Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
"...I'll be fine," she said firmly.

Laurel was not about to spill her pathetic life story out to this stranger, but she was not going to be told when she could or could not go home. If they knew where she lived, they would have gotten her before this. Or they did not want witnesses, like her neighbors, when there were so few people on the train this time of night. But he was right. There was a connection between the two of them, something had happened to them that changed them, probably forever.

"If you...want to come with me, that's okay," Laurel said after a moment.

She was insane, obviously. Certifiably insane if she was inviting some stranger to come back to her apartment with her. But Darien was not really some stranger. He was like her, albeit his tattoo was different. But she was going home, she was changing her clothes, she was eating ice cream and she was going to go to bed and forget that the day had ever happened. She hated violence so much.

"But I can't not go home. I need to be able to get changed in the morning for work."
Darien let out a sigh, she seemed to be in a type of denial about the severity of the situation, but he couldn't force her to do anything, he wasn't that kind of guy. When she offered for him to tag along with her, he couldn't find a reason not to. He wanted to make sure she got home fine at least, but he figured he wouldn't stay -inside-.

"Fine." He grumbled and continued, "I'll walk you back to your place and chill outside till morning. Agreed?" He stated more as a fact than a question.

He stayed on the streets often enough to not have an issue staying out, and he wasn't about to let this girl out of his sight.

((Sorry for quality, getting back in the groove.)

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
She just kind of nodded, and made sure that she had everything before she began to walk out of the alley, trying to get her bearings. Laurel needed to figure out where she was, looking around before she decided on a direction and began walking. It was only another ten blocks to her own apartment, but the quality of the buildings around them would change not in age, but in quality. They were not the city-sponsored buildings that housed tens of apartments and tenement buildings, but more of the antique buildings that had escaped the ravages of city planning.

The building she eventually took them to was one in a number of old row houses, looking shabby but not too run down. She stopped in front of one with white siding and black shutters, and unlocked the door. In the foyer, there was a set of steps going up and then a hallway going back into the old house that had been cut up into apartments. Laurel checked her little mail box in the foyer, and then went upstairs, going to the door on the right, marked as 2B, and began unlocking the bottom lock and the dead bolt above it.

Turning, she glanced at Darien, then looked him over once again for weapons before opening her door, "...Come on in."

Laurel stepped inside and sighed at the comfort that her apartment brought. It was small, just a bedroom, a bathroom, a kitchen and a miniscule living room, but the living room had two windows that faced the street and she had flower boxes outside that would have flowers in them come spring. The kitchen had a small aga stove, and a single sink, but there was a dish tub waiting to be used, and a full sized refrigerator waiting for her. There was a used but clean couch in the living room with a scuffed, old coffee table in front of it, a small television, and several bookshelves stuffed full of books of every genre, from child psychology text books to romance novels with tawdry covers.

Nothing seemed to be out of place, so she put her bag on a hook near the door, her keys tossed inside. She hung her badge on another hook and next to that went her coat. Leaning down, she unzipped her boots and stepped out of them, walking them back to her bedroom. Her bedroom was nothing spectacular either, and a little girly, despite how she looked. A floral bedspread in gray and blue and black, a window with curtains over it, a small gray cat snoozing on the end of the bed. Laurel came to the door of her bedroom, looking out.

"You can have a seat or something," she said, before closing the door.

She took a moment to pet the purring cat, and changed her clothing, a pair of comfortable pajama pants and ridiculously fluffy rabbit slippers to replace her skirt and tights, and she came back out, the cat following her. The small animal went over to Darien and began sniffing him over, and Laurel went into the kitchen.

"...Are you hungry or anything?"
Darien shrugged up his shoulders and followed Laurel along quietly. He figured it would be best to keep the volume down, since they would probably end up talking about their strange powers and if someone were to overhear and report them, who knew where they could end up? Laurel slowed to look up at a decent looking building before heading up and into it. He stopped at the door for a moment and looked around the street for anything suspicious, but nothing caught his eye. As he neared Laurel once more she turned and gave him a once-over, he didn't expect to be trusted that quick, so it didn't much bother him.

Darien's eyebrows rose as he stepped into the cozy apartment, something he hadn't been around for some time now. Laurel went off on her own to go about her business and Darien simply stood just inside the doorway, looking about a tad awkwardly. He wasn't exactly clean, nor were his shoes or clothes, so he didn't particularly want to get anything dirty as he was a guest, no matter how juvenile he was at times. "Er..." is all Darien got out before she retreated to her room for a few moments. He stood in his same spot until she came back out, not exactly comfortable, that much was obvious. His stomach had been grumbling for hours, so the mention of food quickly snapped him out of his stasis, "Food would be great, yeah." He said, slowly loosening up a bit.

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
Somehow, an encounter just doing her job had turned into having a stranger in her apartment. Laurel was not certain how it had all happened, but she knew that her desire to know more about someone like her was probably responsible. She sighed softly and knew that she was probably getting into trouble she could not even imagine, especially since she had been attacked on the train the way she had been. Her tattoo was pulsing a bit as she thought about it, not painfully, just reminding her it was there, as if she needed to be reminded that she was insanely powerful and terrified of it all.

Leaning over, she pulled some items out of the fridge. Tomorrow would have to be grocery day, it seemed. There was very little left in her fridge aside from eggs, beer, and the food she had planned to make dinner out of. Laurel pulled out one of the beers and glanced over her shoulder, then pulled out a second one, holding it out to him as an offer. If he was not interested, she would put it back in the fridge, no hurt feelings. But it felt like the kind of night that a beer was necessary.

She twisted the top open on her own, then began chopping up the green and red peppers she had pulled out of the fridge, and then worked on the chicken, tossing it into the pan and getting it going over the heat. The cat came over and curled around her feet, and she picked a chunk of chicken out of the pan and put it down on the floor. The cat instantly attacked it, despite having a prominently displayed and full food dish and water dish on the kitchen floor. Laurel took a moment to crouch down and pet the cat's head.

"This is Milton," she said, introducing her pet to her company.

Laurel went back to cooking, throwing spices and the peppers into the pan, as well as a whole jalapeno, and then let it simmer on the stove as she leaned against one counter and sipped her beer. Her jaw ached, a memory of the bar, and she opened the freezer and pulled out an ice pack, putting it against her jaw as she went back to her beer.

"How did you figure out what you could do?" she asked after a moment. "Mine just started manifesting when something was across the room and I wanted it but hadn't gotten up to get it. It came right over."
The sight of a nice cold bear alone was astonishingly refreshing, and drinking it would only be better. Darien offered a nod and smile, "Thanks." walking over to her to retrieve the beer. He popped the cap off and took a hearty swig, the cool liquid chilling his throat and making him feel just right. When he looked down to see the cat she mentioned, he crouched down and slowly opened his hand, holding out it out a short distance from the cat, "Milton, huh? Cute lil' guy."

The food she was preparing perked his interest, as he was quite the fan of spicy foods, but more specifically any and all kinds of peppers. He stood once more after inspecting the cat and took another drink before leaning against the nearby wall, "Well I couldn't control it for a while. It just started to happen in my sleep, whenever I would have a dream of falling. You know, that cliche s**t. Anyway yeah, I would be falling, falling, wake up, and actually fall a few feet to the floor anywhere within like two blocks of my place. Eventually I figured out how to kind of control it, but the pain it causes isn't really rewarding, so I only use it if I have to. Your power definitely seems more... useful." Darien smirked and tilted his bottle to her, "Cheers to us for bein' freaks, eh?"

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
The cat trotted over to Darien and sniffed his fingers before rubbing his face against his hand. Laurel sipped her beer, not moving out of the kitchen, not leaving the safety of it when he began talking about his powers and how they manifested. She shook her head.

"I don't think it's useful. I think it's terrifying. I don't use it. Not unless I have to. Not unless someone moves against me first. I don't want to hurt anyone, not even scum like the guy who attacked me tonight in the bar. It scares the hell out of me, being able to do this. I don't want to have this kind of power, and I don't want the responsibility of having something like this. Something that can hurt people so easily."

She turned away from him and stirred the simmering meat and sighed quietly, "I can't stand violence against people. Not when they can't defend themselves. And who could defend themselves from me now? Nobody."

Laurel got out tortillas and spooned the filling into them, wrapping them tightly and quickly poured some enchilada sauce over them and some cheese and popped it into the oven to warm through completely. She got out plates and forks, and sipped her beer again, putting the food on plates and handing him one. She then sat down on the chair, leaving the entire couch for him.

"Sorry, I don't really have a table, so I eat off the coffee table like a savage."

Milton came over to her and began purring, interested in what she was eating. A faint smile came to her face, "Back off, fur face. This isn't for kitties."
Darien smiled at the cat while he listened to Laurel. She definitely seemed less than happy about her new abilities, but she continued on into quite the righteous and kindhearted feelings she had about her power and how she was afraid of it. This didn't quite register with Darien considering he had known a much darker world than she seemed to perceive. The world wasn't full of butterflies and rainbows, but she had a heart that belonged in such a place.

In a slight effort to comfort her concern, Darien scoffed, "You mean you don't -know- anyone that can defend themselves against you, except me of course. Look at the bigger picture here. You know as well as I do that there is no way we are the only two people in the world that ended up like this, there's just no way. There are going to be people that are more dangerous than you, and mean to be that way. It's cool that you're so kindhearted, but you aren't in a place where you can afford that as much anymore." A little dose of reality never hurt, though he did feel like he came off a bit dickish.

Darien followed and took a seat on the sofa, chuckling at her comment about being savage for eating at a coffee table, "Better than the floor though." He offered a smile before taking a bite of the rather delicious meal, "This is great, thanks." His table manners weren't exquisite, but he new to compliment a chef.

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
"There's always room to be kindhearted," Laurel said, shaking her head. She believed that wholeheartedly.

She decided not to give him the lecture on the fact that she was aware that the world was horrible. There was no use in telling him stories of children who came in missing eyes because of cruel parents, of disfigured wives, of babies scalded with water to stop their crying. She reached up to touch the scar on her face, not wanting share about that either. Instead she just stuck with what she felt. That there had to be kind hearts in the world, or it was not worth being in, not worth saving one little bit at a time.

"Thank you. I don't cook much for visitors, but I don't want to make bland food for myself. Life's too short to eat nothing but salads and yogurt, right?"

Laurel finished eating and went back to her beer, "The couch pulls out into a bed. I've got some extra bedding for it, so you don't have to curl up in a ball on the couch or in the chair or anything."

She got up, putting her plate in the sink and rinsing it off with water. Milton rubbed against her ankles and she gave him a can of cat food on a little plate, which he instantly sat down and ate. Laurel then went to the linen closet and got him sheets, blankets, and a pillow, and set them down in the chair. She sat on the arm of the chair, pushing a few pieces of hair away from her glasses.

"I know it's rude, but I really need to get some work done tonight. So remote's there. I don't have cable, but I've got a lot of DVDs. You should be able to find something to watch. There's the books too, if you prefer to read."
Darien smirked at her response, she had a good heart, as did he, his just wasn't quite as apparent. Darien always meant well when people deserved it, but he was by no means an innocent man. "True enough." He replied to her first statement, following up with, "I mean salads are good, never had yogurt, and I tend to live off soup and cup-o-noodles. I can't say my diet is stellar." He offered a slight chuckle before eyeballing the couch, "I appreciate it, thanks."

Laurel continued on with offering this and that, which was something Darien wasn't quite accustomed to, so it was quite refreshing. He simply nodded when she finished but raised a thumb to point over his shoulder, "That sounds great, but if you don't mind, I think I'll take a quick walk around the block, I just want to make sure... you know?" Darien would be lying if he said he wasn't a bit nervous at the fact that those men from earlier could have found out where they had gone. The fact that they hadn't quite seen his face made him feel better, but Laurel was still unsafe.

He pushed himself to his feet and looked to Laurel, "I'll be back in ten. I'll give a whistle after I knock so you know it's me, cool?"

Sweet Bibliophile

9,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Bookworm 100
"...If it will make you feel better, I suppose you should," she replied.

Laurel nodded, and unlocked the door for him, "Be careful Darien."

It was the first time she had said his name. She almost grinned, if only because it was a name she had read in numerous romance novels. Laurel had been unaware she would ever actually meet someone with that name. But she kept that to herself, and she let him out the door and locked it safely behind him. When it was locked again, she sighed, and leaned back against the door, closing her eyes. It was going to be okay. It had to be.

After her little moment of self-affirmation, Laurel went to the couch and moved the coffee table, removing the cushions and pulling out the seldom used bed, getting it straightened out. She put on the sheets she had gotten out, laughing as Milton hopped in and decided to get made into the bed. Eventually she picked him up and finished, making the bed up neatly and welcoming. It also put to rest any thought that she might have brought him back there to hit on him.

Laurel went to her bedroom and got the laptop set up, opening her case files. She filled in that she had served that a*****e with his papers, so she had work in the office in the morning, home visits in the afternoon. Hopefully his walk and nobody coming after her during the night would appease Darien's need to make sure she was safe. Milton hopped on the bed, and she stroked his fur gently, thinking about the fact that Darien obviously had a good heart. It was just hidden under hard, rough edges.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff