Welcome to Gaia! ::

-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz
I think it was heavily sexualized and objectifying, to both sexes. And while it IS a good flight instruction and a refreshment at that, it could have been done better.

How can it be objectifying if it never said "Rape is OK" or "Ignore women's feelings!"? Is it objectifying just because it is sexy outside of a romantic context? Please answer soon.

I'm concerned that you don't seem to know what objectification means. (I am really confused by the objectification = literally saying rape is OK definition. Never heard that one before.) The good news is you're not alone! A lot of people don't really get it, so let's break it down.

Objectification is treating a person as a commodity or an object without regard to their personal dignity. More specifically, sexual objectification of a person is treating a person as an instrument of sexual pleasure or "sex object."

Basically, you're removing the concept of human dignity from an individual and instead affording them no more respect than you would an inanimate object. Your focus is on what utility you can extract from that object, rather than on how you interact with them as a fellow human being. In cases of face to face objectification, this can be directly harmful to the recipient of that objectification. In the case of media objectification the harm really only comes from repeated objectification that gets people in the habit of thinking of certain people as objects, creating/reinforcing attitudes that carry over into actual human interactions.

Now, for the question of whether this video is objectifying these women... I guess you could make that argument...
I don't know. I mean, the model's behavior in the commercial was more juvenile and fun than sexy and flirty. It was less "sex sells" and more "fun sells." I mean, sure, the models were in swim suits and there were, I think, 2 shots of them actually trying to look sexy, but I thought it looked more like some women having fun at the beach together (not objectification) than women being put on display for the enjoyment of a male audience (objectification). So that's my take on it, but maybe other people are seeing something in the video I'm not. Really, the worst I see is the line "the beauty of safety." I guess you could interpret that as presenting the models as "beautiful objects," but it seems like a bit of a stretch.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz
I think it was heavily sexualized and objectifying, to both sexes. And while it IS a good flight instruction and a refreshment at that, it could have been done better.

How can it be objectifying if it never said "Rape is OK" or "Ignore women's feelings!"? Is it objectifying just because it is sexy outside of a romantic context? Please answer soon.

Because it signaled "look at all those sexy people! Listen to those hotties and babes!"
nitznitz
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz

Because it signaled "look at all those sexy people! Listen to those hotties and babes!"

So being hot is bad?
garra_eyes
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz

I'm concerned that you don't seem to know what objectification means. (I am really confused by the objectification = literally saying rape is OK definition. Never heard that one before.) The good news is you're not alone! A lot of people don't really get it, so let's break it down.

Objectification is treating a person as a commodity or an object without regard to their personal dignity. More specifically, sexual objectification of a person is treating a person as an instrument of sexual pleasure or "sex object."

Basically, you're removing the concept of human dignity from an individual and instead affording them no more respect than you would an inanimate object. Your focus is on what utility you can extract from that object, rather than on how you interact with them as a fellow human being. In cases of face to face objectification, this can be directly harmful to the recipient of that objectification. In the case of media objectification the harm really only comes from repeated objectification that gets people in the habit of thinking of certain people as objects, creating/reinforcing attitudes that carry over into actual human interactions.

Now, for the question of whether this video is objectifying these women... I guess you could make that argument...
I don't know. I mean, the model's behavior in the commercial was more juvenile and fun than sexy and flirty. It was less "sex sells" and more "fun sells." I mean, sure, the models were in swim suits and there were, I think, 2 shots of them actually trying to look sexy, but I thought it looked more like some women having fun at the beach together (not objectification) than women being put on display for the enjoyment of a male audience (objectification). So that's my take on it, but maybe other people are seeing something in the video I'm not. Really, the worst I see is the line "the beauty of safety." I guess you could interpret that as presenting the models as "beautiful objects," but it seems like a bit of a stretch.

So people should only be presented in a sexy way to romantic partners? Or a profile describing the personality of the model should always be next to a picture of someone doing sexy posing?
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz

So being hot is bad?

More the assumption that audiences will only pay attention to people if they're hot.

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz

So being hot is bad?

Relying solely on being hot is.
-Soul in this universe-

So people should only be presented in a sexy way to romantic partners? Or a profile describing the personality of the model should always be next to a picture of someone doing sexy posing?

Again, you're sort of missing what objectification means.

Being treated as a sexy person is different than being treated as a sexy object.

The former is a-ok. The later is not.

And since I don't seem to be describing it very well myself, I've opted to find someone else's description for you to hear, cause she does a way better job than me.

nitznitz
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz

So being hot is bad?

Where did the video say that the women should only do that & never anything else?

Opinionated Lunatic

17,075 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cart Raider 100
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz

So being hot is bad?

Where did the video say that the women should only do that & never anything else?

It presented itself in such a way. If you can't read between the lines, you're in for some problems.

Shameless Man-Lover

I think the clip about her ogling the pool boy was pretty objectifying. But the rest of it? It was just like a swimsuit ad :/
nitznitz
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz
-Soul in this universe-
nitznitz

So being hot is bad?

It presented itself in such a way. If you can't read between the lines, you're in for some problems.

By that logic, ANY video that presents women in a sexy way without mention the women's personalities is objectifying. Bikinis would be objectifying. By your logic the video would only not be objectifying if it had a little profile by each of the women describing their personalities without mentioning anything sexy. Is that hat you're saying? By that logic, auto-repair is objectifying since fixing someone's car says nothing about the personality of the mechanic, do you agree?

Dapper Cat

8,450 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
They're probably the type that would objectify men and say that it's perfectly fine to do that.

olive buffet's Datemate

100% of the world has unhealthy eating habits.
I myself ate some Doritos today.

Dapper Lunatic

gaia_nitemareleft

This video isn't "sexist" in any way, shape, or form.
Granted the video is heavily sexualized, that doesn't mean it is trying to perpetuate the stereotype that all women should look like that.
Cultures around the world prefer "extra meat" on their woman, as opposed to having a sack of bones to cuddle with.
The only reason there was such an outrage was because people took the intended message way out of context.

Also, it doesn't promote "unhealthy" eating habits, either.
The Council of Fashion Designers of America try to keep guidelines in place to keep models from starving themselves to death.

gaia_nitemareright
Giygasm
They're probably the type that would objectify men and say that it's perfectly fine to do that.

That's not what I asked.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces