Welcome to Gaia! ::

As I was leaving work on Monday (I work at a pretty prestigious daycare), my boss asked me about my cousin who apparently put me down as a reference in her application without asking me. My cousin is 25, still lives at home, and has a four year old daughter that she barely takes care of. She's unreliable and lazy. So when my boss asked, I told her the truth. I couldn't have my cousin reflecting on me. I save the money I make during the summer to pay for bills and books when college starts up again. Since then, though, my cousin has been haunting me, asking me why they haven't gotten back to her, if they've asked me about her, etc... I don't know what to say. I love my cousin but I couldn't have given her a reference and if I tell her the truth, she'll blow up and have other members of my family against me. I don't know what to do.

Feral Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
Suggest other work? Maybe look up a job or two and encourage her to apply. Tell her it's just really hard to get in there and they are looking for X,Y,Z specifics.

I would white lie and say that they haven't spoken to you about it at all and it is inappropriate to bring it up.

You guys are already over staffed. Or maybe the position was just filled.

Tough love. Hah. You did the right thing IMO.
tell her to talk to the manager and you have no control over them. They're the ones that do the hiring I don't.

or the truth.

I'd go for the truth.

Conservative Explorer

Unless you've told her otherwise, just lie and say that you hadn't heard anything. Applications got lost and thrown away or ignored all the time. Maybe she just didn't make it past the HR department.
Tell her they never asked about her. Tell your supervisor if she follows up, to not mention you two speaking. Lots of people never get calls back, and you did the right things. It's a disservice to everyone if you give someone a good reference who you know isn't right for the job. I've done that before and I caught s**t from my manager until he quit. Thankfully she was chill about it and knew it wasn't my fault, but she was like "yeah, he was a dud of a hire."

Bashful Bookworm

I'd be honest and say that your manager asked her about you and she put you down as a reference without asking.
If I were you I'd tell her you said you couldn't vouch for her and that you don't want to be a reference for anywhere else she apply's for either.
I've only vouched for one friend and she ended up calling in sick a lot and was essentially unreliable. It saved my butt that I'm a great worker, but I'll never vouch for her again.

Bibliophile

23,850 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Hero 100
I maybe wouldn't tell her what you said, but I would say, "By the way, if you're going to put someone down for a reference you should always ask them for permission first." You might want to say that you were put on the spot when your boss asked so you just blurted something out, but you could probably have given a better reference if you'd had time to think about it. You could also suggest that he realised she hadn't asked you, which would reflect badly on her.

Fluffy Wolf

It's not your job to get her hired, and it was disrespectful of her to put you down as a reference without asking first. You did the right thing by being honest with your manager.

My dad had a similar experience at his store. (He just works at SaveMart though.) One of his cousins applied for a job, and the managers were interested in hiring him. My dad put in a good word because he thought his cousin would do okay. It turned out his cousin did terribly, was lazy, etc. My dad's manager was complaining to him about it one day, asking my dad what he should do, and my dad was just like, "I'm sorry, I thought he would be doing better. Just fire him. It doesn't bother me."

I butchered the story, but you get the point. Vouching for family is a sensitive subject. Most people assume that just because you're related to them, you'll always talk them up, put in a good word for them, etc. even if they're awful. As for telling them what you did, that's different. I'm usually one who vouches for honesty at all times, but if telling your cousin the truth is going to make your life super miserable, just keep what you said to yourself.

I really like how Ladybird Sauce phrased it. You should at least tell your cousin to ask you first before putting you down as a reference. Emphasize that while you did speak with your manager, it it NOT your job to ensure she gets hired. That is solely the job of the management/hiring team, and if she wants an update, she needs to call them directly and not make you the middle man. I would only refrain from telling her that you said negative things about her, just because if she makes the association "Bonjour Belle talked crap about me to her managers and now they won't hire me!" (Nevermind the fact she's unqualified and lacks experience.) she can accuse you of slander and just generally make a gigantic shitstorm out of this.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

Just ask her, "What do you mean?" because, you know, she didn't ask your permission.
              wink
              Or just say that you haven't heard anything about the position yet.
              I would never vouch for any of my family, if it makes you feel better.
              They're all lazy and unmotivated, lol. User Image

User ImageUser Image

Invisible Senshi

The best thing to do is to keep lying. If you told her, "Hey, I told the manager that you're lazy and you should not be hired," she would HATE you.

If you two have a good relationship, don't tell her.
If you don't really care about her, tell the truth.

Dapper Reveler

Probably not the best idea and maybe seems immoral, but in your shoes, I would just keep playing dumb. At the end of the day you did what you think is right and so you've no reason to feel guilty Or ashamed. That you don't tell her this, I would consider it a separate matter entirely.

Kawaii Sentai

User Image
User ImageUser Image

I would lie about it and say they havent said anything.

User ImageUser Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces