Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think being hit straightened you out as a kid?

I was hit and it did help. 0.34939759036145 34.9% [ 29 ]
I was hit and it did not help. 0.4578313253012 45.8% [ 38 ]
I was never hit, but I think it would have helped. 0.024096385542169 2.4% [ 2 ]
I was never hit and I think it would have only done harm. 0.16867469879518 16.9% [ 14 ]
Total Votes:[ 83 ]
This poll closed on July 31, 2014.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Profitable Gekko

So I'm going to start this off by saying that I haven't made a thread in aaaages, and that I've primarily only lurked LD for a sometime now. I've admired you from a distance LD, but today I start to participate! So uh...here goes!

I was having a conversation with a pal the other night, and they mentioned how you have to hit kids at the age of 4 and whatnot because they don't understand reasoning. I disagreed, and this was the birth of one long a** debate. Me personally I was hit as a kid, I never felt like it was doing anything for me, but I can't say if it is or isn't a valid way of disciplining, because I'm just not that well versed in raising kids and how they work.

That being said I do think there are better ways to raise a kid than hitting, but thats my own ignorant opinion. So I want to hear what other people think.

So my question to you LD is do you think hitting kids to teach them right from wrong is appropriate or some level of ignorance?

And do you feel like there's ever a time that a kid needs to be hit? Sorry in advanced if this is too touchy or been asked a lot xD.
I don't see why we can't have both. I'm even sure there must be a way that physical punishment helps children learn to process reason. I.E. why did I get a swat on my butt for this? Oh, because it was bad behavior? So if I don't want to be spanked, I won't repeat the bad behavior that I got spanked for. Etc.

Aged Noob

If your friend is online I would like to see her full argument lol P: You pretty much got my full stance on the issue in that PM before.

By the way, what did you think about it? My PM I mean.
After seeing how kids act today, I have to say yes. Beat all of them.

Timid Lunatic

I don't believe in hitting children. Ever. I don't think it teaches them anything besides how to be afraid of you. And it shows them that violence is an acceptable form of discipline, which is a horrible lesson to teach anyone. I don't personally plan to have kids, but if I did, I would never hit them.

Profitable Gekko

The Wandering Nine
I don't see why we can't have both. I'm even sure there must be a way that physical punishment helps children learn to process reason. I.E. why did I get a swat on my butt for this? Oh, because it was bad behavior? So if I don't want to be spanked, I won't repeat the bad behavior that I got spanked for. Etc.
For sure, I can understand that. But I wonder if the hit is needed along with simply telling them why they shouldn't do something, and if kids do continue to do things after being spoken to about why they shouldn't do them, why then some sort of punishment shouldn't be enforced? I dunno, I always thought consistent discipline was the answer. But then again whenever I saw hitting in my life, it had adverse affects like...then the kid only learned to respond to being threatened to be hit :Y. But that's my experience, y'know?

Wheezing Fatcat

is this inspired by our last conversation?

Profitable Gekko

Luna Legend
I don't believe in hitting children. Ever. I don't think it teaches them anything besides how to be afraid of you. And it shows them that violence is an acceptable form of discipline, which is a horrible lesson to teach anyone. I don't personally plan to have kids, but if I did, I would never hit them.
This is admittedly how I feel, I don't plan to have kids, but if I did I wouldn't hit them. BUT ADMITTEDLY that's only because I don't know if there are any merits to hitting that consistent confrontation over misdeeds wouldn't also do as well as teach your kid good problem solving skills and logic. Like I said, I'm ignorant.

Profitable Gekko

and dancing ensued
is this inspired by our last conversation?
No no no, this isn't about you ;p. I had an interesting debate with a friend the other night and I just didn't know what to think. So I decided to come out of my shell and ask LD :V

Aged Noob

Luna Legend

I'm curious--if hitting your kid is out of the question, how else will you rear your child from doing wrong?
Luna Legend

"Violence can be used for good."
User Image

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Profitable Gekko

HizuPlague
After seeing how kids act today, I have to say yes. Beat all of them.
but isn't that assuming that beating them would solve an issue and not just make it worse? I was hit as a kid and I've gotta say it only confused me. Admittedly my parents didn't get the part where you also sit the kid down and talk to them as opposed to only hitting them to make them stop. But as a kid I was always looking for the reason in things, and being hit just freaked me out and made me fear telling my parents I did something, so I'd avoid telling them stuff.

Profitable Gekko

Mei Fire
If your friend is online I would like to see her full argument lol P: You pretty much got my full stance on the issue in that PM before.

By the way, what did you think about it? My PM I mean.
For sure I'll get back to you, I enjoyed the food for thought. My friend is not unreasonable, she just has a different perspective from being raised. I'm not sure which of us can't see past our own perspective though admittedly, because we didn't agree.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff