had already drank some of it. Being diluted with water also probably kept the kids from immediately realizing it wasn't just water. At that age, if you're handed something, you drink it. It would never cross their minds that it wasn't water until they tasted it. I doubt they took more than the first drink.

The staff acted responsibly by making sure all the kids were checked out.
They're taking responsibility for their mistake and it seems it was a legitimate mistake.
How many times have we grabbed something we thought was something else? Especially, if it was in a similar container.

Hell, last week I almost drank hummingbird nectar because it looked like kool-aid.
Unlabeled or poorly labeled containers will do that.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

o-o; So,why have they not thought about using a spray bottle for the bleach water?

Charged Enthusiast

28,825 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Timely Contributor 100
  • Newbie Helper 100
OK , I have a question...HOW THE HELL DID THE ADULTS NOT SMELL THE BLEACH! Bleach has a strong smell. and it smells like bleach! lol I smell the fainest bit of bleach in a glass I am using I am not drinking whatever is in it. These people could not have had a lick of sense. Literally anf figuratively.

*side note* Bleach even diluted has the smell of bleach. *another sidenote* Bleach is used to clean dishes in many establishments, point is the items must be rinsed afterward. *Yet another side note* If you are using bleach to disinfect his way, MAKE SURE YOU RINSE PROPERLY!
*Yet another sidenote* Did I mention RINSE RINSE RINSE?

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
As with restaurants, chemical agents need to be kept far away from food and drink.
That's really poor. They should be more careful with things like that. Putting cleaning solution in a milk jug, really.

Hilarious Businesswoman

God, that's scary o_o but at least everyone is ok now

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
There's a few humorous responses here, and yes, while this was bad, it's not an absurd level of stupid.

Mhm, bleach has a smell, it has a look, and it has a taste. I think what happened was it WAS repurposed milk jug of bleach (which itself is completely acceptable and not stupid) and it was then emptied of bleach after use and running out. Then it was mistaken by someone else unaware of this as a normal empty jug and used for drinks. It would be a minor amount of bleach, just what coated the inner walls.

it would be very diluted, i would expect you can still taste and smell it, but it wouldnt have been obvious without doing so, so come on...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff