Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Ladykiller

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Signature Look 250
How afraid are you of walking at night? Do you feel the risks of perverts/kidnappers/satanists are very high at night?

I like to walk, and I try to do it whenever possible. My neighborhood is perfect for this because there is a 24/7 gas station right in it. On foot taking the back streets it's about a 30 minute walk, and driving a car it's 3 minutes top on direct route, and 5 minutes on indirect route.

Everybody flips their s**t if you choose to walk. Do you think the bad things happen more at night? Because my experience is that these types of people have bed times so it really only happens during the day. In fact tonight I actually had a very cute guy offer my a ride, which is different were it during the day. If it were the day I would have been catcalled and harrassed.
If I remember correctly, there was a pretty extensive study done awhile back that found that if you would be the target of a crime while walking, the crime was more likely to occur between 6 and 10 pm. Having said that, bad things can happen to you at any time of the day or night.

My best friend and her boyfriend got mugged when they were in grade eleven. It was a little after eleven and they were walking through a 10 m long trail to cut over to the next street. Supposedly the group who mugged them smelled drunk too.

I used to live on a pretty nice street and apparently around 10 pm a stranger attacked and sexually assault a girl as she was walking to the corner store on my street. My boyfriend in high school almost always walked me home and no one ever bothered us.

The worst I have ever had was being catcalled by men, who tried to get me to "go party with them" when I was fourteen. It was around seven in the evening, but a little dim since it was winter.

Where I am is what determines how safe I feel at night. I usually steer clear of trails and streets I deem "shady". Having said that, at my university and the surrounding area I feel safe walking around at all times of day or night. Mostly because it's a big enough university to have campus security on duty at night and the campus is small enough that are always a few people within eye shot.

Timid Star

I live in a fairly peaceful area so I'm not too worried about walking at night. I actually enjoy walks in the evening.

All of my experiences with perverts happened during the day, on my way home from work and such. It never really went beyond catcalling, although one time I was groped by a teenage boy who ran away before I could react.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
I go out for night walks around the block relatively often, and I generally don't see anyone (because by "night walks" I mean "walks at 4 a.m.''). I'm generally not concerned about people messing with me; I'm confident I could defend myself adequately.
I would suggest it near my area, but over the barn, I WOULD NOT. There's towns surrounding the one I live in that people don't even like to go near during the day. There's like a shooting and killing every week.

Wheezing Fatcat

if someone pulls up to you and asks you if you want a ride then they probably think you're a prostitute. smart johns/tricks won't outright ask if you are one, but asking someone if they want a ride is a common euphemism for prostitution.

some guy did the same thing to me. i saw him coming because he was racing down an alleyway with all his lights on just so he could wait at a parking lot exit for me to walk by. there was no traffic so he could have turned before i got to the exit, but he waited for me to walk by to his side of the vehicle and then he asked if i wanted a ride. to which i gave him a dirty look and said no. after that i ran several blocks to a 24 hour gas station in case he decided to follow me

Sarcastic Partygoer

Not afraid of the dark. Just the stuff in it.

....... Taking a ride from a cute guy (after dark) could be like accepting the candy from the van man.....down by the river... emotion_donotwant
No, the 2nd amendment.

Dangerous Bloodsucker

In the tiny a** town I live in, I'm probably the biggest creep to go walking around at nite so I don't really worry about other people seeing as I'm probably a bigger threat to them than they are to me. Even when I lived in the city I didn't really worry about what went on at night when I was walking around. I mean, if s**t's gonna happen, it's gonna happen not really much I can do about it; no reason to freak out and be paranoid about it. I'm a dude, so I've never had to deal with catcalling, but that sounds really degrading and lame.

Timid Lunatic

I'm afraid of the dark, but it's because my mind plays tricks on me and I start worrying about ghosts and stuff... ._.;

Fuzzy Bibliophile

12,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
User Image I'm always out late because of work.

It can be nerveracking, but I've gotten used to it

Anxious Duck

Depends where I'm living at the time. I used to live in a place where I would walk around at 2-3am and I didn't feel anxious or anything. But now, where I live, I wouldn't as it's not great. For me, personally, it's down to where I live.

Acid Zombeh's Waifu

Shy Streaker

I'm only afraid of the dark after I watch a zombie movie or some sort.
I have a deep fear of zombies and I also have lots of nightmares about them.
(Its sad, I know)
:c

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
I have mixed feelings. I"m certainly wary and cautious, especially so at night. but somehow I'm more comfortable at night than in the daytime.

but I stick to busy main roads with lots of traffic. sweatdrop

I am always anxious and afraid, anyway. I never calm down, anywhere, anytime.

I'm also male. so, it's less dangerous for me than for a woman. not because of any biological reasons, but because of gender stereotypes.
I don't feel very comfortable walking outside on my own at night unless I have company.
I live in the city and it can sometimes be dangerous depending on what area you're walking to so I tend to just used UBER if I'm going somewhere with a long walking distance.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff