Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Lately browsing Gaia has led me to get suspicious popups and some viruses from ads. Thankfully my antivirus catches them, but this is rather unsettling.

Princess Kunzite's Princess

Spoiled Pandahime

Tuah
Lately browsing Gaia has led me to get suspicious popups and some viruses from ads. Thankfully my antivirus catches them, but this is rather unsettling.
And the question is? o-o

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Angels Alibi
Tuah
And the question is? o-o

Whoops, thought I was in Site Feedback!

Conservative Millionaire

Yeah, I've been getting redirected to some fishy sites while I've been on Gaia today...

Devoted Informer

I also kept getting a bunch of popups yesterday...

Lonely Loiterer

14,675 Points
  • 1 Win 50
  • PvP 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I have Sophos anti-virus software and it's caught quite a few nefarious ads containing possible viruses and malware that have appeared on Gaia. I'm not sure how much control Gaia has over this sort of thing, but everybody who uses the Internet should have a good anti-virus program installed.

I did have a recent situation where I got an error that shut down my entire system, but I am not sure it was caused by Gaia or some other site I had open at the time. This just happened the other day. Fortunately, I was able to re-boot and things appear normal now.

Unholy Spark

42,875 Points
  • Haunting Echo 75
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Wintersday Bard 50
I so rarely have issues with popups and malicious things in ads from other sites. But got quite a lot of it from Gaia before I started using Adblock and Ghostery. I don't come on Gaia without those on now. I'd rather save my computer than their ad revenue.

reviali's Waifu

Sparkly Fatcat

27,025 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Team Kitten Star 75
been sometime since it first happened to me

I am seriously considering adblock .-.

Wolfenspyre's Waifu

Demonic Vampire

I use a combination of AdBlock + Kaspersky internet security / antivirus.

It's upsetting because Adblock can hurt websites, but if they didn't have so many tacky ads,
people wouldn't resort to getting it in some cases.

Lunatic

I've gotten some as well and I will be reporting advertisements from here on out.
Ad-Block.

I know it hurts website revenue, but I'd rather have an intact PC to visit said websites rather than live in fear of some nasty malware attacking my system.

I've seen some really grotesque ads on sites such as Yahoo (shocking/disturbing gross out ads of stuff like blisters and parasites), so using Ad-Block has been a staple of my internet life.

Eugh.

Brainy Kitten

17,775 Points
  • Team Carl 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
+1 to Adblock.
I've never seen an ad, popup, wait page, etc. on this site.
It's beautiful.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
I now have Adblock.
Himemiya Neko
It's upsetting because Adblock can hurt websites, but if they didn't have so many tacky ads,
Indeed! I tried to spend time on Gaia without Adblock but the ads are so obnoxious and overabundant that I couldn't stand this for even just 5 Minutes.

Feral Bookworm

7,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
Amoreyna
Himemiya Neko
Indeed! I tried to spend time on Gaia without Adblock but the ads are so obnoxious and overabundant that I couldn't stand this for even just 5 Minutes.
Ads are risks for the computer, especially if the pop-ups are true. I never met a pop-up that my computer didn't tell me almost gave me malware. If sites are going to force ads down my throat they need to make sure they aren't hotbeds for viruses. Thus I use adblock without feeling bad at all.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff