Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Broke this one into two parts to cover one of the original news' stories on the subject and then a follow up story covering the teens response.

The first is the story covering the selfie pic:

Quote:

A young woman on Twitter has received an overwhelming amount of backlash recently because of a cheerful selfie she took at the Auschwitz concentration camp.

“Selfie in the Auschwitz Concentration Camp,” wrote Breanna Mitchell, who tweeted the photo on June 20.

One month later, the picture, complete with smiley face emoticon in the caption, went viral and sparked outrage among Twitter users who made the photo a trending topic on Sunday.

“@PrincessBMM How can you be happy and smile in this pic? Do you not understand the horrors and murders that happened here? I’d be crying,” one Twitter user said in response to the selfie.

“The Auschwitz Concentration Camp Selfie. A new low in vanity,” another tweeted.

“@PrincessBMM @ianbhough Did you manage to take any of you laughing inside a gas chamber or maybe one with your head stuck in a cremator?” one user added.

Since Sunday, Mitchell’s original Auschwitz selfie has generated nearly 4,000 retweets and over 2,600 favorites, with many people actually defending Mitchell on the photo.

“Taking a smiling selfie at Auschwitz? Kinda disrespectful, even if unintended. Harassing teenager online because she did it? Not okay,” a user said.

“Y’all acting like the girl took a selfie with Hitler himself, chill,” another tweeted.

Mitchell has been very vocal on Twitter about her chipper appearance during her trip to the world’s largest World War II Nazi concentration camp.

“Omg I wish people would quit tweeting to, quoting, retweeting, and favoriting my picture of my smiling in Auschwitz Concentration Camp,” Mitchell tweeted.

“Like apparently is such a big deal that I smiled. Good Lord.”

Once the attention began to pour in, Mitchell seemed to be relishing her newfound notoriety, even retweeting more than 150 of her supporters.

“I’m famous yall,” she tweeted Sunday, in reference to a Business Insider article about her selfie.
Mitchell says she took the photo in remembrance of her father, who passed away a year ago, claiming to have studied the Holocaust with him for years, according to Newsday.

“The trip actually meant something to me and I was happy about it,” she tweeted.

Source

And now the second part that covers the teens response a few days after the first stories begin to appear:

Quote:

An Alabama teen who faced criticism for posting a smiling snapshot of herself in front of the Nazi Auschwitz concentration camp, is defending her actions, saying that it was a tribute to her father who passed away.

Breanna Mitchell posted the selfie on June 20 and about a month later, it went viral.

"Honestly, I don't think I would do anything differently because I didn't mean any harm," Mitchell told TakePart Live in a video interview posted to YouTube on July 21.

On July 20, she posted on Twitter, "I'm famous y'all" as her story got picked up by media outlets.

Mitchell's example brings to light the debate over taking selfies in front of sensitive places like Auschwitz and the 9/11 Memorial Museum.

"If you're going to stick your tongue out or make a duck face in front of the World Trade Center, I think that's probably inappropriate," Lizzie Post, great-great-granddaughter of manners maven Emily Post, told ABC News.

Since the social media backlash, Mitchell has received some support from people who have seen her story in the media. Her Twitter profile is now set to private.

"The Holocaust and World War II is the only thing that's ever interested me in history," Mitchell told TakePart Live.

She said it was also her father's favorite part of history. "Whenever I graduated, [my parents] said they'd take me out of the States to go wherever I wanted. [My dad] died one year prior to that photo," Mitchell added. Source

And the image that started the whole story:

User Image

Backlash is understandable because of the apparent disrespect in a place where horrid things occurred. But to her, she did nothing wrong.

Sigh..just another Ugly American Tourist story.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
This is a Catch-22. You take a selfie, or ANY photograph of yourself, or if you take a photograph of ANYONE, what do you/they do? SMILE. Smiling the the appropriate response whenever you're in a photo. The pick itself isn't bad in the least but if she would have made the tweet longer, like I dunno "always wanted to visit this historical site. Happy to be here" or something like that, I doubt it would have been a big deal. I guess you aren't supposed to look happy at a place where bad stuff happened. But could could you imagine if she took a photo with a frown? People would have probably said "Oh, she's making fun of the Holocaust! That frown is fake!"

The other thing is that most people would look at this and be like "whatevs, she's taking a picture of herself at Auschwitz. Big deal." But media got ahold of it, said some bad things, and then alluvasudden its "okay" to bash this girl. Its mob mentality. When something gets on the news, EVERYONE sees it. At first, only a few people agree and say its bad. And then other people jump on board, and before you know it, EVERYONE is getting on this girl's case. Its a damn shame.

This girl took a photograph at a famous place that she always wanted to go to. Its not like when Bieber said he would have hoped Anne Frank would have been a Belieber...

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Maybe not the best of ideas, but I think she was expressing that she was glad to be able to visit a place that has so much history and which she and her father studied together, not gladness that the event occurred.

I doubt she meant it maliciously.
What's the controversy here? That she's smiling in a place that used to bare tragedy?

100 years from now, there will be nowhere left to smile. We'll all have to walk around with frowns.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
What's wrong with those people, do they prefer an insincere frown? She's taking a trip, she wants a pic to show friends, and of course she's happy. Going there doesn't have to be some kind of solemn pilgrimage.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I'd defend her... if she wasn't half retarded.
Not exactly the right place for a selfie. i'd be taking pictures of the various buildings and old objects...and just showing respect and understanding what went on there. one doesn't have to be in the pic itself to show you were there... 3nodding

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
I wouldn't be able to go there at all. That place has the mark of death and pain. I think it would be psychologically too much for me to handle. Even this picture is too much for me:

User Image
For me it's less the smiling than the taking a selfie. When taking a selfie, it's a vanity, it's taking something and making it about you. You're making it yours while trying to basically get likes and views. And in some places that's just not acceptable

Sugary Cat

An American tourist, yeah this somehow does not surprise me.

Undead Enchantress

So much for situational awareness.

Quotable Prophet

Oh come on! She was just smiling! It's not like she was making goofy faces or obscene gestures. Yes sure, she smiled at a sad place, but that's because she was enjoying the experience and not out of disrespect for where she was.

This isn't like that girl who took a poor pic of herself flipping off a sign at Arlington. This one did nothing disrespectful other than smile and express joy that she got to go somewhere she'd been wanting to see.

Liberal Fatcat

She couldnt have just taken photos of the camp with captions on how her father studied the atrocities and how proud he would be of her taking the trip in his honor? I dont agree with the selfie.
I got no problem with her selfie at all. Bizarre as it may be to many, her trip there more than likely brought back many fond memories of time spent with her dad and this is a way for her to remember it and, one day, show it to her kids.
Yeah, there's reasons for some selfies to be taken, and this would be one of them.
Had she taken one with her hand on the handle to gas the chamber I'd have a problem, but this one is utterly innocent and not even remotely disrespectful.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
If she had said straight up front why she was smiling this would be a non issue. Taking a single selfie is not the end is the world.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff