Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magical Shounen

6,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
People say that it's 10x better but in what way, storyline, content, end-game content etc etc?!

Wheezing Phantom

11,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I'm curious too. I barely played Xillia because it went back to the stiffer battle system from earlier Tales (I do intend to play/beat it though), but if I hear that Xillia 2 has a battle system like Graces, I WILL BE ALL OVER THAT s**t.
Couldn't really say for certain, but I'd assume the field designs are probably improved. As you got further in all of the fields (as in, non-important filler areas with a buttload of monsters) started looking like they were just vague recolours of each other. I may be thinking that because I replayed Xillia about 4-5 times to get every trophy and 100% the game.

The battle system isn't -quite- the same as Graces, in that you still your hp/tp instead of your cc bar and stuff, but you do have your free running, side-stepping etc. so you're not so much on a single line between you and the enemy all the time. That's what I've heard, anyway, I could be wrong - will judge when I get the game a week today I guess!

Eloquent Conversationalist

11,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Contributor 150
The newest issue of GameInformer did a review on it but it doesn't seem to be on their website yet. Anyways they gave it a 7.75 but that won't stop me from playing the game.

GameInformer
From the review: Tales of Xillia's 2's issues first appear in the pacing; the plot starts slow, taking about 10 hours to get interesting. Part of this is due to a debt-paying mechanic introduced early on so players can interact with the side-content and to better prepare for harder battles in the game. Later on, it becomes an annoying roadblock because you can't proceed until you pay off a portion. the game's side-quests are typical "fight this monster" or "get this item" the only interesting aspect is the side chapters that come with the returning characters.

More in-depth backstory given to characters like Leia where the reviewer remarks on her being dead-weight in the predecessor. They also remark on how the battle system is improved from Xillia 1 and how it's "more fun than ever" and feels like a fighting game. You're allowed to swap weapons around this time. dual blades, sledgehammer etc. Each weapon type works differently and better on differing monsters/opponents. The link system is back and there's a transformation skill. Affinity will increase the more Ludger is linked to someone else. Affinity will also increase with dialogue choices made in-game cutscenes.

Instead of the sphere-like grid system of Xillia 1 you'll now equip elemental orbs that up your stats, skills and other attacks. If you set an orb that your team member already has it'll improve it. "Tales of Xillia's 2's biggest crime is how it reuses content from Xillia 1" You visit new areas in Elympios but Reize Maxia stays very much the same. On top of that, you visit fields, dungeons and towns multiple times, and it's even worse if you factor in the side content. Fields still have collectibles to gather but dungeons are linear but the lack of new environments is dissapointing.

--- REVIEW END.

Side-Note: These are all the negatives and some minute positives that lead to the scoring for Xillia 2.

Dapper Spotter

Characters get more development and backstory that was otherwise handled poorly due to the rushed nature of Xillia.

Elympios is more thoroughly explored, opposed to the first game where there was a town, a dungeon, an optional dungeon and that was it.

The main character has dialogue options for pretty much all of his dialogue, a first for a tales series.

A few more characters to play as in addition to the original cast.

Multiple endings.

The story is overall darker than the last game, some people say it's one of the darker games in the series.

pls niu 's King

Magical Shoujo

- a problem with the life force of the world(s)
- a traitor in your group
- and someone in your party will be connected to the life force somehow. probably female and you probably will develop a crush on her

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff