Welcome to Gaia! ::

Listen here:

In several of my college classes, the teacher likes to ask how everyones summer went and the usual replies were something like

"I went overseas to hawaii on vacation"

"I went to visit my aunts and then we went on a two week trip to france."

"I went surfing, skydiving, and went on a cruise."

But then I go on the internet and the usual replies to the "How did your summer go?" question are something like

"I worked all summer."

"I stayed home all day browsing the internet and looking for a job."

"Look for a job while being unemployed."

It's not just about summer vacation; it's about their outlooks on life. Most people I meet in real life are content with their life if it's not an amazing one for them while people on the internet are completely depressing and so down all the time.

I see how negative people on the intternet are, the people who exclusively stay on the internet most of the time.

Why is this? Have you noticed this?
Compare people in real life from those who spend a lot of time on the internet. What are your comparisons?

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Well, for me personally my life being transgender has been pretty s**t, and the internet helped me cope by giving me anonymity. Such an outlet kept me sane enough to hold on until things got better. And now I no longer feel addicted to the internet.

I do perhaps use the internet too much, sure, but that's mostly a transportation issue, since it's hard for me to hook up with friends.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Could just be that it's easier to complain on the internet. People don't like bitching around in person. If you've ever noticed, a person can be asked how they're doing in person and respond with, "Oh, I'm fine, thanks," shortly before getting on Facebook or something and ranting about how their day was s**t.

Images to keep up, etc.

Sparkly Vampire

Probably because you can be more honest online because no one knows you in real life

Fashionable Ladykiller

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Signature Look 250
It varies by age and financial capabilities. I remember being 12 people on the internet were awesome and especially the ones my age, we talked a lot. As I got older it took me a while to want to talk to others because they got boring. Can they afford to do something? Do they have enough social contact offline that they have something interesting to say? I have a lot of awesome stuff I like to talk about, but apathetic people are just so lame and they're all I see.

I've noticed that really it is the people struggling that are a let down. I've seen other people who spend a lot of time on the internet that still bring something to the table, and I've seen people struggling with their own problems that use the internet a lot that are a real bummer.
Why is working all summer considered negative, in your opinion?

Spoopy Kitten

People online dont need to fake smiles like we do during our everyday life

Wealthy Fatcat

I worked all summer, and I loved it.

Dapper Explorer

6,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Popular Thread 100
yeah its also easier for people to be haters online
i guess its easier to say your thoughts when you are on your own rather than with people who will judge you

Original Shoujo

Phenothiazines
Why is working all summer considered negative, in your opinion?

it isn't if it makes you HAPPY and you tell it with a SMILE smile
otherwise...why would you have nothing better to do all summer than work?

Original Shoujo

Koda-Keet
I worked all summer, and I loved it.

see, that's what I mean! smile
some people go online because they are searching for something

Hygienic Regular

A lot of people probably use the internet to vent or to express what they're really thinking! In person, there's probably more of a pressure to say something semi-positive.

User Image
not everybody is so lucky to have the time and $$ to go globetrotting during the summer.

i worked all summer. i didn't like my job, but it was necessary and temporary so i dealt with it.
if you want to judge me for doing what i have to do to pay my rent and tuition, go ahead. =P

anonymity allows for more honest negativity. people who speak up in class want to impress. also, they probably weren't in hawaii for all four months. if i answered that question in class i'd say "i went to vancouver island and climbed mountains and snorkeled and saw awesome animals," not "i mostly worked at my shitty job."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff