Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sugaruni's Fangirl

Fluffy Adventurer

A question to all artists~

Would you wholeheartedly accept critique,
          critique, not advice, from someone who barely knows how to draw a stickman?

I do love all critique myself but I'm wondering what others think :>

Kyorukki's Wife

Noob

depends on the type of critique ~
eg opinion-based "critique" (eg "ur style is so anime it looks stupid" ) i wouldnt rly take from anyone regardless of skill
but if it were smth about the technical aspects, eg. anatomy, then wynaut lol
after all if u want to improve u have to listen to everyone's critique, yea

Kaitaia's Partner

Tiny Bookworm

24,415 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tipsy 100
  • Streaker 200
Tbh no.

I find it incredibly difficult to accept critiques from anyone that doesn't practice any sort of art skill. If they themselves haven't spent time trying to improve their own art (be it drawing, sculpture etc etc) then what makes them such an expert on how to improve? =P

If I know you're an artist, if I've seen/admired your work, looked at the skill progression and been blown away by the improvement, then I'll want your critique because I know you've worked hard to get where you are

Newbie Noob

I myself am not that skilled at drawing (horrible painter) but I'm pretty sure people can visually tell what's wrong with a picture when they see it. For example, you can tell when someone uses stale colors versus vibrant. Or if their perspective is off.

We can all see. And we all know when something resembles something skewed or simply awkward (just like how human proportions can just seem wrong).

When artists make a composition. Their eyes will actually adjust to their errors so it's harder to fix it themselves.

That's why I think anyone's input is valuable.

But if! They were to tell you HOW to do your work. Then no. That's a bit different. I'd still consider their tips, but if their skill level doesn't seem to reflect their expertise, then it'll take more experimentation.

Kyorukki's Wife

Noob

Murmurlade
reviali
depends on the type of critique ~
eg opinion-based "critique" (eg "ur style is so anime it looks stupid" ) i wouldnt rly take from anyone regardless of skill
but if it were smth about the technical aspects, eg. anatomy, then wynaut lol
after all if u want to improve u have to listen to everyone's critique, yea

what if it was nitpicking on certain "styles"?
          eg hands way too big, or maybe for a chibi the head is too round etc etc?

the person above me put it pretty well, i think
nitpicking on styles is pretty awkward territory bc different artists have different styles, but tbh if u dont like someone's style it's not rly necessary to say that
but it's a thin line and u could pass something like wrong anatomy off as so-and-so style
there's also the matter of whether or not it's just the viewer's opinion and not technical aspects

i'd like to think im pretty open to criticism
if someone started bashing my style or telling me to do something else that'd just be rude
i'll accept any criticism as long as the person is respectful and not rude, and provides opinions on why they think something should be changed basically any actual critique and not flaming lolol

tldr criticism i would accept is stuff like "your chibi's head seems a bit big, i think it looks unbalanced" cos this has why thte person thinks so as well
stuff i wouldnt are things like "you should work harder on next time" or "be more consistent with ur styles" cos this is rather opinionated? and the first one is just //sigh

Generous Fatcat

9,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I'm pretty open to whoever gives me their opinion. You don't need to be a chef to know if the food tastes bad. lol. Many art collectors are not artists themselves either, but they do know what looks good and what doesn't. All I ask is that the critic at least seem educated in their response and not just grasping at straws.

Dangerous Lunatic

Of course, and have done on many occasions.
Someone doesn't need to know how to draw to spot errors.

In a relationship with Help The Bombardier

Explorer

Yeah I rely on my non-art friends to point out things that my art friends and I can't.
People shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the opinions of non-artists, it's true they might not understand the process but their eye is valuable.
As an illustrator the opinions of non-artists matter, because they are the ones looking at my work. If I make an illustration and an average person can't tell what's going on, what's the point? That's why I'm always asking my brother questions like "What do you think is going on? Does this look weird? How can I make it look more like _____?"
Of course you can dismiss opinions sometimes if it is a matter of "Oh, they don't understand", but that doesn't mean their opinion is worthless.

Yes you are making art for you, but the general public sees them as well as other artists. Don't make the profession a pretentious clique

In a relationship with Help The Bombardier

Explorer

CitrusCupcake
Tbh no.

I find it incredibly difficult to accept critiques from anyone that doesn't practice any sort of art skill. If they themselves haven't spent time trying to improve their own art (be it drawing, sculpture etc etc) then what makes them such an expert on how to improve? =P

If I know you're an artist, if I've seen/admired your work, looked at the skill progression and been blown away by the improvement, then I'll want your critique because I know you've worked hard to get where you are

So, would you accept critique on someone who you consider to have little skill as an artist?

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Yes, provided this person had a heavy background in art appreciation, understood the principles of design and etc, and had at least a basic grasp of art history. Nobody has to know how to sing to know that Rebecca Black can't. Nobody has to know how to fly a plane to say that a pilot made a great landing. Nobody has to be a linebacker to know that their favorite team made some bad trades this season. A person doesn't need to be an artist to know if art is done well or not. They just have to understand the subject they're critiquing.

Furthermore, any artist who would refuse a thoughtful, well-composed piece of constructive criticisms based solely on the art abilities of the person delivering it... well, that would make them a snob. And an artist with an inflated ego is not even a tenth as good as they think they are.
I do all the time. Well, when I have time to draw, that is. My husband is not artistically inclined in any sort of visual media, with an exception to being able to draw what he actually sees to a fair degree, but he can still tell me if something's off. And he's not exactly shy about it. (I really should listen to him more often regarding not going stagnant. >.> )

A person doesn't have to practice a trade to know the workings behind it. If they can tell me what is wrong and how to fix it by referring me to sources that cover the topic they're addressing, why should I discount their critique just because they don't/can't draw?
It really depends.

I've read some comments from people here, especially when concerning anime/chibi art, that say things and my only thought it "you have no idea what you're talking about"

However, not everyone needs to be heavily skilled to notice errors in things. If a face is lopsided, we can all generally tell it's lopsided regardless of skill level.
Art is generally intended for an audience, so if you don't want to listen to or appreciate your audience, you soon won't have one.

When working professionally, of course you need to listen to those less skilled than you. A professional artist who is being paid has to listen to people of various (or absolutely no) skill level in order to do his job and will not have his job if he doesn't in the same way that if a restaurant owner threw out all the complaints of her customers about the service and the food on the basis of, "How long have you been in the culinary industry, hmmm?," she would lose her business.

When trying to build an audience, yes, you should listen to those less skilled than you. You as an artist are promoting more than your artwork. You're promoting yourself as a person, and clients, fans, customers, they don't ever see you as "off duty."

When working on something for personal use only, just for you, alone, to enjoy, and yet somehow someone comments on it? Yes, you should listen to them even then. You aren't always going to be working simply for your own personal enjoyment, so it's useful to be aware of what others think of your work for when you do decide to work for others, even if it is stylistic nitpickiness. What if a complaint about a point of your style comes up more than once, and then later when you need to do work for not-yourself, your deaf ears have held you back from being able to really knock it out of the park?

Does that mean you should always change your work according to what they say? No: you are the final decision maker, and it's up to you. Of course, if you're being paid to make the changes, then make the damn changes.

Celestial Dog

Of course. I find it terrible practice to discriminate opinions by what talents someone holds.

Chefs don't ignore critique about their work from people who can't cook. Musicians don't ignore critique from people who can't play music. Art is no exception at all and anyone who treats non-artistic people as having invalid opinions is in dire need of a reality check.

Non-artistic folks might not know exact terminology, rules, or how things work, but that doesn't mean they don't know what does/doesn't look good and where things could stand to be improved.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff