Welcome to Gaia! ::

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Whalers from a Japanese coastal town have celebrated the start of this year's hunting season by slicing up a whale in front of a crowd of school children.

In the town of Wada, 62 miles (100 kilometers) south of Tokyo in Chiba prefecture, dozens of 10-year-old students watched Thursday as workers carved up a 30-foot Baird's beaked whale during an educational field trip, before being served a meal of fried whale meat.

Whaling remains a way of life for fishermen in Wada, and they are eager to pass on the trade to the next generation. Children are taught about the history of whaling, the biology of the animals, and how to cook the meat.

Whalers say they've been catching and eating whales in the area for centuries. This year's hunting season, which began on June 20, is the first since an international court ordered Japan to end its controversial research whaling expedition in the Antarctic, after failing to find evidence the program had legitimate scientific value.

The city of Minamiboso, of which Wada is a part, has one of a handful of ports that is exempt from the ban under a small-scale coastal whaling program.

So far this year, Gaibo Whaling Company has hunted six whales in the city's coastal waters and plans to catch another 24 before the season ends in August.

Despite the Antarctic ban and growing pressure from the international community, Japan has continued its northwest Pacific scientific whaling mission. It is also eager to revise its Antarctic program to allow the hunt to continue while satisfying the demands of the U.N.'s International Court of Justice.

In Japan's parliament last month, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said he would like the country to resume commercial whaling "in order to obtain scientific information indispensable to the management of the whale resources."

But environmentalists say Japan's whaling research program is a thinly veiled attempt to circumvent a ban on the commercial whale meat trade.

Japan begins whaling season with meat feast for school children
My sophomore yr in highschool i had dairy sciencs class and on a field trip we went to a slughter house. We saw pigs, and bulls killed, skinned and chopped up right before our eyes. That was pretty crazy, now watching it happen to a large whale would be quite a bit more shocking 3nodding

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
Happy whaling, Japan!

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
MY BUTTERFLY EFFECT
My sophomore yr in highschool i had dairy sciencs class and on a field trip we went to a slughter house. We saw pigs, and bulls killed, skinned and chopped up right before our eyes. That was pretty crazy, now watching it happen to a large whale would be quite a bit more shocking 3nodding

For me it was 7th grade and a cow being butchered.
We were doing a science project on eyes and heart and brains and such. For some reason we didn't get human ones to work on so we got cows. haha!

I think kids seeing meat butchered is a good thing.
Whether you are pro meat or against it - people should understand where it comes from and not just think it magically shows up at McDonalds.

I do think they should probably stop the whaling but school kids seeing it is irrelevant. It could have just as easily been some other meat source that is not endangered.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
David2074
MY BUTTERFLY EFFECT

We were doing a science project on eyes and heart and brains and such. For some reason we didn't get human ones to work on so we got cows. haha!

Whether you are pro meat or against it - people should understand where it comes from and not just think it magically shows up at McDonalds.

I do think they should probably stop the whaling but school kids seeing it is irrelevant. It could have just as easily been some other meat source that is not endangered.

From what I been hearing the Minke Whale is not Endanger and that normally what they go for.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
xdivision_whitey
David2074
MY BUTTERFLY EFFECT

From what I been hearing the Minke Whale is not Endanger and that normally what they go for.

Good. It appears you are correct about not endangered.
The IUCN Red List labels the common minke whale as Least Concern.The Antarctic minke whale is listed as Data Deficient. COSEWIC puts both species in the Not At Risk category. NatureServe lists them as G5 which means the species is secure on global range.

I am sometimes amused at the hypocrisy of some Westerners being outraged at some cultures for killing / eating a common whale like they have done for hundreds of years, but then thinking East Indians are stupid / unreasonable because some of them are outraged that we are killing / eating cattle like we have done for hundreds of years. Perspective changes things.

I feel care should be given to not over fish any species but it seems the public only gets outraged over certain ones. Kill a common whale or a dog for food and Western civilization is all "OMG your EVIL!" but kill millions of cows and over fish salmon and crabs and the worst complaint is usually just that the meat price at the supermarket is too high. Whether it is whales or trees or strip mining minerals the emphasis should be on moderation and preserving the species / resource.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
i guess japan will be losing that IWC membership anytime soon. why join an organization to protect whales when you're just gonna kill them off under the table for food because it's "a 400 year old tradition". i don't see how killing whales NOW IN 2014 is a huge food source to the japanese people.

Kawaii Shoujo

MY BUTTERFLY EFFECT
I know I would never be able to stomach on seeing something so bloody emo

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
>whale resources

...Something about this term seriously irks me.

Friendly Explorer

Mmmm whale meat.

J/k, I have no clue what whale tastes like.

Hilarious Loiterer

8,450 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Millionaire 200
...Okay...

Ignoring the various problems with whaling that'll start in this thread, uh... why would you show that to 10 year olds? eek
fairy-phoenix
MY BUTTERFLY EFFECT
I know I would never be able to stomach on seeing something so bloody emo

Aww its ok fairy emotion_hug

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
David2074
xdivision_whitey
David2074
MY BUTTERFLY EFFECT

Good. It appears you are correct about not endangered.
The IUCN Red List labels the common minke whale as Least Concern.The Antarctic minke whale is listed as Data Deficient. COSEWIC puts both species in the Not At Risk category. NatureServe lists them as G5 which means the species is secure on global range.

I am sometimes amused at the hypocrisy of some Westerners being outraged at some cultures for killing / eating a common whale like they have done for hundreds of years, but then thinking East Indians are stupid / unreasonable because some of them are outraged that we are killing / eating cattle like we have done for hundreds of years. Perspective changes things.

I feel care should be given to not over fish any species but it seems the public only gets outraged over certain ones. Kill a common whale or a dog for food and Western civilization is all "OMG your EVIL!" but kill millions of cows and over fish salmon and crabs and the worst complaint is usually just that the meat price at the supermarket is too high. Whether it is whales or trees or strip mining minerals the emphasis should be on moderation and preserving the species / resource.
I agree we shouldn't over fish/hunt anything. We should do all we can to preserve a good number of any species.

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
Honestly this doesn't piss me off nearly as much as what is happening to Elephants, Rhinos, and Sharks by the Chinese (mostly, though Ivory is also popular elsewhere). At least they are eating more than just one part of the animal, aren't killing them just for a part to be used as some fancy decoration (or 'medicine' even though it is no different than your toenails), and generally aren't killing anything that is at risk of going extinct within my lifetime.

Dangerous Ladykiller

13,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Nerd 50
Ughh...it breaks my heart to see those whales being hunted. Their biology is just amazing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff