Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chelsea's retort about mocking Bobby's sleep paralysis died on her lips as Kyle went into a description of his dreams. At first, as she listened, she thought about how coincidental it was that they were all having strange dreams - it wouldn't be too far fetched. They were all gamers, with vivid imaginations. Her own sleep schedule had been messed up for months, probably even years, with brief attempts to fix it failing after a week or two. Bobby's was even worse - with his early mornings and late nights, the boy was lucky to squeak in enough to remember how to function. Kyle was... well, he was Kyle. They could be complaining to the moon about something and Kyle would always retort with the opposite just to piss them off, with a big grin on his face. But that he was sharing these problems was a concern.

The concern grew even more as he explained the deadlands. A chill ran through her body, and she closed her eyes. As soon as she did, she regretted it, as overwhelming feelings of loss and anger coursed through her system, the arid plains appearing in her mind's eye as if she were already there. The waist-high 'graveposts', as Kyle had called them, stretching out as far as her eye could see. And a cliff face, a huge cliff face, and someone was falling, and she couldn't reach him....

She jolted upright, eyes flashing open, face pale momentarily, before she shook her head, as if to dislodge the image from her mind.

"Kyle..." she said quietly. "Um.... this is going to sound SUPER weird and all, but, uh..." she hesitated. Bobby called her crazy often enough, and this certainly wasn't going to help, but it was worth inquiring, even if they did think she was spastic.

"The ground was like rust... reddish, kind of? With a big cliff?" She struggled to remember. "And something was wrong with the moon..."
Bobby stayed silent as Kyle spoke, intrigue and then eventually worry coursing through his brain. What his friend was explaining sounded familiar to him. Too familiar. Just last night he felt as though he'd woken up in such a wasteland, unable to move, but able to see and feel everything. If he thought hard enough it was as though he could feel the stale air in his lungs, feel the dryness in his eyes and nostrils making everything feel as though it were not just dead, but as though the arid wasteland had never even been home to life, had never even seen light.

This was too ******** weird, even for him and Kyle. Had they both played some game on Newgrounds or something that they hadn't spoken about? Perhaps something with a similar terrain? He opened his mouth to speak, but then Chelsea piped in and he stayed in silence until she was finished.

"That's because it was a heart, right!?" His eyes widened as he realized what he said, the reality that they were all describing the exact same place taking root in his mind.

"What the ********? Are we all dreaming of the same s**t? Like, for real?"

Omnipresent Seeker

6,325 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Hygienic 200
Kyle's brows furrowed slightly when Chelsea began to speak up... quietly. Quietly? This was Chelsea. The only person in humanity that could actually be louder than him on the reg. What. What.

Wait, she was describing the landscape. What.

And the moon, yeah something was... What.

Bobby spoke up pretty loudly then, and filled in the blank. Yeah, the moon was a heart. And Bobby knew too. What.

"Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting," he said, rubbing his chin. He was no newbie to too-weird-to-be-true coincidences. Almost dying a few times does that, and he figured Chelsea would know as much as him. Still... dreams? Dreams are weird. Not this kind of weird, but weird and out of that sort of scope.

"Well, there's nothing like this in Night Angel," he said, already going through the list of things they'd had in common for ages. "I can't think of any movie this fantastical. Harry Potter? Nah, too mage-y, not enough fight-y. Pendragon had scene shifts like this, but again, not enough fight-y, and I don't recall you guys ever talking about reading it..."

He scratched his head. "Whelp, I got nothin'," he said, shrugging. He felt like Kronk. "Weird."
((I promised I would post, I apologize for spelling errors that will occur as I am heavily intoxicated and trying very hard not to misspell))

Chelsea's frown grew, as Bobby chimed into the conversation, and then Kyle finished up with information he shouldn't have known. The idea that the three of them were sharing dreams was absolutely ludicrous. Firstly, it was highly unlikely, and secondly, they must have clearly played the same game or something, even though she could clearly remember the heart shaped moon, and could not recall a game or book that mentioned one.

"I don't know, is it Mass Effect or something?" she lamely suggested, even though she knew it wasn't. The idea that she was sharing dreams with two of her best friends was both exhilarating and frightening at the same time. She had always considered herself a vivid lucid dreamer, but this was pushing the boundaries just a little. She could control her dreams, but she hadn't been able to control these ones. It was as if it were another person living the memories out in her sleep.

"The tops of the graves didn't look like graves," she commented, her frown increasing in severity. "They were more decorated. I don't know. They were different. I don't think they were graves, to be honest," she confided. "I was carrying a weapon. They looked like my weapon... I don't know what I was carrying though." She could remember the taste of dry sand in her mouth, the fear, the concern, the terrified realization that she couldn't save her friends, that one was captured, the other lost...

"Bobby.... I couldn't catch you. You were falling and I couldn't catch you."

She shook her head, drawing her knees closer to her chest and wrapping her arms about them. This was too weird.
It took quite a bit of effort on Bobby's part to not roll his eyes as the others started suggesting that what they were seeing were parts of some series that they all enjoyed. It wasn't a bad idea, but they were all pretty well-versed in the things they shared in common when it came to their video games, books, and shows. They wouldn't have just forgotten a level in a video game or a scene from a book or show. They had their s**t on lock. But what was the explanation then? There wasn't one that Bobby could see. Hell, he was pretty sure there wasn't one that any of them could see considering they were coming up with excuses and not answers.

"That's because they were...keys? I think?" His eyes closed and he sunk further into his bed and his pillow, not believing that this was actually happening. "Yeah, keys. There were...thousands of them, but they felt like graves, yeah, you're right, Kyle. It was a wasteland." A desert, almost. He remembered the feeling of missing something. As though they had missed something huge and were only seeing the remnants of it.

"I fell for a while," he said, clearing his throat. "Felt like I was getting beat up. Well, the s**t kicked out of me, really. It felt like dying." This definitely wasn't just coincidence anymore, no. Chelsea saw what he experienced in this dream. Knew what actions were happening. "I was cold, too. So, so cold."

His eyes opened slowly, still half-lidded in his exhaustion. "What the hell is going on, guys? Like this s**t is not normal. At all."

Omnipresent Seeker

6,325 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Hygienic 200
[[ Was under the impression FF didn't exist, whoops! ]]

Kyle shook his head when Chelsea mentioned Mass Effect, not that she could see him. Definitely had that sort of feel, he supposed, but yet it was somehow... different, at the heart of the matter. Still, it didn't matter--Kyle couldn't remember anything he'd ever experienced like these dreams of his. No... this was new information. Without a source or reason. Worse, the more they talked about it, the clearer it became. The clearer everything became--the wasteland, the key-graves, his search for the 'two people' that he now realized had been Chelsea and Bobbi...

And the man in black.

He was getting a bit frustrated; even made a small growl when all he'd intended to do was sigh.

"Yeah, keys. Sword-key things... placemarkers for the dead. I knew that much. Hundreds of thousands of people had been there before," he said, his tone stoic. "And died, over... that damn moon."

"Do you remember the man in black?" he asked, eyes searching the screen as if it were their faces, as if he could discern from truth from the electric light. He'd been so angry, but in the end, it was more of a... lingering hope? "I tried to get you away from him before he tossed you over, but I couldn't."

He'd pretty much just accepted that 'this is wasn't normal'. Maybe they'd get more answers as more dreams occurred.
The redhead shook her head. "I don't recall anyone in black. There was someone up on the cliff - the one who threw Bobby - but I didn't get a good look. Wasn't what I was focused on, I guess." She shivered, rubbing her arms. "This is weird. Really weird. Get out of my head guys" she half-heartedly joked.

It was strange. She'd always loved her dreams, even if they were nightmares, because they were vivid and interesting, and most of the time she could even control them to a degree. But she'd never shared a dream with anyone. That it was two of her best friends calmed her slightly, but not much.

"But you're right; they were totally keys. I had one, I think, but I dropped it trying to catch Bobbert. Don't remember where it went. Think it was my weapon. Probably shouldn't have dropped it..." she mused.

Suddenly, her face brightened, even though her friends couldn't see it. "But I did use magic, I think? That was pretty damn cool."

She sighed. "But I think we can all agree it wasn't a good dream, but any means. Not if it made us all feel angry and upset and all that fun stuff. And cold, in Bobby's case.

Soooo... raise your hand if you're not sleeping tonight."
"I could see him," he sighed out, turning over in his bed and bringing his laptop even closer to him. "Not his face, but...but him. For literally a second before the dickwad pushed me down off that giant cliff-thing." He could remember falling for a while. He was high up, elevated over the wasteland. High up above the the earth. If he focused on it he could almost recall some of the finer details, as though they were just out of reach.

"Your head, Chels? You wish you could come up with this s**t." Somehow even joking about this, something that usually brought him pure joy, felt stale. As though this absolutely wasn't something that they should be making light of. No, this felt serious. Like something was actually wrong in the pit of his stomach, making him a little uneasy. So, naturally, he decided that anxiety wasn't going to get the best of him and he'd ignore it. Like a normal person.

"My hand is sure as hell not raised," Bobby said with yet another yawn, covering his mouth with one hand. "I need sleep. About twenty minutes ago."

Omnipresent Seeker

6,325 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Hygienic 200
"Pfft, I'll be sleeping like a rock as always," Kyle replied, chuckling. "Though I still have a few hours left in me, at least."

He'd be using that time to distract himself, to be sure. Otherwise he'd never stop thinking about this craziness. He ran his hand through his hair again, ruffling it a bit as he did so; it helped calm him down. Maybe he'd talk to Joe or the others about it, they knew all sorts of referential stuff.

"Still, you should go crash, Bobs," he said, resisting the impulse to yawn that the younger male had caused. "Lord knows you need it. Talk to you tomorrow, eh?"
Chelsea stifled her own yawn, biting her lip nervously. She was quite tired. The dreams hadn't made it easy to get a good night's sleep. But the idea that they might share another dream still weirded her out a little.

"Alright Bobby. Head to be then. To be honest, I think I might just read some Dresden for a while. Get lost in a book before I pass out. If I fall asleep with this in mind, I KNOW I'll have another dream, and to be honest, I would like the good night rest instead."

She stretched her arms over her head as another of her mother's cats mewled and climbed into her lap. "Uh-uh" she murmured, picking the small cat up and placing it aside. "I'm goin downstairs."

Standing up from the couch, she twisted her hips side to side, before bending over to peer at the chat window. "I guess I'm going to head down to my cave then, if Bobby's crashing. I'll talk to the two of you later?"
Considering that her sign off, the redhead disconnected herself from the chat, her computer making that uncomfortable moaning noise as Skype shut down. Stretching up out off the couch and clicking the laptop lid closed, she sauntered to the kitchen to grab a drink before bed...

The forest around her was completely dark, the light of the full moon barely able to pierce the heavy treetops. She ran down the path, breathing heavily, blue bangs brushing past her eyes. She needed to get to the castle. There was no way she was sure she could save anyone even if she got there in time, but she should be able to stop the destruction. Her feet fell heavy on the dirt, her footsteps echoing loudly, driving home to the girl just how unnaturally silent the forest was.

Ahead of her, a beam of light appeared, stretching out and widening as she approached the end of the dark woods. Trying to save her energy and hold back a sigh of relief, she burst from the edge, gaze alighting upon the crystalline palace across the meadows. She slowed momentarily, catching her breath, relieved that the castle was still there. However, as her focus narrowed, she could see, ever so slightly, the shadowy shapes gliding across the surface of the bricks.

She wiped her brow with the back of a gloved hand, brows furrowing in worry and not just a little bit of anger. A light flashed at her right palm, and although she didn't look down to see what it was she was gripping, she felt comfortable that whatever the light, long object was, she was safe with it in her capable hands. She took a step forward, about to leap back into action and defend the castle from the dark hordes, when the ground beneath her began to tremble. The silence crumbled as the air filled with the sound of crashing trees. She lunged forward to avoid a falling branch, touching her free hand to her chest, summoning a dark blue armour around her body.

She sprung out of her roll, racing for the castle, watching with panic as the dark shapes multiplied, racing across the surface of the castle, covering it with shadow. A loud crack filled the air as the ground not far ahead of her yawned open into a deep chasm. She took a running leap as she met the edge, gracefully landing on the other side, cape snapping out behind her in the rough wind.

However, she could tell it was a useless effort, as the bare spaces between the shadows on the castle began to glow brightly. She was too late; they'd found what they were looking for. She skidded to a stop, throwing her arms in an X across her face just in time as the castle exploded outward, the ground under her throwing her up violently, the planet exploding from within.

Chelsea jolted up in bed, sweat on her brow, panting. "What the ********]

Omnipresent Seeker

6,325 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Hygienic 200
"Yeah, alrighty," he said, already pulling up Steam and gazing through his list of games to play. It wasn't even eight for him yet, there was no way he'd be asleep until at least midnight. "Later, guys."

Hmm, maybe some Borderlands or Skyrim...

---

There was a roar, a blur of motion, and few small bursts of black dust.

His breath heavy, he brought the blade back to his ready position as more of the strange, shadowy creatures took the places of the ones he'd destroyed. These were nothing like the ones before. He had no idea what they were, but he knew they were more potent, and more animalistic. Fighting the previous creatures had been like fighting pieces of a whole, working in tandem; fighting these, though... it was like fighting something primal. Bestial. Instinctive.

This wasn't a battle. This was a hunt, and he'd been the prey.

The black pests swayed to and fro, never looking away from him with those beady yellow eyes. His anger began to bubble up to the surface. He didn't have time for this. He had to find the princess, had to protect her from this, had to redeem himself from the last time he'd hurt her--

With another furious shout, he cut through the beasts, some disintegrating, others simply being flung back, and without hesitation, he began to run, dashing through the enchanted forest, the lower edges of his hakama snagging occasionally on the massive thorn-laced vines that created a maze he had no choice but to navigate. Around every turn, there were more of the creatures, always waiting, lunging at him with a single purpose: to slash at his chest, tear at his back, always ripping, always sundering, desperate to consume him--

He suddenly hesitated, taking a step back and locking himself into a defensive stance.

That's what struck so hard a chord. It was obvious they weren't ordinary creatures, but the difference from the invasion before wasn't just how they fought... these creatures sought to consume in a way that no simple animal could. They were borne of that same shame he held so close.

They were Darkness.

Anger turned to rage, and it did far more than bubble--he shouted and began to assault any shadow that dared to cross his path to the princess. No, he
would redeem himself, he would prove he was more than he'd been, that damn witch had fooled him once, but no more--

---

Kyle's eyes opened, but his body remained tense, locked up and pumping with adrenaline, and his chest felt tight. He turned over in the bed, looking at his brother's bed on the opposite side of the room, where the younger man slept soundly.

Just a dream. Calm down.
"Byeeee," Bobby elongated his farewell as he was known to do, shutting his laptop screen almost immediately before rolling over. He was absolutely exhausted and came close to falling asleep on the chat (not that it would have been his first time doing so), so sleep came easily and quickly to the boy.

Laughter. Love. Happiness. All things that he could imagine that were inherently good were surrounding him at this party. It was a celebration, of that much he was sure, and he was happy to be there, almost overwhelmingly so. There was music, lights, dancing, food, and a plethora of people with nothing but smiles. Not a bad soul in the entire palace.

He ran a hand through his mass of blond hair, still taking in the regal scene before he spotted two people out on a balcony, embracing. They looked his way, waved him out, and he obeyed immediately, hurrying through the crowds of people to exit to one of the palace's many balconies that overlooked the garden. He could tell that the three of them were speaking, mouths moving, but there was no sound as time seemed to slow down. His vision strayed from the couple's faces to the scene behind them and his brows furrowed.

There were objects falling onto the foreign landscape behind them, right into the garden. What started as just one object falling quickly turned into many as they decimated the landscape. There was no screaming from the three of them, the music coming from inside drowning out any noise that the impact had made.

Before he knew it, he had slammed his fist into his shoulder and armor appeared, but it was too late. Shadows erupted from where the objects landed and were approaching quickly. The girl next to him clutched onto the male, wanting to be together as they knew that they hadn't acted quickly enough; couldn't have acted, really. There were too many.

Everything turned dark as hundred of shadows with yellow eyes leapt at him as though he were their prey.

His eyes shot open, mouth dry and body sweating. The ******** was that? He thought to himself, heart racing as he sat up and turned on his bedside lamp. Immediately he grasped his laptop and opened it up and looked at the time. 3:03. Fantastic. He knew there was no way in hell he'd be going back to bed, never did after nightmares and especially not these that felt so real.

Hellooooo? He typed into the Skype chat, hoping that the two of his friends were still awake playing games or whatever the hell it was they did staying up so late.
Chelsea pushed back the sweat-dampened strands of hair from her face, rising up onto her elbows and scanning the room with panic. It had just been a dream, but the trembling of the earth had felt so real, the shadows so...

She scrambled to the side and flicked on the lamp in her room, throwing light into most of the shadowy corners. Out of the corner of her eye, she glimpsed her alarm clock. 3:03am. Well, that was plenty of more time to sleep, once she calmed down. As she reached for her phone, the screen lit up, as a Skype message came through her mobile app. The redhead frowned, as 'Bobbert' appeared as the sender. Odd. He didn't have to get up for a while yet.

She grabbed her computer, her phone much too unreliable to host a call, and sat up, crossing her legs beneath her for a table. As Skype slowly took its time to open on the ancient computer her mother had let her borrow that night, she opened up a browser on her phone, opting, as she normally did while she waited for things to load, to wander reddit.

As Skype uncomfortably sighed it's happiness at her return to signing in, she started, surprised as she read the headline at the top of her webpage.

Breaking News: Meteorites striking Earth

She could feel her blood freeze.

Just before she clicked to call the group chat, she typed into the message screen, Guys, are you okay? I just read the news and I just... you're going to think this is crazy but I just had the worst nightmare.

Omnipresent Seeker

6,325 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Hygienic 200
Calming down wasn't happening.

With a sigh, which quickly turned into a yawn, Kyle sat up and threw his legs over the side of the bed, slumping over. He couldn't get the dream out of his head. Normally, his dreams faded as he woke up, to the point where he could barely remember anything within ten minutes. Even the weird dreams lately had faded a bit over time. This one, though... it was like the tightness in his chest was just getting stronger. His heart kept pumping, his muscles continued to tingle. He felt like he had to get moving, had to keep moving...

Grunting, he stood up, pulled on some shorts, and walked into the next room over, where his computer was. With a quick tap of the space bar, it began to whir awake, giving him time to plop into the chair and get comfortable--

Something rumbled.

Oof, still waking up, shouldn't drop so heavily in this old thing...

The screen lit up, and he lazily pulled Skype back up. It had only been an hour or so since he'd passed out, so he didn't think he'd missed too many messages--

--and yet, lo.

The ********]

Every chat he was in was rampant. Chats that had been largely dead for weeks at a time were suddenly getting messages. Being the obsessive he was, he tried to scroll through every one... except they were all pretty similar: meteors. No, that wasn't right, meteors were what you called anything that came into the atmosphere. These were specifically meteorites--the stuff that landed.

And they weren't isolated.

He had friends on the east coast. He had friends on the west coast. He had friends in England, he had friends in Japan, he had friends in Canada, hell, he had a friend in New Zealand.

Everyone was talking about meteorites.

Finally, though, he got to the chat with Chelsea and Bobby. Both of whom had come online recently, despite normally being dead-asleep at this hour. And then Chelsea mentioned her nightmare.

"s**t, seriously, all three of us?" he typed into the chat--and then something rumbled again. "And for ******** sake are you guys getting spacerocks too because I'm gonna ********' punch a child in the throat."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff