Welcome to Gaia! ::

I heard that the bible says the Earth is only i think like 4000 years old is it? I was wondering where in the bible it says that? I tried googling it but found nothing. Where did this conclusion come from? Im just curious. sweatdrop Ive been studying creation and evolution lately.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The young earth creationists use the genealogies of the bible and the ages listed (with estimates based on normal human lifespans for people who have not had their ages listed) to make a estimate of the age of the earth.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument isn't worth a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Alluring_Mystique
I heard that the bible says the Earth is only i think like 4000 years old is it? I was wondering where in the bible it says that? I tried googling it but found nothing. Where did this conclusion come from? Im just curious. sweatdrop Ive been studying creation and evolution lately.
Young Earth Creationism holds that the 'verse is a little over 6000 years old. This is based on Jame's Ussher's calculations, in which he basically looked at all the genealogical listing in the Bible ("And X begat Y when he was Z years old", etc), and counted backwards from Jesus (whom he considered being born in the year 0 AD). Using this method, Ussher decided deduced that the first day of creation began at nightfall preceding sunday, October 23, 4004 BC. Since YECs are Biblical Literalists, they use the same method to calculate claim the same basic thing.

The difference is that Ussher said what he said in the 17th century (without having any real scientific knowledge or archaeology to suggest anything else) as opposed to YECs claiming this today, who have to disregard an overwhelming amount of evidence, as well as blatantly ignoring numerous branches of the science they claim to embrace, in order to say such things.
Arcoon Effox
Alluring_Mystique
Young Earth Creationism holds that the 'verse is a little over 6000 years old. This is based on Jame's Ussher's calculations, in which he basically looked at all the genealogical listing in the Bible ("And X begat Y when he was Z years old", etc), and counted backwards from Jesus (whom he considered being born in the year 0 AD). Using this method, Ussher decided deduced that the first day of creation began at nightfall preceding sunday, October 23, 4004 BC. Since YECs are Biblical Literalists, they use the same method to calculate claim the same basic thing.

The difference is that Ussher said what he said in the 17th century (without having any real scientific knowledge or archaeology to suggest anything else) as opposed to YECs claiming this today, who have to disregard an overwhelming amount of evidence, as well as blatantly ignoring numerous branches of the science they claim to embrace, in order to say such things.

I see.

well i asked because when i searched it in the bible i only found the "In the beginning..." verse in Genesis 1:1 and it doesnt really specify what or when the beginning was and no specific date.

I also came across a couple of verses 2 Peter 3:8 "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day." and Psalm 90:4 "A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night."

So is it possible that the presumed 7 day universal creation wasnt literal? And by it only stating "in the beginning" how do we draw a starting point to come up with the 4000 year old Earth conclusion? Obviously we dont really know but it is something to think about. I was also wondering what technology is used to calculate how old something is.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Alluring_Mystique
Arcoon Effox
Alluring_Mystique

I see.

well i asked because when i searched it in the bible i only found the "In the beginning..." verse in Genesis 1:1 and it doesnt really specify what or when the beginning was and no specific date.

I also came across a couple of verses 2 Peter 3:8 "But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day." and Psalm 90:4 "A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night."

So is it possible that the presumed 7 day universal creation wasnt literal? And by it only stating "in the beginning" how do we draw a starting point to come up with the 4000 year old Earth conclusion? Obviously we dont really know but it is something to think about. I was also wondering what technology is used to calculate how old something is.
Like Arcoon Effox said, the 6000 year calculations are derived from those "boring begats". "In the beginning" is then calculated backwards from there, after calculating backwards through Jesus's supposed genealogy. It's not a figure that's widely accepted by the majority of Christians.

It is impossible for the creation myth to be literal. It states that plants were on Earth before the sun existed. We know that life in Earth is dependent upon the sun and absent the sun it would be too cold for life, not to mention impossible for plants to photosynthesize.

There are many types of technology to determine how old something is. It depends what type of something you are trying to date what method works best.

Fashionable Fatcat

11,375 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Alluring_Mystique

The way i think about it is really simple. God's time is much long than ours, a day to him might be a million years to us.

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
Oh Trendy
Alluring_Mystique

The way i think about it is really simple. God's time is much long than ours, a day to him might be a million years to us.

That doesn't answer the question, though.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Alluring_Mystique
So is it possible that the presumed 7 day universal creation wasnt literal?

The only way to take it would be as a "story." Even if the writers meant for it to be literal, the christian creation myth is just as misinformed as all the other ones. If you try to take it literally, then you have to ignore the fact that it contradicts reality.

Quote:
And by it only stating "in the beginning" how do we draw a starting point to come up with the 4000 year old Earth conclusion?

I'm sure it's been explained already. Someone traced the genealogies of the people in the bible and, basically, guessed. How they came up with the number is almost irrelevant, considering how astoundingly wrong they are.

Quote:
Obviously we dont really know but it is something to think about.

Do we know exactly? Of course not. Do we have a pretty good idea? Yes....and it's around 4.5 billion years old.

Quote:
I was also wondering what technology is used to calculate how old something is.

Most commonly, and more relevantly considering the topic, radiometric dating.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Oh Trendy

User Image

Where is your proof for that?

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
XxRagingHomosexualxX
Oh Trendy

User Image

Where is your proof for that?

Because potato, my friend. POTATO. wink

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
I find it interesting that many Christians are willing to abandon a very ancient bit of their literature as myth while embracing the newer Jesus-y stuff as reality, when in fact the messianic myth depends on the creation myth for validity.

Without original sin there is no need for inherent evil in humanity or salvation from birth. By this token, since Genesis is a myth then the proceeding New Testament (which references the Old several times in a literal way) is also a myth.

My question, I suppose, is this: In what way is mainstream Christianity any less nutty than YEC Christianity for believing in the New Myth rather than the Old?

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
The Legendary Guest

THAT IS WRONG. IT'S CARROT YOU HEATHEN!

Eloquent Inquisitor

18,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Partygoer 500
XxRagingHomosexualxX
The Legendary Guest

THAT IS WRONG. IT'S CARROT YOU HEATHEN!

Carrot is a false god masquerading as the One True Root Vegetable. You, too, will know the power of potato.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
The Legendary Guest

Carrot is a false god masquerading as the One True Root Vegetable. You, too, will know the power of potato.

The Carrot god did not grow from soil, but manifested itself in the void of space, giving birth to the Universe. To eat carrots is to know true power.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
XxRagingHomosexualxX
The Legendary Guest

The Carrot god did not grow from soil, but manifested itself in the void of space, giving birth to the Universe. To eat carrots is to know true power.

You are both blasphemers! Corn (butter be upon him) grew out of the ground to become a proud and mighty stalk, rising higher than the other vegetables. It is the one TRUE vegetable!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff