Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kuyusi's Partner

Apocalyptic Trash

With the recent incident regarding the Double Rainbow ticket (and let's be honest, way before this was even brought to light) and what happened, I had a thought to myself. I mostly kept to myself because I wanted to read other's reactions to what had happened and also the following reactions when the explanation was given.

My initial reaction was awe because of how some users went to track down the information and connect everything to specific account that was used by staff. But soon after that, the awe shifted into disgust when it was evident of just how everything was going to play out.

As various threads cropped up in different forums and seeing the backlash, I could understand why users were upset. Yeah it was a shady thing to happen but an explanation was given, even if it could be barely held up. But it seemed that things got worse after that.

Not only were users blatantly abusing staff in threads, but they were going through the trouble of PMing and commenting on a profile. The comments were down right unnecessary and uncalled for. But it went beyond that, the abuse this user was enduring was making me uncomfortable. If this was how users were acting after what could be a mistake, what would their reaction be if it had been an intentional move?

The past few days have felt like a witch hunt. It's unbelievable how users are acting. I get it, you're angry about what happened but does that justify the abusive comments and PMs?

And it goes beyond the staff and the one user account.

Users have threatened one another. This is the most I've seen since the whole split on the Anti- GC movement. It's downright appalling how some of the userbase is acting.

It's no wonder the AtA was taken away when it was because of how users are acting.

Users are clamoring for more interaction from staff but how can the staff interact when they are abused? It's hard to stand back and try to not be emotional about something you love but sometimes, posts need to be well thought out and fingers need to be kept from typing hateful words.

And users wonder why they get warnings. If you're threatening another user/staff, it's no wonder. You're not being censored or being singled out. Someone has reported your post, hopefully, since it's the right to do. There is such a thing as being tactile.

gaia_spoons How much is too much abuse from users (against each other and staff)?
gaia_spoons Where should the line be drawn as far as abusing staff?
gaia_spoons Should the staff turn disable comments on their profiles to prevent abuse?
gaia_spoons Should we post personal information of the staff?

More will be added as seen.

Note: I'm not defending Gaia in this thread nor am I attacking any other thread. This abuse has been going on longer than the ticket incident.

Werewolf

Short answer: any abuse or harassment is too much. There's a way to keep the user/staff interactions civilized and respectful even when condemning certain actions or behaviors. It's also extremely important to keep in mind that what we want is better communication and fewer "lies by omission" (for lack of a better term to describe what happened), and threatening people or resorting to personal attacks is not the way to do it. We do need some people to get vocally upset for things to change, but public displays of dissatisfaction (or even anger) =/= harassment or threats. It's partly the reason why I prefer to just acknowledge the information brought up but dissociate myself from a lot of users who have slightly more radical means of getting themselves heard.

But being upset is totally justified and reasonable--that's an important distinction to make, I think.

Dapper Gatekeeper

10,600 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
If you want a less aggressive approach to it you're more than welcome to come to this thread:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-community-discussion/i-can-t-be-the-only-one-not-another-inflation-post/t.94058209/

filled with indifferent people who understand what's going on but are not making a huge stink about it. =)

Aged Prophet

13,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Consumer 100
I feel like the abuse the staff are currently experiencing was part of a gradual process. After AtA got dropped and staff communication pretty much vanished, there was mass hysteria and uncertainty about the future of the site. Now that this inflation scandal got revealed this week users are using staff as a scapegoat to pin the marketplace inflation on. At this point I'm not sure whether artists or the marketing department or w/e are responsible but I think any staff abuse is extremely unnecessary.

That isn't to say staff aren't to blame. This whole issue/the backlash could've been significantly lessened had the staff attempted to communicate with the userbase more. This whole incident was seriously just a ticking time bomb.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Fuzzy Faun

I'm still confused why staff having mules is such a big deal >_>

Got lost in the threads because disagreeing was becoming tantamount to whiteknighting and really, when a thread gets that toxic, it should be locked and moved elsewhere because there's no actual discussion being promoted in a thread

Huge difference between a heated discussion and just spewing hate on those who disagree.

as for spoons, I'll bite? Lick?

Quote:
How much is too abuse from users?
Breaking ToS. Hell, they did locked profile comments when fictional characters were getting too much abuse.

Quote:
Where should the line be drawn as far as abusing staff?
When users break ToS? Didn't think it was that complicated. If I break ToS by abusing another user, I'd expect same punishment if I did it to staff.

Quote:
Should the staff turn disable comments on their profiles to prevent abuse?
If they feel like they're being abused, and that's a measure of comfort, then sure. I believe it's up to the individual to decide.

Quote:
Should we post personal information of the staff?
Absolutely ******** not. If I choose to reveal personal information, it's because I want to. Same goes for staff members; they're people too, with their own personal lives and jobs and families.
For some people, it's a chance to get back at an identified foe and exact their pound of flesh. Gaia has turned from a carefree happy escape to a cold, bitter hell and someone will have to pay...with blood. Mob mentality is common since behind every user is an actual flawed human being angry, afraid, and wanting to get a little bit of control even in an ironic sense.

This will not be the last. We will have explosions that will progressively get larger until we get to the Big One. The schedule may have been accelerated.

BA-Bubs's Princess

Naughty Wife

No form of abuse is okay IMO. I was just saying in an earlier post about how far things can get on here and for me, it has turned from ' oh okay this is some good sleuthing' to ' wtf is happening here?' .
Truth is, users will never be happy with what Gaia provides and there will always be a certain number of people who would rather reminisce over the old Gaia, rather than enjoy that we still have a Gaia to come to and play with daily.
I understand disgruntled users, but going to the extent of harassing other users and staff is completely out of whack and shameful to say the least. I don't blame any of the staff members from staying in the shade because frankly, they would get no chance whatsoever to explain themselves before getting bashed on by a throng of angry bystanders. I stay informed about the happenings here, but I rather not take part because it is a complete waste of time to argue about pixels and first world issues when there are more important things to handle in real life.
I owe Gaia nothing and I expect nothing in return. I pay for pixels and that's exactly what I get from my money spent. Pixels. I can't say everything they do is perfect, but then again it isn't really much of an issue to me because I come here purely for the fun of being with my friends, playing dress up and all the other fun stuff minus the drama.

Lovely topic btw OP.

Kuyusi's Partner

Apocalyptic Trash

sterek
Short answer: any abuse or harassment is too much. There's a way to keep the user/staff interactions civilized and respectful even when condemning certain actions or behaviors. It's also extremely important to keep in mind that what we want is better communication and fewer "lies by omission" (for lack of a better term to describe what happened), and threatening people or resorting to personal attacks is not the way to do it. We do need some people to get vocally upset for things to change, but public displays of dissatisfaction (or even anger) =/= harassment or threats. It's partly the reason why I prefer to just acknowledge the information brought up but dissociate myself from a lot of users who have slightly more radical means of getting themselves heard.

But being upset is totally justified and reasonable--that's an important distinction to make, I think.

Being upset is justified. And yes, we need better communication from staff. That's a given but how can we receive better communication when users react like they need to hunt someone down and burn them?

And there is a way to go about it. But the posts I've seen, aren't that way. They're down abusive and harrassing staff/users. It's more than dissatisfaction and anger. It's evolved to a point that's past that.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I can understand the anger and frustration users are feeling regarding recent happenings. However, I agree with you, it is becoming too much of a witch hunt now. It's why I don't post much in threads regarding the Double Rainbow ticket, because anything I say can and will be misconstrued if they're not what they want to hear. I've had that happen way too many times, and I get called a "staff sympathizer" or "staff apologist" even when I'm just trying to dispel certain misconceptions about them. I also feel that the users posting staff's personal information don't even care that they're violating their privacy. I know they want to provide evidence that the mule accounts buying up the trillion gold items in the MP belong to staff, but posting personal info is not the way to do it.
Because it wasn't a one-time thing & it is not their first mistake. People are fed up & this nasty lashback is the result of months of treating the average user like they don't belong.
Do they deserve it? Maybe not, but do they really expect a different reaction after pages & pages of ignored feedback?

Kuyusi's Partner

Apocalyptic Trash

Aervels
I feel like the abuse the staff are currently experiencing was part of a gradual process. After AtA got dropped and staff communication pretty much vanished, there was mass hysteria and uncertainty about the future of the site. Now that this inflation scandal got revealed this week users are using staff as a scapegoat to pin the marketplace inflation on. At this point I'm not sure whether artists or the marketing department or w/e are responsible but I think any staff abuse is extremely unnecessary.

That isn't to say staff aren't to blame. This whole issue/the backlash could've been significantly lessened had the staff attempted to communicate with the userbase more. This whole incident was seriously just a ticking time bomb.

The last AtA I remember was really volatile. It's no wonder it was dropped and communication dropped because users had proved they couldn't handle it. It's sad of me to say this, but do we really deserve communication when there are users putting staff on the execution block?

Youthful Pants

33,975 Points
  • Master Medic 150
  • Never Give Up 35
  • Cool Competitor 150
Well, for one, there should be no threats, and no harassment of anyone. As the saying goes, if you haven't got anything nice to say... It's one thing to call someone out on something wrong that has happened. That should be done. But making threats/harassing/bullying? That's also something wrong.

I suppose that's up to the staff member. It would keep the bad comments out, but also any positive ones.

No. No personal information. No names, no addresses, no stuff like that. That just invites the crazies to do things.

BA-Bubs's Princess

Naughty Wife

sterek

So off topic, but your Avis always intrigue me with ticklish emotions of omg I want that for me! emotion_kirakira

Krule Keke's Significant Otter

Apocalyptic Rogue

41,915 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Abomination 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Lapsis Stella

They're down abusive and harrassing staff/users. It's more than dissatisfaction and anger. It's evolved to a point that's past that.

"Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

And that's one of the main reasons why staff communication has been at an all time low.

Just about every time someone from Gaia posts in the forums the same thing happens to them. Questioned (about something they might not be able to answer for whatever reason), then questioned why they didn't answer, then attacked, then abused, then either harassed or threatened. Rinse and repeat.

"Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn."

Celestial Spirit

sterek

This, absolutely. There is no excuse for behaving worse than the people you are berating. And we certainly won't get Gaia management to treat us with more respect that way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff