Welcome to Gaia! ::

OG Gawker

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Divorced 100
So, this is my fourth or fifth account, and I got to thinking,

"I wonder what happened to all my old accounts"

then got to thinking of their usernames, which had no prevail, but I got to thinking about account recovery, if the email was compromised shouldn't Gaia have a log of the IP addresses and the accounts those IP addresses access? I mean that would be a reasonable assumption correct? This would help and narrow down the actual chance of a hack taking place and Gaia should be able to recover the account quite easily this way, perhaps I'm wrong but it is an interesting thought.

Rare

I'm p pissed about the policy that locks accounts after like, six months of not logging in. I only need to log into my mules to farm event grants, I don't want to ever use the ticket system.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
ah so like finding the accounts through the common IP address right?

OG Gawker

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Divorced 100
DJ Twissta

Precisely, like I've never changed my ip address for the duration I've lived here and my old accounts are registered to this IP, and the ticket system does suck, but I just recovered one account and it says for 24 months, which if that is true then you haven't used your mules in like.. two years. lmfao.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Out Of Character
DJ Twissta

Precisely, like I've never changed my ip address for the duration I've lived here and my old accounts are registered to this IP, and the ticket system does suck, but I just recovered one account and it says for 24 months, which if that is true then you haven't used your mules in like.. two years. lmfao.

ah so what I would do is PM a dev about it and see if it's something they could try :3
Wouldn't hurt lol.

OG Gawker

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Divorced 100
DJ Twissta
Out Of Character
DJ Twissta

ah so what I would do is PM a dev about it and see if it's something they could try :3
Wouldn't hurt lol.

I mean that makes sense right? If I'm not mistaken, all websites have a list of IP addresses and the accounts registered to them. That would make the process of account recovering that much easier, and even if they couldn't return the account they should at least be able to provide the name of the account. I mean I had an account back in like '07 that had gear that would be worth much more now, and if it is still there then why shouldn't I be able to get it back?

Also, another thought to tickle your fancy, so the items we purchase from the marketplace are usually one somebody purchased from the monthly collectibles and what not right? so, back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth, say somebody purchased two collectibles that turned out to be the ninja headband or the katana and sold them later on to make profit, so once sold somebody has a pair of katanas or a headband right? Well what if they were locked out of the account or they simply stopped using it? That means their inventory is still there right? So theoretically speaking, That First monthly collectible on Gaia shouldn't even exist anymore, statistically speaking, or there would be only a few copies left, UNLESS Gaia devs and their moderators are recreating the item for their usage and posting them in the marketplace for those to buy under mule accounts. So theoretically speaking, Gaia is bringing up the marketplace to fuel the fire for Gaia Cash.

OG Gawker

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Divorced 100
I'm a conspiracy theorist. lmfao

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Out Of Character
DJ Twissta
Out Of Character
DJ Twissta

Wouldn't hurt lol.

I mean that makes sense right? If I'm not mistaken, all websites have a list of IP addresses and the accounts registered to them. That would make the process of account recovering that much easier, and even if they couldn't return the account they should at least be able to provide the name of the account. I mean I had an account back in like '07 that had gear that would be worth much more now, and if it is still there then why shouldn't I be able to get it back?

Also, another thought to tickle your fancy, so the items we purchase from the marketplace are usually one somebody purchased from the monthly collectibles and what not right? so, back in the day when dinosaurs roamed the earth, say somebody purchased two collectibles that turned out to be the ninja headband or the katana and sold them later on to make profit, so once sold somebody has a pair of katanas or a headband right? Well what if they were locked out of the account or they simply stopped using it? That means their inventory is still there right? So theoretically speaking, That First monthly collectible on Gaia shouldn't even exist anymore, statistically speaking, or there would be only a few copies left, UNLESS Gaia devs and their moderators are recreating the item for their usage and posting them in the marketplace for those to buy under mule accounts. So theoretically speaking, Gaia is bringing up the marketplace to fuel the fire for Gaia Cash.

Did you lose a pair of katanas and a ninja headband on some of your old accounts? lol

OG Gawker

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Divorced 100
DJ Twissta

Did you lose a pair of katanas and a ninja headband on some of your old accounts? lol

Just the katanas. I was close to obtaining a headband, but was hacked before it could happen. Lol I just get to thinking about stuff and I figured that my theory about the IP addresses might be liable to usage.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Out Of Character
DJ Twissta

Just the katanas. I was close to obtaining a headband, but was hacked before it could happen. Lol I just get to thinking about stuff and I figured that my theory about the IP addresses might be liable to usage.

It's not a bad idea, who knows it might actually work :3

Kawaii Spirit

I have an account with a Halo in it and I can't remember the username. Don't have access to the email that I most likely used to sign up either, whatever that may have been. I do wish there was a way to recover that account, for obvious reasons, but I've made peace with the fact that it's gone. Someone probably hacked it and took the Halo by now anyway, I was really stupid with passwords back then.

OG Gawker

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Divorced 100
mayakko

Well hopefully my thought is true and is actually useful lol

Stellar Succubus

The main issue with this is if someone routinely used their account at a place with dynamic IP. It would be constantly different, and so this method would be useless.

Or if they shared the IP with other Gaians, such as family, a boarding house, a school or library.

It would be very hard to prove those accounts came from one person since they cannot find out where the IP actually is (If it's a home IP or a school/business etc) Or even if it is, that there's only one Gaian at that home IP. Plenty of family with siblings or parents and teens have Gaia accounts.

I'm sure it could be factored in, but it couldn't be the only means, they'd have to pair it with other information, or they might risk granting access to an account of someone else.

Kawaii Spirit

Out Of Character
mayakko

Well hopefully my thought is true and is actually useful lol

It all depends on whether or not your IP has changed since the last time you accessed the account. Some people have dynamic IPs, some people have moved, etc. And simple things like a router reset can change your IP. This is why Gaia doesn't do IP bans, it's because IPs change so much.

OG Gawker

6,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Divorced 100
mayakko

Well if that is the case, then you've just shot down my idea ; _ ;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers