Welcome to Gaia! ::

i'm in the same boat. my dad's a pastor, but it was my mom who forced everything. i left the church at 15, but i had to claw my way out because she didn't want to accept it at all. threatened to kick me out of the house (because that's what being a good christian is about, right?)

i was always really disturbed, not usually by my own family (my mom being an exception from time to time), but by the attitudes of people within the churches we went to, especially the older crowd. very judgemental and homophobic people who would only open their mind slightly if the pastor had something liberal to say about it. in general, religious communities irk me. there's nothing wrong with the bible in and of itself but when people use it to justify their hateful opinions, i have a problem.

i am grateful that my dad is a very left-wing sort of guy. i didn't really grow up listening to his sermons because he worked for the government most of my childhood. he has a church now though. i went for the christmas service once, but other than that i've avoided religion entirely.

i consider myself agnostic and i doubt that will ever change.

DeanMcloven's Waifu

Tipsy Explorer

Eh... For me personally, I had no idea about God or anything until I was like 8. Then when I was 14 this girl invited me to church with her and I loved it. They were like a second family for me. However these days I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I ever went to Church. I've never really been superstitions or very religious. And in all honesty I probably wouldn't believe in God had I not seen this video called Love Costs Everything.
Religion is a crazy thing.

Timid Lunatic

User Image

My parents raised me to be Catholic, but I strayed from that path around the age of 15. In all honesty, even as a kid, I questioned the point of going to church, saying prayers, etc. None of it seemed logical to me, and all the rituals felt creepy, like a cult. I'm glad I was able to break away when I did.

Now I consider myself agnostic-- I'm not completely knocking the notion that something higher could exist out there, but I don't know what it is and I don't necessarily care.

I view religion as a thing that's cool for other people, but I can't personally see the point of it. I don't feel like anything's "missing" from my life without it.

I think people should be allowed to practice any faith that they want, because that's their choice, just as it's my choice to remain agnostic. Just don't try to convert me, and we're good.

User Image

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I was raised in a religious household, but including my childhood, I've only ever believed in religion insofar as I wanted magic to be real so I could be a mage class, and read books on it. Now I'm just an atheist.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Petrosoap
i'm in the same boat. my dad's a pastor, but it was my mom who forced everything. i left the church at 15, but i had to claw my way out because she didn't want to accept it at all. threatened to kick me out of the house (because that's what being a good christian is about, right?)

i was always really disturbed, not usually by my own family (my mom being an exception from time to time), but by the attitudes of people within the churches we went to, especially the older crowd. very judgemental and homophobic people who would only open their mind slightly if the pastor had something liberal to say about it. in general, religious communities irk me. there's nothing wrong with the bible in and of itself but when people use it to justify their hateful opinions, i have a problem.

i am grateful that my dad is a very left-wing sort of guy. i didn't really grow up listening to his sermons because he worked for the government most of my childhood. he has a church now though. i went for the christmas service once, but other than that i've avoided religion entirely.

i consider myself agnostic and i doubt that will ever change.

It does seem like a lot of people use religion to displace the burden of forming their own thoughts and opinions on seemingly complicated issues, and in that way, even on the occasion I agree with the conclusion they come to, I consider the communal aspect to be harmful.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
Religion is like having a d**k. It is great that you have one, it is useful, but people need to stop trying to shove it down everyone's throats.

Original Gaian

I find religion interesting, like most myths.

Lavish Loiterer

Mehhhhh....
-shrugs-
Agnostic

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
I dislike faith, and western religions in particular are fueled by faith. I don't mind people believing certain things as long as they have a least a little agnosticism about it. But faith inherently makes people blind.

I do quite like Shinto and Buddhism though, as they deal more with finding harmony in one's self and alongside nature.

Lucky Star

I feel like religion is a waste of time.... honestly.

There's tons of different religions, there's no knowing which one is right, or if any of them are.

So we spend our whole lives "worshipping" our idea of a diety and then die.
if you're right or wrong you won't know until you die.

So really....what's the point?
Anti-Life-Engine
Liberals are retarded
banswithoutachance
it is the primary source of evil in the world and the biggest threat to humanity.

1. Ideas and inanimate objects cannot source any good or evil.

2. Evil and good are subjective anyways.

3. Humans are the greatest threat to humanity.

1. destruction and harm can be done from a source it doesn't have to be a person of character. harm can be done which is as bad as evil, the only reason why evil would be evil is because it does harm. we should just talk about the harm.

2. they are not. if you impose negatives on other people for your own positives you are evil objectively you glib hilist ******** wit.

3. intelegence or humans aren't the problem probably more so toxic cultures, and just dumb mechanics that are built into this life game and our psychology.

1. who decides what harm is

2.IT is subjective there is no eternal evil….if you kill a rapist are you evil….good and evil is simply the law and the law is completely arbitrary we can go back and forth for days discussing whats evil but my truth can still be different from yours aka yea its subjective

3. Humanism is definitely the worst threat to humanity…The whole idea of human is flawed an error
Lol and religion is part of humanism so from the very start we know its flawed ….no truth will ever come out from it…..spirituality is different though….meditations….many great philosophers have written meditations…spirituality is like thinking…. its different, religion is just nationalizing and race, trying to put people into groups bringing them further apart

Blessed Prophet

Organized religion is just a way to control the masses.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff