Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shy Reveler

24,775 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Well, god dang it. I hope they're able to at least figure something out and not give up.

Newbie Noob

10,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
i wish they would open the project up to trusted, long-time players who have knowledge of coding. even if it's really ancient, convoluted code, volunteers always seem to be able to work some sort of magic. and gaia wouldn't have to pay them o wo

Lucky Exhibitionist

8,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tipsy 100
Ms Fortunes
i wish they would open the project up to trusted, long-time players who have knowledge of coding. even if it's really ancient, convoluted code, volunteers always seem to be able to work some sort of magic. and gaia wouldn't have to pay them o wo

BINGOOOOOO, my thoughts exactly! Damn, guys! There HAS to be a community college somewhere near Gaia offices, grab a few brains from computer science labs and let em go wild. Those types LOVE to be the ones to solve coding issues/problems.

~E

Fashionable Fairy

11,450 Points
  • Party Animal 100
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Cool Cat 500
|||| After much account hopping and settling down. I decided it was time start playing zOMG! to then be awoken with massive latency on Torch/Chrome browser; assuming that I should play on IE or Firefox going to try that out. Also saddened that there isn't as much player base on zOMG! as before, and I missed the nostalgic feeling when doing the quests from the beginning when you take down the Gnome Generals it reminded me of memories of other players commenting while you are being chased. LOL (alwayswantedtoturninthequestinsteadoffighting) Then doing the undersea run don't remember what it's called and Otome! I remember when the beta tutorial was in the sewers with the plungers, I thought that was pretty cool.

zOMG! has sadly been a bit lonely since I am starting for 1.0 CI? I don't even know what the level abbreviation is; been to long. LOL. I really hope they can update zOMG! especially increase the gold from mobs, and hopefully maybe a smoother engine on top of that. BUT since it is old af they are going to have a hard time; feels.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
I still play it but this is sad news especially with the petition I keep updated. I know there are at least 700 Gaians that want the game to be worked on again. I was hoping it would reach 1K signatures, but it hasn't yet. But yeah I won't give up on the game as long as it is around. If it goes, I go pretty much since it was the only reason I joined the site.

Generous Rogue

10,900 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Ms Fortunes

This wouldn't really change the situation, because part of what they are saying is that current technology is unable to support the old design. It wouldn't matter how good people were at untangling the code, because the flash and browsers it was originally fitted to are becoming obsolete. It's like trying to refit a shiney new BMW with the motor from an old Chevy truck - it's just not gonna happen...

Shameless Explorer

11,890 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Market Browser 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Thank you for asking and posting the response!

Unbeatable Tycoon

Seriously? Nothing's changed and now they are gonna let fade into nothing. Not surprised since they decided it was time to move on to something else a few years back
Time for zOMG! 2.0!! twisted

Borg

Ms Fortunes

Yeah, but I get the impression that the core issues this time around are related to middleware that's either no longer supported or was created by companies that are just gone.

ActionScript (on the front end) did change quite a bit after this release, but not so much that a competent Flash developer couldn't figure it out (and they brought back Swarf, so they definitely had someone decent to look it over).

Sucks all around. sad

// Hi guys, been working 18 hour days at a client site doing data visualization stuff for a couple of weeks. I'm going in for some shots this week on my herniated disc with an annular tear...yeeks (same area as the arthritis, too; been doing lots of limping about and squeaking). I was posting some snark on LD then realized I hadn't been by z!f in a while...

Unbeatable Lunatic

well we know for years that the tech is old and no one knew how to script or update it. they could probably hire someone who can but they won't since zomg doesn't make money and hiring someone who will know how is expensive. I'd say they should just remake zomg from scratch with new tech and implement new stuff and ideas so people would spend money on zomg, but for the love of god no pvp and don't make the game where it limits you on how much you can play the game if you don pay.

Expansionist's Significant Otter

Green Fairy

Scobre
I still play it but this is sad news especially with the petition I keep updated. I know there are at least 700 Gaians that want the game to be worked on again. I was hoping it would reach 1K signatures, but it hasn't yet. But yeah I won't give up on the game as long as it is around. If it goes, I go pretty much since it was the only reason I joined the site.

I didn't know about your petition until now. I've signed. zOMG! is the only reason I came back to Gaia in '12 after a long stretch when I didn't have a computer or internet.

Thank you CBB1112 for asking for and posting an update. It is appreciated by people like me who tend to forget to read the forums and refuse to read the announcements anymore.

I'm glad they contracted with Swarf to try to fix things. I have to wonder how much money they're willing to put into the fix though. If Swarf told them that it needs x amount of money to fix but they are only willing to pay half of that then for all intents and purposes it isn't fixable.

Tenacious Glitch

24,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Newbie Helper 100
ForestGreen
Scobre

I didn't know about your petition until now. I've signed. zOMG! is the only reason I came back to Gaia in '12 after a long stretch when I didn't have a computer or internet.

Thank you CBB1112 for asking for and posting an update. It is appreciated by people like me who tend to forget to read the forums and refuse to read the announcements anymore.

I'm glad they contracted with Swarf to try to fix things. I have to wonder how much money they're willing to put into the fix though. If Swarf told them that it needs x amount of money to fix but they are only willing to pay half of that then for all intents and purposes it isn't fixable.

Yeah I try to keep it updated, which I should do today. I think there are plenty of Gaians out there that want each of their features worked on. Even if it turns out the game can't be worked on, I hope that it can be recoded or a prequel or sequel game can be made. But yeah like JK and Mavdoc stated, it's a shame the coding is going to waste. I hope swarf is able to save the game in some way.

Invisible Friend

23,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items