Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
It would seem to be a child's dream.

For the last 17 years, Lego pieces have been washing up on the shores of Cornwall, England, to the delight of mystified beachgoers.

Except, it's not exactly a mystery. On Feb. 13, 1997, a shipping container filled with nearly 5 million Lego pieces was thrown into the sea when the ship carrying them, the New York-bound Tokio Express, was struck by a huge wave. In all, 62 containers were lost overboard some 20 miles offshore, the BBC reports.

According to Tracey Williams, a British writer who launched a Facebook page — Lego Lost at Sea — to document the Lego discoveries, most of the 4.8 million pieces were nautical-themed: scuba gear, seagrass and spear guns among the plastic dragons and daisies.

"These days the holy grail is an octopus or a dragon," Williams told the BBC. "I only know of three octopuses being found — and one was by me — in a cave in Challaborough, Devon. It's quite competitive. If you heard that your neighbor had found a green dragon, you'd want to go out and find one yourself."

Williams, who founded a local beach-cleaning group, says shipwrecked Lego bits wash up daily. And her Facebook page is littered with Lego findings. On Monday in Perranporth, a Lego scuba tank washed ashore. According to the cargo manifest, there were 97,500 of them in the container that fell off the Tokio Express.

Of the 4.8 million Lego pieces lost overboard, an estimated 3.2 million of them were light enough to have floated to the surface, Williams says.

While confirmed findings from the Lego container have been limited to the U.K. to date, Facebook users around the world have been reporting possible discoveries. Last week, a woman from Australia sent Williams a photo of a Lego flipper found washed ashore in Melbourne "sometime in the last five years."

Dr. Curtis Ebbesmeyer, an oceanographer who's studied the Tokio Express case, wrote, "It's possible that after 17 years, a Lego flipper could have made it to Australia."

And while the daily Lego discoveries may be a dream for some beachcombers, they're a nightmare for environmentalists.

"If you look at the washed-up Lego, it looks perfect, like it's just come out of the box," Claire Wallerstein, head of a Cornwall beach care group, told the BBC. "Plastic in the sea is not going to just decompose and go away."

Octopi!

Undead Enchantress

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As nice as that is, I don't think it was seaworthy at all!

mrgreen

Wintry Dragon

Those did not come from Lego Atlantis?

/disappointed emo

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
don't go to the beach bare footed

Friendly Explorer

Stepping on a lego will totally ruin someone's beach day.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
I was going to call hoax until I saw all the pieces are the 'riff raff' accessory / weird pieces.
The basic building block Lego pieces do not float. (I know from washing them)

Hilarious Loiterer

8,450 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
Shouldn't these be washing up in Denmark, though?

Seriously, that's kind of weird. I hope it gets cleaned up, though, before A) someone dies of shock from stepping on one and/or B) something chokes on one.

Liberal Fatcat

The environmentalist in me is going: GET THAT PLASTIC OUT OF THE SEA THAT s**t ISNT BIODEGRADABLE!

However, the kid in me is going: OMG LEGOS! *plays with them*

Magical Cutesmasher

16,075 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Pet Lover 100
This Isnt Sparta
The environmentalist in me is going: GET THAT PLASTIC OUT OF THE SEA THAT s**t ISNT BIODEGRADABLE!

Plastic extraction difficulty is ramped up once they're broken up to micro-scale.

Adorable Fisher

That's adorable for humans but so terrifying for the environment. Though, I think if I went to England and found a cute lego piece on the beach knowing its history I'd be tickled.

I also agree with iHippie X.

Bucktoothed Otaku

19,450 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
wow free lego parts.. eek

King Noob

This Isnt Sparta

this. I'm torn.

Magical Waffles

48,100 Points
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Fusion Expert 300
  • Cool Cat 500
That is a cool story but also has the potential to be kind of painful for beach goers.

Aged Fox

Oh my god emotion_facepalm I read that as legs washing up on shore. Glad it was just legos. XD

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Can you imagine stepping on one of those things hidden under the sand? Ouuuuch....

I imagine the sea life are having fun building things.xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces