Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mewling Kitten

I feel like before, Gaia used to be mainly a forum website where you could chat about certain topics and make friends. Now-a-days, especially because of the inflation and the mass release of new items, it feels like Gaia has gone from a place to meeting friends, to a place where all you do is try to have a nice and expensive avatar.

The community is rightfully sour because of the inflation and it's all people can talk about. In addition to that there are often a lot of giveaways that people flock to, so that creates even more content focusing around items. I also feel like many people are spoken to nicer depending on how expensive their avi is because often times it's the rich people that give you gifts.

Does anyone else feel like Gaia has gone from a place to making friends, to a game of making the best avatar?
Your experience on Gaia is what you make it.

Mewling Kitten

Dark_Lady_Jade
I've been a member since '04 so my experience on this forum is very long. Years ago having nice avis was more of a side-thing to do and having your dream avi was generally attainable, whereas now it feels like the main point of Gaia.

Omnipresent Rabbit

30,750 Points
  • Energy Harvester 150
  • Married 100
  • Striking Knight 150
Dark_Lady_Jade

I must agree. ^_^

Quite frankly still feel that it is a place to make friends and talk. In fact despite my gaian age I've only been vocal the past year. I wish people would stop it with inflation talk it's such a downer. Sent you a contribution for your quest.

Welcoming Receiver

To be honest I've already felt like that in 2012... the time around when they introduced the cash and suddenly a lot of cool items were only purchasable with real money or for horrendous gold-prices in the MP. Back then I felt more and more pressure to have neat and expensive Items for my avi, and I think it hasn't changed but just gotten waaayyy worse until now (especially with the inflation and all)

Remember when CI's were a special thing? When there've been extra Manga chapters or short comics around to promote them?
Now I feel like we're having those or other super-special-chance/item/generator-thingies every other day. Each of them coming with at least 10 announcements I'm supposed to click through and to get excited about? (I really don't care, Gaia! I don't have money to spend of virtual items anyway)

I liked the monthly collectibles and even got one back in the day (by international mail-in), but now they're pretty much the standard gaiaplate here and nothing special compared to all those other CIs, EIs and whatnot... there's tons of them on the MP, yet curiously for unbelievably high prices (and I always thought prices go down when there's enough supply)

dancing_ice's Fangirl

Judging people based on avatar 'wealth' has been present long before hyperinflation. That was my experience when I first ventured outside my friends' threads. They were here before me, and with them, I didn't need to doll up. But outside? If I want to be listened to, I have to pile up the most expensive items I had at that time. And GCD has been my home forum since I joined.
Back then, you'd find 'GCD regs and prommies' in people's signatures. And plenty of inter member drama. lol
Nothing has changed much, except the economy, and the multitude of items.

Cluttered Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Market Browser 100
Wren_Fritsche
Dark_Lady_Jade

I must agree. ^_^

Quite frankly still feel that it is a place to make friends and talk. In fact despite my gaian age I've only been vocal the past year. I wish people would stop it with inflation talk it's such a downer. Sent you a contribution for your quest.

I think most people are not immune to their environmental conditions. Yes, we can adjust our experiences, but it can be very difficult filter outside influences.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to look on the bright side of life, but we do have legitimate reasons to be upset.

Also, a lot of inflation topics stemmed from those who were shocked after returning to Gaia

Cluttered Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Market Browser 100
Leizce
Judging people based on avatar 'wealth' has been present long before hyperinflation. That was my experience when I first ventured outside my friends' threads. They were here before me, and with them, I didn't need to doll up. But outside? If I want to be listened to, I have to pile up the most expensive items I had at that time. And GCD has been my home forum since I joined.
Back then, you'd find 'GCD regs and prommies' in people's signatures. And plenty of inter member drama. lol

Same as real life, really. - -;

Omnipresent Rabbit

30,750 Points
  • Energy Harvester 150
  • Married 100
  • Striking Knight 150
Lockany
Wren_Fritsche
Dark_Lady_Jade

I must agree. ^_^

I think most people are not immune to their environmental conditions. Yes, we can adjust our experiences, but it can be very difficult filter outside influences.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't try to look on the bright side of life, but we do have legitimate reasons to be upset.

Also, a lot of inflation topics stemmed from those who were shocked after returning to Gaia

Yeah but it isn't right to sour someone else positive experience, and inflation isn't all this site is. ^_^

dancing_ice's Fangirl

Lockany
Leizce

Yep. We're judged by how we 'dress', conduct ourselves...even on our 'social' standing. xp I like to believe that such is not the case here, but nuh uh. Come dressed like a beggar, and you're as good as invisible.

lol. This reminds of when people had 'thread-killers' in their siggies/post style. Such is the discrimination against the perceived 'poor'.
So yeah, nothing new in gaia really, in terms of avatar 'wealth'.

Cluttered Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Market Browser 100
Wren_Fritsche
Lockany
Wren_Fritsche
Dark_Lady_Jade

I must agree. ^_^

Yeah but it isn't right to sour someone else positive experience, and inflation isn't all this site is. ^_^

Hmm...well, forums are where people free to discuss (within rules), I don't think talking about inflation is souring other people's experience, unless a person decides to go around pming people or complaining in topics that aren't relevant. Some may not like it, but people are allowed to express themselves about things that are unpleasant.

Gaian

3,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I was on Gaia once before, years ago, and I returned. It has changed. I haven't made friends yet and most people make fun of my avi and tell me how I need to upgrade. I mainly meet crappy people and I feel the focus has changed to the avi. I still log on hoping for something different and trying to get in and really get invovled, but I don't feel inclusion. I don't know if I will last again. You are right.
Dark_Lady_Jade

I completely agree with this. I understand the frustration when everything's crazy inflated and it's hard to buy new items and there's this constant announcement spam, but it's not stopping anyone from making friends or hanging out with people on the forums.

The focus of the company may have changed, but for the users it doesn't have to.

Cluttered Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Market Browser 100
Leizce
Lockany
Leizce

Yep. We're judged by how we 'dress', conduct ourselves...even on our 'social' standing. xp I like to believe that such is not the case here, but nuh uh. Come dressed like a beggar, and you're as good as invisible.

lol. This reminds of when people had 'thread-killers' in their siggies/post style. Such is the discrimination against the perceived 'poor'.
So yeah, nothing new in gaia really, in terms of avatar 'wealth'.

User Image

Kind of sums it up. xd

dancing_ice's Fangirl

Masuyo-Rie-Takahashi
I was on Gaia once before, years ago, and I returned. It has changed. I haven't made friends yet and most people make fun of my avi and tell me how I need to upgrade. I mainly meet crappy people and I feel the focus has changed to the avi. I still log on hoping for something different and trying to get in and really get invovled, but I don't feel inclusion. I don't know if I will last again. You are right.

What happened to your friends? Did they all leave?

My friends left, even my siblings. gonk

The only thing that's keeping me here, I believe, is nostalgia. I'm also a part time garbage collector in old towns. lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff