Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Notice me, LD. At all.

Pfft. 1 100.0% [ 42 ]
Total Votes:[ 42 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 >

Girl

I see it as more of a "Hello" type of greeting then them actually asking how you are.

What annoys me is when someone replies with an honest answer on how they're actually doing and the person asking for some reason gets personally offended at their response. They always expect someone to say "Good" or "Fine".

Adventuring Explorer

36,400 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Healer 50
I found the question very aggreviating when I was depressed. No one could take an honest answer, and it was depressing my life was so miserable I had to lie about it.

I started answering ‘same old‘, which was true soon enough.

Now Im probably the happiest Ive been in 20 years. Im still tense most of the time but Im okay with my life now, which is a huge improvement.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Foxydoe
Raven Winter
This question is usually a formality; those who ask it usually don't actually want you to give them an honest answer so much as to move the conversation a couple sentences forward.

I see.

Don't worry, I don't use it that way. My dad was really picky about that.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
GhostlyMark
many relatives use that with me

UncleWhoAreYou: How are you
Me: Fine
UncleWhoAreYou: You doing good in school?
Me: Yep
UncleWhoAreYou: good job
Me: ....

this happens almost every time

Good homework?

Invisible Humorist

Raven Winter
GhostlyMark
many relatives use that with me

UncleWhoAreYou: How are you
Me: Fine
UncleWhoAreYou: You doing good in school?
Me: Yep
UncleWhoAreYou: good job
Me: ....

this happens almost every time

Good homework?

mad

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Shark Bacon
Haha, right?

They don't want to hear "Well, my life is shitty and I hate everyone right now, here's what's going on."

Because you're supposed to say "Oh, I'm fine, how are you?"

Weird.

As for me, I'm partially miserable because of work, but I got a raise yesterday, so I can't honestly complain that much. My boss is a super mega hyper c**t that hates me and won't approve my vacation time, but corporate decided to pass out some money, so...

How are you?

My dad used to tell me that when his co-workers asked him that, he'd respond by asking if they really wanted to know or were just being polite. I guess that's a decent enough response.

Personally, I'm just a bit put out by my inability to find employment. I finally had an interview last week and they ended up changing their mind. Who even does that? So that foils basically all the plans I've been waiting to start acting towards. :T

Hygienic Member

one time when i was really really depressed, like at my lowest point there was a cashier that asked me how i was like 'i'm good..... i'm alright...... i don't know.......' and then i almost started crying in the store and the cashier looked extremely freaked out which made me realise no one really gives a s**t.

i try to be sincere when i ask people how they are though, now, cause its kind of a shitty feeling being on the verge of tears and have some one look at you like you have antlers and an elephant trunk.

Magical Tree

In English - "How are you?" is a greeting. Much like "how do you do" used to be.
It seems we like to have a few speaking turns in our greetings and leave takings (have you counted how many times you say bye, or bye on the phone?)

In other languages - this pattern is not the same.
I generally say "I'm doing well" or "I'm fine". I guess the question becomes uncomfortable when you're not doing or feeling so well and you really don't know how to answer. You want to say "I'm fine" when your face clearly depicts something else.
yeah.

well.

most people don't really give a s**t about other people in general, imo.
The Forbidden Soul
User Image
User ImageUser Image

Ugh I hate having to answer that question.
They expect you to ask it back, and then when you do they loop it again.
Jim:"Oh hey how are you?"
Me:"Good and you?"
Jim:"Im doing good, how about you?"
neutral

User ImageUser Image

Yeah, basic human interactions are hard.

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
I hate being asked "how are you", because most of the time the answer is "not good" but then if I do say that people aren't expecting that and don't know how to respond to it and then things just get awkward.

Plus most of the time people don't give a s**t about how you are, and then have to nerve to feel disrespected or offended when you don't give them the answer they were looking for.

side note: I feel like the question "how have you been" seems a little more personal like you genuinly care how that person has been doing.

Shirtless Raider

I'm always caught off guard when people I don't know ask me how I'm doing. I only ever initiate asking when it's someone I know and actually care about how they are.

Raven Winter
Personally, I'm just a bit put out by my inability to find employment. I finally had an interview last week and they ended up changing their mind. Who even does that? So that foils basically all the plans I've been waiting to start acting towards. :T

Sadly a lot of places. A similar thing happened to me recently. My friend who works for a local grocery store told me she's seen her boss tell three different people they had a job there and then never put them on the schedule. I also know of quite a few chain stores that always have a hiring sign but aren't actually hiring anyone. Maybe it makes them look good to be hiring?

Tipsy Kitten

I had a class with this guy until he dropped it where if you asked him "how are you" he would go into this long tangent about how awful he actually is, how he used to get beaten, blah blah blah. We quickly learned not to ask him that. I was happy he dropped the class.

I ask customers that all day long.

Invisible Senshi

I guess if you say that you are "good," then you might feel a little better. (Well, if you TRY...)

I usually answer with, "Oh, I'm good" or "Oh, I'm great! And you?"
I never really get a response other than, "I'm good."

It's weird...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out