Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Prophet

11,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
This is a private roleplay between myself and minaarchangel, so please do not post unless you are one of us. If you think you are one of us, you may be having an identity crisis and might need to get some help. o.o

--

It was a bright and sunny day. A cool breeze filtered from the veranda. The sitting room was calm and quiet except for the tapping of the keys on the piano. Icy blue eyes skimmed over the sheet music in front of him. Sparda’s large hand reached out to trail underneath a few of the music notes. He contemplated them for a moment as well as the title before he felt the vibration of footsteps behind him.

Lifting his head up from the Baby Grand piano, a smirk touched his features. His brow lifted, cheerful to see the other man across from him. “I see you're here again...I thought we weren't speaking after...our disagreement.' Calmly, he rose from his seat and smiled at the other man standing across from his. Blue eyes met lavender and he tilted his head to the side before holding his hand out towards the other in greeting.

Ralcosel Wild’s mouth twitched into a wide grin. He reached forward to shake hands with Sparda. His tone was lighthearted and happy. “Disagreement? Haha. We're friends, just because we don't come to terms with everything doesn't mean we’re bound to hate each other. Come on now, guy.” He reached up to run his fingers through his black hair, pulled back into a pony tail.

As the demon lord pulled his hand away, he glanced down at the evidence of oil on his fingers. The residue must have been left behind from the other working. “I suppose…you're right...” He took out a handkerchief from his suit pocket to wipe across his hand. “Thanks for the present by the way.” A dry chuckle escaped him.

Ever the jokester, Ralcosel pointed Sparda’s hand. “Oh, you like it? It’s fresh from this morning, I thought you could use a little touch up. Thought I’d start working on that bike for when Dante turns 16. Vergil doesn’t strike me as the mechanic type. You know, he’s gonna need someone to teach the boys how to drive-“ He was cut short though by his friend giving him that knowing look.

The white-haired man’s mouth set into a thin line and he picked up the sheet music. “This gift, a**.” He couldn’t help but smile as he handed the music over.

“Oh yeaaaah.” Ralcosel laughed heartily, taking the papers from him. “It’s for the misses. I thought I’d mail it to you first, to see what you think. Is it okay? Mom always said I had a knack for writing really beautiful stuff,” Giving a casual shrug of his shoulders, the man shook his head. He suddenly cast his gaze to the ground. “You know what they say though, we are our own worst critics.”

Sparda had known Ralcosel for a number of years. No matter what was the case he had never seen his friend so…hard on himself. He always smiled, but this time was different. “You didn’t name it.” His tone was gruff, but gentle. Pointing to the blank title, he smiled at the other and placed a hand on his shoulder. “You spent all that time working on that bike for one of my boys and you forgot to name your masterpiece.” Circling to his front, he again took the sheets from him. “It’s great though. Eva will love it, but it still needs a name.”

For a moment Ralcosel held his smile but then it faded. His brow furrowed with worry and he pursed his lips. “…Sparda. We have to talk.”

“Is it mine?” The white haired demon grinned, his sarcastic quip clearly not received with the same amount of humour he’d hoped it would be.

“You wish, but…No. I have to tell you something, but it could change everything.” Ralcosel exhaled a shaky breath and pinched the bridge of his nose.

For a moment, Sparda stared at him and tilted his head to the side. “…Well, what? What is it?”

“I can’t say it…Not out loud!” Ralcosel hissed, clenching his fists before glancing up at his friend and he beckoned him closer to lean in to whisper in his ear.

Quickly, Sparda pushed back away from his friend, eyes wide and his mouth set into an angry scowl, but there was fear in his gaze. “You did what?!”

--
It ended too quickly for her liking. Her eyes shot open to the blare of the radio from the front of the tour bus. Brownish-green eyes darted back and forth in an attempt to make sure the real world was not another part of her dream sequence. Groggy from sleep, she rubbed at her eyes to fight away the last dregs from her nap and abruptly sat up on the lounger, surveying her surroundings. An old leather violin case had become her pillow during her nap and she quickly brushed it off as though she’d offended the instrument somehow. “Sorry, daddy.” She whispered, so no one could hear her.

It had been two weeks they’d been on the road for this tour and this was the third time in a row that she’d had the same recurring dream. Reaching up to run a hand through chocolate coloured locks, Mara groaned in exhaustion. She’d been able to cope with the idea of her father being gone for more than 12 years now. In that span of time, she had never expected to escape the life of an orchestra member and into the realm of...pop music. She also never dreamed she’d be best friends with a famous pop star either, but somehow it happened.

Fumbling for her socks on the carpet floor, Mara grumbled something about cold feet and tugged the blue footies around her ankles. ”Standing up, she made her way back towards the mini kitchenette area where she was sure to find her friend, pouring over the latest set music she’d written for their next show. Her eyes settled on the girl in front of her and smoothing out the fabric of her blue sun dress, the 24-year old woman plopped down in front of the “idol.”

“So…?” Her voice was soft and wispy as she began the prelude to her question. “What do you think? I felt…for the opener, it might be a good idea to reel the crowd in slow. Maybe give them a bit of anticipation for your new song.” Her fingers tapped nervously against the table top and she pursed her lips in concern, but her thoughts weren’t on the notes she’d written for their next performance. Her brow furrowed with worry and Mara shifted in her seat, anxiously awaiting a response. “Maybe I should rewrite it…?”

--
The hot water felt wonderful pelting his skin. Dipping his head forwards, he let the warmth wash over as he let his mind wander. A number of different thoughts processed through his head all at once. Earlier this year, he had developed a taste aversion to pizza. Lady hadn’t been by in months to collect payment (mostly for the bike he destroyed). He was pretty sure the spam from the local scam artists wasn’t helping either, because after a while he had disconnected the phone, so business had been rather scarce.

Stepping out of the shower, he dried his hair off with a towel and plopped down at desk. A mess of half-empty Chinese take-out containers littered the place as he sifted through them to satiate his hunger. He scrunched his nose up in distaste as he picked up some Hunan chicken. “Why should I bother eating all this s**t? I'm just gonna be hungry again in an hour." Carelessly, he tossed the container into the trashcan and glanced at the phone. He could call for some pizza right now but he hadn’t had much taste for it since…

A sinking feeling settled in his gut and Dante suddenly felt a little angry at the idea. He didn't want to think about Vergil abandoning the human world. He didn't care that he and his brother differed on key views, but he was concerned for his twin. There was no contact. There was nothing. He was gone and he shouldn’t worry anymore.

"********." He hissed through his teeth as he tossed another container away. What did he care what happened to Vergil? The guy didn’t give a s**t about him. So why should he?

He finally found a box of sesame chicken and lifted a piece to his mouth. Surveying his “office” he took in his surroundings. The retro jukebox in the corner was all banged up from Dante hitting it so many times. The ceiling fan squeaked above his head. He had at least several piles of trash bags sitting around the room he’d been too lazy to take to the dumpster.

Out of the corner of his eye though, an article in the newspaper caught his eye and chewing thoughtfully, he picked it up to read it over. “…Famous Popstar Makes Way to Tour at the Modell Performing Arts Theatre to bring revival to town ravaged by crime and construction…” Making a face, Dante scoffed. “Since when to famous hot babes give a s**t about this side of town?” He glanced out the window at an ice cream truck making its rounds through the newly renovated neighborhoods. Oh, yeah since the demons no longer appeared to be a problem.

Smirking, he thought nothing of the news article at first but then felt that something didn’t seem right about the report. Picking up the paper again, he swallowed his bite and tilted his head to the side. Call him crazy, but there had to be more to this story. His mind might have been playing tricks on him, or some mind-controlling demon got its way into his officer.

Connecting the cord back into his phone, punching in a few numbers on the keypad, he held the receiver up to his ear.

"Information Services. How may I help you?" A cheerful older woman sounded on the other end of the line.

"Yeah, hey. Listen ma’am, I got a…uh problem here. Looking for some confirmation on a news article that ran in the paper today. I just want to make sure my uh…eyes ain’t playin’ tricks on me. You know, tabloids and uh…stuff.” He glanced over the paper again before he listened to a few keys typing on the lady’s computer.

“Certainly, sir. I can confirm this information for you. Give me just one moment.” The sound of keys typing in the background sounded. While Dante waited, he couldn’t help but make a few faces over the phone. Ah, the joys of childish impatience.

While he lingered on the phone, a shadow darted quickly from the corner of his eye. Narrowing his gaze, Dante carefully reached for Ivory sitting on his desk. “Listen, no disrespect or nothing lady, I’ve kind of got an appointment I need to get to. Is there anyway you can speed this along?”
Keeping his tone casual, he made it appear as though he wasn’t paying attention to what was going on in the other corner of his office. A quick lunge from the shadow and Dante pulled the trigger twice without blinking before the demon dropped dead in the middle of his floor. Phone still in hand, he balanced it carefully on his forearm with the receiver at his neck as he passed over towards the beast, squirming and screeching on the floor. Stomping on it’s face with his foot, he pointed the gun at its head and fire off another few rounds just in time for the woman to come back.

“Sir?”

“Yeah, hey. What took ya so long? I was afraid you got lost.” Chuckling, his smile faded when he gazed down at the demon disintegrating beneath his feet.

“Yes, in regards to the news article, it’s not part of any of the local tabloids. This is a confirmed report and your eyesight is fine.” Ooh! She was sassy, he liked her.

Grinning, he shook his head. “All right, great. Thanks, doll.” Hanging up the phone he pulled his pants up a little bit. “Well, if my hunch is correct, where there’s a concert…there’s bound to be trouble. Probably a babe in distress,” As he turned to grasp his trench coat, another sharp shadow caught his gaze and he spun to shoot again. “Scratch that, there will be.”

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
The tour bus was their home away from home when they were on the road. There were three total, one for the main band, which was made of male members who played the instruments, one that was not as nearly as nice for the teamsters, and the main one, for the slender woman of twenty three sitting at the table, laptop in front of her, cotton candy pink sound cancelling headphones over her ears and the other only female member of the group. It was her favorite colors inside, dark purple with ivory accents, and set up for a comfortable ride from place to place. There was a jet too, that the record company had made over just for her, but she liked working on the road.

If anyone had to guess who the pop idol Pandora was, they would never guess that it was the woman sipping from a cup of coffee, staring at the computer screen through rectangular glasses sitting on her petite nose. The only thing that said pop star about Iris Weatherby was that her long copper curls ended in lavender blue instead of more copper. The rest of her, from her gray jersey cold shoulder top and her jeans, ending in fluffy, bright pink rabbit slippers, said librarian who had not had to go to work that day. She had the laptop in front of her, a keyboard plugged into it and on her lap, and her fingers were going through the notes over and over again as she scribbled occasionally on a pad of paper.

When Mara sat down in front of her, Iris smiled, always pleased with her company. She had made a real friend in the violinist that had come to work with her, and had become more prominent in her music because as much as the masses seemed to love Iris's voice and songs, Iris loved her violin. She loved the way the bow slid across the strings, the way her fingers performed the vibrato effortlessly, the violin not moving an inch, the sweet way it echoed out just before the crowds screamed and begged for more.

Reaching up, she pushed the headphones off, unplugging them, and turned the laptop around so that Mara could see it as well. She smiled a bit, "I love what you wrote. I put it in, listened to it, enjoyed it. I think what we'll do is rearrange the set list. We'll play the couple of songs that most people are there to hear, and then we'll switch out to the new stuff after the five minute intermission. Then the third part of the show we'll finish up with stuff from the most recent album."

Iris let the piano version of the notes play, so that the violinist could hear them as well. When it was finished, she nodded, "I like it as the opening to the second third of the show. Something different, so those people that have all come here following the tour get something different. Besides, Lionel suggested we should give them something fresh, shake things up a bit, and I think switching out the order will do that just fine. And I want them to really listen to it. At the beginning of a show, they don't listen to a damn thing."

Lionel Fenix, manager of Pandora and subsequently her back up band, was fresh to the job himself, only with them a few months. But it seemed like as soon as he took the reins from his predecessor, Robert Jackson, Pandora had become more popular than ever. He had encouraged this tour, and had been close by to make sure they got whatever they needed. When she suggested they get bus just for the teamsters and roadies, he had done it. When she mused over costume choices, he had the seamstress on the phone. It was as if he was there to make certain her ideas got implemented, and unlike Robert's ideas, they seemed to make her even more popular.

Leaning back in the seat, Iris sipped her coffee again, "When we get there, the roadies will unpack, and there's final costume fittings while they're doing that. A rehersal, just to make sure all the sound and lights work, and then tonight we'll play the first concert. Then I guess we're staying in the city a bit. Lionel thinks it's the best place to shoot a video for Angel's Touch. I don't know why, but he says this director has a vision, and I trust Lionel."

Something went odd in her voice for a moment, "He always takes care of us."

The monotone faded and Iris smiled at Mara again, "Maybe we can sneak out and go sightseeing or something, if there's anything to sightsee in this city. The guys go out all the time to bars and stuff. I don't see why we shouldn't enjoy the liberty. I already have half of the next album written."

~~~~~

Lionel Fenix was a handsome young man in his late twenties, barely older than his charge, and powerful. His neatly trimmed and smoothed dark blonde hair touched the collar of his suit, and his bright blue eyes were almost mesmerizing. He had taken his place amongst the elite with a number of underhanded strategies. Blackmail. Debt. Murder. Robert Jackson had to leave because Fenix had hired an underage prostitute to join him in his hotel room and had shown him a fake ID. She had then filmed the whole thing. Fenix had revealed that he now owned that tape, and thus owned Jackson. Jackson had quietly stepped down from management of the world's biggest pop idol, Pandora, and Fenix had taken over.

At that point, he knew he was completely in control of things, the way he always wanted to be. And lovely Iris was just one part of it. He was in the tour bus that she occupied with the violinist, but he was in his private office area, so that he could make phone calls and take care of the Pandora machine. It was indeed a machine, running perfectly with human cogs, replaced ever so easily, as humans were. He straightened the dark blue tie over a button down shirt of paler blue, under a three piece suit of charcoal gray.

After a quick check to make certain the ladies were occupied, he closed his office door and dialed the number he had gotten from a disreputable source, pleased that it rang. Dante's phone would ring before he was able to leave his office, the voice that was on the other side of the answering reply erudite and masculine.

"Mr. Dante, my name is Lionel Fenix, and I manage the assemblage that the public is most aware of by the name of Pandora. I trust that you are aware of who Pandora is?"

He waited for a response before he continued, "I was interested in hiring some local color in the form of extra security, and your name came up. Pandora herself requires personal protection, as this is not exactly Disney World, is it, Mr. Dante? There have also been questionable events in the past that have made such precautions necessary. I am also prepared to make it worth your while. We will be in town this evening, for a rehearsal and then a show, and then for a few weeks shooting a music video and giving another concert before moving on. For this personal service, I am willing to pay you a retainer of a hundred thousand when you arrive at the rehearsal, and an additional four hundred thousand when we leave the city."

Fenix smiled to himself. Half a million dollars. Chump change in the current economy, but it would bring just about anyone normal running.

Dapper Prophet

11,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
When Mara first met Iris, she’d been playing her violin at open mic night down at Custer’s Pub in a small town. They began by striking up some small talk conversation and eventually it led to their friendship, later on a successful partnership. Despite her desire to stay out of the limelight, the popstar “Pandora” never let her feel overwhelmed or overstimulated. If that wasn’t true friendship, she didn’t know what was.

Originally, it was rumoured she played for a popular orchestra a long time ago, but she was mum about it. Gloating wasn’t really her style.

For a moment, a mild sense of paranoia overwhelmed her. What if she didn’t like the set up? What if…it wasn’t enough? Her heart began to pound in her chest, the smile slowly started to fade from her lips before Iris smile brought her back to rationality. Get ahold of yourself. She’s your friend, would you be here right now if it wasn’t for her?

“Really?” Mara offered a small smile, meekly reaching over to tug Iris’ laptop to sit in front of her, she listened to the ensemble playing in the background of her deskptop. Carefully, she slipped the pink headphones over her ears and plugged them in for a moment. Taking them off, she tapped her fingers on the keyboard and nodded. “This is…that’s great. I’m really glad you like it. I…wasn’t so sure when I started sketching the notes at first. I guess…when I am slack about everything else, I’m such a perfectionist with my notes.” She followed this with a moment of silence, her thoughts straying momentarily and she swallowed back her memories.

“Dad was that way too.” Lifting a hand up to her mouth, she suppressed a yawn to hide the obvious discomfort of talking about her father. Her smile lingered a moment longer before she tapped a few keys on the laptop and returned the computer to Iris. Getting back to a bit of business, she reached for the violin she’d brought with her. Patting the case, she listened carefully and nodded in regards to the setup for their recent tour.

“They’re really…they’re really gonna love it, Iris. I mean, they’ll never know what hit them. You know? They expect all of the original routine and then we throw them off and give them a taste of what’s to come in the future.” Lifting the case up, she again gave it another appreciative tap. “…This…this couldn’t have been made possible without you finding me that day.” Again, she gave another far off look, thinking back to her childhood and how far she made it. “I can’t ever thank you enough. For…being both my friend and a great business partner.” She scooted out of her seat to cautiously sit next to the copper haired lass and give her a big hug.

Her sappy moment was briefly cut short though. In the back of her mind, she heard a wispy sound. Briefly glancing at the violin case, she nervously shifted her gaze back to where Lionel Fenix shifted on his feet. The click of the door to his private office made her wary whenever he went off to “discuss business” over the phone with anyone.

The abrupt departure of their original manager, Robert Jackson initially shocked her. Her insides twisted a bit when he announced his retirement and Lionel Fenix took his place. While Mara did not dispute he was as handsome as he was skilled, something didn’t sit right with her about him.

Iris’ comments about him didn’t help quell her nerves either. Pulling away from her friend, Mar held her at arm’s length. Green eyes searched over Iris’ face. The blank stare in her eyes made her stomach churn and worry set in. Whenever Lionel Fenix came up as a topic of discussion, it was like the popstar was under some sort of…spell when she talked about him. It was like…the guy could do no wrong in her eyes? Then why the hell was Robbie Jackson so keen to get the hell out of town right after he ended his management with the band?

Making sure to nod pleasantly to her friend, Mara gave a mischievous glance back towards their manager’s office. “I’m tired of always having to hang out where he tells us all the time, you know.” It was an innocent comment, nothing filled with malice. Well…part of that wasn’t true. She’d get Iris away from him if it meant they didn’t have to deal with his weasel face.

“I bet…whatever function he takes us to, we can…” Leaning in towards Iris, she whispered in her ear. “Sneak out, and maybe hit up some of the local restaurants and bars downtown. I want to find a place that serves…breakfast, all night.” She sounded somewhat embarrassed to say she had a love of waffles at midnight, but who didn’t?

Once more, she felt a tingle in the back of her head and she took another wary glance at the violin case. He’s coming…

Who? He…is coming…

--

A flurry of demon dust blew into his face just as he turned to fire off another shot at one more nasty that dropped from his ceiling. The phone ringing in the process did little to break his concentration. Ice blue eyes shot a glance to the receiver and he banged his fist on the table in an effort to catch it while he fired off another round before he answered the phone. “City Morgue, you kill ‘em. We chill ‘em. Eight Ball speaking.”

Keeping the hammer cocked back on Ivory, he listened carefully into the receiver at the sound of a suave business man’s voice speaking into the line. “Yeah…? This is him. The one and only…” Perking up slightly, he reached over to pull the news article back over towards him. Slowly, he quirked a brow and already got a sense that something seemed fishy about this phone call. Then, he dropped the ball.

His mouth hung open slightly in a mixture of shock and curiosity. “Uh…listen, pal. Maybe you have the wrong “Dante.” He said, reading over the article again. “See my line of work specialized in uh…bounty hunting, not…body guarding.” The picture of the cutesy popstar did catch his eye on the newspaper though. His mouth went slightly dry at the idea of having to take care of some girl that, maybe, might have needed some extra security.

This deal was further sweetened by the offer of half a million dollars. Then again, despite Dante’s desire to stay out of debt, he wasn’t buying it. “You know, guy. I’mma be honest with you,” Shifting so could keep an eye out on his front door; he adjusted the receiver against his ear. “Last time someone offered me an invitation, I uh…got a nasty surprise. Let me get this straight…you find my number in the directory somewhere…” He leaned back so he was lying against his desk. “Think, “Hey this guy’s a bodyguard, he’ll do just fine” and then…offer me a s**t ton of money, beyond my wildest dreams. Tell me, where I missed the catch.”

His mouth twitched at the corners, a mixture of contempt and suspicion. He was eager to take it. “How ‘bout this? I feel like…we should make this official.” Just in case I need to blow your head off, in case this turns out to be some scam. He thought to himself. “Name the place, I’ll come. See, I like parties and invitations. Anonymous deals are a bit…mmm shady to me. So what do you say, Shakespeare? Deal?”

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
For a moment, there was nothing in Iris's violet eyes, but then she came back to herself and smiled, "I'm glad you're happy. I hate to admit it, but I'm so excited about that part of the show. The costume, the effects, it's going to be great."

Iris let the band members wear what they wanted, as long as they kind of went with the theme of the show. The same for Mara. Iris had never told her what to wear. But she took great pride in the costumes she herself got to enjoy, mostly because she loved them. The one for the middle of the show was going to be amazing, she could not wait to wear it. It had taken months to prepare, which was fine because the music took months to prepare. It was all art in her eyes. She had no clue why Mara was staring at her though like she had just said something odd.

Nodding, she leaned on her elbow on the table and thought about it, "I just want to go somewhere without a retinue of bodyguards. Nobody recognizes me without the makeup and the costumes. I don't see why I should have to make such a show out of it, such a fuss. I just want to go out shopping on my own, or out to karaoke or something. That doesn't require a bunch of burly men keeping people away who would never have known who I was unless they were really looking."

The tour bus pulled off the highway and got onto the surface streets, which meant they were close. Iris was glad, she wanted off the bus, though Mara was not at all bad company. Not to mention the bus had a dedicated wi-fi hotspot that only she had the password to, so nobody but her, Mara, and Lionel got to use it. She just wanted to be up and around and moving. Iris was always excited before a show, especially in new places. She had never been to this city before, and she wanted to have another roaring, beautiful concert full of people who loved music as much as she did.

"We'll plan something," Iris said, agreeing with Mara about sneaking out. "Maybe when we're at the hotel. Everyone has their own room but that doesn't mean you can't come visit me in mine."

There was something else to look forward to. The penthouse suite of the hotel where they were staying. She always had it to herself, with everyone else getting their own rooms, and this one had a pool right there in the suite. So if she wanted to go swimming all on her own, she would get to. It also had a balcony with an amazing view of the city. She had looked it up on the laptop while Mara was sleeping and Lionel was busy, as usual. He was always working, but that was the sign of a good manager in her eyes.

~~~~~~

Lionel smirked slightly on his end of the phone, "I assure you, Mr. Dante, you came highly recommended for your skills. And this is not an invitation. This is a job offer. A bona fide job offer. There is indeed a famous young woman who requires extra security, and she requires the type of security you can provide. The money is simply a formality. You do not hire a toddler to guard the crown jewels, do you?"

He listened to Dante try to poke holes in what was, essentially the truth. He did indeed want to pay Dante half a million dollars, though not to protect Iris the way he was thinking. But the demons had to be kept away from the girl and she did far too much when she was alone for her band-mates to watch over her. The men long since disposed of, replaced with his own loyal figurines. They tried, but she seemed to instinctively know that she should not be spending too much time with them.

"Modell Performing Arts Center. We are about to arrive. Security will have your name, they will send you inside to find myself and Pandora."

Reaching up, Lionel straightened his tie, "I trust we will see you soon, Mr. Dante. I would hate for this opportunity to slip through your fingers because you were afraid of an anonymous deal. This is far from anonymous. Pandora is known all over the world, to millions of fans."

He hung up the phone without saying goodbye. If Dante could resist his offer, than he was either more or less of a fool than Fenix had originally thought. But that was for later. Now, he came out of the office, smile on his face as he saw the two young women together, arms around each other's shoulders.

~~~~~~~~

Eventually, the bus came to a stop in front of the Modell Performing Arts Center, then got access and drove around to the back so her tour buses would not be swamped that night. Iris smiled when Lionel came out of his office, looking professional as ever. She had told him once that it was unnecessary for him to wear the suit all the time, but he had objected and she told him he could dress however he wanted. It seemed the suit was however he wanted.

He ushered them both off the bus, when they had everything they needed, and they were let into the back of the performing arts center, which was a beautiful old building and massive inside. There were already teamsters working on changing the stage so it jutted out over the orchestra pit, so she had somewhere to walk during the numbers. It had been Lionel's idea to put her out front and center instead of back on a stage with the rest of the others.

Costumers were pushing in cases, makeup artists were setting up chairs, and Iris found her dressing room, a large room that had a couple of gift baskets inside. The room next to hers had Mara's name on it, and Iris was ready to get down to business. She made sure her friend was settled before she took her tablet and went out to the stage, and emailed everyone the set list for the rehearsal and for the show that night. Waving, she got one of the sound guy's attention, and he brought her the wireless microphone for the night.

The lights went on over the stage, and she was bathed in light for a moment, making her feel like she could float right into the air. The microphone in her hand thumped as it turned on, and she lifted it up so she could speak to the guys in the sound booth behind the balcony in the far back.

"Jimmy? Can you play track seven for me?"

"Sure thing, Iris."

As with all pre-concert rehearsals, the sound guys got a number of pre-recorded back up tracks ready first thing. Because Iris liked to sing once on her own before she began to rehearse with the band. She would put her earplugs in after she sang. The music for track seven began to play, and she tried to imagine the center full of people as she sang with the music, giving the sound techs time to get things started on adjustments. But many of them were surprised that she needed no autotune. Most performers those days did.

Dapper Prophet

11,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Beware…He lies.

The drive on the tours sometimes took its toll on her. She thought she heard voices occasionally, and the dreams did not help her sanity. Gazing at herself in the dressing room mirror, green eyes gazed at her reflection. Unlike Iris, Mara was a bit mousier than the popstar idol. She was built slender, but had a slightly larger bust for a girl her height of 5’2, 5’5 if you added heels.

Liiiiies…

Scrunching up her nose, the few freckles that were on her nose wrinkled together and she glanced warily at the violin case on the mantle. Lionel Fenix was a dishonest man. The moment she met him, a sinking feeling settled in the pit of her stomach. A gut reaction was usually the correct reaction and her father had always taught her: “if it feels wrong it is wrong.” Whenever she was with Iris, she felt like someone was always watching her. Every single move she made was being tracked and documented and she didn’t like it.

The worst part was, she was afraid to tell Iris how she felt about their manager. No matter how many times she opened her mouth to say something about him, her friend got that faraway look in her eyes. Her vision glazed over like she was under some freaky spell and she repeated her assurance like a broken record.

The dreams didn’t help either. They were a mixture of things. Her father and the strange man at the piano in the big house in the country and the vision of two boys play-fighting together. The gaze of pretty blue eyes stared and one of the boys asked her if she wanted to play. There was also something about who got to be the princess in the castle and how Optimus Prime was going to save her while he took on the evil Megatron. Whatever. She wanted to be Starscream anyway.

She stood there for a few moments, making faces at herself in the mirror before even considering the outfit that she would wear for the rehearsal and sound check. Her fingers brushed against the fabric of her outfit. She knew how hard Iris had been working on her costume for the set performance. It had taken months to finish the final details and weeks to finally give it the go ahead for the concert.

Mara’s outfit was a little less flashy than what Iris had in store. Mara had a white dress to fit with the angel theme, with a bit of cup coverage in bust. The girl would look flattering without showing off too much. The gown came to rest just below her kneecaps too, plus she’d be wearing support insoles in her white ballet flats she’d planned to wear, but there was something sickeningly sweet about this whole “heavenly” theme.

She shuddered for a moment. Lionel had something to do with this. She was sure of it and it gave her some cause for concern. Before she had time to start worrying about his plans, a knock at her door was a signal that they would be ready to rehearse in 5 minutes.

Again, she heard the sound of the violin’s warning in her head. Leaning over the case, she flicked the straps open and took the instrument in her hands. It was old but the cherry tint to the mahogany body was still smooth as ever.

Holding it up to her chest, Mara clutched it and inhaled deeply. “…Show time.” ”I guess.”
--

There were only so many words Dante could think of to say to this douche bag over the phone. The only appropriate phrase that came to mind was: “******** you and your fancy suit too.” Yet when he reminded himself of the article, he really couldn’t help but think looking at this might not be a bad idea. The last time he had this much excitement was when he was demon hunting.

The business had gone downhill since the state started rebuilding his side of town. At least the taxpayer money was getting put to good use. He listened to Lionel drone on for a moment longer, but before he could even deny or accept the offer, then the a*****e hung up on him. Listening to the dial tone, he held the receiver away from his face and scowled before setting his phone aside.

He was going to convince himself this wasn’t going to happen. He was not going to play babysitter for some superstar that couldn’t tie her own shoelaces. Okay, maybe she could tie them; he didn’t know that for sure. Pinching the bridge of his nose, Dante hissed through his teeth before reaching over to grab his trench coat off his coat rack and fling it on him. What good was a shirt going to do anyways? He was there for the money, not to look pretty.
So, with that in mind, he made sure to sheath Rebellion on his back and place his guns in their appropriate holsters before heading out towards Upper Yuppie-Ville.

--
The stage was set. The sound was checked. Positioning herself accordingly in the background just to Iris’ left, she held her hand up to her face to shield her vision from the blinding lights. The other members were to Mara’s right, double checking their acoustics. Shifting to ready her effects pedal, she lifted the bow up into the air at the cue and just as she drew it across the strings, the doors into the pulpit were kicked open, practically knocked off their hinges.

A male voice called out loud and clear in a cocky tone, “Am I late to the party already?”

Immediately all productions came to a halt at the silvery haired young man’s entry.

“Excuse me, who the hell are you and why hasn’t security kicked you out yet?” The drummer, David Karoff stood up abruptly from his set. His mouth curling into a snarl, like he knew something was off with Dante from the getgo.

Holding his arms out, the devil hunter smirked. “Well, see. I am the security. I’m a little extra, supposedly. I’m assuming your boss is a guy dressed in an Armani suit and making fancy phone calls to guys like me downtown?”

Lowering her violin, Mara hurried immediately to Iris side. Despite her meek nature, she would do anything to protect Iris if push came to shove. Was this Lionel’s idea of a sick joke? “…He’s um…not wearing a shirt.” She murmured into the popstar’s ear and tensed as the guy came to stand right in front of the two of them, glancing each of them over like they were in a lineup.

“You’re not as flashy as the picture in the paper made you out to be.” He commented to Iris, crossing his arms in front of her. “Prettier too, then again, photoshop’s a shitty invention anyways.” Grinning, he cocked his head to the side at her. “So, you’re the gal I gotta babysit, huh?”

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
Iris had finished warming up just in time for the band and Mara to join her on the stage. She checked with the guitarist, the bassist, the drummer, the keyboard player, making sure they were all ready to go, that they had their in-ear monitors that helped them so they heard their own music. They were also set up to the sound system so they were only on when they were on stage, so back stage they could talk to each other and hear each other. Her own were hooked to the small control box at the small of her back, and draped over her shoulders, not yet in place because she had just been warming up.

Everyone was getting in place, getting tuned up when the doors were kicked open, and a man walked in, a man unlike any she had ever seen before. Iris had been to parties with famous people, had been around the rich and beautiful, male models who graced the covers of magazines and made men and women alike rethink their priorities in life. But this stranger was completely different than any man she had ever seen before. Sapphire eyes that had looked too long at a volcanic fissure, silvery white hair that seemed to suit him better than it should have.

Mara leaned over to whisper in her ear, and Iris came back to reality, noting that yes, he was indeed not wearing a shirt. A long red coat and baggy pants tucked into barely tied boots. Very obvious weapons. She put a hand gently on Mara's arm as he looked them over and glanced out into the stage lights, where Lionel was undoubtedly hanging out. Bringing the microphone up, she paged him.

"Lionel?"

Looking back at the stranger, she shrugged a bit, "You wear a corset and five pounds of makeup and then decide whether you're more comfortable in normal pants or the alternative."

He complimented her, even if it was in a cocky, womanizing tone of voice and she felt her cheeks flush, and felt the instinctive desire to harass him for that. Had she been Pandora at the time, it would not have bothered her. Pandora was a completely different creature, in touch with her feminine wiles and sexuality. Pandora was used to being complimented and hit on. Iris liked to blend into the background.

"So is it laundry day or something? I usually just wear pajamas when I'm doing mine, but I suppose the barbarian look could be in. But I was unaware I needed a babysitter."

The stranger was taller than her, but she was doing her best to stand straight, to be intimidating. It was harder to do without heels on, though she was 5'7" without them. He just made her feel small by being in close proximity to her, and it only made her wonder how Mara felt. There was no more time for snappy banter when Lionel appeared out of the lights and climbed the steps to the stage. He had a tablet in hand, and a bluetooth earpiece in his ear.

"Ah, you must be Mr. Dante," Lionel said, not holding out a hand to him at all. "I see you've made your presence known. And that you've met, though I doubt introductions were made. You've already met Pandora."

Iris cut him off there, "Iris. My real name is Iris. Who in the world would name their kid Pandora? It's kind of like naming your kid Dante or something."

A slight smile played at Lionel's lips, "Iris is your main charge. Of course if something happens and she is not in immediate danger, I expect you to assist the rest of the security team."

"Lionel...is this really necessary?" she asked, frowning a little at the amount of precautions being taken. It was a concert, just like any other.

He smiled and put a hand on her shoulder, "I know you'd like to think that the problems have been random occurrences, but I'm paid to make sure that they don't become clandestine occurrences. Mr. Dante comes very highly recommended."

"With or without a shirt?" she asked, tone saucy, before she turned and put her ear monitors in.

Iris smiled at Mara a little, and checked her power box to make sure the monitors were on. Lionel had a pristine white envelope with a check inside for a hundred thousand dollars in it, made out to Dante. He held it back though, nodding to the people on stage.

"Pandora's back up band consists of David on drums, Mark on guitar, Steve on keyboard, Jeff on bass, and the two back up singers, Amy and Julie. And of course, Mara on violin. But we're interrupting rehearsal. Please vacate the stage with me," he said, walking down the steps into the arena proper. When the two men had left the stage, the band members put their ear monitors in and made sure they were on, while Iris stepped to the center. A spotlight illuminated her, and she began the first song of the set that began with a few bars of just the violin and her own voice. But then in came Mark with his fingers making the guitar sing and David pounding on the drums and the sound was far more metal than it was pop.

Lionel waited for them to begin, and when he spoke to Dante again, it was in a low tone of voice though it would be surprisingly audible, "All of them are replaceable except for Pandora. If sacrifices must be made, let it be one of the replaceable members. Not her. People come to see her, not the back up band."

And even without costumes or fancy lights, it was easy to hear why. Iris had a beautiful voice, and she put everything she had into her songs, coming to life as she sang, the back up singers chiming in on occasion, the violin sliding up and down the notes like silk over curves. She danced as she saw fit, there were no choreographed parts to the show, really. Not while she was singing anyway. That was just pure Iris as she got the crowd into the music with her.

"So, Mr. Dante, are you on the payroll?"

Dapper Prophet

11,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
A concert was completely out of Dante’s element. While he could wrap his head around the idea of screaming fans and swooning girls, he didn’t expect this fancy performance hall. It was like you paid a lot of money to go to a fancy, boring, classical show and nobody really gave a s**t about the music. That was if you didn’t include those artsy types that found it beautiful. Hey, music was music, but this…this place was more for people in suits, evening gowns, and ties.

The whole job offer stunk. There was definitely something wrong with this picture the moment he walked into the pulpit. The girl, paging her manager, obviously was the one in need of “protection” from…whatever. It seemed to him like he was there to just…babysit so the manager didn’t have to do it himself. He noted the darker haired girl instinctively stepped beside the pop star, almost protectively. Seemingly, she didn’t look like a threat and she had the right reaction when it came to a strange situation. Dante wasn’t so sure of the other band members as they were giving him looks that were predatory in nature, they were tense and uncertain about his presence. None of them seemed concerned with Iris’ safety though, unlike the violinist.

The corner of his mouth twitched in annoyance at Iris making some crack about his name. “You know how your mom liked flowers when she named you? Well, mine apparently liked poetry. So, there ya go, sweetheart.” Clicking his tongue, he scoffed and turned his head from her and briefly shot a glance at Mara fidgeting at her side. “Next thing I know you’re gonna tell me the rest of your band is named after some greek dieties. Pandora? Athena? Zeus? Some other bullshit I don’t know about?”

The comment about his choice of clothing didn’t go without notice. He cocked his head to the side and looked down at what he was wearing, or lack of what he didn’t have on his body. A smirk twitched at the corners of his mouth, but before he could shoot any return fire his “employer” approached with a less than formal greeting. The smile faded from his lips and he positioned himself so he stood with his arms crossed made his stance slightly tense. “You know, I don’t get the whole: “Thus guy comes highly recommended” thing a lot. Maybe you can tell me who the folks are saying all this s**t ‘bout me. Now, I like the attention. I really do, but…you might have to excuse me. I’m not sure if I should trust this without you namin’ names first.”

He rocked back and forth on his heels for a moment, patiently nodding his head in response to Lionel before he set his sights on Iris again. His smile didn’t return but he kept gazing at her, trying to figure out the issue at hand. Though, he did take the dirty laundry comment lightly. “I don’t dress like this for just anyone now,” He pointed to his abs. “I just do it for the ladies…I mean, if shirts is more you’re thing, I’ll be happy to put one on for you, long as you don’t mind it being a little tight fitted. I tend to only put ‘em on if I’m cold.” Running a hand through his hair, he shot another glance back at Iris before winking. “We’ll uh, get better acquainted later, babe.”

Shoving his hands into his pockets, he rolled his shoulders a bit. Lionel’s droning drove him to boredom already and the guy hadn’t even handed him the check yet. “Hmm…” He nodded his head in understanding, scratching the top of his scalp. “Yeah, I gotcha. Protect Diva and her Gal pal. Everyone else is pretty much SOL, right?” Stretching a bit, Dante stared at the white envelope tucked carefully under Lionel’s arm while he listened to Iris, aka Pandora, singing in the background. The music didn’t have a bad sound to it, given the rock metal was a different effect. “Sure, sure. I’ll be on the payroll, but you gotta answer some questions for me.” Shifting his stance, he turned to look back at the girls and Mara lifting up her violin to play. “Say, these girls wanna go out and about, I guess I gotta follow them everywhere and party hard with ‘em; if that’s their style.”

Shoving his hands into his pockets, Dante grumbled something incoherent before nodding back to Iris. “Also, you know. If she’s so world famous, how come everyone and their mother isn’t lining up outside this place now to get in and see her? It seems to me like she doesn’t need protection from the fans but something else.” Flexing a bit, he made sure he’d be in quick reach of his guns. Lowering his tone, he cleared his throat. “So…what kinds of recommendations were given about me exactly? You know, the kind of stuff I do…costs more than just what you want to give me. I cost the city some damages alone a few years ago, I’m kind of its b***h right now.”

--

Standing behind Iris, Mara tried to hold in a snort that escaped from her. “Is he for real?” She whispered, trying to hold back her giggles. They soon dissipated as Lionel ushered him away from the stage. “He seems to be in a hurry to fix this…bodyguard business up, I hope he knows what he’s doing, that guy…he was all over the place. Guns, a sword? He looked like…he looked like something straight out of a…a convention.” Yet, his eyes…the ice blue colour had reminded her vaguely of the boys in her dreams.

Shaking off the feeling, Mara decided to go back to working on the set with Iris. Taking up the violin, she shifted to be ready for the effects pedal. Then when her routine came up, she switched it slightly to change for one of the newer songs they were going to transition into.

The moment she struck the chords, her rhythm became faster, more precise. Her brow furrowed, a sheen of sweat formed on her forehead. The next thing she knew, she started to dance to her own violin of her own accord and out of the corner of her eye she could see David stop what he was doing and visibly flinch at each high note she hit with the instrument. His fingers came to pinch the bridge of his nose before they traveled up the center of his forehead. Was he...in pain?

Warmth spread through her as she continued to stroke the strings of the violin. Her heart began to beat, faster, and faster until finally she had to stop before it took over her completely and she collapsed into a sitting position on the floor of the stage.

Her head spun and in the back of her mind she heard the voice again: 'He's coming...' Who? Who was coming? What was going on?

A collective turn of heads from the backup members caused some alarm. Steve's shout was muffled to her hearing. It was a mixture between shock and...something else. Fear?

Slowly Mara came to her senses enough to hear Mark blurt out from his guitar station: “What the ******** was that?!”

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
"Not to sound cold, but Iris is the talent. The fans don't come to see Mara. Should you have to make the choice, Iris is the one to save."

Lionel glanced at his tablet, "We first contacted Mr. Enzo Ferino about you, and he gave us a woman by the name of Lady, both of whom gave you glowing recommendations. Or what could consist of glowing recommendations in this business. I looked for another man mentioned, a Mr. Vergil, but he could not be found for comment. I had to go with what I could glean from your current reputation. If money is the issue, I suppose I can off you more. Would twenty times the original offer be enough?"

He opened a different application on the table, "I'll wire the two million retainer into your account, the additional eight coming after we're ready to leave the city. And there are no people here because we take precautions against that. There have been incidents before, incidents that have resulted in the injury of the fans and the injury of the employees. Rumors have been spreading for weeks as to which hotel she is staying at, and we have confirmation that there are fans around every single one of those hotels. We are actually staying at the Lindervale Heights."

The manager looked Dante over for a moment, "I am certain it is no surprise to you that the incidents that have involved Iris have been attacks on her person by figures that were...less than human. They have been in random places, and at random times, but she has been in danger because of these creatures more than a few times. She is convinced it is Mara whom they are after, and does not see the danger that she is in. But she needs the kind of protection you can provide, especially in this city. I don't think I need to explain why I would feel that way."

His attention turned back to the stage, "She's who they come to see, and this arena will be full tonight. It's a sold out show. Why the monsters would be after her? I have no idea. As far as I know, she's a normal young woman with a beautiful voice. That is why she's famous."

~~~~

On stage, Iris was more than having fun. It was her favorite thing to do, sing, to be on stage, to feel the rush of the crowd because they loved her music and they loved her. She could admit though, it had been lonely for a while until Mara came to play with them as well. But now it was wonderful to be on the road, not having her family any more, and doing what she loved doing the best. She was so busy with the music that she did not notice there was a problem until the music stopped. Iris turned around and saw Mara sitting on the stage.

"Mara!"

Dropping the microphone to the chagrin of the sound technicians, she ran to Mara's side, kneeling down next to her. With near-reverent hands, she gently took the violin from her and set it aside, knowing how much it meant to her. She then took her hand gently, looking at her face, checking her eyes.

"Are you okay?"

The members of the band were putting their instruments aside as well, and Steve wandered out from behind the keyboard with a frown, "I'm feeling weird too. Headache or something. I think it's from the construction fumes."

The other members agreed, and Iris turned to look out into the audience, "Lionel?"

Lionel left Dante to go to the stage and frowned as he saw Mara, "Oh dear. Do we need an ambulance?"

"I think we should just get her back to the tour bus so she can lie down for a while," Iris said. "The sound guys always get it all fixed up in the first song anyway. We'll be fine for tonight."

She put an arm around Mara, "Come on, you need to lie down with a cold compress. Everyone else go ahead and go back to your bus or your dressing rooms. We're done until tonight."

Lionel frowned, but nodded, "As long as she's able to play this evening."

Dapper Prophet

11,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
Should you have to make a choice, Iris is the one to save.

In that moment, he could have wrung Lionel Fenix up by his neck and snapped him in two places. Holding back a bit, the corner of Dante’s mouth twitched slightly in contempt. His eyes narrowed for a moment before he once more rolled his shoulders, fingers tapping against Ebony for a moment.

His gut churned and he was vaguely reminded of his mother…and Vergil. How she saved them both but paid for their lives with hers. He blinked in response to Lionel’s job specific. “No offense, but I doubt your star will want anything bad to happen to her uh, gal pal.” The demon hunter shifted on his heel and nodded back in the direction of the stage. The girls would have probably rather died than be without each other. Dante supposed that was how friendships worked in this day and age. “I’ll take my chances. See, my line of work dictates that I save as many people as I can. The back-up crew? Sure. You want them to be SOL, I’ll do it but I think the idea is to keep your star as…uh, comfortable as possible. Think that should include people important to her too.”

“********’ Enzo…” Dante muttered, running a hand over his face. Leave it to his sleazy, job-finding, partner to recommend him for some shady set up. I’m gonna kick your a** you fat fu- He snapped out of his thoughts at the mention of Vergil, though.

An unsettling silence followed afterwards, to which he rested his arms at his side. “Yeah, Vergil’s dead.” He said it as cooly as possibly, without much emotion to it. It had been 2 years since Temen-ni-gru and there was still no sign of him. There were only two possibilities. One; his brother was content to reside in the Demon Realm and kick a**. Then there was option two; his twin was dead and there was nothing left to be said in regards to him. “So, if you couldn’t get ahold of him, that’s probably the reason why.”

They made their rounds in the orchestra pit, walking together while Dante listened to Lionel drone on about safety issues involving the fans before they finally got to the problem: demons. “You know, you could have just said you needed her protected from demons instead of just led me on a wild goose chase wondering why the hell a popstar needs a demon-hunter as a babysitter.” Shoving his hands into his pockets, his mouth hung open slightly as if to say something before silence took over him.

He was stunned momentarily, unable to form coherent words. Finally, he was able to blurt it out in the open. “Twenty TIMES?” What was that? Over twenty million dollars? Oh, this was too good to be true.

The commotion on stage snapped him out of his stupor for the money. He made a face at Lionel before gesturing to the stage. “Save only Iris, huh?” He asked, noting how much attention the popstar lavished on her. He also took note of how odd it was that only Iris rushed to her aid. The rest of this group all looked rather annoyed in some discomfort. Come to think of it, his own head did hurt a little bit, but he mostly attributed that to the sound of Lionel’s voice.

“So…” Clasping his hands together, he watched Iris help Mara to her feet and lead her outside. “When can I start?” Giving this suited p***k the best grin her could muster, Dante cracked his knuckles. “I mean, when is it uh, most convenient for me to…begin?”
--
She couldn’t see straight when she was helped to her feet. The glazed over look in her eyes faded away as Iris stripped the violin from her fingers. A low growl followed from the instrument but quickly faded afterwards. “I’m fine…” Mara murmured softly, pinching the bridge of her nose. “Really,” she stumbled a bit but held onto her friend as she was helped to her feet. “Iris, I’m…fine.” She stopped in her tracks, making a waving motion for the violin. “Oh, Helena. I can’t leave her.”

Keeping a firm grip on Iris’ shoulder, she caught Lionel’s comment as they were exiting and she tightened her fingers into the fabric of her friend’s sleeve. A frown creased onto her lips and she turned to smile politely at him. “I’ll be able to play,” but she wouldn’t do it for him. Mara would do it for Iris. “no matter the cost of my health. The show will go on, Mr. Fenix.”

Quirking a brow curiously, Dante mouthed the name of the instrument on his lips. “Hey, princess,” He approached the edge of the stage as Iris escorted Mara off set “Let me know what kind of privacy you need with me as your babysitter. I’m pretty flexible.” He winked after her.

Mara’s hand reached out to shoo him off but he stepped back from her grasp as the girls disappeared.

No sooner had Steve bent to pick up the instrument, the demon hunter unsheathed his sword and batted the piece of equipment in his direction. A gloved hand reached down to grasp its neck in hand before he tucked it under his arm. “Like I said,” He glanced down at the violin under his arm, certain he heard a faint hiss surface from it. “When can I start?”

--

“Can...you believe that guy?” Mara grumbled, regaining her footing once they were outside in the cool air. “Lionel…wants to hire him as your body guard?” Giving a breathy scoff, she gave a gently push at Iris’ arm. “I…I can walk now, I think. Thank you, really.” She eased herself to sit on a little stone pillar though, and she made a face. “This…this is a concert, not a…a convention or…RenFest where…where you dress up and…wave swords around like-“ Her eyes widened a bit as she thought back to her dream. “…The Dark Knight.” She murmured to herself.

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
Lionel was perpetually cool and calm as Dante absorbed that offer, though he paid very little attention to Iris and Mara. If Mara was getting sick, all the better. He could separate the two of them then, and look completely involved and concerned when Mara had to go off to get better. Isolating Iris would be much simpler if Mara did his job for him. He moved along the orchestra pit with Dante, letting him act as if he had been wasting his time.

"I imagined you would have been clever enough to realize that if I needed a bodyguard to keep away regular people, I would have looked elsewhere. It would be a waste to spend money on a demon slayer when there were no demons to slay, Mr. Dante."

He looked at the tablet in his hands again, transferring the money into Dante's account, "You are already on the clock, Mr. Dante."

Whatever else he was going to say was cut off by Dante approaching Iris and she had nothing for him but a glare. She loathed being called things like princess when she was just a normal person. The nice things she had, she worked for, and earned by touring, writing her own songs, rehearsing, all of the things that people ignored when it came to being a professional pop idol. At first look, her life probably seemed easy. Nobody knew about the record company trying to make sure she had no rights to her own songs or the people who wanted to be close to her just because she was famous. Nobody cared that she could be in a room full of people who knew her name and that she could be so lonely she could break down into tears if it would not ruin her perfect idol makeup.

"If I can see you, you're too close," Iris responded coldly. She then helped Mara out of the arena and outside at the back, where nobody had caught sight of the tour buses yet.

Inside, Lionel glanced up as Dante kept Steve from picking up the violin and went back to his work on the tablet, "As I said, you're already on the clock, Mr. Dante. And while Iris may not want you to be close, that is your job. She will get over her irritation with you."

Without a word, he dismissed Dante by turning away from him and turning on the Bluetooth earpiece in his right ear, starting in on a conversation. Before he disappeared all together, he shook his head at Steve and the rest of the band. They would be on edge, he recognized that with the demon slayer around, but it was part of the game. The demonic band members went back to readying their instruments and then headed out to their tour buses when they had set everything up. Lionel frowned as he saw something flickering in the shadows in his peripheral vision. Walking over, he leaned against the wall, carefully turning off his Bluetooth earpiece.

"You are not welcome here."

"We smell the angel blood. We want the angel blood."

"She is not for you. The son of Sparda guards her."

There was a hiss in the shadows, "Spardaaaa...."

"Indeed," Lionel replied. "Vacate these premises."

The shadows oozed away and he was back to work without skipping a beat. Dante had already come in handy and he had not even been working for him for five minutes. He went back to work, planning the show. It would be the final show they did when his plan came to fruition. But for now, it was just going to be a normal show, just to make Iris feel good, to keep her happy and ignorant.

~~~~~~~~

Outside, Iris helped Mara sit down and frowned, "Ignore him."

She wanted to ignore him. Iris wanted to completely forget about beautiful blue eyes and the undeniable fact that what was under that red coat was pleasing to look at. She also wanted to know what in the world was wrong with her. She had seen attractive men before. Dante was no different. In fact, he was more arrogant and had less to offer in her opinion. Why in the world did he bother her then? Iris tried to pretend that she was not two seconds away from blushing and just concentrated on Mara.

"Lionel knows what he's doing. If he thinks it's best, then I'm going to trust him."

Iris's eyes lost their alive look for the moment, "He always wants what's best for us. I trust him."

She came back to herself quickly though, and she sat down on the ground near the pillar where Mara was sitting, looking up at her, "If you're not feeling well, I want you to rest. We can use the recordings for the violin parts tonight. I can get someone to take you to the hotel and you can get a really good night's rest if you need it. The next few weeks making this video are going to be gruelling. I don't want you to overwork yourself."

Iris slipped off her glasses and rubbed her eyes gently. She could use a nap herself, but they only had a couple of hours before she had to go get into makeup and costume and get into the Pandora mindset. But if Mara was willing to go into the tour bus and sleep, Iris would join her.

Dapper Prophet

11,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
“Ignore what? The fact he’s a Calvin Klein model mixed with a thug?” A smirk touched the corners of her mouth but it faded. “You were pretty content to keep your eyes on him.” It was a light teasing at best, but Mara wasn’t really being serious.

The dizzy feeling in her head soon faded away into nothing. Something had winded her. Whether it was the traveling or the violin, Mara would not be outdone by this brief setback. “You want wat is best for me, I know…but I can do this. I…I have suffered worse than just fainting.” Her teeth gritted together when she heard Iris’ familiar monotone. He always wants what’s best for us. I trust him.

She had to fight back how much she wanted to tell her friend how she really felt about Lionel Fenix. No matter what though, she would probably receive the same response and it frustrated her to the point where she wanted to cry. She was at her wits end; there was no way of helping Iris without having someone to listen to her.

Composing herself quickly, Mara shook her head. “I just had a moment where I felt faint.” There was no need to alarm Iris. “You’re already under enough pressure, from Lionel and the record company to get this tour over and done with so we can release the next album.” There was a solemn silence before she lifted her head up and offered the popstar a weary smile. “You know, I didn’t join the band to become famous, nor to…get my own music out there. I did it because of you and how much life my music brought to you.” She reached over to take Iris’ hand. “You came out of nowhere and you were so kind to me when I felt like…I had no one.”

Her eyes fluttered closed and she squeezed Iris’ hand a little harder before letting go. “I’m gonna be fine, I can handle this. Tomorrow, we’re going to nail this concert, I’m going to be on that stage by your side.” Mara would have to be ready. She had to protect Iris. The violin seemed to do the job so far, but today…it proved one thing: the others didn’t like it. It had taken some time to perfect, but the higher notes the violin hit and the faster she played, they all seemed to want to stop and check the sound.

Maybe old Helena was finally getting to her and sapping her strength in order for it to work. I wonder if this is how dad felt after using it. Then again, her father was never really normal in terms of other dads. Perking up, she looked around in alarm. “Oh my god, where is it?” She asked, almost frantically. Her soft wispy voice became higher in pitched, slightly squeaky. “Where’s Helena?” Alarm laced her tone before she was caught off guard by the sound of someone whistling.

The back doors to the stage were kicked open and Dante leaned against the railing staring at the two gals with a small smile. “Hey.” He greeted them, strolling down the steps like this was just another walk in the park. Mara’s violin was tucked safely under his arm as he approached the two. “Look, I’m not so fond of this whole…shindig as much as you are.” He began, shoving his hands into his pockets and looking between the two girls.

He kept a safe distance so as not to appear more threatening than he already was with his size, attitude, and weapons. “I feel like we got off on the wrong foot. So, since I’m gonna be uh, babysitting you and trying to keep you out of trouble. I figure I’d make a peace offering to you ladies. Hm?” Carefully, he reached beneath his arm and took the violin from his bicep and held it out to Mara and Iris. “Truce?” He asked, smiling pleasantly at them. “I’m not much of a guy for…playing “go-fer” for some douchebag in a suit, so maybe we can get better acquainted.”

Warily, Mara glanced at Iris and then back at Dante as she stared at her violin being offered towards her. The palm of his hand extended with the instrument sitting upright, flat. “Let me start this off again. I’m Dante. I’m your bodyguard. Nice to meet ya.” He grinned.

Making a face, Mara wasn’t sure what to make of him. It was hard to get a good read on him because guys like him were known for one thing. They were assholes; however he was an unbiased source and an outside one at that. She didn’t know him though, but he was here and…could he really be any worse than Lionel Fenix? Obviously this guy wasn’t as much of a d**k if he came out to kind of make peace.

“…Mara Wild.” The violinist introduced herself awkwardly, shifting beside Iris and nodding towards her friend and cautiously reached out for her instrument before drawing back slightly. “…you’re not going…play keep away like a jerk, are you?”

He tilted his head to the side and moved so he extended the violin to Iris. “I dunno…Might. I mean, if Iris doesn’t like playin’ along.” He winked at her before quitting while he was ahead. “It’s a joke.” He handed the violin to the popstar. “Relax. I’m not here to uh, ruin your moment of friendship with each other. Not so sure if I want to hang out in there with tall, pale, and business man back inside.” Crossing his arms, he leaned his back up against one of the support beams under the valet parking at the concert hall. “You know, your music is all over the world but I gotta say I never listened to it til uh, back there.” He nodded inside the arts center. “I’m more of an old fashioned rock and roll guy myself, but your sound is different.”

Different. Great, Dante. Let’s insult the multimillion-dollar pop idol. He thought to himself. “…That guy ever let you girls off the leash or something? You look like he won’t let you out of his sight-“

“Iris.” Mara interjected quickly. When she was concerned, she spoke a little louder than normally. “Lionel…he’s not too fond of Iris straying very far. He lets the others out and about but…if Iris doesn’t go then I don’t either. Right?” Pursing her lips, she elbowed her friend. Maybe…maybe this was their chance to get out and away for a short period. If it meant keeping her friend away from their manager, she would trust Dante in a heartbeat. At least, she thought she did.

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
"Yeah, because I thought he might knife me," Iris said, sticking out her tongue at her friend.

She frowned, "Mara...you were the first friend I really had after all of this happened. You know that everyone else that wanted to be near me was just near me because I was rich and famous. Most of the time, you're the only person who treats me like a person and not a doll to be pampered and ignored by turns. Of course I'm going to worry about you and be nice to you. You're my closest friend, and my only family."

It was true. Her father had died when she was three, a police officer attacked on his beat by a group of thugs. He never had a chance to call for help or back up. Her mother had died when a tumor began growing in her medulla oblongata, and she lost all control of her body before she died in a coma in the hospital. Left with hospital bills and not much of a future, Iris had taken a job in a piano bar, playing piano and singing on occasions. It was there that she was scouted by an A&R man from her record company, and he had asked her to come in and mix the kind of music she wanted to make.

Apparently it was the first time that anyone at the company had heard that kind of music before, and they were all excited. The next thing she knew, she was being given contracts to sign and offers being made and money dropped into her bank account. The medical bills disappeared immediately. Her mother's grave finally had a beautiful headstone. And Iris had found herself in the center of the music world, with a new personality that she could use to make things easier on the modest girl when they told her she needed to be sexier, hotter.

"The show can be less than perfect. But I want you to take a nap in the bus before the show. I'll come in and take one too. Then it's not a spooky tour bus and you're inside alone, right? Just let me tell-"

Iris did not get a chance to tell someone where they were going to be because Dante kicked the door open and came outside. Iris immediately frowned, putting her glasses back on, if not because he had Mara's violin under his arm, but just because he was there. He had already rubbed her the wrong way, and good looks would do nothing to change that. She stood up and crossed her arms over her stomach, leaning against one of the pillars outside the arena, so that she could frown at him at his own level, even if he was taller than her.

"You might start by not calling it babysitting. It's demeaning to both of us."

She hesitated for a moment, then nodded to him, "Iris Weatherby. I'm only Pandora when I'm in the costumes, so don't use that name unless I'm actually her for the time being. It's kind of like having multiple personalities but I get to choose when she comes out."

When he called her music different, a smile almost came to her lips. It must have been hard for Dante to be that diplomatic about it. Luckily, she was past the stage when something like that would hurt her feelings. Growing a thick skin had been the first thing that success had helped her with. Not everyone was going to like her music. That was okay, everyone was allowed to like what they liked. She was not going to be made or broken by one guy not liking it.

"Thanks," she said, obviously amused. "You're different too."

Glancing at Mara, she frowned as they talked about Lionel like he was her keeper and not her manager. Like usual, she was the first to jump in and defend him, "Lionel is just being protective. There have been some problems recently."

As usual, when any questioning of Lionel's methods came up, she zoned out for a moment, "He just wants what's best for us. I trust him."

Iris came out of it soon enough, and she took her glasses off again, rubbing her eyes, "Mara, I think we should both take a break, maybe lie down in the tour bus for a while. Mr. Dante, if you insist on doing this thing, then I suppose you should come into the tour bus with us. That one is for the back up band, this one Mara and I share, and Lionel rides along with us. There's a third one for the roadies and the rest of the people who tour with us."

She put a gently hand on Mara's shoulder and walked her over to the tour bus and used her key to open it up and let them inside. Inside the tour bus, it was cool and climate controlled. Iris wanted to lie down, but she supposed she would have to see to Dante first. She thought she was the one that was being taken care of, not the other way around. Either way, she nodded to the fridge, opening it up and taking out a bottle of water and cracking it open, sipping from it.

"Have what you want out of the fridge. Touch the Dove ice cream bars in the freezer at your own peril."

Glancing at her watch, which had an adorable rabbit on it, she looked up, "It's five hours until the show. I need to go into silence mode. I won't be talking because the shows put a strain on my voice. Any other questions that you have at the moment? If you think of anything, write it down, I'll answer after the show."

Dapper Prophet

11,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
 ’He just wants what’s best for us. I trust him.’ The drone of her voice had him taken aback. The saucy tone was replaced with something far more…robotic. Was it just him?

No. It couldn’t have been his judgment. The look on Mara’s weary face told him enough. Something was definitely wrong here. Reaching forward, he waved his hand in front of Iris face but got no reaction. Then she behaved like everything was totally normal. Maybe it was best he stick around if this s**t was for real. 10 million dollars was a lot of money after all.

Thinking it was probably best to remedy what he said; Dante followed the girls onto the tour bus. “No, I meant…that your music was different in a good way. It’s catchy, gets your blood pumping.” He cocked a brow at her, taking some pride at her comment, but also a small sense of annoyance. He was reminded that he was the blood of Sparda and it hadn’t always been a good thing. “It’s all right, I like being that way.” It was a partial lie at best. Most days he didn’t think he’d give anything to be normal, but there were those brief fleeting moments he wished for some normalcy. Maybe mom might be alive. Whatever. There was no sense in dwelling on the past. He had to move forward.

This tour bus probably cost more than what Lionel was paying him. Judging by how big it was and the commodities it came with, it wasn’t surprising to see the 6’3 man in an awkward position. He stood in a less confident stance and he turned like he was somewhat concerned he’d break something and have to ******** pay for it.

He lazily ran his fingers through his hair, noting he’d have to get it trimmed again. Maybe go for a new look. Ha. Ha…

Pushing back his coat a bit, he leaned a bit more confidently in her direction. He slouched a bit, but rested his elbow up against the cupboard over her head. “Look, I’m getting paid a lot to take care of your safety, ba-“ He was ready to point a finger at her, and start a little back talk bit he stilled his cocky attitude and cleared his throat. “Iris.” He pointed out to her. “So, whether you like it or not…we’re kinda stuck with my job predicament, and I’m gonna do it to the best of my ability.”

Her mild threat about the ice cream bars wasn’t taken to heart though. “Haha. That’s cute.” He chuckled, but his grin faded the moment he saw that Mara was slowly shaking her head at him like it wasn’t a joke. “Heh…heh.” He gave an awkward chuckle before jabbing his thumb in the direction of the fridge. “…You’re serious aren’t you?”

She was probably less than pleased at his inquiry so in return, he shrugged his shoulders. “Fine. Ice cream is off limits. I gotcha, but I’m more of a pizza man myself. Look, if you’re in town I could probably direct you to some pretty good joints it you get sick of all the rich food, Fenix is probably shelling out for you. He’s paying me…an a** ton of money, the least I can do it…you know, be on my best behaviour and be nice to you.”

Rolling her eyes, Mara tilted her head back against the sofa and rested her hand against her head. “Be nice about what?” She muttered, hoping only Iris heard her.

Briefly, his blue-eyed gaze followed Mara’s fleeting form as she disappeared towards her little bedroom in the back. Opening his mouth, he was about to say something when all chance at conversation with Iris was cut short. She had more important things to do than talk to a thug like him. Resting Your voice? You sound fine, Miss High and Mighty. He bit back the urge to insult her, given it probably wouldn’t do him any good. Instead, Dante offered her a sweet smile and crossed his arms. “Just one more thing then I’ll shut up.” He assured her. “Did you like what you saw?” He smirked and glanced down at his shirtless state.

--

The hum of the sound sets vibrated beneath his feet. The chant of the crowd beyond the stage thundered in the distance. Keeping his guard up backstage, he watched the band members finish the last minute details on the performance.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw Mara looking over Iris' outfit and brushing out her skirts from any lint or stray tagalongs. His gut told him there was more to this little show than just a popstar in an angel outfit. He couldn't deny that she did look kind of cute though. "The irony of a devil this close to an angel. Ain't that some s**t..." He uttered to himself and gave a friwndly wave towards Mara, who frowned in his direction.

"You have to wonder..." The violinist murmured in her own outfit. It was was a nice compliment to Iris and offered some subtleties in terms of fashion statements. "If he's here for more than just the money though. The last few shows...all of these weird setbacks have been occurring. I have to wonder if Lionel hired him for more than just... being all bodyguard. He's heavily armed, carries a sword around..." A lump formed in her throat and Mara lifted her head up from dusting Iris' skirts.

"...Should I be worried about you?" She gave her friend a tired smile. "Because, being the biggest name in music right now, I feel like...I could be the better bodyguard." She laughed and tapped her violin in her hand. "Look," Taking Iris' hand in her own she looked back over towards the stage. "Let's have fun, like we always do." Nodding her head up and down she exhaled a shaky breath. "It's gonna be a great show."

Dante's footsteps thudded in the distance and he was standing behind the violinist, towering over her. "So, is this what you turn into at night when you gotta rest your voice? You go from pretty girl to angel in just a few hours. That's a hell of a transformation process."

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
"If this is your best behavior, I'd hate to see misbehaving," Iris said with a slight smirk.

She held in a laugh as Mara went past her to her bedroom on the bus, and she was left alone with Dante. Being alone with him left Iris suddenly aware of how much space he filled in the huge tour bus, despite it being a large vehicle. Sipping her water again, she put one arm across her stomach, holding the opposite arm at the elbow, her bottle of water hanging in her hand next to her leg.

"Mara and I go out where we like. I'm not a child, and I'm not some kind of prisoner, despite what it looks like. Just because he's concerned about where I am doesn't mean anything. I would be concerned too if my bread and butter was going out alone in this kind of city."

Iris let him ask his final question, and when she realized what he was asking, she felt her cheeks burning red and she immediately turned away from him, "Not at all."

The word liar felt like it was following her back to the larger bedroom in the tour bus, which belonged to her. But she was not going to let Dante harass her if she had somewhere to run. Closing the door on her room, she flopped onto the bed with its adorable pink, purple, and white bedspread with rabbits on it. In fact everything in the room had bunnies on it, because she loved rabbits. Iris picked up an adorable stuffed rabbit and held it to her chest as she lied down and did her best not to think of Dante and his washboard stomach or his muscled chest. It was hard.

She did eventually get some sleep, and when her phone alarm went off, she rubbed her eyes and downed the last of her water before getting up. She knocked on Mara's door, and they headed into the arena, to their respective dressing rooms. Iris slipped into her own where her hair and make up artists were waiting, and she would not emerge until almost four hours later. The opening act was playing on stage as she was finishing getting ready, and when she emerged, she was no longer Iris. She was definitely the entity known as Pandora.

Her long hair, already part blue, was mixed with strands of green and purple and curled in long, individual curls, all of which were pinned back and cascaded down the back of her neck in a waterfall of color. She was made up, so that all bare flesh sparkled with green and purple in the light, because it matched her peacock themed outfit. A bronze bustier that tied up the front, falling to a short tutu skirt of peacock feathers over green, purple, and bronze layers of tull. Tall boots in those same colors, and a jacket that fastened around her throat, cut away around her outfit, and had a long train, embroidered with peacock feathers at the end finished the outfit. Tall feathers sprouted from her hair, and a pair of small wings were on her back, made of the peacock feathers.

When she came out and found Mara, she smiled and came over to her, approving of her own costume, though nobody dressed up the same as she did. Pandora smiled at the remark and laughed softly, "You are to be as safe as me. Not trying to protect me, Mara. But it's going to be an amazing show, and they won't know what's coming."

Dante arrived, and unlike before, this was a different creature. Pandora was easily able to look this devil boy in the eye, amused when before she would have been embarrassed to hear him talk the way he was. She shrugged her shoulders, checking her ear pieces to make sure they would be mostly hidden by her hair, and she made the effort to keep him from stepping on the train of her long coat.

"What can I say? Being in bed with me is transcendent."

"Ms. Pandora, Ms. Wild, two minutes!" someone called from across the backstage.

The music from the back up band had faded, and it was time to get into place. Pandora got onto the stage and took her microphone, studded with the same color crystals as were on her clothing, and got into position, the house lights down, the stage lights down. The first light spotlit her, and the crowd went insane, but she did not move until the other lights came up, and the music began. Then, it was nothing but production, a stage show, and hers were known for being spectacular. The crowd of thousands were screaming, singing along, and the ones near the front went insane when she came out onto the long part of the stage to sing.

When the first third was over, her music videos were played on the screens on stage as she went to get changed. The second outfit was beautiful, if not as colorful as the first. A white corset made of white feathers, with little crystals all over it to catch the light, and a fluffy tutu skirt of white tulle with silver feathers embroidered on the layers. Tall white boots with feathers along the edges, tickling her knees, and her long hair had been cleaned, and was now down around her shoulders, crystals woven into a hair band made of her own braided hair. Her skin had been given a silvery shimmer this time, and the makeup, while wild and fashionable, was in more muted colors.

Pandora made sure everyone else had changed costumes, were ready to go before she headed up to the catwalks over the stage. She was fitted with a pair of white feathered wings that were large enough to actually lift a human if they had been real, and trailed the ground with long fronds of feathers. The wings were also a harness, and so when the music began this time, Mara played her solo, while she was slowly lowered down from the catwalks over the crowd. Her microphone had been replaced with a white and silver one this time, and she floated down to the jutting stage to the deafening screams of the crowd who ate it up.

She slumped forward a little as she landed, the wings closing around her a bit, until the rest of the music swelled and the song began. Then she pushed back her shoulders, the wings opening up again to reveal her, and she began to sing, the new song they wanted to introduce from the new album before it was released. The harness strings had been detached remotely from the wings, and went back up into the catwalks, so she could dance as she normally would, looking strangely ethereal in the get up. It was during the last notes of the song that something began to go wrong.

The shadows on stage began to move, and despite the screaming and the reverberating music, Pandora heard something very distinct in her ear plugs.

"Angel...."

"Angel...."

"Angel...."

Turning, she gasped and dropped the microphone as she saw the monsters appearing, the hell lusts oozing from the shadows, scythes raised. Pandora found herself surrounded by them almost immediately, and she had nowhere to go as they closed in around her. She did not see the falling scythe until it slashed through one of the wings on her back, and she was thrown forward, feeling hot blood oozing from somewhere, the wing drifting down onto the stage. She fell to the ground, back burning in pain, as they clustered in around her, weapons lifted. The crowd was screaming now, uncertain if this was part of the show or not.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff