Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Gaian

11,600 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
I don't know what to do, I have social anxiety, so I'm going to an online university and I have no way to pay off all these student loans because I don't have a job yet due to the social anxiety so i'm seeing a therapist for my social anxiety. anyway So far somehow I only owe 9,500 in loan debt, so far even though i'm 55% complete according to the school which is weird since I would think I would have more student loan debt than 9,500 not unless there's other loans, I don't know about because when I graduate I'm supposed to owe 74 grand in total.

Then well the thing is I'm switching programs in which the new program will cost 32 grand when I graduate, So a lot cheaper than 74 grand but the thing is I don't know if I should continue with the switch or just quit because I don't work and I have missed 2 months worth of payment's because my parents are also struggling with money, so now I'm building up interest for the 9,500 loan and just wondering should I just quit right here and now and only owe the the 9,500 plus interest or continue with the switch and owe the 32 grand and the 9,500 plus the interest because I don't know if I can over come this social anxiety and just the thought of all this debt is freaking me out every single day because it's on my mind everyday. I have no idea what to do and my parents haven't made an appointment with my therapist for this month.

So I just jumped into the program switch and now i'm freaking out because I should of never done this online university and more importantly switch programs the only positive with switching is the price and the program i;m switching to is something I really want to do but I feel like I should just quit here and now but I don't think I can since I already filled out the papers to switch though.

I'm way over my head having social anxiety and this debt is not going all that great but the thing is if I quit my parents want me to get a job despite my social anxiety issues. My parents tell me to look into disability due to my anxiety but i'm waiting to see if therapy will help. Since my therapist is trying E.M.D.R. treatment again next appointment.

So should I just quit before things get even worst if I can or just go with the switch and hope I get over my social anxiety?

off topic: I'm just at a loss with everything in general, even life I don't know what i'm doing anymore but I keep holding on waiting for a light at the end of this dark tunnel but I guess because I keep trying to hold on and hang in there is the most important part right?
Never ever get into online universities or s**t like Kaplan or Devry, they're usually profit organizations and don't care about the students really.

Get a job, go to therapy, and pay back the loan your parents are paying. I know social anxiety is hard, but with help you can do it.

Just pay back the 9,500 loan and forget about the other one. Try going back to an actually public community college since it's cheaper.

Friendly Gaian

11,600 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
StreetchIck123
Never ever get into online universities or s**t like Kaplan or Devry, they're usually profit organizations and don't care about the students really.

Get a job, go to therapy, and pay back the loan your parents are paying. I know social anxiety is hard, but with help you can do it.

Just pay back the 9,500 loan and forget about the other one. Try going back to an actually public community college since it's cheaper.

For the online university it switched from profit to non-profit at the start of this year.

I am trying but every interview ends up miserably even though I tell myself to relax and that I can do it. So i'm relying on the the therapy also hoping treatments my therapist give me will help,

So I should just quit the program switch before it's to late and deal with the 9,500?
The exiled princess 6084
StreetchIck123

For the online university it switched from profit to non-profit at the start of this year.

I am trying but every interview ends up miserably even though I tell myself to relax and that I can do it. So i'm relying on the the therapy also hoping treatments my therapist give me will help,

So I should just quit the program switch before it's to late and deal with the 9,500?
Online universities are sketchy.

Yes, that way you wouldn't be digging yourself a deeper shithole.
Wait are you gaining interest for student loans WHILE in school? Because that aint how it is supposed to work. You are only supopsed to gain interest after you are done (or you are dropping out) and they usually give you a few months before payments. Then the fact that you only have 9.5 k in debt when you should have like 32 is a bit weird, where does the rest come in? Idk this is not normal. I think you need someone who knows a lot about schools to look at this, and if it is sketchy just drop out and deal with it. As you dont want to switch to another sketchy place. Also do start looking at disability now.

Tipsy Prophet

legnanellaf5
Wait are you gaining interest for student loans WHILE in school? Because that aint how it is supposed to work. You are only supopsed to gain interest after you are done (or you are dropping out) and they usually give you a few months before payments. Then the fact that you only have 9.5 k in debt when you should have like 32 is a bit weird, where does the rest come in? Idk this is not normal. I think you need someone who knows a lot about schools to look at this, and if it is sketchy just drop out and deal with it. As you dont want to switch to another sketchy place. Also do start looking at disability now.

It depends on if the loan is subsidized or not. One of them gains interest while in school while the other does not (i can never remember if it's the subsidized or un-subsidized). So that part really isn't as sketchy as you make it seem. Additionally, she hasn't finished her degree yet. That is when the rest of that money comes in. Charges are accumulated by semester. Not a lump sum at enrollment...

OP:
I say continue your education. If you quit now, you've changed nothing about your situation. If you stick it out and get your degree, you'll at least have more employment options. And, yes, you'll have student loan debts--just like 99.9% of the people with a college degree. It isn't the end of the world. A sad state of the world, yes, but not the end of it.

Friendly Gaian

11,600 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
Delightful_FOOL

OP:
I say continue your education. If you quit now, you've changed nothing about your situation. If you stick it out and get your degree, you'll at least have more employment options. And, yes, you'll have student loan debts--just like 99.9% of the people with a college degree. It isn't the end of the world. A sad state of the world, yes, but not the end of it.

That's what my mom wants me to do is to stick with it plus I do qualify for the max amount of a grant, so that 32k is reduced. Since grants you don't have to pay back but still it's still a lot of money though but a lot more cheaper than 74 grand if I finish the program I'm taking now, so it's a bit better that I switched programs and the program I switched to is something I really want to do but still. Huh maybe you're right though and just keep going but i'm so torn on the idea though.
may I suggest a trade school/trade program?

Usually you can get your certificate in 18-24 months, and they can be jobs that pay 60 grand a year, like radiology, court room typewriter, etc. These can usually be done in community colleges that have costs at around 100 dollars a credit hour for in-state. The Radiography program at one of our local colleges (florida state college of Jacksonville) has 77 credit hours, which, would be around 7700 dollars for tuition plus your books and rent and such, much cheaper than your online.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
What types of social situations scare you, and why? Also do you have any goals after college (they don't need to be set in stone, but just some career ideas)
StreetchIck123

This is really solid advice.

Friendly Gaian

11,600 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
DJ Twissta
What types of social situations scare you, and why? Also do you have any goals after college (they don't need to be set in stone, but just some career ideas)

Talking over a phone, talking to random people and people I don't know, and job interviews but the weird thing is that i'm fine with typing. For the reason I truly don't know why it's just something that built up over time.Then for goals after college i'm at a lost also.

blah i'm just at a loss with everything.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
The exiled princess 6084
DJ Twissta

Talking over a phone, talking to random people and people I don't know, and job interviews but the weird thing is that i'm fine with typing. For the reason I truly don't know why it's just something that built up over time.Then for goals after college i'm at a lost also.

Can you talk over the phone calmly with someone you know, or is it specific situations?
For example I get nervous when making appointments or something like that, so what helps me is writing down what I'm going to say.

Another important thing is repetition, the more you do something that makes you nervous the less nervous you will be because you have an idea of what to expect. What would always make me nervous is the fear of the unknown.

What are the things that you are interested in? :3

Friendly Gaian

11,600 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
DJ Twissta
The exiled princess 6084
DJ Twissta

Can you talk over the phone calmly with someone you know, or is it specific situations?
For example I get nervous when making appointments or something like that, so what helps me is writing down what I'm going to say.

Another important thing is repetition, the more you do something that makes you nervous the less nervous you will be because you have an idea of what to expect. What would always make me nervous is the fear of the unknown.

I can talk to family members and to a few people like my therapist and my 2 friends just fine but when I have to talk in real life, call, or someone is trying to call me and I don't know them. I will freak out badly. What happens is that my legs will start giving out, I start breathing heavy, I get headaches, feel light headed, and become petrified. Then if I somehow manage to talk to someone, I rush the conversation as fast as I can, I mumble, use one word answer's and I can't finish my sentences.

Then my interests are playing music, drawing, writing, recently cooking, and I have a lot of other intrerests to tell you the truth but those are my top ones.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
The exiled princess 6084
DJ Twissta
The exiled princess 6084
DJ Twissta

I can talk to family members and to a few people like my therapist and my 2 friends just fine but when I have to talk in real life, call, or someone is trying to call me and I don't know them. I will freak out badly. What happens is that my legs will start giving out, I start breathing heavy, I get headaches, feel light headed, and become petrified. Then if I somehow manage to talk to someone, I rush the conversation as fast as I can, I mumble, use one word answer's and I can't finish my sentences.

Then my interests are playing music, drawing, writing, recently cooking, and I have a lot of other intrerests to tell you the truth but those are my top ones.

Ahh okay. Have you tried sitting down while talking on the phone? My mom told me that you're more relaxed when you are sitting than when you're standing. One way I got better was when I kept calling various stores to ask if they were hiring. It's a pretty simple routine but it made me very nervous. After I got a few attempts in I slowly realized that I was okay.

What type of instruments do you like to play? :3 Have you ever thought of looking into maybe being in an orchestra? (lol I'm just throwing ideas out there, you by no means have to try any of my suggestions). For me I deep down knew what I wanted to do, but I was afraid. See I want to teach English in South Korea, but before that I want to study abroad there (a two month commitment gives you a good idea, before I take the decision to make a one year commitment to teach). And I was so afraid to admit this because of a fear I have of being judged. But when I told my mom and got her and my dad's support, suddenly I felt this confidence that I could do it. I also felt more comfortable talking to my mom about things that I wouldn't usually tell anyone that I'm close to.

EDIT: Also by "real life call" do you mean strangers?

16,290 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Because you have such a severe case of social anxiety, I think it would actually be better for you to attend a public university. This will get you used to being surrounded by people. I used to have social anxiety as well, but then I joined an anime club in high school and was able to get over my fears a little bit. I'm now the treasurer of three student organizations, and although I'm still pretty bad, I'm slowly improving. I find that hanging out with people who share your interests is way easier to tolerate.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff