• Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Gnostic Christian Bishop
Rumblestiltskin
Gnostic Christian Bishop
True. My focus was on humans.

Regards
DL

Right, I figured that. And at first, I was like "oh yeah...I guess he has a point" but then I looked back at the question and it never specified human evolution.

"As far as humans, what do you think is our next evolutionary form?"

No comment required my friend.

Regards
DL

.....Touche...(goes back to school to learn how to read) sweatdrop

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
We'll probably go extinct before we can evolve.

Liberal Friend

I know a brain doesn't need to be massive in order for it to contain vast knowledge, but if we keep up with this age of information, maybe we'll increase our knowledge. No doubt, what kids know today, kids did not know in the past. So, maybe we'll have supercomputer-like brains! Only in science fiction.

Zealot

I don't really see any selective pressures on modern humans, so its pretty much impossible to predict what will happen.
Alluring_Mystique
So life is constantly evolving right? As far as humans, what do you think is our next evolutionary form? Surely it doesnt stop here right? The animals too, what do you think they will look like? Seeing as how we evolved from the cell up into where we are now. This would suggest that we should continue right? How long does the process take anyway, seems like weve been looking this way for quite some time ey?

Side question: Does evolution ever reach a stopping point?

Unfortunately I have some bad news. It does not appear there will be another great evolutionary phase for humans. According to virtually all geneticists humans are degenerating genetically as is everything else.

It's hard pill to swallow but we can observe the effects of genetic degeneration in viruses and bacteria. Illnesses break out suddenly (usually after lying dorment in a natural resorvior.) can be very aggressive and then die out. Like SARS did. As the virus replicates itself mutations or mistakes are made. A mistake here and there doesn't effective it too much but it builds on it. Eventually 10% of it's genetic code has been mutated. It can no longer function and simply dies. That's why so many die during the initial phase of a pandemic but then it sizzles out and people start surviving it. How quickly this happens depends on how high the mutation rate is.

As the aecond law of thermodynamics says everything decays. It appears our genetic code is no exception.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
LaughingWombat
Alluring_Mystique
So life is constantly evolving right? As far as humans, what do you think is our next evolutionary form? Surely it doesnt stop here right? The animals too, what do you think they will look like? Seeing as how we evolved from the cell up into where we are now. This would suggest that we should continue right? How long does the process take anyway, seems like weve been looking this way for quite some time ey?

Unfortunately I have some bad news. It does not appear there will be another great evolutionary phase for humans. According to virtually all geneticists humans are degenerating genetically as is everything else.

It's hard pill to swallow but we can observe the effects of genetic degeneration in viruses and bacteria. Illnesses break out suddenly (usually after lying dorment in a natural resorvior.) can be very aggressive and then die out. Like SARS did. As the virus replicates itself mutations or mistakes are made. A mistake here and there doesn't effective it too much but it builds on it. Eventually 10% of it's genetic code has been mutated. It can no longer function and simply dies. That's why so many die during the initial phase of a pandemic but then it sizzles out and people start surviving it. How quickly this happens depends on how high the mutation rate is.

As the aecond law of thermodynamics says everything decays. It appears our genetic code is no exception.

First off, provide evidence for your assertion. Secondly, even if you were right, there is still a change in gene frequency over time....which is the definition of evolution.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
LaughingWombat
Alluring_Mystique

Numerous citations needed. None may come from Christian or creationist sources.

Those who are ignorant of evolution as well as thermodynamics who appeal to the second law are ******** hilarious.

Newbie Hunter

well, in about 10 years I think we'll start to see the horrible effects on raising your kids vegans.
I think the next step in human evolution will be self determined, with cybernetic and genetic advancements being used to augment humanity. Of course, that's thinking of evolution in a very "micro" sense, changes over the next hundreds of years, rather than thousands, even millions.
Rumblestiltskin
LaughingWombat
Alluring_Mystique

First off, provide evidence for your assertion. Secondly, even if you were right, there is still a change in gene frequency over time....which is the definition of evolution.

I'll just give you one citation and you can follow the trail from there if you wish to. James F. Crow's Speculation on Human Degeneration. Motoo Kimura is also a big name and you may want to consider her stuff as well if your actually interested. There's a lot of theories out there for why we are seeing it as well as what it might mean for the population. If your the optimistic sort I suppose you could hope that a strong helpful mutation might result in some x-men. Looking at the research with the lense of trying to fit it into any particular theory the numbers look rather scary for us. I'm sure you can come to your own opinon on the matter though.
Matt Pniewski
I think the next step in human evolution will be self determined, with cybernetic and genetic advancements being used to augment humanity. Of course, that's thinking of evolution in a very "micro" sense, changes over the next hundreds of years, rather than thousands, even millions.

Ive heard about this
LaughingWombat
Alluring_Mystique

No, you are flat out wrong. The reason people die in the first phases of an epidemic is almost always because the virus mutated in the first place. Then people develop resistance to it, at which point the epidemic phases out unless there is another mutation that sustains it. Flu is a classic case of this going through the cycle of growth to immunity to a mutation allowing for more growth pretty much every single year.

Further you cite Crow as evidence later on. His speculation on human fitness degredation is simply a statement that modern society allows people to survive mutations that would have killed them previously, and so those mutations are accumulating. That is an example of exactly what you would expect to happen when you lower selective pressure, and it applies ONLY to humans (and domestic animals, should we allow it). Your "interpretation" of it is comes from creationist sources who are deliberately misrepresenting it to imply something it does not say, as is your "interpretation" of thermodynamics. It's a hard pill to swallow because it's not a pill at all, its a giant steaming pile of cow dung. You should probably stop swallowing it yourself.

Wilderness Expert

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
LaughingWombat
Rumblestiltskin
LaughingWombat
Alluring_Mystique

I'll just give you one citation and you can follow the trail from there if you wish to. James F. Crow's Speculation on Human Degeneration. Motoo Kimura is also a big name and you may want to consider her stuff as well if your actually interested. There's a lot of theories out there for why we are seeing it as well as what it might mean for the population. If your the optimistic sort I suppose you could hope that a strong helpful mutation might result in some x-men. Looking at the research with the lense of trying to fit it into any particular theory the numbers look rather scary for us. I'm sure you can come to your own opinon on the matter though.

No, how about you demonstrate what you understand about evolutionary biology by intelligently discussing the work of these two gentlemen, including why someone who is so obviously knowledgeable on the topic referred to Dr. Kimura as a female and the meaning of the word "theory" in science.

This oughta be good.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces