Welcome to Gaia! ::

Honestly.

I've noticed a lot of people who claim to have any kind of writing talent giving a lot of advice to people who have little or none.

Or, as I like to think of it, the one eyed, leading the blind.

Now, this is a serious question someone of substance should ask themselves:

"Why should anyone take writing advice from me?"

So, before anyone gets offended and defensive, ask yourself, why is your writing advice worth listening to?
Matsyshenko
So, before anyone gets offended and defensive, ask yourself, why is your writing advice worth listening to?

If I said something, it's because I think it'd be helpful. Whether it is or not isn't really my call to make. That's something the person I'm talking to has to decide for themselves.
You throw out a bunch of answers to a person who asks a question, one or more may be applicable enough for the asker to relate to and possibly follow. Therefore I'm going to throw my s**t in there too. May not do anything at all, but it's nice to think it may help someone some day.

Now what gives me or anybody any authority to be giving advice? Well, I don't know. Don't really care, either. I figure if you got something to say, then just say it. If it's useless to someone, it'll be rightfully ignored.

Not too big on the idea of getting advice, myself. I think firm criticism should be as embraced as friendly advice.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Well if the writer in question is asking for advice of some sort than I should give advice in return, right? (I'm talking in terms of criticism here, which I see as a form of advice).

I also tend to say what I think is most helpful for the writer to improve. I'm no expert, and they don't have to do everything I say or anything, but it's nice if they consider anything I'd advise at the very least.
So many things to comment on...
Matsyshenko
Honestly.

1] I've noticed a lot of people who claim to have any kind of writing talent giving a lot of advice to people who have little or none.

2]Or, as I like to think of it, the one eyed, leading the blind.

3]Now, this is a serious question someone of substance should ask themselves:

4]"Why should anyone take writing advice from me?"

5]So, before anyone gets offended and defensive, ask yourself, why is your writing advice worth listening to?

1] I haven't seen the claim "I have a lot of advice to give" stated by anyone on this forum. It could be implied, I suppose when someone gives lots of advice, but that could just be because they know a lot that could help on the particular subject, or maybe they thought of something that could possibly help. Sometimes its good advice, sometimes not. Ultimately, it is up to the one seeking the advice to choose whether or not to follow any given advice, like Maltese_Falcon91 said.

2] The blind leading the blind would be even less helpful... And for all anyone knows, some of the folks here could have some sort of literature-related degree.

3] What exactly would be "someone of substance"? And what exactly separates them from other people?

4] I suspect couple of reasons why people give advice: it is asked for, and the person giving the advice wants to be nice and/or helpful. The person giving the advice has nothing to gain or lose by giving it, so I don't see any issue here, and cannot understand why anyone else would. As for why someone should listen, well, the beauty of thinking for one's self is that no one has to take advice given if they don't want to. Should a person think some advice given isn't helpful, they can ignore it. It really isn't that difficult.

5] I don't think I'm being defensive, and I am certainly not offended. I am curious as to what you have seen in this forum that would cause you to ask the question you are asking, and I am confused as to why you would ask the same question twice in a row. I'm not going to answer it again, by the way. You can just read #4 twice if you want the answer twice.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that I did not answer the question from a personal perspective, so I will try to remedy that:

Why should anyone take advice me? Well, as stated before, they don't have to, and if a person finds any advice or suggestion I make to not be helpful, I would expect them to not use it. If I were the one asking for the advice or suggestion (I have in the past and probably will in the future), I won't use every bit of advice given to me, but I would be happy that someone took time out of their day to give it.

If you are asking more about qualifications that give a person a right to give advice, to be honest, I have none. Then again, one doesn't need a master's degree in any subject to give good advice. I can repeat advice given to me, or suggest things that I have done that worked for me, or simply give my own personal opinion. Sometimes this works for the person I'm talking to, sometimes it doesn't. I guess the person asking for help or advice just has to cross their fingers and hope they are given good advice. Sitting by and saying nothing when I have the possibility of helping I think is worse though.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
The real question should be 'why shouldn't you listen to us?'

Even people who haven't had literature in high school or had their work published can offer insight. We offer common sense, experience, knowledge, resource, ideas, creativity, and analysis of our likes and dislikes.

I don't need to have won a nobel prize in chemistry to tell you breathing chlorine is bad for the lungs. I don't need a PhD in Amazing ideas to help you make sense of a character's motivation. I don't need to have been to the moon just to point out a spelling error. I don't need to have memorized every single book on zombies to tell you why I have a bad experience overall with how such mythical creatures are handled.

Ultimately, why would you ask anyone random person on the internet something? If you think it's defensive of me, you knew we'd answer and made your own decision to ask here; none of us forced you not to go to the library or personally e-mail an expert.

No one here needs to justify themselves, just as you don't have to justify yourself. We shouldn't ask you if your story is worth our time, should we?

Profitable Gaian

8,600 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Why should you listen to me?

... Because you came here for advice, so clearly you think the people here have good advice.

Learned Gaian

5,750 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
You know, people who ask are judged just as much as people who answer.

If you're really going to go up to someone and suddenly announce to their face 'I don't have to listen to you. You're not worth d**k.' why should anyone give a ******** and help you out with anything?

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
I'm not a professional writer, only an aspiring one, and I never claim to have all of the answers. Also, some of the ones that I do have are going to be subjective -- there are things which I like because they're matches for my style, and there are things which I don't like because they're not a part of what I typically read or write, but they're not necessarily wrong or incorrect .. rather, I'm simply not the target audience for that particular style of writing.

That said ... most of the advice I have to offer on writing comes from my own experiences. I've been writing, off and on, for fifteen years. I've had a lot of chances to see what works for me and what doesn't. As a result, I have a lot of advice and suggestions to offer on how to do things or what approaches might work when someone is blocked. They're not all-encompassing, but for someone looking for suggestions because they're stumped, they certainly may be useful.

I'm still getting a sense of how to edit, but I've been a critique partner for a few people, including one who has a publishing contract. smile I still consider it a great honor that that particular person actually trusted me enough to ask me for input and advice -- I know what a professional editor can do and I know I'm not at that level yet. But I figure if someone who actually writes well enough to pick up a contract asks for and takes some of my advice, I have to be doing something right.

I would never want anyone to take my advice without question. I am both capable of being wrong, and very capable of mismatching my stylistic advice for a particular writer. When I give advice, it's likely to reflect on the way I'd write and my own particular style, which may not be the best match for the person who is asking for advice.

All advice should be taken with a grain of salt. Advice is going to differ from person to person and some of it isn't going to be useful. Which is true of advice in every situation, I think.
Because if you're asking for opinions, advice, or critiques, any input from others is worth taking into consideration. It doesn't matter how experienced, decorated, or smart they are. It's input. It's a different perspective. Be thankful for it. I know I am.

Toothsome Elder

I'm a Creative Writing/Literature professor who has been published and won prizes. I write book reviews and copy edit professionally.

But mostly, two heads are better than one. The best thing is to talk it out. Asking questions and recommending similar material to read is my modus operandi.
What else is there to say?

When it comes right down to it, even if we gave credentials, you'd have no reason to think we weren't lying. No one is going to post personal information on the internet so that you can do a background check. Besides that, I've seen some horrible published works and amazing stories done by hobbyists. I've been appalled by the ideas of some professors and amazed by the written thoughts of teenagers. So even having credentials doesn't guarantee the quality of advice.

This is a forum for helping others with writing. If one doesn't like our answers, nothing is stopping them from ignoring them or going elsewhere. If our suggestions aren't helpful, no one is forcing anyone to stick around or use them. But if it works, then maybe, just maybe, a couple of us know what we're talking about. Or at least enough to be helpful in a specific instance.

But when it comes to writing advice, nothing is guaranteed in the first place. Some things work better or not at all depending on the person. This has been proven and often stated by many published authors. Just go look at some author blogs on writing methods- chances are you'll see something along the lines of "This is what works for me". Often times there is not one answer but a bunch of things to try and see what works.

You're not paying for a service, you're not being forced in here against your will, and it doesn't cost anything to use your own head and try some things out for yourself. It's free advice. Some good, some bad, but you can choose what to listen to. And total strangers are putting aside their own time to attempt to help you out. What more do you want?

Premium Gaian

Honestly..It is true that most likely nobody here is qualified to give any advice, but nobody is about to post credentials....But you know what, people come here asking for some sort of help, and nobody here is claiming to be a professional. So, anyone who comes here asking for advice, is basically asking random people. Everyone here is doing their best to answer questions that are being asked. If people want advice from a professional, then they can go out and seek editers, professional writers, and writer critics, who will charge for their services.

And I fully agree 100% with what Kairi said. And besides, half the people on here are asking for a readers opinion on their story and how they can possibly improve it. They're not asking for true advice, they're asking for critiqes from people who read, and what they generally like. Most "professionals", do the same thing, some of the time they are going off the general opinion of a group of people, and their experiences with what most people didn't like, and did like. Which is all advice in this kind of category is, nothing more than one's personal experience and the general amount of what they've been told. It doesn't make it fact, and if somebody doesn't like what is being said, they can ignore it

Lavish Strawberry

you absolutely do not have to have any writing skill whatsoever to give writing advice. why? because who is it that buys books and supports writers? non-writers. if you want to make money off of your writing one day, listen to everyone. no matter their skill set. if you want to be an elitist hobbyist who genuinely doesn't care about gaining a wider readership, only accept advice from "quality" writers. whatever that means, these days.

Popular Member

7,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tipsy 100
[ estuary ]
you absolutely do not have to have any writing skill whatsoever to give writing advice. why? because who is it that buys books and supports writers? non-writers. if you want to make money off of your writing one day, listen to everyone. no matter their skill set. if you want to be an elitist hobbyist who genuinely doesn't care about gaining a wider readership, only accept advice from "quality" writers. whatever that means, these days.

How much non-spam is asked on here that actually requires knowledge of writing that amounts to more than knowing how to read?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff