Welcome to Gaia! ::

Thieving Millionaire

9,150 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
After some careful considerations and testing through simulators such as Pokemon Online and
Pokemon Showdown, I've considered the following team for use in X+Y Rated battle systems (unless otherwise stated, assume 31s across the board) :

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Jolly
31/31/31/0/31/31
252atk/252spe/4hp
Unburden
Flying Press
Sky Attack
Payback
Swords Dance

Wanted the same relative accuracy but without the recoil side effect for a miss so I went with Press instead of Hi-Jump Kick I realize the low base defenses don't make for an ideal lead but it does allow for late game sweeping Payback for psychic type coverage

Hydregion@ Choice Scarf
Timid
252sp.atk/252spe/4sp.def
Levitate
U-turn
Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor

at 252 sp. atk/252speed +31 ivs(neutral nature) it would have a natural 349 sp.atk and a speed of 249, Timid brings it up to 324 speed, ideal to counter and sometimes trick anti-leads into a non-trickable poke.

Doublade @Eviolite
Relaxed
252atk/252def/4sp.def
31/31/31/31/31/0
No guard
Swords Dance
Sacred Sword
Shadow Sneak
Gyroball

There is almost no way to make a unique set, but with Gyroball I strongly believe that with exception to bullet proof pokes and against slower tanks/walls that there is little that can stand in the way of Doublade and can prevent at least one SD/SS two step combo from firing off.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Impish
Bulletproof
252def/248hp/8atk
Leech Seed
Spiky Shield
Hammer Arm
Spikes

Realizing that a major flaw in my team is the lack of someone to set up entry hazards I figured I should run a stall set that can make my opponent think twice about switching in and out with the usual Volt Switch/U-turn sets (except into Levitators and flying types)

Victini/Houndoom
Victini: Life Orb Houndoom: Houndoomite
252sp.atk/252spe/4hp
Victini:
Psychic
V-create
Shadowball
Hidden Power (grass)
Houndoom:
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Dark Pulse
Fire Blast

Victini:
Provides the coverage by nfe results that Chesnaught is weak to (fire to naught's grass) and doesn't run the event moveset that utterly wrecks flying types.

Houndoom :
Provides psychic weakness coverage for Chesnaught and counter's its ice type weakness. Major downside is that Houndoom is, like Rapidash, a glass cannon, though mega evolving does allow for the benefit of running a solar power/Solar Beam counter to some water types, as well as the guessing game between mega evolving either this or Blatoise.

Blastoise@Blastoisnite
Modest
176hp/252 sp.atk/80spe
Water Pulse
Rapid Spin
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere

Classic Spinner set as well as opting for the boost of its mega forme.

Thank you for looking through the team, suggestions and criticisms are welcome.

Dedicated Streaker

Vsalinas

Hydregion@ Choice Scarf
Timid
252sp.atk/252spe/4sp.def
Levitate
U-turn
Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor

at 252 sp. atk/252speed +31 ivs(neutral nature) it would have a natural 349 sp.atk and a speed of 249, Timid brings it up to 324 speed, ideal to counter and sometimes trick anti-leads into a non-trickable poke.
As obvious as a Choice Scarf Hydregion may be, you can alternatively run one as a Taunter(maybe with Sash or some other item). I noticed that you do have the Blastoise with Rapid Spin, but you'll be helpless against hazards if it gets knocked out. Also, I found it VERY useful for preventing the opponent from setting up and stopping sweeps.

Thieving Millionaire

9,150 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Speedbrawler
Vsalinas

Hydregion@ Choice Scarf
Timid
252sp.atk/252spe/4sp.def
Levitate
U-turn
Flamethrower
Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor

As obvious as a Choice Scarf Hydregion may be, you can alternatively run one as a Taunter(maybe with Sash or some other item). I noticed that you do have the Blastoise with Rapid Spin, but you'll be helpless against hazards if it gets knocked out. Also, I found it VERY useful for preventing the opponent from setting up and stopping sweeps.

I never thought of that, thanks for the idea!

Original Sex Symbol

10,300 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Full closet 200
Your First 3 Pokémon are your typical OP tactics and for those who cover-up skill with Exploitive Tactics. If you honestly need to spam a Swords Dance Shadow Sneak you are just a jerk.

If you need to run a legendary, ESPCIALLY one banned because it's ability. You are even less of a capable trainer, let alone using a legendary.

Overall, your last few cover your backside (Including Houndoom).
I recommend rethinking what you call a team because so far it's just copycatting what's easy to exploit and you will not make a lot of friends with it.

Thieving Millionaire

9,150 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Nipsy the Succubus
Your First 3 Pokémon are your typical OP tactics and for those who cover-up skill with Exploitive Tactics. If you honestly need to spam a Swords Dance Shadow Sneak you are just a jerk.

If you need to run a legendary, ESPCIALLY one banned because it's ability. You are even less of a capable trainer, let alone using a legendary.

Overall, your last few cover your backside (Including Houndoom).
I recommend rethinking what you call a team because so far it's just copycatting what's easy to exploit and you will not make a lot of friends with it.

I can see and respect your views considering the move sets, while I can't defend Hawlucha(outspeed almost everything as long as they haven't boosted speed or run a priority attack build), I can defend my choice for running the set I have for Doublade.

The most effective set I have seen was to run gyro ball over Iron head as the slower doublade is than the target, the stronger the attack is, the only issue with gyro over Iron Head is that bulletproof completely nulls it and Spiky Shield prevents SS from dealing damage to the user specifically, and causes damage to the user instead.

The top three also take the least amount of "hax" (in-game) and they all but reduce the battle from a game of skill to a game of chance. IE Getting paralysis triggered 5 turns out of 6 and the only time paralysis didn't take effect was either a miss or hurt itself in confusion. So I counter your argument with the following: Which is worse? Move sets that scream "Spam me" or move sets that exploit hax?
Vsalinas
Don't listen to Nipsy. He doesn't know much about competitive battling and thinks it's cheap when people try to use good strategies to win. Ignore his comment about Victini being OP. It's not even an uber this time around and its ability is worthless.

Nipsy can't develop counters, so he goes around calling everything unoriginal, trying to denounce anyone attempting to play the strongest way they can. Your team is fine. There is nothing OP or cheap about it. Your lack of a special wall is troublesome, but you've pretty much covered your bases.

You don't need Mega Houndoom because it'll take one turn to get its mega evolution speed (which makes Victini faster by default). Setting up weather that is beneficial to only one pokemon is a waste of a turn and if Houndoom goes down too early, you'll have the sun up, making it dangerous for everyone but Hydreigon.

V-create is great on a physical Victini, but since yours isn't one, it'll do more harm than good. Most steel types would probably survive it since you have nothing invested in attack. Get a special fire move. That way, you won't be bothered by Forretress, Skarmory, Scizor, etc.

Psychic types are weak against bug as well. Since Hawlucha is too fast to gain paybacks full power, go with u-turn or x-scissor, preferably u-turn since you can hit hard, leave, and not get OHKOed by the predicted psychic attack.

I give your team an 8/10. It lacks a prankster counter and overall seems vulnerable to status afflictions. Also I have no idea what you'd do if you were to run into a mega Mawile.

Thieving Millionaire

9,150 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Pikachew Tobacco

So I should run something with magic bounce instead of trying to be reliant on attempting to OHKO the usual prankster and anti-leads (Whimsicot, Sableye, Klefki).

I suppose I could take out two and insert another pair, possibly go with either Espeon or Clefable but that then leaves me with facing Mega Mawile.

Its physically based and likely has sucker punch, and with its ability would all but one shot half to 3/4ths of my team with that move alone.

Ideal would be to run something that would inflict burn status to negate the doubled attack power of mega mawile.

I suppose if I was forced to use Houndoom instead of Victini I could run a Focus sash set and try to land a will-o-wisp. Alternatively, I could run a mixed wall choice specs Victini and rely on Flamethrower to deal damage and possibly burn Mega Maw.

Romantic Grabber

Hawlucha is crying out for Hi Jump Kick. Flying Press is neat and all but HJK hits harder.

Romantic Grabber

Nipsy the Succubus

If you need to run a legendary, ESPCIALLY one banned because it's ability.

lol

Victory Star is banned? What ban list are you looking at?

Thieving Millionaire

9,150 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Rojo Espada
Nipsy the Succubus

lol

Was probably looking at B2/W2 tier lists where event Victini was a thing (Fusion Bolt, Blue Flare, etc.)

Which was more of the reason why Victini was in Ubers rather than UU.

Original Sex Symbol

10,300 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Full closet 200
Rojo Espada
Nipsy the Succubus

lol

Gen 5 banned Victini from Wireless play. So Pokémon at one point banned it. Otherwise pokemon itself does have a ban list, hence the restricted list.
i am not a pokemon expert nor do i know the rules or follow known tactics. i just kind of do what makes most sense to me.

i've never attempted any of these sets.

i've never been one to like having two of the same type of moves, so sky attack or flying press should go. change one for acrobatics. acrobatics hits harder and acts on the same turn.

hawlucha should really have x-scissor for psychic types. it hits harder at a 60 bp increase. you will never activate payback unless hit with a priority move since you outspeed everything with unburden. however, stone edge should go over x-scissor, because acrobatics hits psychic at 165 bp neutral damage after its effect and stab vs 160 bp super effectively.

high jump kick is a must have.

if you're gonna run swords dance, try hone claws instead. not only does it do half of what swords dance does, but it gives high jump kick and stone edge 100% accuracy, which, to me, is worth it vs the extra boost in attack.

that doublade is too fragile. any dark type special pokemon will demolish it. even fire, ground or ghost types have a chance to kill it.

victini should focus on either attacking or special attacking. or at least that's how i prefer my pokemon. wide lens on it gives bolt strike 100% accuracy while zen headbutt gets pretty close to 100%. better safe than sorry? return/ double-edge for normal damage and power-up punch for an extra boost in attack. u-turn is good too.

that's my opinion. but i'm still a noobie who only really likes playing metagames.

Romantic Grabber

Nipsy the Succubus
Rojo Espada
Nipsy the Succubus

lol

Gen 5 banned Victini from Wireless play. So Pokémon at one point banned it. Otherwise pokemon itself does have a ban list, hence the restricted list.

All event Pokemon are banned. They don't have to be powerful, they just are.
Besides, you're complaining about Victini's ability. Which is not even remotley OP.

Original Sex Symbol

10,300 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Full closet 200
Rojo Espada
Nipsy the Succubus
Rojo Espada
Nipsy the Succubus

lol

Besides, you're complaining about Victini's ability. Which is not even remotley OP.

I think you're just high and mighty about how you're better than everyone because you don't follow Smogon. Here's your problem, neither do I. But I know what's fair and just copying everyone else makes you sham, not a trainer. I don't need guidelines to build a team, I use my favorites and my own talents, and no, my favorites aren't Pseudo-Legendaries either like most people.

Thieving Millionaire

9,150 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Nipsy the Succubus
Rojo Espada
Nipsy the Succubus
Rojo Espada
Nipsy the Succubus

lol

I think you're just high and mighty about how you're better than everyone because you don't follow Smogon. Here's your problem, neither do I. But I know what's fair and just copying everyone else makes you sham, not a trainer. I don't need guidelines to build a team, I use my favorites and my own talents, and no, my favorites aren't Pseudo-Legendaries either like most people.

I used to play that way, heck I even had mild success running a novelty Dusknoir set, but in the end I just kept having my butt handed to me on PO, so I stopped and looked at what my opponents were doing that I wasn't doing, and that was for the most part was switching in and out and predicting what I was going to do.

There's more to a pokemon battle than just find a moveset, copy it, run it. There's creating a team, optimizing synergy, min-maxing for damage, and of course predicting what your opponent is going to do which varies depending on the opponent's build, but generally follows a noticible guideline. Even then, there are going to be times where your prediction is wrong.

I had even gone so far as to experiment in my most played tiers, never did I succeed quite as well as would hope. Then I met someone whom could observe what I was doing wrong and helped guide me into making a potentially winning team, granted it was a Little Cup tier, but the knowledge he bestowed upon me in terms of team synergy inspired me to make this team and look into "Twin core" offensive teams.

So is it my fault that the result of min-maxing ended up as using one of many sets available?

You claim I'm just going to use Shadow sneak from my Doublade's move set and that Hawlucha is going to just fly press/abuse its speed. You're not wrong about Hawlucha, but a Cofagurious with Trick Room negates that, the only slow pokemon I have would be the Doublade and I guarantee that as soon as Shadow Sneak is used No Guard would become Mummy. So, the only solution in that scenario would be to go to +4 atk and strike the groin.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff