Welcome to Gaia! ::

4,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
When I ask why people like giant robots, I'm looking for shallow answers like "because they're just cool". I'm looking for what mechs mean to people. What do giant robots stand for in the context of our society? Why do people's interest in giant robots throughout decades? I know it seems like I'm overthinking it, but why wouldn't I be when the mecha genre has been around for so long? Especially when it comes to their depiction in anime, movies, and video games.

Quotable Lunatic

13,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Timid 100
They arouse me. emotion_dowant

Alien Cosmonaut

They're aesthetically appealing to many, and they interest people in the same way other scientific advances shown in other sci-fi media interest and inspire people to make scientific advances in real life.

Lonely Phantom

Why?
Simple. . . SHIIIIIINING FINGER
Lots of giant robot mecha shows. The appeal for me is not the robot itself but what is it capable of, what it's used for, what it can do, stuff like that.

Watching Gundam Wing a long time ago I thought each unique features was cool but what the Gundams actually symbolized was the appeal to the show. Big O looked like a fat boring mech that had really weird footstep sounds, but the capabilities and how Roger Smith piloted it was cool enough.

A few mech shows didn't stick too much with me. IdolM@sters Xenoglossia was kind of painful to watch since they personified the mechs as kinda like boyfriends. That kinda... Yeah.

Magical Lunatic

Kawaii Pyromaniac

Because chicks dig giant robots.

Dangerous Poster

15,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
They not just only cool smile , they bigger toys for manly people

Dad.Do you enjoy your new RC car son what mother purchase for you?
Son.DAD! Im bored, with that stupid RC car, i i I NEED SOMETHING BIGGER! THAN THIS
Dad.How about THIS! (Silde off blinds from window)
Son.(Look into window)WOW REAL LIFE SIZED Tengen Toppa Lagann where you get it?
Dad.JUST WHO THE H.LL DO YOU THINK I AM SON?

Scompiglio's Wife

I like the story over most things in a show. If a mech show actually has a good story, I'll enjoy it. Here's some I guess I"m not sure people know about:

1. Argento Soma - If you'll excuse it's a rather loose adaptation using Frankenstein, it does have a good story to me. Granted, the mechs are actually there for more plot related convienence than anything else.

2. Baldr Force EXE - Warning ahead of time, there is a lot that isn't covered in this four episode OVA. What is covered could make a good story though...

That's all I can think of, since Patlabor should at least be slight common knowledge for anyone into mechs that need to know the mechanics of it. As far as I'm concerned, if the mechs are part of the plot, it's good enough for me.
IN mecha shows i am always intrigued by the design and how well a pilot operates it besides would you never went to sit in one knowing you have immense power in your hands and wont use it i mean come on!

This hand of mine glows with an awesome power its roaring grip tells me to graps victory! ERUPTING BURNINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG FINGGGGGGGGGGGGGERRRRRRRRRRRRR /makes all arguments invalid k thanks.

Adult chan's Husband

Friendly Elder

I like it because it's only a matter of time before we're capable of building our own mecha.
So basically I'm attracted to how possible it is.
Giant robo anime's actually what inspired me to pursue a career as an engineer.
I'm hoping I can build my own someday.

Wolfishly Sheepish
I like it because it's only a matter of time before we're capable of building our own mecha.

The only robotics we might see are small quad-legs for urban enviorment and power suits, at most no bigger than you see in VOTOMs (IF eve that big at all). The video linked shows a very expansive toy, though god it's still the coolest thing ever after all these years, straight-up wanzer-tier sexy mecha right there.

But yeah, giant robots are pretty much not possible at all. Drones on other hand, drones are very much what Japan is crazy about and is currently building a giant army-sized amount of them. Probably planning for an engagement with China, given recent times. Man, I worry about S.Korea and US Relations though, US has really good relations with Japan and Korea BUT Japan, China, and S.Korea all hate each other to a rather large extreme and this puts the situation in a weird limbo. So yeah, as an engineer I'd say the drone field is promising right now, especially with how much broader it's becoming (to be used for more than fighting purposes). Good luck anon.

Adult chan's Husband

Friendly Elder

LegendaryRandomVIllager42
Wolfishly Sheepish

The only robotics we might see are small quad-legs for urban enviorment and power suits, at most no bigger than you see in VOTOMs (IF eve that big at all). The video linked shows a very expansive toy, though god it's still the coolest thing ever after all these years, straight-up wanzer-tier sexy mecha right there.

But yeah, giant robots are pretty much not possible at all. Drones on other hand, drones are very much what Japan is crazy about and is currently building a giant army-sized amount of them. Probably planning for an engagement with China, given recent times. Man, I worry about S.Korea and US Relations though, US has really good relations with Japan and Korea BUT Japan, China, and S.Korea all hate each other to a rather large extreme and this puts the situation in a weird limbo. So yeah, as an engineer I'd say the drone field is promising right now, especially with how much broader it's becoming (to be used for more than fighting purposes). Good luck anon.
Personal mechs are quite possible, just not practical.
They won't be as sleek, as stylish, efficient, maneuvarable or as useful as they are in anime but they are definitely possible.
They'll most likely be built for fun seeing as how impractical they'd be for any actual use.
Which is perfect for me. I have no interest in warfare or weaponry, I just want to build a mech.
It's what inspired me to become an engineer but I never planned on making mech building my career, just my hobby.
Also what I meant as giant was basically like Kuratas but slightly bigger.
Mechs the size of skyscrapers are never going too happen.
The more compact our technology is (to an extant) the better, like the drones and exoskeletons, so I agree with you on that.
Mechs will never be a viable form of warfare or battle.
Just personal projects to keep nerds busy.

Edit: to be fair i did strongly imply/state that mechs in animes were possible and that statement is wrong.
There are realistic possibilities and confines as to what mechs can be. They will never be like they are in the animes but versions like Kuratas will exist and that's what I really meant.

mabu janai's Husbando

Handsome Hero

They're just ******** cool, man. I also enjoy the science-y side of it these days.
The possibility of a full on mech designed for battle doesn't really seem too possible (or practical) but the concept is rad.

Not to mention, like... it's kinda cool seeing all kinds of different robots piloted by different people across many shows and checking out how different characters handle things.
Different tactics, different builds, different purposes, there's just a lot to see and I personally have come tor really enjoy it.
I don't think I need another reason beyond this one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff