Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
From Arizona to New York, alleged thieves are turning those tiny iconic plastic interlocking bricks you grew up with into cold, hard cash.

On New York's Long Island on Friday, a 53-year-old woman was arraigned on grand larceny charges for allegedly stealing about $60,000 worth of Lego sets and trying to sell them on eBay, the Nassau County Police Department said in a statement.

Gloria Haas was arrested Thursday after allegedly stealing 800 sets of the 80-year-old toys from a Long Island storage facility and moving them to a facility in another town, police said. She had intended to sell the toys on eBay, officials said.

It was not known whether Haas has an attorney and she was not immediately available for comment Saturday.

Authorities are not saying, but alleged thieves could be capitalizing on the enduring popularity of the simple little bricks which generated $1.1 billion in profits last year for the Danish toymaker.

"The Lego Movie," which was released in February, made $69 million in its opening weekend and has grossed more than $250 million so far, according to Box Office Mojo.

In Phoenix, police arrested four people allegedly involved in an elaborate Lego theft scheme, according to CNN affiliate KPHO.

After the arrests, police spent 10 hours Friday loading onto trucks more than $250,000 worth of Lego sets stored in a garage, KPHO reported.

Cops: From Arizona to NY, thieves turn Legos into hard cash

Kawaii Shoujo

That's actually really... creative biggrin , though it's a good thing that the thieves were apprehended 3nodding
It always blows my mind how expensive legos are

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
punk otaku mom
It always blows my mind how expensive legos are

indeed, there are many bionicle sets i never got due to not having the money for them.
then they discontinued bionicle & started that hero factory crap

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I find it rather amusing that the apparently stock photo they used to head this story about Legos does not appear to be real Legos at all but rather some sort of knock off.
Either that or Lego has recently changed how they make their bricks - but I doubt it.

A real Lego brick has the word Lego imprinted on each of the round 'bumps'.
The bottom of the Lego has round circles and a Lego copyright.
The bricks in the photo for the news story have neither.

I put it in a spoiler to avoid page stretching but here is a photo of the front and back of a Lego brick.

(And yes to the comments about how Legos cost too much)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff