Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
re-enact Missouri shooting

An Alabama teacher was suspended after her sixth-grade students re-enacted along racial lines the police shooting of Michael Brown, the black teenager whose killing in Ferguson, Missouri, has sparked nightly clashes, school officials said Friday.

The skit was the students' idea, but the teacher erred when she did not stop them from acting it out, said Audrey Strong, principal of Brantley Elementary School in Selma, Alabama, where the re-enactment occurred on Monday.

"The teacher made the poor judgment of allowing that skit to continue once she saw the props and the context," Strong said.

The incident happened after the teacher assigned her students to select a current event to re-enact as an extension of a social studies lesson, Strong said.

The students, most of them black, chose to act out the Aug. 9 shooting of Michael Brown, as well as the 2012 slaying of Trayvon Martin, a black teen shot dead in a confrontation with neighborhood watch patrolman George Zimmerman in Florida.

The students used a fake weapon and played their roles along racial lines, with whites acting as the shooters and blacks as the victims, Strong said.

Strong declined to provide the teacher's name, race or the length of her suspension without pay, which was ordered by the school district on Thursday. But said she has not been fired.

The principal described the teacher as dedicated but inexperienced.

The incident came to light after a parent of a student in the class took to social media on Tuesday to voice her anger.

"They are teaching these children to hate one another when we're supposed to be teaching them to love one another," Jessica Lynn Baughn wrote on Facebook.

Phone messages left with a Selma resident of that name were not immediately returned.

The incident highlights the balance teachers must strike in encouraging students to think and act creatively while keeping them within the bounds of what is acceptable, Strong said.

"As educators, we still have to monitor that learning and redirect it if need be," she said.

Not funny
Considering Zimmerman was hispanic, who played his role? And what facts did they use, or did they put forth their personal opinions?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Old Blue Collar Joe
Considering Zimmerman was hispanic, who played his role? And what facts did they use, or did they put forth their personal opinions?

Yeah, I wondered how historically accurate it was myself.
Especially since the 'facts' are being hotly disputed and investigated.

Given the assignment it is not very surprising the kids came up with this.
It had to be something in the news. Logically it had to be something with few enough people involved they could act it out. It is reasonable to expect they would pick one of the bigger current news stories rather than something obscure. Most of what comes to mind doesn't seem appropriate for them to be acting out. The ones they did. Or the recent executions in Gaza, or the beheading of that journalist. Maybe people dying horribly from ebola or attacking and looting the medical clinics.
There are all kinds of opportunities for that assignment to go sideways.

Also -
"The students used a fake weapon ..."

OMG! I hope it wasn't a pop tart or a roll bitten into the shape of a gun or (gasp!) a 2 inch plastic rifle from a GI Joe action figure. I mean, that's prison stuff right there!

Tipsy Smoker

Good they aren't putting out the teacher's race and adding to the issue.

Apocalyptic Comrade

28,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hero 100
Teacher should stopped the skit..or at least reversed the roles. If the majority of the class was black, then the white kids should have been 'shot', not been put as the 'killers'. Social Studies lesson of the day; Minorities outnumber the 'white' kids now. So long as they're re-inenacting social events, they should have been expected to shoulder the burden of being the majority.

They're not happy? To bad. The skits should have been limited to that which has already been settled in the news recently. Wrongful prison sentences, saving miners, and the situations in the Middle east are all much better.

Loyal Exhibitionist

Honestly, if I was a teacher and my students wanted to do a skit on what happened recently (Boston Bombing, Zimmerman and the recent event) I'd ask them to do something else because those kind of subjects are still rather touchy and would likely lead to bad results.

That's just me, anyway.

Lavish Husband

Hasuki Aatisuto
Honestly, if I was a teacher and my students wanted to do a skit on what happened recently (Boston Bombing, Zimmerman and the recent event) I'd ask them to do something else because those kind of subjects are still rather touchy and would likely lead to bad results.

That's just me, anyway.

^

Kawaii Shoujo

Hasuki Aatisuto

That's just me, anyway.
Your not alone.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Teacher lets students do the project that they chose: banhammer.

Teacher throws a five year old against a wall repeatedly and claims he bullied her in class: Paid vacation.

What the ******** is wrong with the American school system?
Alexander J Luthor
Teacher lets students do the project that they chose: banhammer.

Teacher throws a five year old against a wall repeatedly and claims he bullied her in class: Paid vacation.

What the ******** is wrong with the American school system?

It's unionized and attempting to get rid of a teacher is nearly impossible.

While the topics they chose had the potential to be very interesting assignments, the teacher should have made them find all sources and present both sides of the issue, and see just how badly the media can spin a story to cause the public to swallow horse s**t.
(Note that I take neither side in either issue, since I still have questions for both and thus, cannot make an informed decision.)

Comrade

people still think zimmerman is white
civilization II

They have to. Otherwise it takes away all the supposed 'whites are killing blacks for breathing' crap that many enjoy.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
civilization II

They have to. Otherwise it takes away all the supposed 'whites are killing blacks for breathing' crap that many enjoy.

But you can be white and Hispanic though.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
SparkyKid3000
Old Blue Collar Joe
civilization II

There's a hierarchy of hate. Notice how Tiger woods was a White-Asian golfer, then he got better and was Asian-Black, then he went pro and became and official Black golfer. Then the cheating scandal happened and suddenly he was White-Black. More one or the other depending on your social standpoint.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Alexander J Luthor
SparkyKid3000
Old Blue Collar Joe
civilization II

There's a hierarchy of hate. Notice how Tiger woods was a White-Asian golfer, then he got better and was Asian-Black, then he went pro and became and official Black golfer. Then the cheating scandal happened and suddenly he was White-Black. More one or the other depending on your social standpoint.

I never paid any attention to Tiger Woods (hate golf). I always found it funny how people label mixed individuals. For a while people told me I was too light to be black and I "talked white." Others said I was too dark to be white. ******** it. I guess that explains why I always had Asian friends growing up. Didn't seem to matter to them. cheese_whine

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff