Welcome to Gaia! ::

Calling this a problem may be a stretch.
So let's go back to TLA where every single (main) antagonist in the show had a very evident, very well known end game. Like...we pretty much knew early on exactly what these folk were trying to achieve with the whole "kill/capture the avatar" thing.

Zuko wanted his honor and to be able to return home
Azula was ordered to kill/capture aang for the sake of Aang not thwarting the Fire Lord
Ozai wanted to make firebending the supreme bending (aka, wipe out any other type of bending p. much) aaand he wanted Aang dead so he could achieve that.

And we typically knew this information (sans the whole "wipe out the earth kingdom" bit) pretty early on imo.

With LoK
Amon..clear endgame. Remove bending, remove Korra's bending...even though his vision seemed small scoped...considering the world is huge and it's been proven he isn't powerful enough to achieve that plan...

Tarrlok..just a dumbass

Unalaq..we always figured he wanted to control Korra in some way..but I'd argue we didn't learn of his true intentions till a little late in the game. Fuse with Vaatu and revolutionize the avatar

This group of villains? All we know is that they want Korra dead...why? Not sure..I would've preferred they expand on their motives a LOT more instead of spend quite a few of these episodes on Korra simply recruiting Opal...even though I enjoyed them.
It just makes them seem like a bunch of sitting ducks.
I'm assuming Zaheer has some radically spiritual reasoning..but some insight would be cool.

TL;DR.
Either I'm just spoiled cause A:TLA always made the villains intentions clear...or we're just not getting enough of the motive behind why these 4 benders are after Korra and I feel that's hurting season 3.
Not that season 3 is going poorly. I'm already placing it above 1&2 (2 being the loser of the pack). I just need these villains to become a little bit more than overpowered assholes.

Invisible Humorist

i think by season one you should have assumed how the writers were gonna introduce villains for Korra..literally every season you had to watch most of the episodes to understand what their motives. For ATLA, the story was more about Aang and friend's adventures leading up to the big battle. So they just threw in "you gotta beat Ozai before sozin's comet or he'll rule the world" or something on those lines

were we spoiled? eh i guess you could say that
GhostlyMark
i think by season one you should have assumed how the writers were gonna introduce villains for Korra..literally every season you had to watch most of the episodes to understand what their motives. For ATLA, the story was more about Aang and friend's adventures leading up to the big battle. So they just threw in "you gotta beat Ozai before sozin's comet or he'll rule the world" or something on those lines

Well with Amon's the wait didn't seem forever and at least with Unalaq there was enough mystery behind it all to keep us hooked..
These bad guys are literally just there. Nothing strikes me as mysterious, they're leaving no impression on me anymore. Sigh

Invisible Humorist

DrunkBlackDocta
GhostlyMark

Well with Amon's the wait didn't seem forever and at least with Unalaq there was enough mystery behind it all to keep us hooked..
These bad guys are literally just there. Nothing strikes me as mysterious, they're leaving no impression on me anymore. Sigh

i agree that they are not as mysterious as the other two
it pisses me off more that there are 3 more episodes left and we are left with the stand still (thank you ******** nickelodeon)

Either this season falls flat or they use season 4 to continue this story (which i doubt)
GhostlyMark
DrunkBlackDocta
GhostlyMark

it pisses me off more that there are 3 more episodes left and we are left with the stand still (thank you ******** nickelodeon)

Either this season falls flat or they use season 4 to continue this story (which i doubt)

I seriously, SERIOUSLY pray they just continue the story into season 4.
Maybe I'm in the minority but the writers simply aren't top notch at creating compelling, effective, and well done stories that begin and conclude within 12-14 episodes.

They need more time to develop the plot imo.
Maybe if they had a 20 episode slot rather than this bullshit 14 episodes that Nick gave them..but I haven't genuinely been satisfied with either season so far, so I really want this one to carry on.

Invisible Humorist

DrunkBlackDocta
GhostlyMark
DrunkBlackDocta
GhostlyMark

Maybe I'm in the minority but the writers simply aren't top notch at creating compelling, effective, and well done stories that begin and conclude within 12-14 episodes.

Maybe if they had a 20 episode slot rather than this bullshit 14 episodes that Nick gave them..but I haven't genuinely been satisfied with either season so far, so I really want this one to carry on.

I don't about not being able to make a story that can last 14 episodes...i wanna think that this whole Korra production took them by surprise after season one and they are just rolling with the flow right now.
GhostlyMark
DrunkBlackDocta
GhostlyMark
DrunkBlackDocta
GhostlyMark

I don't about not being able to make a story that can last 14 episodes...i wanna think that this whole Korra production took them by surprise after season one and they are just rolling with the flow right now.
Yeah I suppose that's a possibility...
Honestly though. After season 2 I know they were confirmed for at least 2 more seasons in comparison to "just one more" so I'd like to think that some preparation is going into this and the next.

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
We know what they want. Knowing why they want it can wait.
Klaark

It's episode 8 and we don't even have a hint as to why they're after such a thing.
That doesn't make you raise an eyebrow?

8,700 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
DrunkBlackDocta
Klaark

It's episode 8 and we don't even have a hint as to why they're after such a thing.

Nope. If they never reveal it, that would be a problem, but I'm content to wait for their motives to be revealed.

Married Pumpkin

We'll probably learn about the group in the next episode, based on the synopsis. And based on the title of the last episode of this season, it seems that the group's not going to go down easy.

Magical Lunatic

The Red Lotus (yes, that is their title) are just anarchists. They likely want the Avatar dead because the Avatar is essentially at the center of almost every war and they believe that the world would be a much better place without an Avatar. I believe it was Zaheer that explicitly mentions that they want a world without an Avatar in his introductory episode.

Look at the rest of the monarchy so far. We've had Sozin and the rulers of Ba Sing Se. When the Red Lotus gets rid of the Avatar, who is to stop them from wiping them out as well after they've taken care of the Avatar. With the Avatar gone, those four individuals would definitely be the strongest people on the entire planet.

The two-parter season finale has been spoiled with the titles "Enter the Void" and "Venom of the Red Lotus".

This likely doesn't bode well for anybody in Team Avatar and Korra will probably have another near-death experience.
Klaark
DrunkBlackDocta
Klaark

Nope. If they never reveal it, that would be a problem, but I'm content to wait for their motives to be revealed.
8 episodes in?
Ok.

3,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
Don't be so impatient. Good writing takes time to develop. Besides, it would be even more bland and boring if all of their villains progressed and were presented in the exact same manner. It's still completely open ended as to whats going to happen and how long this rag tag team of weirdo pseudo benders is going to stick around. It's obvious they have an intense amount of depth. They're supposed to raise questions.

Why doesn't the Water Bender have arms?

How can the Earth Bender create and control lava?

What is the Fire Benders connection to Combustion Man?

Their endgame is clear, kill the avatar, but there are still a million why's, and what's about this crew.
Instead of complaining about it, enjoy that we aren't just being presented with two dimensional mustache twirling villains that are cheesy and easily explained and defeated. They're completely shrouded in mystery, and I personally love it. It's my favorite new element on the show. I'm sure we'll get episodes that delve into their back story very soon. However if this never happens and they just disappear and are left the way they are now, I will eat my words and agree with you. But for now be hopeful and excited for what we have left to learn.

Adventuring Duck

You fondle my trigger...

That's actually why I like them. I think it's interesting how we know they really want Korra out of there but we have no idea why. We're led to believe they're fighting for a "good cause" but I would like to know what they think is worth murder and ending a legacy. I think they remind me a bit of Sozin and Amon. Sozin wanted to share the Fire Nation's resources, but thought a war was the way. Amon wanted equality for non-benders(in the first book we saw that there actually WAS disparity between benders and non-benders), but went about it through deceit and violence. I think not knowing what their "end" is makes watching their "means" more interesting.

...and you blame my gun

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces