Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hilarious Lunatic

Since preschool, I attended an after-school Christian program. I was confirmed and out of there by 8th grade, when I was 14. My whole life, I believed in God and Jesus. I just never cared. To me, Christmas is about being with my family, snow, holiday magic, mistletoes, love, giving presents, and getting them. To me, Christmas has never been about Jesus's birth. I never cared. I probably didn't even believe in Jesus growing up. He's never crossed my mind. In the Christian program, CCD, I never cared. One teacher said that the baby Jesus is sleeping in the church, so we had to be quiet during confession. I hated confession. I'm not perfect, but I couldn't think of any legit sins as a child. Yes, in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, WE HAD TO TELL CONFESSIONS TO THE PASTOR OR PRIEST OR WHOEVER HE WAS. I didn't kill anyone, steal anything, etc as a kid. I usually just said I was fighting with my brother and sister (both older). I kinda just bullshitted every confession. The only time I confessed something true was when I used to make my friend throw out my lunch every day in 3rd grade if I didn't like it. XP Don't worry, I've grown to appreciate meals. I only did that s**t for a year.

Anyway. In my final year (8th grade), a teacher told us that when we listen to metal or rock music, we're invoking evil spirits. Another teacher said that when we say, "god damn it," we're not just saying his name in vain. We're also condemning something that god created. So if I say, "Damn this grass" or "goddamned grass" I'm condemning grass lol.

I believed in god, but I never cared. I didn't believe some of the things the teachers said. CCD was a waste of time. Most of the kids hated it by 7th or 8th grade lol. I went to school with some of the CCD kids. They hated CCD, too.

Anyway. Here's the issue, finally. My sister is 22, and I'm 20. She used to hate and fear god until she joined a Christian club at her university. She was telling me, "Jesus died for our sins so we don't have to go to hell."

I never believed in worshipping. I sorta believe in a god, but I don't HAVE to worship him/her/it. That's how I feel. I asked her why we have to worship Jesus. She glared at me and said, "Because he died for us!!!!!"

-_- My other issue is Christian bands. I got into Skillet last year. I loved "Hero." I thought it was about real heroes, being a hero, etc. When I looked them up, they were Christian. "Hero" is actually about Jesus! As well as their other songs, with SOME exceptions. They do have non-religious songs. I loved "I'm So Sick" by Flyleaf. I love We as Human. I love Fireflight. I had no idea these bands were Christians.

Christianity and rock just irks me. Every time these singers say, "you," they're talking about god or Jesus, not an actual person. It gets me so mad. I hate it when they mention god/Jesus/Christ/lord in general. It's like, a kickass rock song, then they mention Jesus or God or Lord. -_- What a turn off.

I never liked Christian music that they show on commercials. It just sounds so childish. I once saw a commercial for Jesus-loving music, but a kid version. Like Christian Kidz Bop. emotion_facepalm Ever since I was young, I had a thing against Christian music.

And with these bands, I feel like I can't enjoy them cuz I'm not religious. But at the same time, whenever I hear Fireflight's singer say, "God is calling out to you, just let the healing start," I think.

These bands are making me feel like God is calling out to me. I never gave a s**t about God til a few months ago. Well, I still don't. But when I hear this music, I feel guilt.

Are Skillet, Flyleaf, Fireflight, and We as Human brainwashing me? I hate it when an awesome song turns out to be about God.

Part if me wants to throw God away. I see stuff online about benefits of going atheist. But when I think of no God, I feel sad. But why? Why am I sad? I never cared or worshipped him anyway.

I think these Christian bands are making me feel guilty for not accepting keys into my heart. I don't know if I'm atheist or agnostic.

What do I do? I read the Old Testament and HATED IT. God is a major p***k! Plus, there's no historical event where a flood destroyed humankind and an old guy had 2 of every animal on a boat. The whole son of god thing...born from a Virgin...

In my history classes growing up (PUBLIC SCHOOL), we learned NOTHING ABOUT JESUS OR A FLOOD OR A VIRGIN MARY OR WHATEVER.

Some experts say Jesus didn't even exist! Some say he was real, but the son/miracles/virgin birth is bullshit.

50% of me wants to throw away my religion, which I never fully believed in anyway, so it should be easy

50% of me feels guilty and empty without a higher power, BUT that's funny cuz I NEVER TURN TO GOD FOR ANYTHING

Are these bands making me worry over nothing?
Honestly you sound like you are still a part of the stupid s**t mentality you dealt with as a child. You havent really grown up at all or thought about things logically. How does someone making songs that you can say are about god brainwashing? It is just their thing and no one is makign you listen to christian rock. Also many people use god in a vague sense, like god vs God, so mentioning the word itself means little. You can interpret the 'you' to be god or someting else if you ant too. So I dont see why you cant enjoy them, I can listen to flyleaf fine while not being religious

You cant be a christian if you dont worship god, that is the main point of these kinds of religions. If you feel guilty because you are being a bad christian, it isnt the music's fault. Anyways, why would you learn about Jesus in history class? You live in america, that isnt your history, and even then we separate religion from history or other things unless it is a dead one for respect. You have to specifically go into religion studies to learn about religion in school. If you did learn about it in history that would be scary, that isnt history. Does it mean it is fake? No. But there are many religions which say their own thing, you cant expect to be told that 1 is true in school.

Your religion isnt the old testament, it is the new, like that is the point of Jesus existing and doing s**t. The 'old' one is jewish, and its a basis from the Abrahamic religions as a starting point. The history basis of what is in that is sketchy partly bcause we frankly have no idea what happened that long ago. We dont have a lot of info from that period, we look at skeletons and what we think the world was like at that point and guess. However, you are missing the bigger point in this which is that religion isnt about historical accuracy but about belief.
Ha, I didn't know skillet was a christian band either. To be honest, whenever I hear hero come up on my playlist my mind flashes to every fictional hero character I know about. Mostly Zack Fair though.

kahono's Senpai

Spacey Nymph

It sounds like you need to sit down and really think hard about how you feel about religion, and how it effected your upbringing. You may not be Christian, and that's fine. There are billions of people on this planet who aren't religious or believe in others and get by just fine. I don't believe that if there is really a 'loving god' out there they would be bothered that you don't believe in them. Our universe is much more vast than our small little planet on the outskirts of our universe.
You don't have to buy into the music's message if you don't agree with it. I enjoyed Flyleaf when I was younger and am not religious in any sense of the word.

Timid Lunatic

You sound a lot like me, minus the hatred of Christian bands (I just don't listen to them). I too was raised Catholic, forced to go to CCD and partake in church activities for most of my childhood. One day, around the age of fifteen or so, I took a step back and realized that none of it really meant anything to me. And I just let it go. It's not that I don't believe in anything, but I know now that I'm not particularly fond of any particular religion. I'd rather not worship any one "god", and instead just try to be the best person I can be on my own. It's worked out really well for me so far.

So my advice to you would be that if you're feeling similarly about everything, maybe it's time for you to let it all go, too. Be respectful, don't judge others based on what they believe, but don't partake in it if you don't want to. You don't have to be angry or bitter, but you don't have to buy into it, either. You're your own person.

Shadowy Rogue

3,700 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500
Consider looking at what religions around the world do to find fulfillment; not to follow them, but to understand how they work. Although I'm not religious I do quite like eastern spirituality because it's more about becoming a better person or living in harmony with nature. Those things, I think, are much more healthy than some psychotic overlord people are supposed to love out of fear.

It doesn't take promise of an afterlife to find purpose in this life. It's about how we care for each other, and how we can try to make humanity better.
Nothing wrong with being agnostic.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces