Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Phantom

3,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Turnilk
A lazy brain does sound like a weird feeling. I hope starting to write again helps you get out of that funk, or whatever its supposed to be called.

Damn.. I would recommend selling it for parts or to someone who wouldn't mind fixing it. At least you'd get something out of it. The typewriter I had would beep at me when I spelled a word wrong, but wouldn't or couldn't tell me the correct spelling. It was so very annoying. I ended up selling it at a yard sale xd

Thinking about it more, I could probably fit a 3x2 board on the door to my room. And if I'm going to do that, I should get something that uses the entire door. I wonder where I put the measuring tape...

I won't be doing the choose your own adventure story any time soon since I have other projects at the moment, but I think it will be a fun thing to do at some point. At least, the one other time I wrote one it was fun.

Dude, it has helped immensely. I'm more proactive and hands-on with things now because i'm used to actually pondering again. Also, I lost the typewriter [go figure]. And see, ridiculous idea sometimes lead to useful discoveries biggrin
Also yeah I think I just got the most story progress I've actually done since I was in high school. I mean, I think I started at 10:30 and it's 12:45....Feels great!! I haven't reread any of it but that feeling--that rush of creative flow..Omg man. redface
Aksull
Dude, it has helped immensely. I'm more proactive and hands-on with things now because i'm used to actually pondering again. Also, I lost the typewriter [go figure]. And see, ridiculous idea sometimes lead to useful discoveries biggrin
Also yeah I think I just got the most story progress I've actually done since I was in high school. I mean, I think I started at 10:30 and it's 12:45....Feels great!! I haven't reread any of it but that feeling--that rush of creative flow..Omg man. redface

You seem all energetic and cheerful, so it appears like it has a good impact on you. Lucky... My creative work doesn't really effect me in such a way, but my journal writing does. I get all my feelings out in my journal once a week and I'm nicer and calmer toward other people for the most part.

The creative flow feeling is indeed a good feeling. Careful not to burn yourself out, and you might want to put down the caffeine.
Soup Dumpling
I am a binder clip thief. When I show up, binder clips disappear.

eek You sound like my room mate. I asked him to get me a couple of clip boards and he took them from his work place. Surprisingly, no one ever noticed.

Demonic Wolf

8,650 Points
  • Timid 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Hellraiser 500
I use a computer because I feel like it makes things easier. My hands tend to cramp less because I tend to press extremely hard when writing on paper (which destroys my lead stocks for mechanical pencils oh god).

I also like using Microsoft Word because it spell checks everything. It can be annoying, tho, because I tend to maje up names or use obscure names, but I'm awful at spelling.

However, I like hands on writing just as much, it's just those awful cramps oh goodness. I typically write out notes and things to add to stories, tho, because I like physical copies and I can remember details better if I physically write them.

So a combination of both I suppose. :3

Toothsome Elder

Turnilk
Soup Dumpling

eek You sound like my room mate. I asked him to get me a couple of clip boards and he took them from his work place. Surprisingly, no one ever noticed.
Different from binder clips, but I probably would have done the same wink
Soup Dumpling
Turnilk
Soup Dumpling

Different from binder clips, but I probably would have done the same wink

Yes, different item, but similar acquisition method. He'll also steal people's lighters and pens if people leave him alone with them.

Lonely Phantom

3,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Turnilk
Aksull

You seem all energetic and cheerful, so it appears like it has a good impact on you. Lucky... My creative work doesn't really effect me in such a way, but my journal writing does. I get all my feelings out in my journal once a week and I'm nicer and calmer toward other people for the most part.

The creative flow feeling is indeed a good feeling. Careful not to burn yourself out, and you might want to put down the caffeine.

Hah. I had 2 cups around four I'm pretty sure. I take meds that affect my mood though, so I'm not really sure if that had an effect. Either way, I was just really excited to have written that much so easily. I'm considering this one of my last projects if nothing comes from it, so any progress means a lot. I've been looking into world building and stuff (I didn't know there was a word for what I was trying to create in my head) and I'm finally finishing vital steps to put this whole damn thing together. For some reason small details are important to me, so getting a few pages written out finally defining races and cultures made working on the actual story a breeze; having a broad timeline and multiple pages of brainstorming simply isn't enough. I'm used to making things up as I go and writing kinda in free-flow spontaneity(sp?).
Aksull
Turnilk
Aksull

Hah. I had 2 cups around four I'm pretty sure. I take meds that affect my mood though, so I'm not really sure if that had an effect. Either way, I was just really excited to have written that much so easily. I'm considering this one of my last projects if nothing comes from it, so any progress means a lot. I've been looking into world building and stuff (I didn't know there was a word for what I was trying to create in my head) and I'm finally finishing vital steps to put this whole damn thing together. For some reason small details are important to me, so getting a few pages written out finally defining races and cultures made working on the actual story a breeze; having a broad timeline and multiple pages of brainstorming simply isn't enough. I'm used to making things up as I go and writing kinda in free-flow spontaneity(sp?).

Maybe you were excited to start writing again and it effected how much and how fast you wrote it?

I love world building. Sometimes even more than writing the story itself. It takes a lot of brain work. I actually have a world that I worked on for over a month before realizing I had no story for it xd

It can be difficult to try out a new way of writing that you aren't used to. I'm sure you can make it work though. Stick with the "Who, what, why, when, where, and how?" and I'm sure you can figure out how things are supposed to go. Or you can get all the world building aspects down and then free write a story. There is no rule against mixing and matching different ways of writing.

Lonely Phantom

3,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'll get through it for sure. I've used different methods of writing but I've just done a whole lot of write it as it comes to you that I can't help it sometimes. Right now I'm just exhausted...I want to work on things but I can barely stay awake, yet I can't sleep anywhere...Also I just realized that I'm not sure what happens next after the particular place I stopped. I feel like rereading my recent addition will be pointless and confusing if nothing else, provided my current state of mind..I've done outlines, but I see different directions right now. Like, a lot of directions--from character switching (a self challenge) to simply what exactly happens next. I can exploit an event that happened in the past to the main character's father by having it happen to his son (the reader won't know it yet, but it'll come up) which would be, in my opinion, a cool thing to do although that route has a few problems. And then there's the easy path..which could either be simple or exciting. I dunno mayun. I could focus on other things atm though..I still need to do my map--which needs done...
I'm the kind of person who compulsively buys notebooks. I really like the cheap little ones they sell at drug stores, since they fit in all of my purses. I like being able to have a notebook on hand at all times. For the same reason, I always end up nicking those tiny little pencils they keep in Ikea razz

I prefer writing rough drafts and plotting things by hand, and then typing up second drafts on my laptop. I just use openoffice for that. For some reason I can't get any version of ms word to work on my laptop?? Very mysterious.

Lonely Phantom

3,300 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
and-IMJ4VERT
I'm the kind of person who compulsively buys notebooks. I really like the cheap little ones they sell at drug stores, since they fit in all of my purses. I like being able to have a notebook on hand at all times. For the same reason, I always end up nicking those tiny little pencils they keep in Ikea razz

I prefer writing rough drafts and plotting things by hand, and then typing up second drafts on my laptop. I just use openoffice for that. For some reason I can't get any version of ms word to work on my laptop?? Very mysterious.

Earlier, someone mentioned...ugh I don't remember what it's called but it's mentioned in the thread, something with google. But you might find a good alternative thru that. I myself have no problem with wordpad, considering my info is mostly done in my notebook. A backpack would be useful sometimes.
Aksull

Earlier, someone mentioned...ugh I don't remember what it's called but it's mentioned in the thread, something with google. But you might find a good alternative thru that. I myself have no problem with wordpad, considering my info is mostly done in my notebook. A backpack would be useful sometimes.

I used to use google docs all the time, when my family had multiple working computers but no spare USB drives. But that gave me issues too at times - it would delete whole lines that I'd just written for no reason, and sometimes would forget to save huge chunks of writing. That was a while ago so I dunno if the site still does that, but I'd rather not take any chances.

Wordpad works well in a fix. Sometimes I find it easier to write there than on openoffice. Something about a blank doc on openoffice staring me in the face can be intimidating razz

Feral Loiterer

I write almost exclusively on my laptop. Mostly, because I can write faster and clearer and I don't have to stop when my hands cramp up. I use Scrivener as my writing program. I like it because it is crazy organized. They have a 30 day free trial so you can see if you like it.

I do have a notebook, though, for when I have an idea or something needs to be developed. I work all that stuff out in there, and the notebook is exclusively for the particular story I'm working on.

Ruthless Lunatic

and-IMJ4VERT

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who compulsively buys notebooks!!! I'm also kind of a compulsive pen buyer...I have well over 200 pens from over the years...and one of these days I really need to go through them and chuck out the ones that don't work (some of them I've had since high school, and that was a good while ago ninja ).
I have some really nice-looking journals too...that I've yet to write a single word in because I don't want to mess them up with scribbles and whatnot (and I can never find my white-out when I need it lol ). I guess the compulsion with pens, paper, and notebooks is just part of being a writer. rofl

ZypTrek's Wife

Dapper Lover

Aksull
Hey! It's me again.

I picked up some supplies today and spent $9 on supplies for writing.

I had a somewhat recent breakdown after spending a few years living house-to-house with different friends. I lost a lot of my things, including notebooks that I had filled with my writing over the course of 13 years. I threw away what I had left a few months after my son was born; three books of poetry I wrote going through highschool. I also lost all of my books I've ever owned.

That's all very much besides the point though! I was wanting to know what everyone else stocks up on for writing, and maybe like your reasons for doing so. When I went I bought a 180 page 5 subject notebook, a set of G2 pens (I can't find V5's anymore!) and 8 multicolored clipclick pens for editing, etc. I also got white-out and paper clips.

Obviously I prefer writing with a pen and paper over typing on a laptop. I'm an extremely fast typer so I'm not really wasting time by having to reread and type things out.

What kinda supplies do you guys get? How much do you usually spend?
If you use a computer exclusively, why do you choose that route instead? What word program do you use? You get the gist! Tell me about your writing habits tools and tricks of your trade.

First of all, I feel you on what you're saying. I moved from Kentucky to California to be with my husband and recently lost everything that I owned in that venue because of faulty shipping. Delivered an empty box. Broke my heart.

As for supplies - oh my writing desk/area I have quite a few things. Two jars completely full of different colored pens... because for some reason, as a writer... I need that? No, really. I also have a dry erase calendar, because I find that writing out the words that I've written for the day, word goals, what commissions I have to do (I'm a freelance commission writer), gives me a good visual on what needs to be done.

I also have a small tree of post it notes and note cards. Honestly taking notes, having scraps of paper... anything is helpful.

I have three notebooks, one of which is for recording my writing as I do it. As in, "Word sprint for 20 minutes, x amount of words written." Because I find that establishing a writing pattern is really helpful. I have another notebook for simply writing down anything that I want to... and one that is exclusively for writing down ideas and inspiration. I carry that one with me everywhere, because I can see the sun glittering through leaves or hear a sentence and need to write it down before I forget.

>_> I also have a Keurig Coffee machine <_< But I'm just a nut like that.

However, I use my laptop for the most part. I'm gonna tell you about a freaking amazing program if you don't use it. Scrivener. Trust me. Get it. It'll change your entire writing process!

As for how much I spend on stuff...? I just kinda go with the flow. 3 dollars here, 10 there if they have a school sale going on and pens and notebooks are cheaper. Depends on the need.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff