Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you buy art on Gaia?

Yes! A lot! 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 6 ]
Occasionally 0.35185185185185 35.2% [ 19 ]
I prefer getting free art 0.27777777777778 27.8% [ 15 ]
No I just don't need it 0.25925925925926 25.9% [ 14 ]
Total Votes:[ 54 ]
1 2 3 >

Hello GCD, I hope this is the right place to post this!

I was wondering what preferences you have for buying art so I have a few starting questions and any discussion about art on gaia is welcome emotion_yatta

Do you buy art on gaia?

Simple question haha. If not, why not?

How much do you usually spend on art?

Millions? Billions? This crazy inflation has left us all feeling a bit confused and irritated, but are you still using your gold to buy art? Do you spend more on art than items? Can you not afford it anymore so regularly frequent the Art Freebies forum?

What style do you prefer to buy?

Do you prefer to buy line-art and colour yourself or find someone else to do it for you? Do you prefer clean lines and clean colouring? Realism? Anime style? Sketches? Digital? Traditional? All thoughts here are welcome since there's no way I can suggest all of the art forms available to purchase here haha.

Where do you buy from?

Do you prefer art shops? Auctions? Freebies? Do you set up a request thread?

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Fuzzy Faun

I buy art when I can.

Usually it's just of my OC Slick Southpaw and snakebro Jor.

There are loads of people who can't/refuse to draw anything that isn't kawaii desu give me diabeetus cute. So, my usual requirements are this:

-can draw muscular hairy men (if just looking for a bust)
-fine with drawing a snake
-capable of drawing faun legs if full body

Generally I pay anywhere from 6bil to 40bil+ for art.

Most of the time I have to really hunt people down.

Tricky Cat

I'm on the look out for someone to draw my boyfriend's character while I study male anatomy because men are so square. Took up a trip to borders and sat down with a page of male torso muscles for a while before I finally understood how the deltoid works.

My requirements for who I'm going to buy art from:
-Can draw better or on par to what I do
-Can digitally paint with skill
-Good usage of color
-Good expressions; non-flat emotions

I'll always try to pay well, but considering its like 5-10 bucks for 100bil now, I feel like I'm scamming an artist, but I'm on a college student fund so I can't pay with USD.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
I've never bought art on Gaia (or anywhere online) because I never know what to do with them other than save them to my Photobucket account (I'm not the kind of person who would put art in their signature). Plus, I'd rather use my gold to buy items than art.

Wheezing Member

I don't buy art simply because I am capable of drawing my own crap.
Even if it's not as good, it just makes me feel like I'm wastin money to buy from someone else.

Also I don't have any money.
emotion_awesome

..also I change my appearance so often I don't really see a point.

Madam Ace's Compadre

Shady Man-Lover

i've only bought art once (cause i'm ugly a** broke 99% of the time) and i bought pixels, since it's the only type of art i have no patient for to do it myself.
man i'm glad my friend told me about osonio's art shop being opened at that time cause i've been trying to chase him down.

though, i'd buy art more often if i had the gold for sure OTL

Golden Gawker

>>>: (heeeey yoooou ;D)

Nope
None
Everything
Nobody

Seriously though, I've never felt the need to buy art on Gaia as I draw my own,
but if I would, I'd probably not spend too much since I don't want that much for
the art I make. I make art for fun, not for a "living". Therefore I think art trades
are much more fun to do, even though some artists are a bit diva-ish and think
their art is worth more than yours because they don't like your style.
To them I say poo on you and you don't know if that stick figure was difficult for me to draw! ò nó
But really, some people need to get off their imaginary high horse and have a
bit more fun with the art they make instead of just seeing it as something they
have to do to get gold, save that way of thinking for real life where it's actually needed.
rofl

Skylex Nevaeh's Husband

Shirtless Demon

17,050 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I normally don't buy art because I don't really need it. However, I am writing a short novel so it would be nice to have a few pieces of reference art since I suck at drawing myself. But other than that, I really don't need it so it's a little unnecessary for me to go out of my way to buy overpriced artwork. I know art lasts longer than the site will, but I still prefer having items over art. ^_^; I don't say no to free art of course so I'll pop in if I like the artist's style, but I'm saving up for alchemy so I have no plans to buy art.

Demonic Lover

I rarely buy art > 3<; when I do I try to offer above what others do (wich is impossible for really popular artists). I like the stuff many others here hate XD;;; I love chibis and the anime look, moe anime look XD it's what I like!

Realism, semi realism... that's stuff's not for me, I don't think in my Viv in terms of a real person, she can very well be an anime character though C: so that's what I buy~

Witty Bibliophile

11,975 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
I like avatar art; but I haven't bought any in a while or frequented the freebies forum. Maybe it's because I'm drawing my own now and all my preferred shops are full or charging billions. Either way, the last piece of art I commissioned was a headshot of my avatar which I use in my signature. It cost me about 300+ million and that was before all the muti-billion and trillion generators came out. I also prefer RL commissions right now because it feels skeevy to ask someone to draw me a good piece of art for unstable virtual currency. I can keep a piece of art on the hard-drive forever; but the artists will lose all that virtual gold/items if Gaia shuts down.☼
flamingos all I see are flamingos emotion_zzz
Slick Southpaw
I buy art when I can.

Usually it's just of my OC Slick Southpaw and snakebro Jor.

There are loads of people who can't/refuse to draw anything that isn't kawaii desu give me diabeetus cute. So, my usual requirements are this:

-can draw muscular hairy men (if just looking for a bust)
-fine with drawing a snake
-capable of drawing faun legs if full body

Generally I pay anywhere from 6bil to 40bil+ for art.

Most of the time I have to really hunt people down.

I know, so much kawaiiii desuuuu emotion_donotwant
But I guess that's just because people like doing that sort of stuff and there's a market for it, so I can see why you have trouble finding people!
Riot Jinx
I'm on the look out for someone to draw my boyfriend's character while I study male anatomy because men are so square. Took up a trip to borders and sat down with a page of male torso muscles for a while before I finally understood how the deltoid works.

My requirements for who I'm going to buy art from:
-Can draw better or on par to what I do
-Can digitally paint with skill
-Good usage of color
-Good expressions; non-flat emotions

I'll always try to pay well, but considering its like 5-10 bucks for 100bil now, I feel like I'm scamming an artist, but I'm on a college student fund so I can't pay with USD.

Yeah I feel i struggle with muscle structure and things so I feel your pain! I'm starting illustration at degree level in September though and the first year is basically just learning how to draw properly and stuff so hopefully I'll improve and do s**t loads of life drawing haha

I think that's a very good checklist to have haha!
Do you prefer a certain style > another? Like, anime or sketchy or realism or anything like that? (:

Yeah I know the feeling, but if people are willing to do it then don't feel bad!

Handsome Man-Lover

As someone who draws and sells that service both on gaia for monopoly money/items and irl for cold hard cash, I rarely feel the desire to commission anyone else for something I can do myself. And if I feel someone is a lot better at drawing a particular style than me, it makes me want to strive to improve instead of asking them to draw for me XD

I'll occassionally ask people whose art I like if they'd be willing to do an art trade, but that's about it. I have a great appreciation for art and love unique styles, but I don't like to ask people to draw my OCs or avatars, because as I said above, I'd rather improve by trying myself. When I do commission someone or got someone to do an art trade with me I tend to ask for fanart.
Sakura Latte
I've never bought art on Gaia (or anywhere online) because I never know what to do with them other than save them to my Photobucket account (I'm not the kind of person who would put art in their signature). Plus, I'd rather use my gold to buy items than art.

I see! Thanks for that!
At first I had no idea why on earth people would buy art online and thought it was really weird, but I started being offered some art trades when I started selling my own work and it was really thrilling to see your OC interpreted by someone else.
Never got that feeling with avatars really though, so I can see where you're coming from!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff