Welcome to Gaia! ::

Beloved Streaker

14,075 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
So, I don't know if any of you know about this right now, but Japan is stopping all pirated anime sites from illegally streaming anime or manga. You can only watch anime or read manga online if you pay for a service (such as hulu/crunchyroll, although there are free parts of these services). Sites that you watch anime on that aren't legal will be taken down. There's a list of these sites (2nd photo). I'm really mad and upset right now over this, I think that it's just stupid and that it limits what shows we can watch for international audience members.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
It's already illegal.
Can't stop the pirates.
no1currrrr

Partying Reveler

I say good luck Japan. There are sites that redo there IP and other s**t every 2 weeks.

Really if you wanna know the truth. The only reason people go to illegal sites is cause they can't afford to pay for subscriptions and other s**t. Maybe fix one problem while handling the other would help. Instead of killing off one and not doing anything about the other.

Anyways I don't see this getting anywhere people will always find a way to get s**t.

Beloved Streaker

14,075 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Neon Wasteland
I say good luck Japan. There are sites that redo there IP and other s**t every 2 weeks.

Really if you wanna know the truth. The only reason people go to illegal sites is cause they can't afford to pay for subscriptions and other s**t. Maybe fix one problem while handling the other would help. Instead of killing off one and not doing anything about the other.

Anyways I don't see this getting anywhere people will always find a way to get s**t.

That's what I was thinking afterwards, because there's no way they can get rid of it all, people download episodes too so they can just re-upload them.

Beloved Streaker

14,075 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Albinus of Angers
It's already illegal.
Can't stop the pirates.
no1currrrr

Yesss!!! Hopefully tho..

mabu janai's Husbando

Handsome Hero

No one can outright stop piracy, so really, dirty smelly pirates like me don't have to worry.

In the end though, if I like an anime or manga enough, I'll buy it anyway, but hey.

Rainbow Wrangler

13,075 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
I don't see this as a huge issue.
People will find a way to pirate one way or another.
While they are busy shutting 20 sites down, another 20 get put up.
I mean, it is kind of annoying for foreigners who enjoy anime. It means having to wait years for something to come out (If it does at all.) Buuut I don't think there's need to worry.

Magical Girl

26,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Invisibility 100
Someone in the government is pretty hopeful. Nothing in the world can stop piracy.

4,300 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Signature Look 250
I say pollution in japan is a bigger issue then animated videos on the web.

Aged Recycler

5,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
So. Is this the fifth or sixth attempt that they tried stamping out streaming anime?

I bet 10 bucks nothing ******** happens next month and forth.
Neon Wasteland

Think you have a point there and changing the field did work for video games, looking at how Origin and Steam currently function and at commentary about piracy from Gabe Newell.

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

They seem to be trying to do what's right, so I'm not really angry but... I can't help thinking that this may be a double-edged sword.

Anime thrives on hype. Even if westerners couldn't get their hands on translated shows immediately, if they're able to see it online first and talk to fans, they'd be interested and into it enough buy merchandise, and this helps with the industry. Later, when the original translated version is out, they could buy the books and DVD's. But as is, hype is what generates current revenue too, and this is worldwide.

By shutting it off, while it's commendable that they're trying to remove something illegal, there wouldn't be enough hype and a lot of people wouldn't even know about a series. They'd miss out on quite a number of people ordering merchandise like collectible figurines, and will probably have to wait until these same people could get their hands on the DVD's when they're out.... if they bother to get them at all when the time comes. Not everyone wants to be the laggard in entertainment.

I'm a bit on the fence with this. It might be a good chance to grow out of anime and manga. I mean, I really love it, but if it gets a little too hard or bothersome to be in the loop, I'd just have to shrug and move on to other things I can just as easily as before enjoy with my time and money, right?

I don't think the Japanese government really understands that anime became popular and widespread thanks to its availability [on the Internet], and it's become a global industry thanks to that demand. If it does die off due to too many restrictions, it's nobody's fault but their own. I'd just chalk it up to poor business decisions. If it survives and actually thrives because more people would just subscribe and keep the revenue coming in sufficient, well, that's a good move on their part. Could go either way. Japanese consumption alone is enough for them to earn enough money, anyway... wait, maybe not. Not enough young people/children in Japan anymore lol.
Japan has always been pretty strict about piracy and streaming. Japan's ISPs will probably end up blocking these sites completely, and at the most they're going to attempt to get these sites taken down worldwide. You cut off one appendage, two more grow in it's place. Or these sites just end up moving to servers where they remain mostly untouchable.

Nothing's going to change for the most of us.

Gracious Tycoon

Haha, they're trying to ban anime on TBP and Nyaa.

Good luck with that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces