Welcome to Gaia! ::

ThyOneGuy's Oppa

Now before you start bitching like old people and start preaching that its "s**t" because its generic I'm going to say this. I understand you have a right to your own opinion and I gladly want to hear why you dislike it but if all you can say is "It's s**t" or "over hyped" let me direct you to the door.
Back up your hatred with a legit reason not just hate for the sake of hate. Reserve that for people in real life you normally do.

That's actually why I am making this discussion thread because every time I see and SAO thread its just people hating it for the sake of hating it. There's no other reason behind their hatred and that's just sad.

Now I will agree that SAO was not original in anyway. It played into a lot of anime tropes out there. Main guy hates real life and so he escapes it by playing games but the one game he escapes into is the one game he can't leave thus he becomes the one true all powerful gamer and is able to take down bosses that no other normal person can and of course there was romance as always and while it was sweet yes the anime did force it.

Season 2 wasn't as exciting as season 1 (yes I know technically it was one season just split in two but I'm basing my knowledge off of the Light Novels all of which I have read.
Up to the last one that has not been translated yet. And the Alfheim arc is actually its own book so I'm just going to call it season 2 now if you don't like that well tough just bite your tongue and let me call it what I please) The second season was boring it was focused to much on Suguha and as much as I think shes an ok character and while her character development was some what good she just stood in the way of Kirito getting to Asuna sooner. She just whined that he didn't love her and that it wasn't fair to her. Then they fight and its instantly better... no no no no no. Thats just not how it works.
Also they left a large chunk out of season 2 that was in the light novels.This piece while not vastly important helps to show that her character is actually more than just a whiny t**t most of the time. Now the raunchy perverted assault on Asuna was not needed. It was very weird and while yes the guys personality was twisted it just.. no no no.

Personally I adore Sword Art online. I have a real replica of Elucidator which I have cut my fingers on many times while screwing around pretending to Krito saving Asuna. I'm gay and and spend all my nights staying up late watching anime.. and here I am agreeing that season 2 was bland and boring. So see hating season 2 is perfectly fine just back it with a reason emotion_kirakira

ThyOneGuy's Oppa

So here's a thought if the game also deals with your mental state so to speak because its a projection of your mind. Is it possible for Kirito's opness to be because mentally hes very strong? Thus almost everything is somewhat easy for him? Take into account in his "real life" he is very brilliant and was supposed to be on par with Kayaba"

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
" A Houngan is wandering, away from its swarm. "

||| I didn't care for the plot. Being trapped in a video game, or having the video game become your reality, isn't something that's never been done before. And sadly, SAO didn't do it that well, either. Additionally, I didn't care much for the characters. I didn't really care much for Kirito, and I absolutely hated Asuna. And the romance between them felt forced, like they only put the romance in there for the sake of having romance. To be honest with you I dislike romance in a series most times, but if the romance is done well and builds up, I can tolerate it. This isn't what happened with SAO though, and it was a huge turn off for me.

Funny though, how you're hating on mainstream shonen for being "overhyped pieces of crap" when you won't hear the same about SAO. I'll be back to see your reasoning behind the latter part of your post.

" The wandering Houngan logged out "

ThyOneGuy's Oppa

A Wandering Houngan

||| I didn't care for the plot. Being trapped in a video game, or having the video game become your reality, isn't something that's never been done before. And sadly, SAO didn't do it that well, either. Additionally, I didn't care much for the characters. I didn't really care much for Kirito, and I absolutely hated Asuna. And the romance between them felt forced, like they only put the romance in there for the sake of having romance. To be honest with you I dislike romance in a series most times, but if the romance is done well and builds up, I can tolerate it. This isn't what happened with SAO though, and it was a huge turn off for me.

Funny though, how you're hating on mainstream shonen for being "overhyped pieces of crap" when you won't hear the same about SAO. I'll be back to see your reasoning behind the latter part of your post.

I appreciate your honesty. This was what I meant thought. Your dislike is valid. It didn't work for you and you were able to back up all the reasons why. You must have missed the entire boled part of my thread because "hating on mainstream shonen for being "overhyped pieces of crap" when you won't hear the same about SAO." is untrue I can take it and welcome it. That goes for all other anime/manga/light novel as well. I enjoy listening to peoples opinions and discussing with them the reasons behind their thoughts. Thats why I made the thread in the first place. Because all I was seeing was hate for the sake of hating. No reason other than "I don't like it" and "Its s**t" You though have been what I was looking for you had a valid thought out reason on why it was bad. I appreciate it because it shows that these are weak points that really bring the anime down. I respect you to because of it. Your not just some kid hiding behind a screen like most. You show you are realistic and intelligent.

Yes when I come back I will do just as you did and explain why I believe they are not very good. So like before I ask you to hold on till then because for now its strictly SAO I'd like discussed.

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Tragick Lullaby
I appreciate your honesty. This was what I meant thought. Your dislike is valid. It didn't work for you and you were able to back up all the reasons why. You must have missed the entire boled part of my thread because "hating on mainstream shonen for being "overhyped pieces of crap" when you won't hear the same about SAO." is untrue I can take it and welcome it. That goes for all other anime/manga/light novel as well. I enjoy listening to peoples opinions and discussing with them the reasons behind their thoughts. Thats why I made the thread in the first place. Because all I was seeing was hate for the sake of hating. No reason other than "I don't like it" and "Its s**t" You though have been what I was looking for you had a valid thought out reason on why it was bad. I appreciate it because it shows that these are weak points that really bring the anime down. I respect you to because of it. Your not just some kid hiding behind a screen like most. You show you are realistic and intelligent.

||| I tried it for about, I think, seven or eight episodes, and just gave up. My usual trial period is 3-5 episodes and SAO did nothing for me in that time but I wanted to think it'd get better. But eventually I just gave up. Wasn't meant to be, I guess. It's not that I don't like anime or manga titles where the characters are stuck in a game setting, I just feel like SAO didn't do it right and was lacking in a lot of areas. Especially after learning that the maker of SAO also made Accel World, which imo was way better. What the heck?

I guess maybe I expected more... Um, I don't really know what word to use but I thought the series would pack more of a punch than it did. I didn't get the "oomph" I was looking for, if that makes sense?

And as Nytemare said, Kirito and Asuna reminded me a lot of Gary-Stu and Mary-Sue characters. They were very bland and not exciting or unique at all.

Ruthless Capitalist

6,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
SAO is all fine until Kirito avoid the harem route..
You know, people will hate it went the girl they like was given both the romance and friend flags at the same time (poor Suguha, she should just have to forget that b*****d brother of hers)..
And when the "real" season 2 starts, we already know that there will be another Suguha. The author really needs to change the main chara and just leave Kirito as cameo, really..

oh, and you can preach Bleach, Naruto, and FT all you want, but please leave One Piece alone.
I know that I was provoked, but err whatever..

mv 's Problem

Spicy Dog

17,325 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Nytemair is a new VNfag
I've never actually seen someone write a post on why they hate SAO without at least providing a few arguments as to why they dislike it so strongly.

If anything, what you do see are people who vehemently adore it just because "it's cool".

The main reason why this series gets negative attention is because of how popular it is because the anime is subpar yet millions of people treat it as if it's the anime of the decade.

Really though, any anime that has a Gary Stu/Mary Sue as the main character is bound to get negative attention no matter what.
THIS.
I haven't seen anyone hating on SAO for the sake of hating on SAO, and like Wandering said I also felt the romance was forced.

Aged Codger

Kirito is a Gary Stu and solves problems with blatant a** pulls.

Aged Recycler

5,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Converting 1 item 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Nytemair is a new VNfag
I've never actually seen someone write a post on why they hate SAO without at least providing a few arguments as to why they dislike it so strongly.

If anything, what you do see are people who vehemently adore it just because "it's cool".

The main reason why this series gets negative attention is because of how popular it is because the anime is subpar yet millions of people treat it as if it's the anime of the decade.

Really though, any anime that has a Gary Stu/Mary Sue as the main character is bound to get negative attention no matter what.

Idk man. Mahouka isn't bashed as much. Hell its not even being talked about here. And their mc is twice as gary stu as kirito.

Married Otaku

19,640 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Toastgineer
Idk man. Mahouka isn't bashed as much. Hell its not even being talked about here. And their mc is twice as gary stu as kirito.

||| Some things are best left not talked about.

Toastgineer
Nytemair is a new VNfag

Have you been outside A/M/C? Mahouka is bashed hard, though their characters did make it to top 10 most popular characters in japan during this season (ranking not limited to this season anime only, Lacus and Kira still in top 10).

Partying Reveler

why do we keep beating this dead horse. I'm starting to feel bad, just shoot it dead already.
Ehh. It starts off good by introducing all the cool concepts, and it gives a look into the characters minds and how they would deal with the situation that they currently were in. The main point of the anime was to figure out a way to escape the MMO they had been trapped in. A few episodes down the line it basically ignored that and just switched to Kirito and Asuna. I was hoping that Kirito would break out of his shell of being an individual player and join a group (which he sorta does) in order to complete the game. Instead I feel that a lot of the interesting adventure aspects of the anime were put aside in order to try and develop the main relationship.

Secondly, the characters don't really have any development. We learn little to nothing of their past, personalities, and every other character is ignored / not even brought up because of the focus on Asuna and Kirito. If they aren't falling in love with kirito or challenging him, they aren't brought up at all. Kirito is the OP as ******** god that can one shot anything just by playing the beta? Wat. It ruins the whole "Oh this could possibly end up badly" or "Man he really has to think how to overcome the struggles he runs into." Nope. It gets rid of any uncertainty aspect which in my opinion is VERY important in the setting. Kirito simply remains this boring character that doesn't develop at all really over the plot. The whole premise of the story was very interesting in my opinion but was dulled by the lack of surprise. The only real surprise that the writers of SAO included were the player killing guilds. But out of the 10,000 people that played the game did the writer really think a good portion would band together to form a guild to kill other players? This was just thrown in there haphazardly to give Kirito something to do and to investigate.

Briefly going over the 2nd arc, it just seemed that they needed more screen time to develop the story more so they just randomly threw in Alfheim Online. Not really a solid reason as to why he starts playing the game besides the fact that Asuna may be in said game. Also, why would everyone play a game so similar to SAO after it accounted for countless deaths by the users who played it? It doesn't really make sense to me. The 2nd arc also feels like a completely different show. Everything is put on the side burner so that Kirito can find Asuna. There is little to no development of plot or anything interesting really.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff