Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Would you like a cat with that mortgage?

Russia's biggest bank, Sberbank (SBRCY), is offering to deliver cats to the doorsteps of new mortgage clients as part of a quirky promotional campaign.

In Russia, it's considered good fortune if a cat enters a new home ahead of the owners.

A few customers have already signed up, though cat lovers may be disappointed to hear that the kitties will be on loan for just two hours and then whisked away.

Clients can choose from 10 felines with names like Caesar and Caramel. But they'll have to hurry to secure one -- the bank is limiting the cat campaign to 30 new mortgages only.

Sberbank's promotion may be part of an effort to present a warm, fuzzy image since getting slapped with European sanctions one month ago.

The bank, which serves more than half the Russian population, has been banned from raising medium and long-term financing in Europe. Its shares have plunged by 28% since the start of the year.

Western sanctions against Russia are part of an effort to punish President Vladimir Putin for supporting separatist fighting in eastern Ukraine.

The cat campaign has generated a lot of buzz on social media, but it hasn't all been positive.

One Twitter user -- @Tsimchik -- told Sberbank: "Reduce your interest rates and people will have enough money to run a cat farm!"

A Facebook user from Iceland was keen on the concept, but not the cats. "I would take out a second mortgage if the bank gave me a monkey," he said.

Russian bank offers cats with mortgages
One thing is sure is that cats are cute and lovely pets.
I like them a lot.
heart

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Do you get to choose the cat? I would want a Scottish Fold cat_whee
I just wish you could keep the cat, even with an additional fee redface

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Aww. It'd be cool if they managed to use it as a way to adopt out shelter cats. Play up the whole sponsoring local shelters, helping to adopt out the cats, warm fuzzy feels. Might help people view them in a more positive light.

Kawaii Shoujo

I don't care if it's considered to be good fortune or not... but using cats as a gimmick and their only as a loan for a couple of hours disgusts me stressed

Sexy Goat

13,650 Points
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Determined Egg Hunter 150
We don't even get to keep the cats? (I am heading to Saint Petersburg.) cat_sweatdrop

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Sberbank's promotion may be part of an effort to present a warm, fuzzy image since getting slapped with European sanctions one month ago.

The bank, which serves more than half the Russian population, has been banned from raising medium and long-term financing in Europe. Its shares have plunged by 28% since the start of the year.

CEO: "We have been caught doing bad things and these sanctions are costing us BILLIONS! This is unacceptable! What can we do?
Lackey 1: "Well, my nephew has this box of kittens..."
Lackey 2: "Yeah! Kittens! That will help boss!"

Meanwhile, in Russian homes everywhere....
Ivan: "We've been over this Olga. When you consider loan fees, points, interest rates etc. then (Competitor Bank) will save us thousands of dollars".
Olga: "Yes Ivan, but Sberbank will loan us a kitten for two hours."
Ivan: "Well okay then, I see your point. Let's go with Sberbank".

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff