Welcome to Gaia! ::

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Omnileech
No, I'll stay on my high horse because I'm educated about the sociological phenomenon of riots and clearly you and the others are not if you're going to frame a primal, emotional, group action as a rational, planned occurrence by a group of people.

Or people like you grouping the petty theft opportunists in with the people marching for an injustice as if they're the same.

Omni,
I know how much you like pissing contests but I'm done here.
You are putting words in our mouths and making incorrect assumptions. Simple as that.
I'm not going to bother reading your links but I'm willing to bet none of them disagree with the concept that riots and violence are not the most productive ways to reduce tension and violence - regardless of the cause. Which is what the folks you quoted were trying to say.
I'll type it slowly since you apparently were unable to read it the first time -

"Saying that riots and violence are not helping the situation and there are more productive things that can be done =/= clueless about why riots and violence happen"

And no one said petty theft and marching for injustice are the same.
But 'marching for injustice' does not have to equal 'riot'.
As I have pointed out several times there are lots of people in that town subjected to the same frustrations and the same mob mentality but only a very small percentage of them are destroying buildings and shooting innocent people.

You are actually arguing something different than the folks you quoted were saying.
It's like someone said, "Arson is sad and destructive" and you responded with, "You stupid ignorant people don't have a clue why arson occurs". Two different things.

Anyway, you go about your day feeling smart and superior to the rest of us.
I'm done here.

Tipsy Capitalist

7,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
What happened to Michael Brown was terrible. I really don't believe the cop who I am sure had pepper spray on him didn't need to shoot the dude so many times. Was shooting him once in the leg out of the question? Was he that threatening? Usually deadly force every time a black male is concerned has been a problem for a long time in this country.

People like to say this isn't a race problem...but it is. Police brutality is a nationwide problem which subgroups into a huge problem for black people. We are demonized and seen unworthy of life or protection automatically.

The "riots" are being limited to the looting and while I don't agree with it people seem to be erasing the fact that people are peacefully protesting daily while being met with militant force. Rubber bullets and tear gas seems a bit excessive. Especially since this looting happened on one night.

Eitherways something needs to be done about this racist culture that's interwoven in our law enforcement.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
sir mocha latte
What happened to Michael Brown was terrible. I really don't believe the cop who I am sure had pepper spray on him didn't need to shoot the dude so many times. Was shooting him once in the leg out of the question? Was he that threatening? Usually deadly force every time a black male is concerned has been a problem for a long time in this country.

People like to say this isn't a race problem...but it is. Police brutality is a nationwide problem which subgroups into a huge problem for black people. We are demonized and seen unworthy of life or protection automatically.

The "riots" are being limited to the looting and while I don't agree with it people seem to be erasing the fact that people are peacefully protesting daily while being met with militant force. Rubber bullets and tear gas seems a bit excessive. Especially since this looting happened on one night.

Eitherways something needs to be done about this racist culture that's interwoven in our law enforcement.

You are making some pretty big generalizations there.
Police don't use deadly force every time a black person is involved. But the times they do usually makes the news.
"Bad cops" don't just act on black people. I'm very white and I was once victimized by a white cop who lost her job over it.
There are plenty of news stories out there of 'bad cops' (white or black or otherwise) overstepping their authority and/or treating whites and other non-blacks badly.
There are a great many cops and other first responders who do not demonize blacks or consider their lives unworthy.
The riots were not limited to looting. They have included drive by shootings at police, a drive by shooting of a woman, alleged shooting at a police helicopter, complete destruction of business due to arson - etc.
The violence and other actions did not just happen in one night.

I agree with your general premise that there is a problem but the problem is bigger than just "all cops hate black people". Overstating things does not help the discussion.

DraconicImpulse's Partner

Loyal Prophet

9,925 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Bookworm 100
Although I agree that it was wrong for the police officer to shoot this young man, it is also wrong for these people to turn to violence. As much as I despise corporate America right now, these businesses had no hand in this crime.

There were witnesses to the shooting that stated Michael Brown was running away with his hands up saying, "Don't shoot." And the officer in question then shot him multiple times. This is police brutality.

I also saw that Brown's mother has made a public statement saying she wishes for this police officer to get the death penalty. I understand what it is like to lose a child, and it is not easy. But this man's death will not bring her son back. Two wrongs will not make it right; it only makes you just as guilty. I would rather have him convicted and have to live with himself and what he has done.

But that's just my opinion.

Tipsy Capitalist

7,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
David2074
sir mocha latte

You are making some pretty big generalizations there.
Police don't use deadly force every time a black person is involved. But the times they do usually makes the news.
"Bad cops" don't just act on black people. I'm very white and I was once victimized by a white cop who lost her job over it.
There are plenty of news stories out there of 'bad cops' (white or black or otherwise) overstepping their authority and/or treating whites and other non-blacks badly.
There are a great many cops and other first responders who do not demonize blacks or consider their lives unworthy.
The riots were not limited to looting. They have included drive by shootings at police, a drive by shooting of a woman, alleged shooting at a police helicopter, complete destruction of business due to arson - etc.
The violence and other actions did not just happen in one night.

I agree with your general premise that there is a problem but the problem is bigger than just "all cops hate black people". Overstating things does not help the discussion.

And there you go making some very "Ive been hurt too" statements as a way to erase the fact black people are targeted by many police officers. "it's not a race" thing erases racism against POC. I'm not speaking about "bad cops", I'm speaking about racist cops emptying their clips into black people. They are plenty other stories but i doubt there are as many ones for white people as there are for black people and non-black POC. as a black person i will tell you that we are demonized in the media. People called Brown's peace sign a gang sign and were quick to state "he had no criminal record" (bc if he did he must be asking for it). Eric Garner, John Crawford, Sean Bell and more were treated like animals and this was on the basis that black people are perceived as threats.

The woman who was shot said that she was shot by a police officer. The looting and "rioting" was limited to one night by a different group. Most of the protestors have been peaceful. Peep the #Ferguson tweets and see the live stream by the residents themselves. They have been called monkeys by 911 operators, journalists and other media (Antonio French) have been arrested for their coverage, rubber bullets have been shot into the crowd, and local restaurants shut down early preventing residents to get food in the evening.

It sickens me every time someone white dismisses racism as a problem in this country. Do you really believe people are making up their encounters with the police? We are all not bloodthirsty criminals looking for a sob story.

Tipsy Capitalist

7,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Luna_Douglas
Although I agree that it was wrong for the police officer to shoot this young man, it is also wrong for these people to turn to violence. As much as I despise corporate America right now, these businesses had no hand in this crime.

There were witnesses to the shooting that stated Michael Brown was running away with his hands up saying, "Don't shoot." And the officer in question then shot him multiple times. This is police brutality.

I also saw that Brown's mother has made a public statement saying she wishes for this police officer to get the death penalty. I understand what it is like to lose a child, and it is not easy. But this man's death will not bring her son back. Two wrongs will not make it right; it only makes you just as guilty. I would rather have him convicted and have to live with himself and what he has done.

But that's just my opinion.

Not trying to be offensive, but have you lost a child? I am against the death penalty but at the same time it isn't my place to tell a mother how she should mourn the life of her slaughtered child. I doubt he would get the death penalty because he killed a black boy.

Do you have proof that everyone resulted to violence? The police started off violent during their candlelight vigil before some people retaliated.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
sir mocha latte
...People called Brown's peace sign a gang sign...

I'd like to weigh in on the bolded bit, as trivial as it is, it still bugs me.

A typical peace sign is the index and middle finger extended and spread, directed upwards, with the palm facing the viewer, the other three fingers being curled into the hand almost like a three-fingered fist. Seriously, google "Peace Hand Sign" and tell me if you spot anything like what Brown was throwing up.

What Brown was flashing was the thumb, index and middle finger extended and spread, with the back of his hand showing to the viewer, his hand tilted (in relation to him in the picture) 90-degrees to his counter clock-wise. I don't know what it was, but it sure as hell wasn't a peace sign.

Tipsy Capitalist

7,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Silvia Crow
sir mocha latte

A typical peace sign is the index and middle finger extended and spread, directed upwards, with the palm facing the viewer, the other three fingers being curled into the hand almost like a three-fingered fist. Seriously, google "Peace Hand Sign" and tell me if you spot anything like what Brown was throwing up.

What Brown was flashing was the thumb, index and middle finger extended and spread, with the back of his hand showing to the viewer, his hand tilted (in relation to him in the picture) 90-degrees to his counter clock-wise. I don't know what it was, but it sure as hell wasn't a peace sign.

And if it wasn't a peace sign? is it that important to note?
Better yet...

Peace Sign?

Are you well versed in the local gangs of Ferguson and their gang signs? Also as a person who does the peace sign in different "hipster" forms it never really seems to matter to my peers how I hold it.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
sir mocha latte
Silvia Crow
sir mocha latte

And if it wasn't a peace sign? is it that important to note?
Better yet...

Peace Sign?

Are you well versed in the local gangs of Ferguson and their gang signs? Also as a person who does the peace sign in different "hipster" forms it never really seems to matter to my peers how I hold it.

It may help explain some this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Tipsy Capitalist

7,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Silvia Crow
sir mocha latte

Oh and according to this "gang sign" chart (the right side is satirical) we would be considered gang members too with the way some of us use the rock on, peace up, Westwood and a-okay sign.

gang?

Just going to be honest, no one would have said it was a gang sign if that hand belonged to a white teen. So please, stop.

Tipsy Capitalist

7,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

I am loving you right now lol.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers