Welcome to Gaia! ::

Brelise's Boyfriend

Aged Ladykiller

An injury etc.?
So I went in for my scan on my left ankle, which apparently has a broken piece of bone floating around (causing pain and such).
The doc sent me to the foot surgeon and they took a look at the report.
The injury is from doing sports, who knows when it happened but I love my sports and was super active up until I injured myself.

Anyways, they said it was too complicated to operate on, and there may be early arthritis etc. Which is fine, I totally understand and trust my professional. However he told me that all the sports I've been working hard in all my life, shouldn't be done anymore, and that I need to change up my life. >_< Forever. He told me to deal with it. Alright, facts are laid down.
I had a little break down at the office, like a pile of bricks, the reality hasn't completely hit me yet.
Super crappy, but everything you worked for, stopped by and injury. Damn, what a downer.

Have you ever had something happen to you that made you have to change your life?
Injuries, emotional trauma, anything like that?

Total 360 time for me, gotta keep the chin up though and I'm never going to stop driving my standard scream

Omnipresent Guardian

Have you ever had something happen to you that made you have to change your life?

Multiple times when it comes to emotional trauma. Losing my mother at a young age can be considered an example.
I had an ex-boyfriend who tried to get all my long time friends to hate me, who forced me into things I didn't want to do, wouldn't let me shower by myself, etc. There is quite a list, and that is just some of the things.
I'm still sorting through everything that happened, and it is taking a while.

edit:
I forgot to mention how I changed my life due to this.
Well, losing my mother does change a lot of things. My dad had to learn how to be a mom and a dad, as well as take care of me and my sister.
My ex-boyfriend...well I had to leave a state I enjoyed living in out of fear? I guess that counts.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
My aunt once told me, to paraphrase, that if my arms were ever cut off, I should simply hold a sword in my teeth and continue to practice.

Brelise's Boyfriend

Aged Ladykiller

Flat Panorama

Multiple times when it comes to emotional trauma. Losing my mother at a young age can be considered an example.
I had an ex-boyfriend who tried to get all my long time friends to hate me, who forced me into things I didn't want to do, wouldn't let me shower by myself, etc. There is quite a list, and that is just some of the things.

I'm sorry to hear that =/
It's intense what you think your brain is actually holding in for you while you're going through that.
It must have been an uphill battle for you.
People are monster, and what they'll do to other people. Controlling monsters.

How did you deal with all of that?

Brelise's Boyfriend

Aged Ladykiller

Raven Winter
My aunt once told me, to paraphrase, that if my arms were ever cut off, I should simply hold a sword in my teeth and continue to practice.

Haha I totally agree, never give up doing what you love.
I'm pretty stubborn, so I'm still out there on the field, pain or not.

Omnipresent Guardian

Xadel
Flat Panorama

I'm sorry to hear that =/
It's intense what you think your brain is actually holding in for you while you're going through that.
It must have been an uphill battle for you.
People are monster, and what they'll do to other people. Controlling monsters.

How did you deal with all of that?

It surprises me that I have never had a complete breakdown over it. There is just so much that happened that I just ask myself "How in the world did I get out of that?". I guess I got lucky when it came to getting out of it, I suppose.
It kinda was an uphill battle. My dad also viewed him like the son he never had, as well as a good role model, which didn't help. He never truly knew what happened between him and I, and still don't. I'm also still repairing the friendships that got ruined due to that relationship.

It's sad what people will do to others.

I guess the way I deal with it is by talking to my current boyfriend about it. He doesn't share the same experiences, but he does let me ramble about it, and reassures me that it wasn't my fault what happened. I also wrote out a poem (I guess that is what you can call it) about what happened, and that helped me with getting it out of my system and not keeping it completely bottled up.
4 years into our marriage, we discovered that Hubby had severe PTSD. Literally everything in our lives stopped and everything became about helping him through it. It took like 6 years and was AWFUL as s**t, and all the stuff we had planned, the second baby we wanted to have, the careers we wanted, the house and car we wanted, literally everything was just *poof*. There was other more important things to worry about. We're only now just barely getting back on our feet, and it's not in the same place we were before!

Kirai Nenshou's Fangirl

Star

13,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Noble Shade 100
My cousins ex gf was an amazing dancer andher teacher made her do this one move that now will cause her pain for the rest of her life and if she were to have gotten pregnant then she would be bed ridden till birth. After a while she had to stop doing a lot of the things she loved and has had many surgeries. My cousin got fed up having to stay inside or relaxing all day that he left her.
ACL injury and resulting nerve damage (although superficial) forced me to stop doing something I loved.

As far as emotional things. Rape changed me a lot. So did practically watching a guy die in front of me after he fell down into a gully I was hiking up.

Beloved Giver

3,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
My favourite thing in the world, and the only thing I've ever wanted to do with my life is be a bodybuilder. I love the discipline, and the confidence that comes with it, I'm not exactly an arrogant person, so I could really use it, just so i'm not self-conscious all the time.
I'm very dedicated when I really want to go for something, so the diet and exercise being consistent wasn't an issue for me.
One year in, I've actually put on a lot of muscle for someone my age, really quickly, and people are paying me compliments, and I'm feeling healthier as well, life is good! biggrin
Another year later, my wrists are cracking constantly, my large intestine has been dislodged, I've had two operations, and I've been diagnosed with a genetic condition that means my connective tissues overstretch, so heavy lifting hurts my organs, and my joints.

My other main hobby? Guitar.
Can't practice more than 20 minutes without my wrist and fingers seizing up because of the hypermobility.

It's pretty s**t, if I'm honest.

Adorable Fisher

I had to stop doing ballet at 13 when I messed up my ankle to the point of no return. I also broke the same ankle years later and ended up in a wheelchair for four months. That was a pretty big game changer, I had to change everything in my life. Illness also has changed my life, and soon I'll be saying hello to a wheelchair again but this time because chronic illness has made me weak on the daily. That's different, too. Pretty soon the bane of my life is going to be the little lip in doorways that nobody ever notices but prove a huge challenge when you're in a self-powered wheelchair. Stupid little lip hills, I curse you. But its been pretty different, from being a 13 year old athlete (ballet people are athletes) to now needing a wheelchair whenever I go out and then who knows where this illness will take me. I used to be able to run faster than all of my friends and now I'll be able to go faster than them with wheels.

There are just some things that we can't change in this life. Injury is one of them. You won't be able to do the sports you love, but maybe this permanent injury will open you up to new opportunities that you never dreamed you'd like before and indeed may never have discovered otherwise. There is still a world out there for you to discover, just in a different way. Its difficult to be optimistic when something is yanked away from you, but in time you may heal emotionally and see that there's still a good world out there to enjoy without doing sports. Who knows, you may even be able to channel your love of sports into sports a different way than participating directly in them, like you could become a sports writer or reporter, a coach, or even a sports injury special physical therapist helping others so they don't end up permanently injured, too. Who knows?

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Xadel
Raven Winter

Haha I totally agree, never give up doing what you love.
I'm pretty stubborn, so I'm still out there on the field, pain or not.

If you dedicate your life to something, you should dedicate your death to it as well. If you intend to die doing that thing, then nothing less than that will be able to stop you.

Of course, that might be a rather extreme philosophy in the world of sports. xd

Cluttered Cutesmasher

In terms of physical injury, only temporarily. I basically had a severe and strange form of Talipes, or clubbed feet. This should of been picked up when I was a baby, instead healthcare 'professionals' ignored my parent's asking for help until I was 9. That's how it ended up as bad as it was, because it was ignored for so long. Ended up having Ponseti method treatment (though my casts were left on for 6 weeks at a time, not a week, due to the severity) for many years which was bloody painful, spent a lot of time in and out of wheelchair for the next 3 years. Then had a Achilles tendon tenotomy, except one of my feet was so bad they couldn't do it as a keyhole surgery like they usually do and had to cut my foot open to sort it out.

I'm fine now though, I walk normally.

Spoopy Kitten

Sooo many things have made a huge impact on my life. I have a 12 level spinal fusion when i was 15. When i was 13/14 i was sexually abused. Both still effect me to this day, and most likely always will
I had to stop snowboarding after I tore the muscles in my thigh. My legs bent so backwards that my feet contacted the back of my head, and due to the positioning of my right leg, a significant amount of muscle tore which causes chronic pain, and makes me have a limp on long work days when I'm on my feet all day.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff