Welcome to Gaia! ::

UPDATE: On my watch it's already past time, so that would mean the day is not today. Even so, for those that have a lot of things to salvage, such as for example entire RP threads, I would suggest you dedicate some time to do it so that when D-day comes without warning you will be prepared. Some things might take long to save, it's best to start early as most likely there will be no previous notice (TOS).
I have no regrets from posting other than seeing so much hate, but the purpose of this thread remains and that is to give early (as early as possible) advice for users to start saving what they wish to preserve from Gaia, in view of the possibility that the site will close down. That is all for now, and here's wishing for another 10 years of Gaia. A better Gaia, if that is still possible.

(...)

I'll go straight to the point because I want people to have time to save their stuff in case I am right.

I know a lot of you must have things in Gaia that you would like to save if you knew in advance the site was closing down. These could be the contacts of friends, RP's, screens of the inventory, memorable posts, private messages, art, favourite avatars, one's profile page, etc.
My advise is for everyone who has anything in Gaia they would like to salvage, please go do it now and tell your friends to do the same. If I am wrong there is no harm in having saved your precious memories, but if I am right then you will be relieved you have something to remember.

I've just come across this eye-opening thread and I felt sick from reading it. The thread is called Eerie changes to sections of the ToS (Site closure) and it goes:

ToS Section 3
Modification of these Terms. Gaia reserves the right to modify or discontinue the Site with or without notice to you. Gaia will not be liable to you or any third party if we elect to exercise our right to discontinue the Site. Gaia reserves the right, at our discretion, to change, modify, add, or remove portions of these Terms at any time by posting an updated version on the Website. Please check these Terms and any Guidelines periodically for changes. Your continued use of Gaia Online after the posting of changes constitutes your binding acceptance of such changes.If the modified Terms are not acceptable to you, then your only recourse is to discontinue using the Site.

Section 8
d.ALL SUBSCRIPTION FEES AND PURCHASES ASSOCIATED WITH VIRTUAL CURRENCY OR ITEMS, IF ANY, ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT GAIA IS NOT REQUIRED TO PROVIDE A REFUND AND THAT YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE MONEY BACK OR OTHER COMPENSATION FOR YOUR INVENTORY OF VIRTUAL GOLD, CASH OR ITEMS WHEN AN ACCOUNT IS CLOSED, WHETHER VOLUNTARILY OR INVOLUNTARILY OR IN THE EVENT THAT GAIA DISCONTINUES THE SITE.

I can't shake the feeling that Gaia will close when the sale closes. In addition to everything that ever game me the impression Gaia is near the end I've just just realized there is a cash sale which ends at midnight PST. I hope as many users as possible get to save their important things just in case.

Tipsy Genius

The clause has been there for a while. Most (if not all) websites with a cash/premium feature have it for legal reasons, so nobody sues them for the money they spent on a virtual currency (in this case, GC) in the event that the site closes. People need to chill the ******** out.

Shade

16,900 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Devin 200
  • Punk Patrol 250
holy nyx everyones freaking out
that clause has been there since december, but people have only just noticed it now
its like an undetonated bomb; if you don't know its armed, then you treat it as nothing
but as soon as you hear the slightest possibility that it could explode, people are fleeing the building

honestly, we all knew gaia could close at any time, but we haven't freaked out
suddenly we see it in writing and its like someones written gaia into a deathnote or something

Virtuous Prophet

11,500 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Invisibility 100
sterek
The clause has been there for a while. Most (if not all) websites with a cash/premium feature have it for legal reasons, so nobody sues them for the money they spent on a virtual currency (in this case, GC) in the event that the site closes. People need to chill the ******** out.
Then this thread isn't even for you. You don't have to save your stuff if you don't want to. No need to get your panties in a twist just because some one cares enough about other people to want to share their feelings and advice just in case something happens.

Time-traveling Senshi

Good Gaia not this again. Not the "They're just having this sale in order to close the site" paranoia again. That clause is your standard online site CYA and my brother-in-law the corporate lawyer would tell anyone who runs an online business or uses a website to take payments to have something like that in there if they had to close the site or the entire business for whatever reason.

This is why we need to stop lying to the internet and actually "read and understand the terms of service for this website".

Tipsy Genius

illumi zaoldyek
sterek
Then this thread isn't even for you. You don't have to save your stuff if you don't want to. No need to get your panties in a twist just because some one cares enough about other people to want to share their feelings and advice just in case something happens.

People have been excessively making doomsday threads for the past two days and causing users to worry for nothing. I "care enough about other people" to give them facts instead of alarmist speculation with no actual basis.

Feral Kitty

illumi zaoldyek
sterek

Thank you for saying this. I'm tired of seeing people who take this kind of stuff up the a** just because other people want to cherish and remember and save the moments and memories they had with friends on here.

Sage Prophet

13,100 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Wall Street 200
  • Invisibility 100
sterek
illumi zaoldyek
sterek

People have been excessively making doomsday threads for the past two days and causing users to worry for nothing. I "care enough about other people" to give them actual facts instead of alarmist speculation with no actual basis.

Oh I didn't realise you had 'staff' written under your username.
Thanks you so much for your "facts" that makes us so relieved. rolleyes

stukky's Fangirl

Fairy Type

60,050 Points
  • Cute Monster 500
  • Manchurian Candidate 500
  • Budding Witch 250
rofl yeah it's super proof that gaia is going to go offline at midnight after a sale that they had last year as well because you just read a clause that has been in the TOS for a year

you might wanna loosen the tinfoil man you'll get a lot fewer 'sick feelings'

Virtuous Prophet

11,500 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Invisibility 100
trrtls
illumi zaoldyek
sterek

Thank you for saying this. I'm tired of seeing people who take this kind of stuff up the a** just because other people want to cherish and remember and save the moments and memories they had with friends on here.
I know right, it's unbelievable. How can that guy even argue, I'm not even going to bother reply. What happened to being friendly and kind and actually caring about others... Those people that attack everything and everyone for no reason other than petty gratification show nothing but how ugly they are on the inside.
Thank you for your support heart

Princess Nerd

20,175 Points
  • Master Librarian 500
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Magical Girl 50
Gosh, not THIS trash again rolleyes
I sometimes worry about the mental state of some of these Gaians and wonder if they could pass a simple GED test.

That has been a "rule" for ages, they have just added more onto it to cover their asses in case anything happens in the future. : /

Feral Kitty

illumi zaoldyek
trrtls
illumi zaoldyek
sterek

I know right, it's unbelievable. How can that guy even argue, I'm not even going to bother reply. And there are more like him, look at the other posts. What happened to being friendly and kind and actually caring about others... Those people that attack everything and everyone for no reason other than petty gratification show nothing but how ugly they are on the inside.

Right? The community has changed so much and is now full of rude, inconsiderate people. I still care about others, even if I don't know then, I still have to show some regard towards then. 3nodding

I know I'll definitely try to keep contact with my closest friend even if the site does close down. heart

Tipsy Genius

True Manticore
sterek
illumi zaoldyek
sterek

People have been excessively making doomsday threads for the past two days and causing users to worry for nothing. I "care enough about other people" to give them actual facts instead of alarmist speculation with no actual basis.

Oh I didn't realise you had 'staff' written under your username.
Thanks you so much for your "facts" that makes us so relieved. rolleyes

I studied laws that apply to online businesses because I'm a web developer and I need to know that s**t if I don't want to get my a** sued. Conveniently, it's what Gaia is doing (or rather, did several months ago) by adding the clause in their terms of service. I'm so sorry for wanting to inform people instead of making them panic! You're right, watching a bunch of people misunderstand legal terms is a lot more interesting. I'll keep my mouth shut and grab some popcorn next time.

stukky's Fangirl

Fairy Type

60,050 Points
  • Cute Monster 500
  • Manchurian Candidate 500
  • Budding Witch 250
illumi zaoldyek
trrtls
illumi zaoldyek
sterek

I know right, it's unbelievable. How can that guy even argue, I'm not even going to bother reply. What happened to being friendly and kind and actually caring about others... Those people that attack everything and everyone for no reason other than petty gratification show nothing but how ugly they are on the inside.

is it more or less rude than someone who posts alarmist crap to cause users to panic for literally no reason? rolleyes

Magical Girl

22,575 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Jacob 100
sterek
illumi zaoldyek
sterek

People have been excessively making doomsday threads for the past two days and causing users to worry for nothing. I "care enough about other people" to give them facts instead of alarmist speculation with no actual basis.
Two days? More like two years rolleyes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces