Welcome to Gaia! ::

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Has anyone here studied any dead languages like Latin, Coptic, Demotic,Aramaic? Was it difficult to learn or did you pick it up fairly easily? I'm interested in learning Demotic, which for a time was the language of the ancient Egyptians. And possibly after that, I was thinking of trying my hand at Latin.If you speak Latin, how difficult was it to learn? Do you use it on a semi-regular or regular basis?

Fanatical Phantom

I studied Latin briefly when I was eleven but since I was only eleven with no income and we had dial-up internet at the time, I didn't have much I could actually use as learning tools.

However now that I'm double majoring in history and archaeology, I should take a Latin class or two in school, since it would relate to my education.

TasteChaos's King

Duck

I did Latin for 4 months before I decided I absolutely hated it.
It was 7 years ago though :c

I still remember 1 little poem, or half of it actually
That I use to impress people XD

Quotable Genius

12,425 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I've studied Latin for one year and ancient Greek for three years.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
Padawan Brittany
I studied Latin briefly when I was eleven but since I was only eleven with no income and we had dial-up internet at the time, I didn't have much I could actually use as learning tools.

However now that I'm double majoring in history and archaeology, I should take a Latin class or two in school, since it would relate to my education.
Cool. Yea that could help xD. I'm wanting to get into archeology as a career as well.
How is Latin a dead language? Catholics use it, and in Europe they still teach it in schools.

Quotable Genius

12,425 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
DruggedChicken
How is Latin a dead language? Catholics use it, and in Europe they still teach it in schools.

If no children use it to speak with each other in a playground, then it's dead.

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
i studied latin as an extra class at university for 4-5 months a few years ago.
it was pretty easy to pick up, there just were a lot of forms of a lot of words to remember.
i haven't used it at all since then though so i forgot most of what i learned.
so far i've only found it useful for being able to guess what things mean in other languages that come from latin. sweatdrop

Lunatic

I studied Latin for a year when I was fifteen or so. I found it easy to learn, however I haven't used it since then. I thoroughly enjoyed it though, and have been considering taking it up again. I have to second what Pugnacious Banana said, the only use I've found for it is that (perhaps subconsciously) it has made it easier for me to learn other languages.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
DruggedChicken
I knew Catholics still use it, but I didn't know it's used in Europe, that's cool. I'd always thought it was a dead language. Perhaps not?
Darth Acheron
DruggedChicken
I knew Catholics still use it, but I didn't know it's used in Europe, that's cool. I'd always thought it was a dead language. Perhaps not?

lol I totes forgot about this topic emotion_eyebrow

but LOL I ignored the last comment on my post, that guy saying: " it's a dead language cause children don't speak it "

emotion_facepalm most ******** on this site know nothing

In Europe you can study Latin at age 12 to 18, it is only in the "hardest" branch of school though
the reason for this is that these so called "children who had an extensive education in this and that" will flush through, later in life, to become doctors or anything else that requires latin as a backup language. People who want to have a job as translators perhaps works wonders well.

And yeah well what you call a 12yo? an adult -snort-

Atleast in Belgium it is like that. But I assume since there is also Italy, Portugal, Spain & France, such a system could be legit in those countries aswell.
Sicut Latini multum. Ut plane experiri. :3

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
i'm from europe and my school (and every other school in the area) didn't offer latin as a class.
i'm pretty sure you can't study latin until after highschool where i'm from. sweatdrop
unless maybe it's a highschool class at some kind of fancy expensive private schools, which i wouldn't know about.

Quotable Genius

12,425 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
DruggedChicken
Darth Acheron
DruggedChicken

lol I totes forgot about this topic emotion_eyebrow

but LOL I ignored the last comment on my post, that guy saying: " it's a dead language cause children don't speak it "

emotion_facepalm most ******** on this site know nothing

In Europe you can study Latin at age 12 to 18, it is only in the "hardest" branch of school though
the reason for this is that these so called "children who had an extensive education in this and that" will flush through, later in life, to become doctors or anything else that requires latin as a backup language. People who want to have a job as translators perhaps works wonders well.

And yeah well what you call a 12yo? an adult -snort-

Atleast in Belgium it is like that. But I assume since there is also Italy, Portugal, Spain & France, such a system could be legit in those countries aswell.

Ookay.
The very definition of a dead language is ''a language which is still known and used in special contexts mostly in written form, but not as an ordinary spoken language for everyday communication''.
As opposed to extinct languages that are not taught or used in any way.

So, children may be taught latin but they don't use it in everyday communication, t ex in the playground. Latin is no one's mother tongue today. You didn't need to facepalm at all, you see 4laugh

LoIiWaifus's Wife

Blessed Noob

❝ a few years ago i had to take latin at school and personally i hated it. though it's very helpful to learn latin languages. i guess if you like learning these kind of languages, latin would be a very useful language for literature and understanding scientific words. ❞

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff