Welcome to Gaia! ::

Partying Prophet

Though the games haven't been nearly as good as the original trilogy/quadrilogy, I was just wondering what the fans prefer? I know Downpour and Homecoming aren't the titles people usually think of when it comes to the SH franchise, but for me, though I am not a fan of either I prefer Downpour more, just because it isn't as action focused as Homecoming, though I do respect what Homecoming tried to do, the graphics for Homecoming were exceptionally better than Downpour's clunky/glitchy environment and atmosphere, and I'm glad that Homecoming axed the breakable weapons that were introduced with Origins, though it brings a sense of realism to the games, I wasn't a fan of how I had to constantly worry about weapons breaking on me.

As I stated above, I'm more of a fan of Downpour because it wasn't as action focused, but I'm not a fan of the limited monsters, the glitches, etc.

I enjoy Homecoming for many reasons, Akira coming back is definitely one of them, but it's still as low on my list as Downpour is.

For me:
SH3
SH2
SH1
Shattered Memories
SH4
Downpour/Homecoming
Downcoming, definitely.
Unpopular opinion incoming!

I enjoyed both Downpour and Homecoming.

I even like Silent Hill: Book of Memories on the PS Vita.

I've always been interested in games that everyone else seems to dislike, since day one!

Here's looking at you, Devil May Cry 2!, Dragon Age 2 and Bioshock 2!

Partying Prophet

Akaru Renuji
Unpopular opinion incoming!

I enjoyed both Downpour and Homecoming.

I even like Silent Hill: Book of Memories on the PS Vita.

I've always been interested in games that everyone else seems to dislike, since day one!

Here's looking at you, Devil May Cry 2! and Bioshock 2!

Your opinion is your own, and you're entitled to that, and I respect you for sharing regardless of knowing that there is always a possibility to be bashed for your opinion. I've never played the Devil May Cry series, but I do prefer Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite over Bioshock 2. Thank you for sharing~! : - )

Questionable Traveler

I actually liked Homecoming. Downpour, not so much.
The idea surrounding Homecoming was interesting to me, and I wish it was longer, and went in to more detail. (As creepy as that sounds.) It really added more horror when you think about it. The Genius Loci is spreading. I like games that I have to keep an eye on weapons, though. Otherwise I get too complacent.
Downpour just didn't make much of an impression on me, however. I'm not even 100% sure I finished it. emotion_sweatdrop

I like all the games pretty much equally, outside of Downpour, but my (vague) order is:
SH2
SH1
SH3
Homecoming
Shattered Memories
SH4
Downpour

Wheezing Phantom

11,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Liked Homecoming well enough, except for the fact that I rushed through the last level and had to fight the final boss with a freaking KNIFE. My friends wouldn't let me give up, so yes, I did win, but MAN, that was horrible.

Barely touched Downpour since it came out on the same day as Tales of Graces and I never went back to it.

My priority list would be:

SH2
SH3
SH1
SH4
Shattered Memories
Origin
Homecoming
Downpour
Book of Memories

And I wouldn't even say I disliked BoM, but it was definitely my least favorite.

Hilarious Hunter

12,050 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
I always call Downpour a 'Step in the right direction' or 'The best Silent hill developed not in Japan'.
Homecoming was ok, but the knife was the best weapon the whole time and that was weird to me.

Partying Prophet

halidom
I actually liked Homecoming. Downpour, not so much.
The idea surrounding Homecoming was interesting to me, and I wish it was longer, and went in to more detail. (As creepy as that sounds.) It really added more horror when you think about it. The Genius Loci is spreading. I like games that I have to keep an eye on weapons, though. Otherwise I get too complacent.
Downpour just didn't make much of an impression on me, however. I'm not even 100% sure I finished it. emotion_sweatdrop

I like all the games pretty much equally, outside of Downpour, but my (vague) order is:
SH2
SH1
SH3
Homecoming
Shattered Memories
SH4
Downpour

Downpour was...something. But I agree, the ideas surrounding Homecoming were very interesting, and don't worry about Downpour, even if you did finish it you don't really get a sense of closure.

Partying Prophet

The Amazing Elazul
I always call Downpour a 'Step in the right direction' or 'The best Silent hill developed not in Japan'.
Homecoming was ok, but the knife was the best weapon the whole time and that was weird to me.

Downpour probably was the best Silent Hill game not developed in Japan, but I wish it would have went through more bug testing in it's beta stage, I like how the incorporated the moves from Shattered Memories in as well, but like I said, I wasn't a huge fan of the breakable weapons, I also feel like Silent Hill didn't need to be as open as it was, I'm happy they decided to show why it was known as a 'resort town', but I was perfectly fine with the way it looked in SH2 and SH3.

Benevolent Loiterer

11,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Generous 100
  • Big Tipper 100
I liked origin 2 and 3

Cultist

I really enjoyed the story and characters of Homecoming. Some of the music was good too, and the enemies as twisted as in previous games. Only one thing really bugged me in that game.
Downpour didn't... feel very Silent Hill. Storywise it was all there, but the big open areas to explore, limit of how many weapons you could carry and the fact they broke, just turned me off completely. Its been over a year since I played it, but... if I remember correctly, weren't the enemies immune? Like, they could be knocked down but not killed completely? It made the first playthrough all that more frustrating. Having said all that, I will attempt to beat it this coming halloween.

Partying Prophet

midnitevil
I really enjoyed the story and characters of Homecoming. Some of the music was good too, and the enemies as twisted as in previous games. Only one thing really bugged me in that game.
Downpour didn't... feel very Silent Hill. Storywise it was all there, but the big open areas to explore, limit of how many weapons you could carry and the fact they broke, just turned me off completely. Its been over a year since I played it, but... if I remember correctly, weren't the enemies immune? Like, they could be knocked down but not killed completely? It made the first playthrough all that more frustrating. Having said all that, I will attempt to beat it this coming halloween.

I think they could be killed, I was going for the bad ending, just because I really didn't care, but every time an enemy dropped I tried killing them with what I thought was an effective ax to the chest, but it turns out that I didn't kill them, and I ended up getting one of the good endings at the end.

KTGomasaur's Wife

Lavish Fairy

9,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
i dunno, man. i didn't actually play them myself but i watched the hub play both of thembecause i LOVE watching people play horror games. so i can't really say much on the gameplay itself since i was watching someone else, but both very much entertained me visually, as well as the stories

Interesting Smoker

Downpour, because I thought Murphy Pendleton was an interesting character and I really enjoyed the themes they used with him. Game itself wasn't even that bad, just that it really lacked in monster design.

Also, Murphy's first reaction to being exposed to the Otherworld was probably one of the more believable.

Tipsy Vampire

midnitevil
...but... if I remember correctly, weren't the enemies immune? Like, they could be knocked down but not killed completely? It made the first playthrough all that more frustrating. Having said all that, I will attempt to beat it this coming halloween.

You might be thinking of Shattered Memories, where Harry can only push enemies that are grabbing him away.

Like a few others, I actually enjoyed Downpour, and I'm sorry it received such a lukewarm reception. I didn't particularly worry about weapon degradation in it compared to Origins because weapons littered the place and, unlike Origins, were actually useful.

So for my list it's

Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3/1
Silent Hill 4/Downpour
Homecoming/Shattered Memories

Origins

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers